Author Topic: How are the "new" LCT  (Read 4710 times)

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
How are the "new" LCT
« on: 25 April 2018, 22:01:32 »
Just wondering how the new Lcts work. I like the com guards combined arms scheme so I am just curious what players think of the lct. Is a lct similar to a Level IV or two Level IIIs thanks

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
Re: How are the "new" LCT
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2018, 03:13:51 »
It's basically a mini RCT. According to Field Report AFFS an LCT is made up of a battalion of mechs with a lance- or two lance-sized command unit on top, 4 to 6 battalions of vehicles (half heavy/assault, half fast cavalry), an artillery company and up to a regiment of battle armour infantry. There's a VTOL component of unspecified size that is also used to transport the battle armour, which presumably means it will be a battalion sized formation at least. Aerospace support does seem to be an organic part of an LCT that isn't mentioned in the Field Report breakdown. In Field Manuals 3085 and 3135 we see that all the LCTs include an Aerospace brigade or wing. A 'brigade' is not a fixed size and could really be anything from 2 wings upwards in size. 

In ComGuard/WoBM terms an LCT is bigger than a Level IV in raw numbers. A Level III is basically the same as a batallion or aerospace wing, and a Level IV is the same as 6 battalions. A LCT has at least 6 battalions, and usually more. A big LCT could have nearly 13 battalions worth of units (1.3 mech, 3 heavy/assault vehicles, 3 fast vehicles, 0.3 artillery, 3 infantry, 2 VTOL) plus two or more aerospace wings, but I think few LCTs will be maxed out that way.

We can probably eyeball an average LCT as being about 10 battalions compared to the 6 of a Level IV. In the end though ComGuard and WoBM Divisions usually had a much larger complement of mechs, with 100 or more compared to the 40-44 of the LCT, so on the grounds that the battlemech is the king of the battlefield the average Level IV would be a stronger force.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2018, 03:18:52 »
I have to ask LCT?

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2018, 03:28:15 »
Light Combat Unit. After the Jihad the FedSuns reorganized many of their RCTs as LCTs (despite actually having come out of the Jihad in pretty good shape). Part of the reason was that they found big RCTs to be logistically inflexible too.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2018, 03:52:25 »
Light Combat Unit. After the Jihad the FedSuns reorganized many of their RCTs as LCTs (despite actually having come out of the Jihad in pretty good shape). Part of the reason was that they found big RCTs to be logistically inflexible too.
Thank you.

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2018, 03:55:39 »
Derp, but I went and got the acronym wrong. It's Light Combat Team.  :))

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2018, 12:24:12 »
Totally came in here to sing the praises of the LCT-6M Locust. Left disappointed.  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2018, 08:47:22 »
The mech contingent size, may vary.

There are numerous examples of LCT's with larger complements of
mechs.  It might be a command company, it may be as much as a
second battalion entirely.

Generally though, a battalion.

"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2018, 17:59:14 »
An advantage to the LCT is they make great garrison units as you don't have to split up a RCT to cover multiple worlds and moving them from place to place is easier. The entire thing can be moved via a single jumpship if packed correctly. Something you can't do with a normal regiment much less a RCT. They also make a very good ready made raiding unit and quick reaction force.

Always figured pairing them with say a Fox would have been the way to go. The LCT would have been deadly at that point particularly if a attached jumpship stacked with Pocket Warships. Or vica versa!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2018, 18:34:20 »
Totally came in here to sing the praises of the LCT-6M Locust. Left disappointed.  ;D

Ooh, an LCT where the mech battalion is composed entirely of LCTs...
« Last Edit: 13 May 2018, 18:37:43 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2018, 07:38:16 »
Ooh, an LCT where the mech battalion is composed entirely of LCTs...

If that battalion is named anything other than "The Plague", I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2018, 21:11:11 »
Now I'm thinking of a Marian Hergernony maniple of LCT-5Vs!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2018, 13:06:16 »
If that battalion is named anything other than "The Plague", I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
Wasn’t that a regiment of the Dismal Ds back in the day?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2018, 13:47:58 »

You're not the only one!
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2018, 23:26:33 »
Wasn’t that a regiment of the Dismal Ds back in the day?

1st Dismal Disinherited: Krieger's Plague of Locusts
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2018, 15:25:23 »
Now all you have to do is paint up 40 Locusts.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2018, 12:52:52 »
An advantage to the LCT is they make great garrison units as you don't have to split up a RCT to cover multiple worlds and moving them from place to place is easier. The entire thing can be moved via a single jumpship if packed correctly. Something you can't do with a normal regiment much less a RCT. They also make a very good ready made raiding unit and quick reaction force.

Always figured pairing them with say a Fox would have been the way to go. The LCT would have been deadly at that point particularly if a attached jumpship stacked with Pocket Warships. Or vica versa!

Ok, I'm actually wondering about the bolded portion. Has anyone ever sat down and worked out exactly what this would involve? I mean, an Overlord would suffice for the 'Mech battalion of a "typical" LCT, with the command company probably being packed in storage on a separate Dropship, but what about the rest? You'd need transport for between 4-6 battalions of vehicles, an artillery company, plus BA support (max strength at a Regiment, but most use less), and the VTOLs to carry the BA around.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2018, 13:42:49 »
Ok, I'm actually wondering about the bolded portion. Has anyone ever sat down and worked out exactly what this would involve? I mean, an Overlord would suffice for the 'Mech battalion of a "typical" LCT, with the command company probably being packed in storage on a separate Dropship, but what about the rest? You'd need transport for between 4-6 battalions of vehicles, an artillery company, plus BA support (max strength at a Regiment, but most use less), and the VTOLs to carry the BA around.

I suppose the exact composition of transport needed would vary wildly, but Triumphs are probably the most common answer to the vehicle question. It goes deeper than that though- you need ships to carry ammo, fuel, etc. (the actual Mech/vehicle ships carry some, but is it enough for an extended campaign?), couldn't hurt to have air support via a carrier like a Vengeance or something like that if you can (or at least a couple of Leopard CVs)... honestly you're looking at more than a Star Lord can carry, probably a few Jumpships needed for your full transportation needs.

+Crow T. Robot+

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2018, 14:04:26 »
I suppose the exact composition of transport needed would vary wildly, but Triumphs are probably the most common answer to the vehicle question. It goes deeper than that though- you need ships to carry ammo, fuel, etc. (the actual Mech/vehicle ships carry some, but is it enough for an extended campaign?), couldn't hurt to have air support via a carrier like a Vengeance or something like that if you can (or at least a couple of Leopard CVs)... honestly you're looking at more than a Star Lord can carry, probably a few Jumpships needed for your full transportation needs.

Hmm. If you cut out the logistical tail and limit it to just the combat arm needed to make a landing and hold it, you're looking at an Overlord, 2 Triumphs, and 2 Gazelles, which can fit onto a Star Lord with a spare collar, assuming you go with 2 Battalions of Heavy/Assault vehicles and an equal number of Lights. Add in a Vengeance for Aerospace cover, and that should be enough to secure a landing zone for the supply Dropships to come in.

Edit: Hmm. Move the Vengeance to the logistical train, and you could probably stick a Condor refitted for BA duties on the empty collar.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2018, 14:44:22 by Terrace »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2018, 14:42:17 »
The Colossus seems well suited to LCT transport (or perhaps more accurately, the LCT might have been configured with the Colossus in mind). One or two of those would cut down on the number of collars required considerably, making room for logistical and aerospace support.

One thing that seems to get overlooked though is passenger space for the infantry. Stuffing your foot troops in bays long term isn't really desirable.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 23 May 2018, 15:00:01 »
The Colossus seems well suited to LCT transport (or perhaps more accurately, the LCT might have been configured with the Colossus in mind). One or two of those would cut down on the number of collars required considerably, making room for logistical and aerospace support.

One thing that seems to get overlooked though is passenger space for the infantry. Stuffing your foot troops in bays long term isn't really desirable.

Well, according to Sarna, the Sun did put that design back into production during the Jihad. Lemme see how that alters my math...

Well, you can replace the Overlord and one Triumph with a single Colossus, since it carries 36 Battlemech bays and 72 heavy vehicle bays, which is a battalion of Battlemechs and two battalions of heavy vehicles, so that's another free collar right there. It also comes with 12 platoons of infantry, which can provide security once their on the ground. And you still have a free collar even once you add a BA-refitted Condor, so might as well bring that Vengeance back.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2018, 15:54:46 »
Hmm. If you cut out the logistical tail and limit it to just the combat arm needed to make a landing and hold it, you're looking at an Overlord, 2 Triumphs, and 2 Gazelles, which can fit onto a Star Lord with a spare collar, assuming you go with 2 Battalions of Heavy/Assault vehicles and an equal number of Lights. Add in a Vengeance for Aerospace cover, and that should be enough to secure a landing zone for the supply Dropships to come in.

Edit: Hmm. Move the Vengeance to the logistical train, and you could probably stick a Condor refitted for BA duties on the empty collar.

I'm a sucker for having a beatstick to open the fun too- if there's somewhere to cram in an assault ship I'm happy to do so. Instant LZ, just add monstrous wad of guns. Fortress in particular, but I'll happily settle for even an Avenger.

+Crow T. Robot+

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 23 May 2018, 18:18:56 »
A Colossus (which TRO 3075 says the FedSuns are putting back into production at Firgrove), an Excalibur, and a Hercules can transport 48 mechs, 198 heavy vehicles, and 36 platoons of conventional infantry.  Throw in a Vengeance for ASF cover, assume the battle armor suits are being stored in cargo and we're bunking the troopers in the infantry bays, and that comes pretty close to an LCT's loadout.  Actually, you've also got space for all the artillery (assuming heavy vehicles) and some extra to build in better infantry quarters or real BA bays or something.  Then throw in an Overlord-A3 and a Mule and you've got a nice little force.  A bit of a "eggs in one basket" problem, but that's inherent to using one jumpship anyway.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2018, 23:04:57 »
A Colossus (which TRO 3075 says the FedSuns are putting back into production at Firgrove), an Excalibur, and a Hercules can transport 48 mechs, 198 heavy vehicles, and 36 platoons of conventional infantry.  Throw in a Vengeance for ASF cover, assume the battle armor suits are being stored in cargo and we're bunking the troopers in the infantry bays, and that comes pretty close to an LCT's loadout.  Actually, you've also got space for all the artillery (assuming heavy vehicles) and some extra to build in better infantry quarters or real BA bays or something.  Then throw in an Overlord-A3 and a Mule and you've got a nice little force.  A bit of a "eggs in one basket" problem, but that's inherent to using one jumpship anyway.

*does some figuring*

That... actually seems to work. Sure, you'd need a bit more to carry an LCT that has six armored battalions, but that's the smallest number of Dropships I've seen someone pack that much stuff into.

I think we've got the basics down! And if you're willing to put the Vengeance, Overlord-A3, and Mule on a different Jumpship, you could carry the combat arm on an Invader!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2018, 10:14:04 »
I would assuem that the 6 vehicle battalion LCT's probably have more Battalions because the vehicles tend towards lighter designs. which means you could probably refit their dropship(s) with light vehicle bays instead of the heavy vehicle bays, and get an extra 50% carry capacity that way.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2018, 10:47:24 »
I was trying to use only canon ships, but this is certainly true if you’re allowing customization.
Sunrise is Coming.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2018, 12:21:10 »
I would only have a Overlord, a Union, a ASF carrier, a couple assualt ships and the rest on cargo ships. The mechs establish your LZ and the Mules come in with vehicles and ammo in the next wave. It cuts down on what could shot down and lets you establish your LZ faster. I might have a BA dropper in that first wave too but no more than a battalion.

The Mules could also carry combat engineers to improve that LZ for any follow on forces. 
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

Onion2112

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2018, 20:58:28 »
I'd suggest the "carried by a Star Lord comment" would refer to a standard LCT (in 3145), for me this would be comprised of 48 mechs, 18 ASFs, 72 Heavy AFVs (2 bns) and 72 Cavalry AFVs (2 bns), 12 Artillery (1 Bty), 1024 Battle armour troopers (4 AFFS bns), 72 VTOLs (2 bns) and maybe a support battalion (medical, engineers, security, MPs?)

In FM:3145 the 1st Ceti Hussars LCT (that's if Ceti Hussars are still LCTs) are mentioned as losing a Colossus in a Jump accident, plus the 17th Avalon Hussars LCT write up also mentions the loss of a Colossus to the Capellans, so obviously that implies LCTs are using them.

According to the post Jihad Objectives the Federated Suns is known to produce the following battalion sized dropships: Colossus, Excalibur, Mule, Seeker & Vengeance, with it reported the Fed-Boeing yards at Delavan will commence Overlord & Conquistador production. The smaller Gazelle and Aurora are also produced.

With these available options for a front line LCT you could build a Dropship squadron of a Colossus, Excalibur, 2 Seekers, Conquistador & Mule.
Theres more than 10000 tonnes of cargo space here, plus enough space for 72 mechs, 18 ASFs, 1600 infantry and 228 Vehicles (the Battlearmour suits (plus maybe APCs) & VTOLs could be placed in the access mech or vehicle bays or stored as cargo).
The Conquistador could be replaced with a dedicated fighter carrier, although the Vengeance is probably overkill

Id suggest a Militia or Training LCTs are probably not using this type or squadron, probably transported as cargo, maybe an Overlord with a Seeker but lots of Mules, as they wouldn't be intended to perform "hot" drops