Author Topic: A Land Battlecruiser  (Read 2142 times)

CloaknDagger

• Major
A Land Battlecruiser
« on: 21 January 2015, 02:52:02 »
It can outgun anything it can't outrun. It can outrun anything it can't outgun.

I present: The VMLS (Very Mobile Launcher System)

Code: [Select]
VMLS (Very Mobile Launcher System)

Mass: 100 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Motive Type: Hovercraft
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: All Eras (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-F-A
Production Year: 0
Cost: 10,030,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,892

Power Plant:  275 Fusion Engine
Cruise Speed: 64.8 km/h
Flanking Speed: 97.2 km/h
Armor:  Standard Armor
Armament:
    1  Arrow IV Missile
    2  ER Medium Lasers
    1  TAG
Manufacturer:
    Primary Factory:
Communications System:
Targeting and Tracking System:

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard                      50 points               10.00
Engine:             Fusion Engine                275                      23.50
    Cruise MP:  6
    Flank MP:   9
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             10                        0.00
Control Equipment:                                                         5.00
Lift Equipment:                                                           10.00
Turret:                                                                    2.00
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 390                 24.50

Armor     
                                                      Factor     
                                               Front     94       
                                          Left/Right   78/78       
                                              Turret     78       
                                                Rear     62       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat     Spaces     Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arrow IV Missile                             T         10        1        15.00
2 ER Medium Lasers                           T         10        2         2.00
TAG                                          T         0         1         1.00
@Arrow IV (Cluster) (5)                      BD        -         0         1.00
@Arrow IV (Non-Home) (5)                     BD        -         0         1.00
@Arrow IV (Homing) (20)                      BD        -         0         4.00
@Arrow IV (ADA) (5)                          BD        -         0         1.00

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:     13    Points: 19
6h         3       1       0       0      4     0   Structure:  5
Special Abilities: ARTAIS, TAG, TUR(3/1/0)

It can kill aircraft, infantry, vehicles, and mechs alike, and the thick armor means there's no reason to ever lose one to enemy fire. It functions perfectly even in high ECM conditions, and if the enemy closes to within minimum range, it has a pair of ER Medium Lasers to push them back.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
Re: A Land Battlecruiser
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2015, 03:10:58 »
I love this thing!
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2015, 12:03:50 »
Just a few problems .  1 : This is a hover tank that is over 50 tons so it is a super heavy combat vehicles so it has 2 more locations to armor so the armor should average about 56 Pt's per location .  2 :  It requires to be moved as cargo and as such cannot be deployed quickly from a drop ship or you have to make a special bay for it . 3: Terrain ban of woods and cannot hide behind a level one hill or building . 4:  Counter battery artillery fire may make it immobile and if the mech catching it has a TAG system it may get immobile fast .  5 :Stacking rules may differ I think only one super large vehicle instead of 2 normal ones . 6 ; The  idea of what it cannot destroy it can out run   ;  when going against artillery it should be I have enough to engage and win or the price they paid to win is so high they regret the fight in the first place . 

Throw weigh over a short time is better than a long hit and fade engagement over the long run .  3 Shiltrons have 6 Arrow IV launchers and with normal map board combat it means enough artillery is in the air that even if you miss your intended target you have a 10% chance of hitting the enemy by accident anyway . Remember standard rounds are not very accurate and  a higher number of rounds shot the better .  Also if you keep moving between shots you cannot correct your aim for the next shot a miss in one round gives you a -1 to hit that hex in round 2 and a -2 in round 3 and when you hit so long as you do not move you can hit that hex in subsequent rounds no roll .  The best reason to have speed with an Arrow IV launcher is to get on board 17 or less hexes an you have to expose your unit to fire if you do that . This is why I prefer the O - Bakemono or the Anvil 8 M for Arrow IV platforms as they are much harder to immobilize than a vehicle of any kind . Just for space I think a Super Heavy vehicle bay is 200 tons and a heavy one is 100 tons so for the resources you are taking to field one of your Battlecruiser I can move 2 shiltrons with about 4 X the fire power .

The reason I think no one has done this before is the # 2 reason above ; too much a pain in the ass to field .  The Wheeled 3050 Shiltron  has 2 Arrow IV s 2 med lasers and a C3 Master computer  weighs 80 tons and can be carried normally .  So the combo of 3 light mechs or vehicles with TAG and a C3 Slave would be nicer in an urban environment than yours even though yours is faster .  Yours might have problems on a city map as your unit may not fit in tight places as easily .

Perhaps you might get what you what easier with a WIGE combat vehicle instead ?
« Last Edit: 22 January 2015, 14:15:16 by Col Toda »

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2015, 20:57:48 »
This is an illegal design, apparently created with SAW which CANNOT handle super-heavy Hovercrafts.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2015, 21:47:08 »
Do you really need to go to 100 tons to get an Arrow IV launcher moving at 6/9? Sure, a 50-ton hover won't be as well armoured, but it won't be any more susceptible to motive crits immobilising it.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2015, 22:08:39 »
In fact, it will even be less susceptible to motive crits as it moves at least 3 faster, resulting in a higher TMM, which I'm sure you meant to imply ;)

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2015, 01:03:01 »
2 :  It requires to be moved as cargo and as such cannot be deployed quickly from a drop ship or you have to make a special bay for it .

I think it can still fit into a heavy vehicle bay because its only 100t.
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2015, 08:03:40 »
I thought all super heavy. vehicles required a special bay . Tunbos on a Rose drop ship repurpose the small craft bays ( 200 ) tons for less than 60 ton vehicles.

AJC46

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2015, 09:33:36 »
the only thing SAW has wrong about the current superheavys that can be set is that it has the wrong amount of sides all SH vees use a record sheet with more sides than a standard size vee except for Super heavy VTOLs (the only exception to this)