Author Topic: Foam hills  (Read 2366 times)

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Foam hills
« on: 22 July 2022, 19:36:50 »
I have a couple large pieces of 2” insulation foam and was looking to cut it into hills. Mostly for alpha strike, so total footprint size isn’t as important as hexes. However in AS a level is 1” so it’s too thick. Does anyone have advice for cutting down foam safely?
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Foam hills
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2022, 22:01:49 »
I use a hot wire foam cutter to make terrain, but not usually for cutting down the height. As long as the pieces aren't too big it should work ok, but the cut surface may not be completely level. Make sure to do it outside, molten foam stinks...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2022, 23:26:16 »
Cut the shapes out first, and then cut down the middle. Should make it handier to work with. Use the outsides as "top".

If the shape is big, then clamp it vertically, and use a handsaw or jigsaw to cut - working vertically should be easier to keep more or less straight.

Theoretically, anyway - I had 1" sheets.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cat

• Corporal
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2022, 10:33:51 »
I use a hot wire foam cutter to make terrain, but not usually for cutting down the height. As long as the pieces aren't too big it should work ok, but the cut surface may not be completely level. Make sure to do it outside, molten foam stinks...

Even outside, a mask helps a lot!  The fumes aren't terribly toxic, but you will be much happier with a mask.

With a handheld cutter, the blade will bend and break under the stress of cutting lengthwise.  You would need a deep table cutter wire to hot cut it.

Easiest path is to get some 1" foam.

Else, easiest cutting might doing it cold be with a large kitchen knife.  Like hot cutting, it won't be super level; and it will be a bit pitted  — you can cover the finished hill with PVA and flocking.

WIP thread here showing cutting a large contoured hill with a kichen knife:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=106615.msg1677390#msg1677390

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2022, 11:50:21 »
A hot wire knife would be the best option of you want to slice it in half thicknesses wise. A jig of some kind would be useful to fab up to get the thickness right were you want and keep it consistent.  Use some scrap wood or whatever (so long as the hot wire knife can't cut it) to set your 1" height, and use it as a guide to keep the knife at the right depth as you make the cut.

Personally, I'd set the 2" stuff aside for doing things like cliff faces and get some 1" thick foam for the actual hill parts. 

Register