Author Topic: Editing already made Mechs  (Read 685 times)

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
  • Unless to other People
Editing already made Mechs
« on: 17 April 2024, 10:52:51 »
Can you modify an already made Mech with the Techmanual?

« Last Edit: 01 May 2024, 11:25:59 by Gray_Noton_4lfe »
Corporal: Were under attack general.
General: who's attacking?
Corporal: Those 25 Urbanmech Mechwarriors you offended last week on Solaris.
General: That's....unfortunate. Could you remind me what I said to offend them?
Corporal: You said their Urbanmechs look like Locust-1Vs Sir.
General: ahh... I remember now.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Editing already made Mechs
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2024, 12:16:13 »
Sure why wouldn't you be able to? There are even rules for Frankenmechs if you wanted to get weird. Although if you do an engine change that might take a little while longer to calculate (not much longer but more than changing armaments).

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2024, 12:39:23 »
Yep! In fact that's how a lot of custom mechs come about as players swap weapons and other bits to make variants that fit them. That's pretty much the real-world origin of the SuburbanMech, for instance, IINM, a non-canonical fan variant that finally got canonized in Shrapnel.

BattleTech's construction rules are purpose-built to do that exact thing.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
  • Unless to other People
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2024, 18:36:35 »
Thanks!, I was thinking of adding a vibroblade or two to my Shadow hawk SHD-7H, that way it could be reasonably fast and deal some melee damage.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2024, 18:57:22 by Gray_Noton_4lfe »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2024, 00:33:15 »
Megameklab, Solarisskunkwerks and mechfactory are some of the recommended programs for mech construction and modding.

gunner

• Sergeant
  • Todays a good day to die, YOU FIRST
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2024, 09:03:51 »
I could be mistaken, but mechfactory doesn't allow for changes to the  mechs.
Long life through fire superiority
IN range  and ON target  M 60 MG

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2024, 09:16:18 »
I could be mistaken, but mechfactory doesn't allow for changes to the  mechs.

It does on the Android App, just not on the website.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2024, 10:33:51 »
If you're looking for a web-based editor:

http://mech.thompfam.net/
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2024, 19:34:51 »
There's also Mordel.net, which will convert your CBT stats into Alpha Strike numbers and generate a card for them if that's what you want.  Have to be logged in to design 'Mechs.

https://www.mordel.net/tro.php?a=cbm
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2024, 19:52:45 »
There's also Mordel.net, which will convert your CBT stats into Alpha Strike numbers and generate a card for them if that's what you want.  Have to be logged in to design 'Mechs.

https://www.mordel.net/tro.php?a=cbm

It does this w/ Non-Canon mechs?  Customs?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2024, 23:34:07 »
Yup.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2024, 05:43:30 »
Modifying mech is very common the are even field kits for that for specific modifications such as replacing a medium laser for a C3 Slave for example . I alter mechs all the time . This may be better if you moved this to fan design .

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2024, 11:20:06 »
So... yes and no.

The construction rules in the tech manual can be used to change a record sheet because everything's built in accordance with them. However, those are the rules for building a new mech from the ground up. If you're on a campaign, you would use the unit customization rules in Campaign Operations to modify an existing machine.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2024, 19:44:22 »
Campaign Ops helps you customize mechs in a campaign but it isn't needed outside campaigns. And you still need TechManual for the details, weight, crits, special rules, etc. Tac Ops AU and IO:AE and other books may also be required depending in the item and era.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2024, 16:35:51 »
It's worth noting that there is actually varying etiquette on whether or not custom mechs are allowed. For campaign play, where there are rules for the time/effort/cost of customizing a mech, it's very common.

For pickup games where you're playing with BV2 balancing, the generally accepted standard is that you're using canon mech variants. Similar if you're generating forces off Random Assignment Tables, etc. If you want to bring custom mechs to such a game it should be agreed with ahead of time that customizing is on the table. One of the issues with using custom mechs for pickup games is that the holes in BV2 balancing are pretty glaringly obvious, and as soon as you go down the route of customization you can end up with a lot of people fielding mechs that look very similar.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
  • Unless to other People
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2024, 19:46:23 »
It's worth noting that there is actually varying etiquette on whether or not custom mechs are allowed. For campaign play, where there are rules for the time/effort/cost of customizing a mech, it's very common.

For pickup games where you're playing with BV2 balancing, the generally accepted standard is that you're using canon mech variants. Similar if you're generating forces off Random Assignment Tables, etc. If you want to bring custom mechs to such a game it should be agreed with ahead of time that customizing is on the table. One of the issues with using custom mechs for pickup games is that the holes in BV2 balancing are pretty glaringly obvious, and as soon as you go down the route of customization you can end up with a lot of people fielding mechs that look very similar.

I'll take note of that the next time I play, Thanks! 

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2024, 19:51:52 »

Very true.  It's one of the reasons our scenario leader usually has a specific line on if customs are allowed or not.

Usually in cases where a MUL link is provided, it also usually means that custom builds are off the table.

Still, doing customs can be fun just to see how crazy some people get things.  If anything, there are a few items on my "personally banned" list, like 5ton hovercraft that can move 25+ carrying only a Booby Trap...  It's only like 37 BV2, so what's the problem?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem