Author Topic: Looking for advice for running demo games  (Read 3850 times)

Lyran Wolf

• Come the Millenial!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Looking for advice for running demo games
« on: 28 July 2019, 20:39:58 »
Looking for general advice and pitfalls to avoid when running demo games.  A recent impromptu demo at the FLGS prompted interest and a more formal Learn to Play event hosted by the store.  Since I started the ball rolling I have agreed to volunteer and help them run the event in Mid-August.  I don't foresee any issues with building scenarios, though no clue currently on how many may show up to the event.  I was more interested in general things that work well or things that should be avoided.

For the first setup I put out printouts for the current increasing the bandwidth from the kickstarter as well as stood the current boxes upright with some painted miniatures in front of them.  Anything to show the brand and peak interest. 
I pre-printed plenty of record sheets and had multiple pencils on hand.
Movement dice and dice aplenty.
As well as engaged everyone I could that came over to take a look or mentioned remembering it from their childhood.

I also started looking at the application for becoming a demo agent and am contemplating taking the leap so any thoughts related to that are welcome as well.
CDT Agent #1000
Author - The Weight of a Name (Shrapnel #4), Hard Choices (Shrapnel #14)

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Looking for advice for running demo games
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2019, 18:51:45 »
In my "real" job I teach History to high schoolers. If you're at GenCon this week I'll also be doing a lot of the Boot Camp scenarios, so my advice that I'll share here comes with a heavy dose of experience from both of those. So here goes:

1: Keep it simple. Play on the beginning maps, ideally, ones without water. We teach Boot Camp with only trees. We don't even introduce hills there. Your job in a demo is to show how basic game play, not the entire rulebook.

2: Keep it small. The mechs that we use in Boot Camp are small and simple. They are both light mechs. They are intro tech. They share one weapon system, but they do have a second, different, weapon from each other. They do not have minimum range. In short, there's not a whole lot to understand on them.

3: Keep it short. Boot camp is taught on one mapsheet with each player having one mech. They will fight each other quickly. They will learn the game. There's nothing gained by giving them a lance and putting them on a 3x3 set of maps to duke it out with seven other people. It will overwhelm them.

Beyond that, you've covered a lot of the other basics: have supplies plentiful and ready. Have product visible for players to ask about. Good luck!
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Lyran Wolf

• Come the Millenial!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2019, 22:53:42 »
Thanks GreyWolfActual.  That gives me some ideas for the learn to play.

Sadly I will not be at Gencon and have never been to one.  Is there a Battletech presence at PAX South? That is much closer to home and I have been contemplating giving it a try at the upcoming event.
CDT Agent #1000
Author - The Weight of a Name (Shrapnel #4), Hard Choices (Shrapnel #14)

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2019, 07:11:04 »
Is there a Battletech presence at PAX South?
There are Agents who run games there on their own but as a company, Catalyst does not have a presence at PaxSouth.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Register