Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles Version M5 (it is a tradition now)  (Read 137499 times)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
Re: Armored Fighting Vehicles Version M5 (it is a tradition now)
« Reply #271 on: 19 May 2020, 04:59:04 »
Now I want to try & stat it out as the the flagship unit of some backwoods militia unit next time I run a MW2 campaign  >:D

Hmmm...

45mm = AC/5, 76mm = AC/10, 150mm = AC/20, rocke rails = LRM10?

or

45mm = LAC/2, 76mm = LAC/5, 150mm = AC/10, rocket rails = 2xRL10?

>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #272 on: 19 May 2020, 05:57:43 »
The latter, definitely the latter (though without the 'L' in front of the AC)
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #273 on: 19 May 2020, 06:57:34 »
Now I want to try & stat it out as the the flagship unit of some backwoods militia unit next time I run a MW2 campaign  >:D

Hmmm...

45mm = AC/5, 76mm = AC/10, 150mm = AC/20, rocke rails = LRM10?

or

45mm = LAC/2, 76mm = LAC/5, 150mm = AC/10, rocket rails = 2xRL10?

I’d go with the latter, although making an AC/10 from a 150 mm cannon irks me. Something that bug should be either an AC/20 or a gauss Rifle.

Or you could just do the 45 mm as a light rifle, the 76 mm as a medium rifle and the 150 mm as a heavy rifle, and keep the RL-10’s.

Rather like that last one, IMO.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #274 on: 19 May 2020, 09:23:59 »
Biggest problem I have always had when trying to stat out anything from real life to BattleTech is the ranges getting shorter as the weapon gets more powerful. My Abrams can shoot a lot further and for more damage than my grandpa's Sherman.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #275 on: 19 May 2020, 09:35:40 »
The large guns should be Thumper cannons IMHO.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #276 on: 19 May 2020, 10:01:16 »
Biggest problem I have always had when trying to stat out anything from real life to BattleTech is the ranges getting shorter as the weapon gets more powerful. My Abrams can shoot a lot further and for more damage than my grandpa's Sherman.

With rifles, the larger, more powerful guns have longer ranges.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #277 on: 19 May 2020, 12:41:30 »
With rifles, the larger, more powerful guns have longer ranges.

Ruger

Good to know, I have not looked at them after reading that the 120mm of the current generation of MBT is a light rifle and does no damage to a mech, but a tree smashing into one will do up to 20 points. (one moving at about 6120 kmph or about 3800mph hitting an area 27mm or just over an inch wide with a weight of between 7-10kg or 15-22lbs and the other much much slower, heavier but also hitting much more area).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #278 on: 19 May 2020, 16:06:19 »
The "no damage" thing is a matter of some contention...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #279 on: 19 May 2020, 17:04:19 »
One thing to remember is that bore size in Battletech means precisely nothing- the AC/5 canonically ranges from 30mm guns on the Rifleman to the Marauder's 120mm.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #280 on: 19 May 2020, 17:18:14 »
CADT, trying to apply realism to BattleTech results only in migraines and sadness.  :bang:
I have spoken.

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #281 on: 19 May 2020, 17:50:27 »
CADT, trying to apply realism to BattleTech results only in migraines and sadness.  :bang:

I know, that is why if it does not work for me I just ignore it (like the rifles, and mechanized/mobile infantry). I mean we are talking about giant stompy robots so there has to be some level of whatever.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #282 on: 26 May 2020, 14:23:20 »
Germany and France have began development of the 'Main Ground Combat System’ (MGCS) to succeed the Bundeswehr’s Leopard 2 and the French Army’s Leclerc beginning in 2035.

I have spoken.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #283 on: 26 May 2020, 14:33:17 »
Fifteen years might not be enough time ;D
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #284 on: 26 May 2020, 14:59:57 »
Sounds like it will be a Leopard 2 chassis with a Rheinmetall 130mm gun with an autoloader and probably unmanned turret from the French

Frankly, I think Britain needs to get in on the action!
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #285 on: 26 May 2020, 15:49:30 »
Sounds like it will be a Leopard 2 chassis with a Rheinmetall 130mm gun with an autoloader and probably unmanned turret from the French

Frankly, I think Britain needs to get in on the action!
yes then it can be built with a totally superfluous rifled 130mm cannon.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #286 on: 26 May 2020, 16:05:13 »
yes then it can be built with a totally superfluous rifled 130mm cannon.

Or maybe just have a decent HE round developed from the get-go?

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #287 on: 26 May 2020, 19:39:50 »
The Ruskies love their ERA way too much to rely on HE.
I have spoken.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #288 on: 27 May 2020, 03:53:01 »
The Ruskies love their ERA way too much to rely on HE.

That's why you have a super-long rod "fin" round, I think the 130mm is expected to manage to offer nearly 1000mm long penetrators

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #289 on: 27 May 2020, 03:59:58 »

Or maybe just have a decent HE round developed from the get-go?
actually the brits kept the rifling so they could fire HESH rounds. why i've never figured out. the usual claim is light vehicles and buildings, but if you are sending your MBT's after trucks and buildings you are doing a lot of things wrong. especially since a 120mm HESH round is major overkill. and HESH is useless against heavily armored targets.
and the rifling degrades the performance of APFSDS and HEAT rounds.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 04:05:04 by glitterboy2098 »

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #290 on: 27 May 2020, 04:22:39 »
actually the brits kept the rifling so they could fire HESH rounds. why i've never figured out. the usual claim is light vehicles and buildings, but if you are sending your MBT's after trucks and buildings you are doing a lot of things wrong. especially since a 120mm HESH round is major overkill. and HESH is useless against heavily armored targets.
and the rifling degrades the performance of APFSDS and HEAT rounds.

I think the issue was one of doctrine or faith/confidence in HEAT versus HESH.

Honestly, I don't understand it but wonder if it might be a hold-over from the issues with British tank experiences in WW2, not only with the armament compromises but also the relative lack of tank-on-tank engagements and extensive use of tanks against hardened fighting positions etc in support of infantry. Don't forget the division into Infantry and Cruiser tanks persisted well into WW2 for the British tank arm.

Given the upgrade of main armament (L/11 to L/30) and plan to completely replace Challenger 1 with Challenger 2, I am not sure why Challenger 2 didn't use a smoothbore instead of the L/30 although the headline of the longest tank-on-tank kill which was with HESH (I think) from a Challenger 1 may have had an impact in the decision.

Honestly, after that it looks as though it has been a cost issue since then as there was a Challenger 2 trialled with a 120mm smoothbore from Rheinmetall but it would need a complete turret redesign as the ammunition is one-piece rather than the L/30's two (actually three) piece ammunition.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #291 on: 27 May 2020, 05:12:53 »
L11, not L/11. L/ has a specific meaning with things like artillery and tank guns.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #292 on: 27 May 2020, 05:34:09 »
As it was explained to me the HESH issue had to do with range, specifically short range. APFSDS supposedly wobbles right after leaving the barrel, doing bad things to penetration for the first few hundred meters. The Brits were expecting to a lot of short-range fighting defending inside German cities and thought a rifled gun firing a HESH round would be the best option for that.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #293 on: 27 May 2020, 05:38:43 »
L11, not L/11. L/ has a specific meaning with things like artillery and tank guns.

Thank you for the correction - the "L/xx" means length expressed as a multiple of calibres doesn't it?

So the 120mm Rheinmetall gun is available in two barrel lengths, the L/44 and L/55

Looking at Wikipedia (I know not a great source but I can't find my Haynes Manual to the Challenger 2 at the moment) both the L11 and L30 were already 55 calibre guns which might have helped to overcome the loss of muzzle velocity for "Fin" ammunition from the rifling

The Wikipedia page also says that the L30 was accepted for service and ordered into production in 1989... although apparently Challenger 2 wasn't ordered until 1991 so I guess the lessons of Desert Storm weren't available when the decisions were being made

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #294 on: 27 May 2020, 05:40:31 »
As it was explained to me the HESH issue had to do with range, specifically short range. APFSDS supposedly wobbles right after leaving the barrel, doing bad things to penetration for the first few hundred meters. The Brits were expecting to a lot of short-range fighting defending inside German cities and thought a rifled gun firing a HESH round would be the best option for that.

I've heard that the British Army refer or referred to urban combat as FISH - Fighting In Someone's House - and the novel "Chieftain" seems to suggest that while anticipating a life-span measured in hours if the Cold War went hot in the 1980s the British tankers were looking forward to reversing into and then hiding in German houses' front rooms

kato

• Captain
« Reply #295 on: 27 May 2020, 06:48:51 »
Eh, it rather won't be.

MGCS is a system of systems approach, and will likely result in multiple vehicles of different types. The contract signed now is the System Architecture Definition Study, which will explore over the next 18 months how to harmonize and realize concepts developed in the previous phase, as well as how to integrate the products developed into (French) SCORPION and (German-Dutch) TEN as tactical combat networks.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #296 on: 27 May 2020, 07:33:27 »

I've heard that the British Army refer or referred to urban combat as FISH - Fighting In Someone's House
and CHIPS - and Causing Havoc In Public Spaces

- and the novel "Chieftain" seems to suggest that while anticipating a life-span measured in hours if the Cold War went hot in the 1980s the British tankers were looking forward to reversing into and then hiding in German houses' front rooms

Fronts of the shops are best for this as even lighter armored vehicles can do it.
Shoot first, laugh later.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #297 on: 28 May 2020, 09:09:37 »
https://www.army-technology.com/features/streetfighter-challenger-2/

Urbanised upgrade, hence Streetfighter.  Includes heavier, more lethal machine gun systems to provide dismounted infantry better support fire and Brimstone anti-tank guided missile system designed to neutralise the threat of heavily armoured, highly survivable land platforms at long-range.  The Brimstone, made by MBDA, is designed to destroy fast-moving vehicles alongside tanks and other lighter-armoured vehicles as well as fixed positions like bunkers and can be fired from a range of platforms.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/decision-on-challenger-2-tank-upgrade-to-be-taken-in-2021/

Update on Challenger upgrade not expected until next year

Or possibly the year after

Or maybe the year after that...
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #298 on: 28 May 2020, 09:43:02 »
I'm surprised no Western nation hasn't followed the lead of the BMPT Terminator. They all have excess tanks in storage they can switch out turrets with. Lots of situations where a light autocannon, machine guns, automatic grenade launchers and short range guided (even ungided) missiles would be much more appropriate than a 120mm tank gun. Basically infantry fighting vehicle firepower (on steroids!) with MBT protection.

I have spoken.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #299 on: 28 May 2020, 10:01:00 »
https://www.army-technology.com/features/streetfighter-challenger-2/

Urbanised upgrade, hence Streetfighter.  Includes heavier, more lethal machine gun systems to provide dismounted infantry better support fire and Brimstone anti-tank guided missile system designed to neutralise the threat of heavily armoured, highly survivable land platforms at long-range.  The Brimstone, made by MBDA, is designed to destroy fast-moving vehicles alongside tanks and other lighter-armoured vehicles as well as fixed positions like bunkers and can be fired from a range of platforms.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/decision-on-challenger-2-tank-upgrade-to-be-taken-in-2021/

Update on Challenger upgrade not expected until next year

Or possibly the year after

Or maybe the year after that...

Hang on, did I read that right?  If so, you missed the best part: using the cannon as an extra large selfie stick (putting a camera on the end to see around corners)!
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.