Author Topic: ISaW Supply Clarification  (Read 5083 times)

The Purist

• Warrant Officer
ISaW Supply Clarification
« on: 14 May 2018, 10:53:14 »
Last night I received a question all GMs dread, "...are we sure we are doing this right?" The question came from our Liao player (Lee M) and he asked us to review how we are interpreting the CC supply rules found on page 351. Since we have some time while the Marik and the Commonwealth pummel each other in June 3020 I thought I would turn to the forums to help clarify whether we are applying the rule(s) correctly.

1) As per the text on 351 combat commands can only be supplied from RPs remaining at the end of the previous ISaW game turn. No issue there. What was called into question was whether a a CC *must* be supplied if the RPs are available or whether they can be voluntarily left unsupplied. The rules only state that commands must be designated 'unsupplied' if insufficient funds are available. Thus far we have applied the rule that if the supplies exist then the supplies must be paid.

This is supported by the various rules under the orders step (ie: Raids, page 356 or Defend on page 357) where the text clearly state a command "must pay its combat supply costs..." As above the only exception
we see to this rule is if the RPs saved from the previous turn were insufficient to cover the costs.

As per the text on 351, once it is determined that all supply costs for House commands cannot be met, then the player is free to pick and choose which commands do not get supplies, including those who fall under the "must pay" rule.

Are we correct in this application of the rule?

2) Mercenary Supply - As mercenary supply, retention and hiring rules are in a separate section we have not, thus far, included mercenary commands in the supply rules where the RPs must come only from the pool of left over from the previous turn. Instead we assumed that mercenary "salaries and other supporting resources..." can come from general revenue.

Is this interpretation correct or should we be lumping in House and Merc supply into one massive expense to be paid from surplus budgets. House Steiner, for example, would pay 958 RP for its standard CCs (1/2/5/7/1)as well as just the minimum cost for it Merc commands. House Marik would pay 704, Davion 1227, Liao 627 and Kurita 947

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 12:09:12 by The Purist »
Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thought upon the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

"...Remember also the two "prime directives" in playing BattleTech:
1. HAVE FUN
2. DON'T LET YOURSELF GET SO CAUGHT UP IN THE RULES THAT YOU STOP HAVING FUN"
Page 168 - Reunification War

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
Re: ISaW Supply Clarification
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2018, 12:35:04 »
I believe you are correct on both counts.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2018, 05:49:14 »
I agree.

The player can definitely choose which units get short supplied, and is given that freedom so that (for example) troops far from the battle line can be shorted to supply troops in combat.

Mercenaries work differently, so you're allowed to provide for their supply from general revenue.

Cheers,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

The Purist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2018, 12:22:33 »
Thank you, Gentlemen. I am glad my grasp of English and rules interpretation have not waned with the advance of grey hair.

To be honest, we have found that the 'broken supply lines' rule can be a godsend if you are prepared for it. The supply rebate can soften the blow to the RPs caused by combat supply. This has lent itself to the tactic of invading with two or more waves, withdrawing depleted or shattered commands that fail their supply check and sending in a fresh wave to keep feeding the meat grinder.

Considering the potential for massive casualties suffered in just 3-5 ACS turns, even supplied commands may need to pull back,...  or be heavily reinforced in case of counterattack.

Thanks again.
Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thought upon the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

"...Remember also the two "prime directives" in playing BattleTech:
1. HAVE FUN
2. DON'T LET YOURSELF GET SO CAUGHT UP IN THE RULES THAT YOU STOP HAVING FUN"
Page 168 - Reunification War

Register