Author Topic: VotW: Hasek MCV  (Read 9705 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: VotW: Hasek MCV
« Reply #30 on: 28 October 2014, 18:09:40 »
I actually like that . . . especially when we have tanks where the tracks are split on each side into forward/backward.  While I like the base version, I do wonder about alternatives as mentioned that drop the SPL for more/different weapons.  Perhaps even one for the frontline FedSuns that drops the PPC for a Clan-tech ERLL (conveniently a source of last ditch spares for mechs) which negates the minimum while adding 7 hexes of range to support BA.

Also . . . what about command MCVs?  Tonnage given over to HQ space, maybe a LPPC instead of the regular PPC while still having some room for a infantry platoon (the HQ staff!).
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #31 on: 28 October 2014, 22:28:33 »
Also . . . what about command MCVs?  Tonnage given over to HQ space, maybe a LPPC instead of the regular PPC while still having some room for a infantry platoon (the HQ staff!).

I hadn't thought of that, I guess there was limited number of variants that each vehicle / mech /etc could have in 3145 series. 

I hope maybe Hasek MCV get sort of reprieve get a variant via possibly supporting product for the IClan book closing out the era.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 29 October 2014, 04:54:22 »
This thing reminds me a lot of the Goblin...

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 29 October 2014, 05:13:28 »
With the caveat that I recognize that art means jack with regards to game mechanics, and that it was also a carryover from MW:DA figures, I wonder what kind of in-universe reasoning was used to make the Hasek a half-track.
Possible in-universe explanation: You could use components from heavy trucks production, so your half-tracks would be cheaper and easier to maintain. If nothing else, it worked for the Germans and the Czechs with their WWII half-tracks.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 29 October 2014, 05:31:18 »

There already exists very similar Mobile Tactical Command HQ in the Dark Age setting. It has Laser and Machine Guns, and it has identical movement profile as the Hasek MICV. So I am not sure if it would be worth the effort to complicate the production of the Hasek if suitable vehicle already exists.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: 29 October 2014, 06:24:23 »
There already exists very similar Mobile Tactical Command HQ in the Dark Age setting. It has Laser and Machine Guns, and it has identical movement profile as the Hasek MICV. So I am not sure if it would be worth the effort to complicate the production of the Hasek if suitable vehicle already exists.

That it may.  The fluff for the vehicle from Era Digest: Dark Age made it clear it was being exported.  Even though it was Johnny come lately entry, missing out being put into RAT FM3145.

Having a Hasek MCV as a Command Vehicle may still be needed specially when you consider Praetorian and it sister HQ vehicle Tribune are both Terran made. Factory gone, a more localized vehicle maybe more useful, when half of the Capellan and Draconis March at risk of being lost.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 29 October 2014, 06:39:24 »
I am not talking about Tribune or Praetorian, but about a different vehicle. With the same speed and mobility it's ideal vehicle to support Hasek formations.

Taneru

• Private
« Reply #37 on: 31 October 2014, 08:41:10 »
This thing reminds me a lot of the Goblin...
No kidding. It's like someone took the original Goblin and made it better in almost every way, except price I think.
More armor, four times the troop capacity, all energy armament, better main gun, better speed, slightly lighter.

With the capabilities a Dark Age Battle Armor squad could have, I think the PPC's minimum range would be far less of a downside than it would on the Goblin back in the Succession Wars. Most medium BA can cover 3 hexes in some manner without too much issue, so anyone charging a Hasek to get under that minimum range is putting themselves at risk of the Hasek's ankle-biting friends.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #38 on: 31 October 2014, 09:09:14 »
This is basically a Myrmidon stacked onto a mid-sized APC. The four ton capacity bothers me a little - I'd have gone with a bigger bay - 6 tons like the heavy APCs give you a little more flexibility, especially using the TO BA weights. The armour is IMHO overkill on an APC, the weaponry not that bad compared to most 4th-war era medium tanks.

At the same time, the AFFS is bulging at the seems with Cavaliers.  Everyone thinks Grenadiers first...  The armor is robust because it is intended to keep fighting once the troops are dropped off.  BT has tried this concept before with mixed results.  This is one of those shining examples of the concept working in all respects.  As pointed out, it is very similar to a Myrmidon.  That is a compliment in any era, even one with reflective armor and blue shield.

It's an interesting comparison with the R10, which trades additional weight and slightly less armor for more dakka.

There is no comparison in my mind.  One is a fixed 4 ton bay, PPC/SPL tracked tank.  One is a wheeled omni tank with variable weapons, compartment size and an innate ability to haul additional battle armor thanks to mechanization. 
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 31 October 2014, 09:26:52 »
Tactically you could have added more weapons, or enough room to take a heavy BA squad.  <snip>

The four ton capacity bothers me a little - I'd have gone with a bigger bay - 6 tons like the heavy APCs give you a little more flexibility, especially using the TO BA weights.

I would note that apart from the few remaining Sloths, the AFFS doesn't field a heavy suit, so there'd be no real need for a 6-ton for that purpose.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #40 on: 31 October 2014, 09:39:34 »
I would note that apart from the few remaining Sloths, the AFFS doesn't field a heavy suit, so there'd be no real need for a 6-ton for that purpose.

Motorized platoons.  That is, if the AFFS still has conventional troopers.  I'd still rather keep it as-is.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #41 on: 31 October 2014, 12:06:14 »
Actually they have A LOT of infantry troops. I just finish re-reading FM:3145.  If they have in spades are boys and girls with rifles.  Hasek MCV is a well need asset lugging all these LCT and rare RCT infantry components around.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 31 October 2014, 20:01:14 »

I tried to work in an assault carrier version, but short of completely stripping and reworking the weapons and/or stripping armor.  Possibly stripping the SPL and extra heat sinks, and replacing the PPC with Snub Nosed PPC?

Register