Author Topic: Elder and children first - a 3052 mini-campaign  (Read 2040 times)

gwaedin

• Sergeant
Elder and children first - a 3052 mini-campaign
« on: 12 December 2022, 17:11:01 »
So I started working on another mini-campaign made by a series of linked small scenarios, after the previous one (https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,78148.0.html).
This one stages Wolf's Dragoon defending Outreach from the Capellan strike occurring during the battle of Luthien, in 3052. Yeah, my son and I are still having fun with the Clan invasion. At the moment we have ideas for three of them, but so it was last time and it ended up with seven  8).
Here is the link to the PDF, which will be updated as we go through it:
https://www.odrive.com/s/5575d0ef-3ff0-479b-933d-ec137c996d79-645fdbe9
EDIT: link updated, as it was blocked after exceeding 50 downloads  ;)
« Last Edit: 15 August 2023, 15:02:12 by gwaedin »

gwaedin

• Sergeant
Re: Elder and children first - a 3052 mini-campaign
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2022, 03:28:06 »
I realized there were not one, but two mistakes in the setup  :-[
The KCG-001 is a "Clanbuster" variant introduced by Comstar in 3052, therefore there would be no reason for such a King Crab to be present on Outreach among Wolf's Dragoons reserves. I changed it with the less advanced KGC-0000 variant.
The Husky also is a custom-made Omnimech supposed to appear in 3058 among Clan Jade Falcon ranks (my son designed it for our Battle of Coventry campaign). I replaced it with another of Lorenzo's designs, which was originally called Night Wolf - but then we noticed such a Clan 'Mech already exists and we changed its name to Lone Wolf. It can also be found on Mordel.
The balance is unaffected, because the 5 PV lost with the King Crab (whose 'Mechwarrior has a skill of 3) are offset by also using a veteran 'Mechwarrior for the Lone Wolf, thus bringing PV value from 48 to 58 (five more than the Husky with a regular pilot).
Also, when removing the Lone Wolf to have a balanced setup (as opposed to the one we use), the two sides are even closer this way.
Incidentally the choice of "Lone Wolf" is quite appropriate, dealing with a Wolf Clan Omnimech and with Lorenzo caught up by the homonymous series of gamebooks, which have just been published in Italian with a new edition of the old classics.  ;)

gwaedin

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2022, 11:08:40 »
Having played the first scenario, the file is now updated with the aftermath of our battle.
A second one is ready, with the inevitable attack of the Capellans against the Dragoons base.
It comes from an unexpected direction, but the Cappies have to be quick, or soon the techs will send out more units to join the base garrison (a mixed force of Elementals, Combat vehicles and a single Vulcan 'Mech).
As usual, the scenario comes with a handy Building Table, ready to use for either CBT or AS.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2022, 13:37:09 »
I somehow missed your last post... glad to hear the core books are in another language now!  :thumbsup:

gwaedin

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2023, 07:14:39 »
Hi! We completed the second scenario, in which Lorenzo nailed a marginal victory.
While I destroyed most of the target buildings, I lost a couple of 'Mechs in the process and I failed to eliminate any of his units. I got close to that with my initial assault on one of his Elemental points, but poor shooting allowed a couple of them to escape in the woods.
We have a third scenario coming, which is probably going to be the last one in this series (as you can read, it is set on the next day, when it already becomes clear that the mercs are going to kick the Cappies' butts off their planet).
A Capellan heavy Fire lance is attacking a light lance of Dragoon's trainees (with some  nasty machines picked by my son, I have to say  ^-^... Firefly C, anyone?), trying to eliminate them before reinforcements arrive.
I hope somebody have as much fun as we do with these - enjoy!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2023, 18:13:55 »
Good luck to both of you!  :)

gwaedin

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2023, 03:21:44 »
Yesterday we finished also the third scenario, which completes this mini-campaign.
The Liao command might be enraged by the defeat but can't complain about the performance of my heavy lance in this final engagement.
Lorenzo has been way too confident with his light and medium 'Mechs and my units displayed excellent shooting skill - except for the Zeus, which hardly hit anything during the whole mission.
Taking advantage of everything the battlefield was offering them (range, cover, better armor) they managed to wipe out the young Dragoons lance and also most of the reinforcements. At the end the King Crab was left alone, and while the armor of the Capellan 'Mechs had eaten significant damage during the battle, its pilot decided that single-handedly facing a full lance was not a great idea.
I spent some time discussing with my son some bad choices I think he made and I'm sure he will learn. Besides, defensive maneuvering with light units is not his preferred style as he tends to be quite aggressive. This time the scenario called for a little more caution, at least until the bulk of the reinforcements arrived.
Time to take a short break from BattleTech for now, as we decided to end this mini-campaign with the planned three scenarios (surprisingly!) and we have yet to think about what to do next. Whether it's gonna be another mini-campaign or single scenarios, I will certainly post them here.

gwaedin

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2023, 12:54:56 »
We changed our mind  ::)
Lorenzo wanted to have more Wolf Dragoons while staying in the 3050-3055 timeframe.
Not an easy task with so much going on: the year of suspension due to breach of contract by Kantov's Battalion of Gamma Regiment, for which Jaime Wolf took responsibility on behalf of the Dragoons as a whole; and obviously the Dragoons Civil War.
With that in mind, I proposed to continue with our Outreach series, simply adding other actions meant to occur at the same time as the previous three scenarios, with different units involved.
And there you are with scenario 1b (with the formed three renamed 1a-2a-3a), featuring a couple of the lovely WWE2018 maps and two custom 'Mechs (available on Mordel): the Marauder IIC 11 variant and the Inner Sphere Lynx LYN-5X, which first appeared on BattleTechnology magazine #9. And a Monorail, of course. Have fun!

gwaedin

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2023, 06:50:22 »
Ouch... I got stomped in that one.
Scenario 2b is ready to follow, featuring the Dragoons' counterattack against a Capellan outpost manned by a lance of combat vehicles.
This one has Tangled woods and Off-Map movement orders for you to try out!
I also attached an Initiative and Building table, which might come as useful.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2023, 07:59:32 by gwaedin »

gwaedin

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2023, 11:42:32 »
I have to correct myself: last time I was beaten, THIS time I was stomped - badly.
Despite some good maneuvering and more than decent firing opportunities, my vehicle lance failed to nail down the Marauder IIC.
I got the Lynx, but to do that I lost 75% of my units and I had to concede victory to my son. Well deserved, Lorenzo!