Author Topic: Goodbye, Capella. Goodbye, BattleTech.  (Read 29949 times)

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
Goodbye, Capella. Goodbye, BattleTech.
« on: 01 April 2013, 06:44:06 »
It's been an interesting ride, but I've poured several hundred dollars into this franchise and I believe I haven't gotten my money's worth.  Pushing around little metal men and pretending they were board game robots has worn too thin for me.  I don't even know what kind of scenarios I want to play anymore!  There's too much to try and I never found what I liked.  BV is dumb, it doesn't help me decide what forces I should bring that make sense and are good and will help me win.  Oh also, why couldn't there have been regularly scheduled tournaments at specific BattleTech-themed venues where you must bring fully-painted miniatures that look professional to play?  I hate coming to a game and having to proxy unpainted chassis and proxy partially-assembled variants, it feels like I'm playing with bottle caps and reminds me of destitute plebeians with chess sets at the park.  Especially when I'm the one bringing all the unpainted minis because I always have amazing and great aspirations for having entire painted regiments of 'Mechs like 3rdCrucisLancers used to have but I never get around to it because I am too busy playing video games since no one will play BattleTech with me.

Not even faction affiliations made me enjoy the universe.  I mean, I tried to grin and bear it when I had the Capellan Confederation pushed on me, but it's really only left a bad taste in my mouth from all the horrible and disgusting discussions about interstellar events.  I've read and posted in so many flame wars and little thread-farts where people from elsewhere would drop by and leave a snarky one-liner that wasn't funny at all just to troll the thread.  I once thought it was my duty as a Capellan Citizen or some other make-believe job to do all this, but I can't handle the responsibility and the pressure anymore!  I have Asian parents that I only just managed to escape last year, and their words and attitudes and mindset continue to echo in my head, and drive me insane, and playing the Confederation just reminds me of that and I can't take it.  Why couldn't we all just get along like back in the original Star League?

I guess I'd have been more okay with it if they made CCAF 'Mechs more balanced, like have them able to produce weapons on par with other factions.  I'm talking about giving them more Standard Fusion Engine 'Mechs with Clan ERPPCs and Improved Heavy Gauss Rifles and Clan Double Heat Sinks, of course.  I wanted to be able to roll with whatever Capellan unit I want and my opponents needed to understand that they've already lost before the initiative dice hit the table.  Oh, and let's not forget WarShips, we needed twenty more of those, good ones like the Texas-class right now, at the beginning of the Dark Age.

Also, these forums are terrible.  I can't scroll down one stupid page without seeing a dumb forum user make an inane post about how BattleTech isn't the way HE (or she) wants it or how some loose end error from the FASA era hasn't been fixed yet and will never be or something like that.  Oh also, I hated it when the anti-Catalyst Game Labs rebel grognards clashed against the pro-Catalyst Game Labs apologists and there were posts deleted and I didn't get to read all of the hate and pent-up loneliness that I could associate with in their words.

Oh well, I guess this game's dying anyways since I can't find anybody to play a game with again and nobody answered my rules questions about Superheavy 'Mechs on the Rules Questions forum.  Just wanted to post a thread here because I'm in need of attention and you should all grovel at my feet.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Re: Goodbye, Capella. Goodbye, BattleTech.
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2013, 06:49:54 »
.... April fool's...?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2013, 06:51:57 »
.... April fool's...?

Of course, but it could have been better.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2013, 06:54:52 »

So long, farewell
Auf Weidersehen, goodbye..........  :P

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2013, 07:01:03 »

Typical martian post.  I already have you on my Block list for being too smart at me.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2013, 07:09:37 »
Typical martian post.  I already have you on my Block list for being too smart at me.
It wasn't convincing enough, although I quite liked that part about compulsory fully-painted minis.

Do svidaniya, comrade.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2013, 08:17:36 »
It's been an interesting ride, but I've poured several hundred dollars into this franchise and I believe I haven't gotten my money's worth.  Pushing around little metal men and pretending they were board game robots has worn too thin for me.  I don't even know what kind of scenarios I want to play anymore!  There's too much to try and I never found what I liked.  BV is dumb, it doesn't help me decide what forces I should bring that make sense and are good and will help me win.  Oh also, why couldn't there have been regularly scheduled tournaments at specific BattleTech-themed venues where you must bring fully-painted miniatures that look professional to play?  I hate coming to a game and having to proxy unpainted chassis and proxy partially-assembled variants, it feels like I'm playing with bottle caps and reminds me of destitute plebeians with chess sets at the park.  Especially when I'm the one bringing all the unpainted minis because I always have amazing and great aspirations for having entire painted regiments of 'Mechs like 3rdCrucisLancers used to have but I never get around to it because I am too busy playing video games since no one will play BattleTech with me.

Not even faction affiliations made me enjoy the universe.  I mean, I tried to grin and bear it when I had the Capellan Confederation pushed on me, but it's really only left a bad taste in my mouth from all the horrible and disgusting discussions about interstellar events.  I've read and posted in so many flame wars and little thread-farts where people from elsewhere would drop by and leave a snarky one-liner that wasn't funny at all just to troll the thread.  I once thought it was my duty as a Capellan Citizen or some other make-believe job to do all this, but I can't handle the responsibility and the pressure anymore!  I have Asian parents that I only just managed to escape last year, and their words and attitudes and mindset continue to echo in my head, and drive me insane, and playing the Confederation just reminds me of that and I can't take it.  Why couldn't we all just get along like back in the original Star League?

I guess I'd have been more okay with it if they made CCAF 'Mechs more balanced, like have them able to produce weapons on par with other factions.  I'm talking about giving them more Standard Fusion Engine 'Mechs with Clan ERPPCs and Improved Heavy Gauss Rifles and Clan Double Heat Sinks, of course.  I wanted to be able to roll with whatever Capellan unit I want and my opponents needed to understand that they've already lost before the initiative dice hit the table.  Oh, and let's not forget WarShips, we needed twenty more of those, good ones like the Texas-class right now, at the beginning of the Dark Age.

Also, these forums are terrible.  I can't scroll down one stupid page without seeing a dumb forum user make an inane post about how BattleTech isn't the way HE (or she) wants it or how some loose end error from the FASA era hasn't been fixed yet and will never be or something like that.  Oh also, I hated it when the anti-Catalyst Game Labs rebel grognards clashed against the pro-Catalyst Game Labs apologists and there were posts deleted and I didn't get to read all of the hate and pent-up loneliness that I could associate with in their words.

Oh well, I guess this game's dying anyways since I can't find anybody to play a game with again and nobody answered my rules questions about Superheavy 'Mechs on the Rules Questions forum.  Just wanted to post a thread here because I'm in need of attention and you should all grovel at my feet.

Crittertek is awaiting you!
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2013, 09:10:17 »

Crittertek is awaiting you!

Thank your for quoting my original post on this page of the thread.  I am absolutely furious and am bumping this thread in my demand to see this hobby fall like the house of cards it was built upon.  Hope there are developers who see this.

Hersh67

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2013, 09:12:32 »
I'd believe it if Hanse had completed the mission taken all of the CapCon and let Mad Max have *nothing*.  That and letting Romano experience the noose from the inside before she had her brood.  No Sun-Tzu, no Kali.  A much nicer universe.

Sadly Hanse didn't do it, and I can read a calendar.

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2013, 09:50:45 »
Excellent post, +1.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2013, 10:06:06 »
I'd believe it if Hanse had completed the mission taken all of the CapCon and let Mad Max have *nothing*.  That and letting Romano experience the noose from the inside before she had her brood.  No Sun-Tzu, no Kali.  A much nicer universe.

Sadly Hanse didn't do it, and I can read a calendar.

Hanse is Sun-Tzu's real father.  He is based on Kirk, after all.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2013, 10:10:14 »
So long and thanks for all the fish!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2013, 10:10:59 »

What? He gave you fish?

Away with you, then.

Blacksheep

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 01 April 2013, 10:11:38 »
*whew* That's a lot of, like, words from a Capellan fan so has anyone posted a twitter-length version yet?

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2013, 10:15:10 »
*whew* That's a lot of, like, words from a Capellan fan so has anyone posted a twitter-length version yet?

@catalystgamelab #BattleTech sucks, I quit.  Also it's not #anime even though it is.  Also #MWO is bad, @MWLL was shut down by conspiracy.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2013, 10:18:06 by Youngblood »

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #15 on: 01 April 2013, 10:17:06 »
What? He gave you fish?

Away with you, then.

He also asked me to cut a tree down with a Herring and find him a shrubbery, a nice one.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
« Reply #16 on: 01 April 2013, 10:44:46 »
Is the OP for real or is he just BSing it for April 1st.
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #17 on: 01 April 2013, 10:46:43 »
I feel your pain.  A lot of players are frustrated that there's all these dice to roll and that bubbles to fill in, and wish they could just pull their miniatures out of their cases and know immediately who has won.

Rest assured I will endeavor to work hard to make Battletech a game where you can ensure yourself victory in any scenario simply by spending the most money. Anything else wouldn't be fair to the players that have spent so much.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #18 on: 01 April 2013, 10:48:19 »
I feel your pain.  A lot of players are frustrated that there's all these dice to roll and that bubbles to fill in, and wish they could just pull their miniatures out of their cases and know immediately who has won.

Rest assured I will endeavor to work hard to make Battletech a game where you can ensure yourself victory in any scenario simply by spending the most money. Anything else wouldn't be fair to the players that have spent so much.
Thank God. Now all my Battledroids will be worthwhile.
Maker of big things.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #19 on: 01 April 2013, 10:53:00 »
Thank God. Now all my Battledroids will be worthwhile.

Nope!  Latest edition only!  Bulking up on old minis isn't fair to the kids who just got in last week on daddy's VISA card.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #20 on: 01 April 2013, 10:56:47 »
Nope!  Latest edition only!  Bulking up on old minis isn't fair to the kids who just got in last week on daddy's VISA card.
AHHH! I just can't win!
Maker of big things.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #21 on: 01 April 2013, 10:56:56 »
There's always Clan Wolverine.  Why don't you try that to spice things up?  I heard they like super heavies, and that they figured out how to deploy them from orbit with heavy mass drivers :)
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #22 on: 01 April 2013, 11:03:33 »
So sad it had to come to this!
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 01 April 2013, 11:13:50 »
Speaking of BattleDroids, I've come back into this thread to throw on two more scathing topics for CGL to chew on.

I once had an imaginary childhood where I actually grew up in the 1980s and the robots and their art designs I played with were the best ever.  Nothing could match them in their originality and stompy-ness and any attempt at attaching their names to other designs or artwork could ever replace them.  CGL is only adding fuel to the fire of dissatisfaction amongst all former BT fans by doing something about the horrible situation of clashing artwork between eras because the new artwork for things like Primitive 'Mechs are new.

As the game spirals down into the moral cesspool of the 2010s, I've noticed really bad new factions spring up that I could tell were clearly their writers trying to be "hip" with the times.  Things like the jock-furry-wannabe Clans and the manipulative and religiously extremist Word of Blake have only served to rob the game of its real setting and feel, where honoureabbly duellling each other with walking garbage trucks was the one and only true way for men to truly meet.

Let's burn up the forums with more hate, people, we have a game to take down!
« Last Edit: 01 April 2013, 11:15:21 by Youngblood »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #24 on: 01 April 2013, 11:39:24 »
And now the end is near...
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #25 on: 01 April 2013, 11:56:22 »
I agree with the OP, except where he's wrong in every single regard.

+1 (Insightful)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Hersh67

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 01 April 2013, 12:28:24 »
And now the end is near...

Not so.  We have 10.5 hours remaining in the day...  Brace up, though, it's almost over...

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #27 on: 01 April 2013, 12:34:50 »
If I had just one last wish,
I would have a tasty fish!
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #28 on: 01 April 2013, 12:39:23 »
Not so.  We have 10.5 hours remaining in the day...  Brace up, though, it's almost over...

Youngblood is near me, so 11.5 hours by my count.

-1 (Spam, Reported)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 01 April 2013, 12:57:59 »
Cool story, bro.  Can I have your stuff?
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Register