Author Topic: Sourcebooks of Your Dreams  (Read 24231 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Sourcebooks of Your Dreams
« Reply #120 on: 21 March 2014, 10:33:47 »
Have you got Masters and Minions?  There's a lot of stuff about life in the OZs in there.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #121 on: 21 March 2014, 14:12:22 »
Here couple pipedreams.

Operational Turning Points: Long March Offensive
Operational Turning Points: Geralk Marik's Lyran Campaigns - Note That there was no names for this offensive that ended with Lyran Mackies stomping on the good General.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #122 on: 21 March 2014, 19:24:51 »
A master fully cross referenced and accurate Rules Index.  As in "Where the ****** are the rules for..."

I kinda use Sarna for this. not 100% perfect, but its a pretty good lead on where I should be looking for a given rule/stat
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #123 on: 23 March 2014, 02:58:07 »
I love a lot of these great suggestions! I especially like TRO: Militias, and a Covert/Black Ops sourcebook. The last of these I find really intriguing in regards to the Clans. Have we been told the whole story about the Watch/Intelser/Chatterweb?  :-X :-X :-X

Here are a couple I did not see suggested or would like to elaborate more:

Historical for Clan Brush Wars (Absorptions, Annihilations, Tokasha, etc.)
Historical for each Secession War

TROs!!! Everyone loves TROs (with example content):
TRO Golden Century, TRO Political Century (Coyotl, Wakazashi, Summoner, Minsk, Fox, Vision Quest)
TRO 1st,2nd,3rd Secession War (Hermes II, Vindicator, Merlin)
TRO Age of War (Banshee, Archer, Sarissa)
TRO Star League (Lancelot, Mercury, Shooting Star)
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #124 on: 23 March 2014, 10:25:51 »
TROs!!! Everyone loves TROs (with example content):
TRO Golden Century, TRO Political Century (Coyotl, Wakazashi, Summoner, Minsk, Fox, Vision Quest)
TRO 1st,2nd,3rd Secession War (Hermes II, Vindicator, Merlin)
TRO Age of War (Banshee, Archer, Sarissa)
TRO Star League (Lancelot, Mercury, Shooting Star)

Isn't most of these covered by Primitives I-III, and TRO:SW and it's hopeful successors?
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #125 on: 23 March 2014, 11:08:06 »
Isn't most of these covered by Primitives I-III, and TRO:SW and it's hopeful successors?

It could be, but no Primitives IV+ has been published. I am so desperate for "new" old 'Mechs, I check battlecorp on a daily basis with the search terms "experimental" or "technical". Nothing for a while.  :(
In my idea, there definitely is overlap. I am a realist, the authors and artists don't want to have to reinvent the wheel every book. And there is overlap in a lot of TROs. For instance, variants of the Marauder appear in 3025 (original FASA), 3039, 3050 (original FASA), Project Phoenix, 3075, 3085, 3145 and XTROs. Am I missing any? :)
Moreover, my thought was each of these would be unabridged: if it reaches full production in a region of human-occupied space, it is published in this book (for instance, one TRO for 29th century diminishing IS tech and one TRO for 29th century increasingly sophisticated Clan tech and one TRO for all pre-Clan Invasion OmniMechs). I hinted at this with the examples; 5 of 15 (shooting star, minsk, fox, vision quest, and MN1-K sarissa) are unpublished.
Additionally, it would seem to be in CGL's best interest to make this move. Filling in the gaps will allow players to immerse themselves more readily in alternate periods in the BT story line. TROs sell, too. The effort to resolve past threads will pay. Some might argue publishing these would paint future writers into corners, but beyond 3145, the universe is *literally* an open book (or .doc file ;) ). Also, a unique variant appearing here or there would not destroy the timeline.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2014, 11:20:53 by S.gage »
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #126 on: 23 March 2014, 12:47:02 »

Nice link! :)

Yes! Must have dump truck mech! More infantry TRO entries would be good too. More infantry types would be nice too. And we do need more canon targets to shoot at. :)

There's a lot more but I think I better stop here.  :D

May call for a fan TRO. Doesn't seem like enough other people share our perverse fascination with infantry gear and ICE 'mechs ... plus, I think the idea at this point is to lay rubber getting out of the Dark Age era and into the ilClan and beyond ...

Technomagier

• Corporal
« Reply #127 on: 24 March 2014, 04:31:14 »
Personally i would love a sourcebook/TRO that was all about militias and low-end equipment. Basically a book with lots and lots of armed industrial mechs, conventional fighters, up-gunned support vehicles and other gear and equipment that you would only see on a backwater world or with a local defense force but not with regular outfits.
[..]

I second that.

I also wish for a Book that is all about scenario- , campaign- and worlddesign. Maybe w/ additions for ATOW. Rules for specific dangerous environment (Active vulcanos, aggressive flora and fauna, salvaging, economics and logistics in campaigns, natural disasters in scenarios, ressources etc.)

Edit: And of course, guides to model the terrain ;)
The difference between theory and practice is, that in theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #128 on: 24 March 2014, 08:01:53 »
XTRO: Clans - The Golden Age
Battletech Scrapyard - concepts, ideas, *funnies*, sketches, dumped art, wild brainstorming ... things never getting published, but interesting to read about.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #129 on: 24 March 2014, 08:54:36 »
Interstellar Players:Illuminati: In the Dark Age Era
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #130 on: 24 March 2014, 09:01:04 »
In the interest of at least getting you started until this non-existent sourcebook sees the light of day...

Rules for specific dangerous environment (Active vulcanos, aggressive flora and fauna, salvaging, economics and logistics in campaigns, natural disasters in scenarios, ressources etc.)
Tactical Operations has info re: hostile terrain and natural disasters like active volcanoes, etc.
Strategic Operations has some info about salvaging, economics, logistics in campaigns.

Edit: And of course, guides to model the terrain ;)
The Miniatures and Terrain board has a Terrain forum that would have some pointers. I'm sure someone there can give you pointers to other useful tutorials.

Granted, not a sourcebook, but still useful to get started.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Kos

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #131 on: 24 March 2014, 18:19:36 »
Two off the top of my head:

Turning point: Kiamba (3rd Prosserpina Hussars vs. Clan Smoke Jaguar in jungle warfare)

and

An 'alternate history' setting for Battletech, using the classic rules, but set in a alternate timeline where 'mechs are developed circa the early 21st century.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #132 on: 24 March 2014, 18:48:37 »
An 'alternate history' setting for Battletech, using the classic rules, but set in a alternate timeline where 'mechs are developed circa the early 21st century.

You've reminded me!

Official Alternate Settings alternate dimensions where things went differently. One-shot What Ifs, Including, but not limited to:

- Successful Clan Invasion

- No Clan Invasion Ever.

- No Jihad, No Dark Age.

- Alien Invasion.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #133 on: 24 March 2014, 19:28:23 »
TRO : Less produced Mech variants of the Succession Wars .

Given the setting and conditions - Mechs had to have been made with
what was available instead of what they were originally designed for .
Additional variants have also been suggested in the fluff text several times.
( Read the TRO: 3025 Archer entry for example )

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #134 on: 24 March 2014, 20:48:40 »
May call for a fan TRO. Doesn't seem like enough other people share our perverse fascination with infantry gear and ICE 'mechs ... plus, I think the idea at this point is to lay rubber getting out of the Dark Age era and into the ilClan and beyond ...

Yeah. You're probably right. But I don't know why a few couldn't be included in each future TRO either.

XTRO: Clans - The Golden Age
Battletech Scrapyard - concepts, ideas, *funnies*, sketches, dumped art, wild brainstorming ... things never getting published, but interesting to read about.

Those would be cool.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #135 on: 25 March 2014, 09:57:07 »
Yeah. You're probably right. But I don't know why a few couldn't be included in each future TRO either.

The in-universe explanation would be that there was a flood of industrialmech MOD usage, particularly in the Republic, starting in 3132 but decreasing steadily as more and more actual battlemechs were brought on-line .... In real life, most gamers are not going to be reaching for the ICE 'mechs on a regular basis, and on top of that, for some people, they represent the "Wizkids Era" and are thusly disliked by association. Plus, the new Vehicle Annex (apparently) has rules that help us build these, so we can generate the dump trucks. But, yeah, I think there could easily be one or two XTRO: Dark Age books filled with ICE MODs, converted civilian vehicles, and some of the new infantry equipment. With all the invasions and incursions, I would expect desperate planetary militias in Davion, Steiner, and Remnant space to continue the trend of militarizing industrialmechs ... but again, these aren't the battles that most Battletech players are necessarily hot to re-create.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #136 on: 25 March 2014, 11:35:33 »
Maybe a book with all the weapons in one book. From all the books and the special rules about them.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #137 on: 25 March 2014, 18:51:25 »
The Grand Atlas of Charted Space.  Fully Annotated.   ^-^
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

331crucislancer

• Recruit
  • Heart, faith, and an LB 10-X.
« Reply #138 on: 25 March 2014, 19:01:57 »
House Cameron/Terran Hegemony housebook, please! Concentrated on 2316-2550 to minimize overlap with Star League materials. I'd especially like details about Hegemony culture and the politcal structure, and about the HAF and its force structure (particularly which HAF units became which SLDF Royal units).
On a less unlikely subject, an Era Report: 2550 would be good too.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #139 on: 25 March 2014, 19:35:00 »
I already have one of the them: Field Manual: SLDF.

Additionally, I want something which elaborates more on civilian life. My roleplaying group at college (the three-ish of us) don't really have much to go on for what life is like for civilians, in terms of technology and lifestyle (we've had to handle it as "real life, unless otherwise specified").

I'd also like a Field Manual for the Brotherhood of Randis.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

331crucislancer

• Recruit
  • Heart, faith, and an LB 10-X.
« Reply #140 on: 25 March 2014, 22:30:31 »
I already have one of the them: Field Manual: SLDF.

Mm, i agree... for a post-2570 HAF. But I'm really interested in exploring an Age of War-era HAF, which I suspect to be a rather different animal .

What  interests me most, though, is an examination  of Hegemony culture and government. The only place either has really  been touched on is the Star League  sourcebook (and tangentially in the Year of the Star League books), and at least half the mentions in the former were so positive sounding it sounded like either  pro-terran propaganda or rose tinted nostalgia. (Being a Terran fanboy i'd love to buy the former but...) A modern, detailed look would be fascinating. (And very niche which is why it's posted in this thread...)

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #141 on: 26 March 2014, 02:59:05 »
The in-universe explanation would be that there was a flood of industrialmech MOD usage, particularly in the Republic, starting in 3132 but decreasing steadily as more and more actual battlemechs were brought on-line .... In real life, most gamers are not going to be reaching for the ICE 'mechs on a regular basis, and on top of that, for some people, they represent the "Wizkids Era" and are thusly disliked by association. Plus, the new Vehicle Annex (apparently) has rules that help us build these, so we can generate the dump trucks. But, yeah, I think there could easily be one or two XTRO: Dark Age books filled with ICE MODs, converted civilian vehicles, and some of the new infantry equipment. With all the invasions and incursions, I would expect desperate planetary militias in Davion, Steiner, and Remnant space to continue the trend of militarizing industrialmechs ... but again, these aren't the battles that most Battletech players are necessarily hot to re-create.

Yeah, I can see most players not wanting to use them regularly. But there are some who would. And even if you don't use them regularly they're still nice to have when you want them. I can also see some not liking the Wizkids era but I think the Industrial Mechs and MODs were the best things about it.  I have wondered if TRO:VA would have done better if the units were more militarized. I'm thrilled it was updated but without official record sheets they'd be customs which not everyone allows on their table. That leaves those of us who want dump truck mechs out. :( Oh well.  I can still hope we'll get them one day. :)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #142 on: 26 March 2014, 08:33:29 »
ER: 3025
Historical; Succession Wars

Something with the Leviathan Jumpship in it.

Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #143 on: 26 March 2014, 20:45:11 »
Historical Turning Points: Strana Mechty

Will Star Colonel Ramil Kerensky make his bold stand, or be crushed by the assorted Clan forces able to respond?  Will this proverbial fart in the pews of the Clan's sacred Home World be snuffed at the source, or will it succeed in vanquishing all before it, while absconding with the original copies of the Wolf Clan's founders, as well as the greatest prize of them all, the Kerensky legacies?

The most infamous raid to ever take place outside of the IS.  All in one killer package. 

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #144 on: 26 March 2014, 20:59:12 »
Yeah, I can see most players not wanting to use them regularly. But there are some who would. And even if you don't use them regularly they're still nice to have when you want them. I can also see some not liking the Wizkids era but I think the Industrial Mechs and MODs were the best things about it.  I have wondered if TRO:VA would have done better if the units were more militarized. I'm thrilled it was updated but without official record sheets they'd be customs which not everyone allows on their table. That leaves those of us who want dump truck mechs out. :( Oh well.  I can still hope we'll get them one day. :)

With the Dark Age era getting at least partially rehabilitated, there is always hope ... maybe we'll see something in the Dark Age turning points ... the two that have been released both have record sheets for ICE 'mechs ... Dig Lords, Harvesters, CattleMasters, PeaceMakers. Nothing new and no MODs, but at least there's a presence. Lots of ideas on this thread would be good to see, sooner or later ...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #145 on: 26 March 2014, 21:02:15 »
Experimental Technical Readout: Cloak and Dagger -  TRO full of undercover and stealth gear hasn't been cover yet.  From purpose built spy cars (oil slick, machine guns) Stealth Power Suits made better than Nighthawk, stealth planes meant for assassinations without being caught. etc.  We've had something similar, but I don't think we've really gotten stuff we can use in ATOW.  Rotunda is combat car, friggin super heavy to be considered a undercover car...thing weighs like tank! ;)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #146 on: 27 March 2014, 02:13:17 »
Experimental Technical Readout: Cloak and Dagger -  TRO full of undercover and stealth gear hasn't been cover yet.  From purpose built spy cars (oil slick, machine guns) Stealth Power Suits made better than Nighthawk, stealth planes meant for assassinations without being caught. etc.  We've had something similar, but I don't think we've really gotten stuff we can use in ATOW.  Rotunda is combat car, friggin super heavy to be considered a undercover car...thing weighs like tank! ;)
Along those lines I'd rather have something that covered alternate timelines/realities. For instance the Partial Wing isn't great in the modern era unless your putting it on a machine that's designed to push the jumping envelope, but back in 3025?

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #147 on: 27 March 2014, 05:35:57 »
Historical Turning Points: Strana Mechty

Will Star Colonel Ramil Kerensky make his bold stand, or be crushed by the assorted Clan forces able to respond?  Will this proverbial fart in the pews of the Clan's sacred Home World be snuffed at the source, or will it succeed in vanquishing all before it, while absconding with the original copies of the Wolf Clan's founders, as well as the greatest prize of them all, the Kerensky legacies?

The most infamous raid to ever take place outside of the IS.  All in one killer package.

With this killer premise I would buy this product O0

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #148 on: 27 March 2014, 06:36:26 »
Along those lines I'd rather have something that covered alternate timelines/realities. For instance the Partial Wing isn't great in the modern era unless your putting it on a machine that's designed to push the jumping envelope, but back in 3025?
Some those technologies were around in 3025 or Succession War Era, before the 31st Century..such as the fluid gun, which is Pre-flight type technology.  You don't have to have high-technology for cloak and dagger stuff.  However, if you want toys you'll find them when you need them.  Warrior Series highlight some of thoses with Justin Allard running around Solaris and so forth.     

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #149 on: 27 March 2014, 14:23:02 »
If the Handbooks sold well, this would've happened. But alas, no. Not by a long shot, even.

Undo the mistakes of TPTB of the past, then.  Combine the Clans into one faction (call it the ilClan if you must) and once the game is down to 6 factions you can 'add' to the universe by detailing sub-sets of the existing factions rather than needing to pull stuff from the regions of space where the sun doesn't shine to evolve the storyline.

Of course single faction sourcebooks didn't sell when the paying playerbase was encouraged to divide loyalties between 5 Houses, 20 Clans, 2 flavors of ComStar, and any number of minor powers.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2014, 14:24:38 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Register