Author Topic: Sourcebooks of Your Dreams  (Read 24198 times)

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
Re: Sourcebooks of Your Dreams
« Reply #180 on: 01 April 2014, 08:30:47 »
I'm confused,  How would such a book answer mysteries fro a conflict 300+ years later?

As Wrangler no doubt caught it(pun intended), an Objectives: 2750 written from the perspective of the SLIC immediately discloses every secret facility(such as Gabriel-like bases), all the shipyards(letting us know where Obeedah is), and all the planets with military industry. Of course, I'm specifically looking for those major factory planets akin to Hesperus II and New Avalon, so such information will easily lead us to Taussen. Also, the overall information will be most useful for someone to play in a SL-era setting or grand campaigns in later eras to determine which planet might still have hidden lostech gems to salvage etc.

Thus the most lingering questions from the Jihad have been resolved instead of further ISP and Jihad books going in circles about it.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2014, 08:32:57 by ArkRoyalRavager »

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #181 on: 01 April 2014, 11:54:35 »
Since it seems to be a pretty popular thread;

TRO: 1988
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #182 on: 01 April 2014, 13:05:45 »
Thus the most lingering questions from the Jihad have been resolved instead of further ISP and Jihad books going in circles about it.

The hidden worlds already got divulged back in november.

Hi,

Real Name vs. Shown Name
Ruins of Gabriel  is Odessa (LC)
Jardine is Heraklion (FWL)
Obeedah is Sharpe (CC)
Taussen is Versailles (FS)
Mayadi is Tangerz (DC)

By 3100, Jardine, Gabriel, and Mayadi were found (and all destroyed: Jardine by traps volcano, Gabriel was shattered completely, and Mayadai had poisoned itself at least a century prior). The others were never found.

Thanks,

- Herb
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #183 on: 01 April 2014, 15:51:03 »
A Real Tech bible, A book that describes what B-tech can or can not do... Like how strong is the armor, Gauss rifle, laser cannons, how fast can a unit really go or even what makes up a Standard Autocannon round?

A Military organization book, like what exactly dose a house regiment have in terms of organic and regularly attached supporting units (Think 4th succession wars atlas style) for all unit types, Battlemech, Infantry, Armor, Mechanized infantry, Battle armor, Artillery, Engineer, aircraft, and even Dropship and small craft units. Also the differences between houses, and sub unit types (like whats the difference between a Armored Regiment and a Armor Regiment...) also for different eras, also what really makes up a Clan cluster...

A book that details at the lest in some what vague terms the availability of units available to the various factions at a given time, when they where produced and or when production ended. Like in an idea of how common say the Centurion would be in Davion units compared to Kurita units... Though in a some what vague idea. Also an idea of how fast they could be built would be nice (not insomuch as a hard they can build XXXX in a year but as they can make this in a said range in a year).

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #184 on: 01 April 2014, 19:38:29 »
As Wrangler no doubt caught it(pun intended), an Objectives: 2750 written from the perspective of the SLIC immediately discloses every secret facility(such as Gabriel-like bases), all the shipyards(letting us know where Obeedah is), and all the planets with military industry. Of course, I'm specifically looking for those major factory planets akin to Hesperus II and New Avalon, so such information will easily lead us to Taussen. Also, the overall information will be most useful for someone to play in a SL-era setting or grand campaigns in later eras to determine which planet might still have hidden lostech gems to salvage etc.

Ah, I got you.  I had different lingering questions, such as why has the Word remnant chosen to remain perfectly hidden, where is Erinyes, and what exactly happened to Appolyon's pants.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #185 on: 02 April 2014, 00:33:31 »
Ah, I got you.  I had different lingering questions, such as why has the Word remnant chosen to remain perfectly hidden, where is Erinyes, and what exactly happened to Appolyon's pants.

Can't answer the first two, but a certain azul marsupial was seen in the area the last time Appolyon's pants were seen, and there was a report of all the infero chilli on Gibson being bought by credit card, and charged to the WOB...... >:D

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #186 on: 02 April 2014, 06:51:45 »
Faction stereotypes book.

The unit/weapon/organization that exaggerates each of the different Houses, Periphery Nations, corporate defense groups, etc.

I.e. for the FWL section, you might have a fleet listing that has 3 different types of ships, one a dedicated Small craft killer, one a dedicated battle line ship, and one a dedicated carrier.  Each is optimized for its fleet function, but needs one or the other to cover its weaknesses.  If one of the FWL regions tries to rebel, it will only have access to ships of one design, instead of all three.  This makes it much easier to defeat in space.

Or for Kurita, you might have Dragon, Panther, and similar PPC based units.  For a company you'd have a single Heavy or Assault, with a large mix of Mediums and Lights (the Samurai and his minions).  However, a note would be made that due to the number of Monolith Jumpships, interstellar shipping in the Combine is cheaper, allowing for a higher productivity.  (Each docking collar used on a Monolith instead of a Merchant saves the Combine ~196k C-Bills per jump, or ~1.7 million C-Bills per week.  Assuming 40 jumps per year, this is 70 million C-Bills saved.)

Steiner would have a modified Leopard with one of the Fighter Bays removed, and an Infantry Bay replacing it (plus more cargo).  The Infantry Bay represents the various hangers-on, base personnel, arm candy, etc 'needed' by a Steiner Recon Lance.

Davion would have a Warship design, but with lots of RAC/5 mounted on it.  I.e. the Fox Warship would have the Large Pulse Lasers and Machine Guns removed, and replaced with massed batteries of RAC/5.

Taurian forces would always have an artillery unit attached, for a nuclear surprise in case they need it.

Canopian forces would have additional hospital equipment, and their infantry forces would do less damage per platoon (extra medical personnel replace them).  This is explained that Canopian forces are often in the field, and need to be able to treat more wounds than other forces can send to a rear aid station.

Outworlds Alliance would just have the basic Leopard Carrier Dropship, with possibly even a Union modified to be just a carrier.

Comstar would have Faslane and similar ships to repair Jumpships that are damaged.  Word of Blake would have industrial Dropships whose job is to uplift the local planet (and make them loyal to WoB, not a House).

The Clan side would be Bloodname units.  You'd have the Kerensky design, the Fetladrel PA design, aso.  Each Bloodname would have its signature unit specifically suited to their personality.  These would be horrifically expensive in BV, as it is nearly a custom Mech/ASF/PA built for a few people (plus those people would have obscene stats, so you could literally have a single Mech fighting an Inner Sphere Lance or company, and considering it a fair fight).

Corporate groups would be the relatively cheap small units, with a very few expensive units for critical defense locations.  So you might get used to seeing lots of Quikcell wheeled vehicles with RL raiding your Mechs as you approach, but there are a few AC/20 vehs waiting for you when you get close and have nowhere to dodge.  Or an artillery unit with lots of tech toys, but with orders to retreat if you get within one mapsheet.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #187 on: 02 April 2014, 09:57:58 »
The hidden worlds already got divulged back in november.

[metalhealth] Thanks for that. I missed that post. However, how to reconcile Herb's post with the IE expedition that never found any habitable planets in Versailles? Is that supposed to mean the MD were that good at hiding?

Besides the part about Apollyon's pants, the rest should be answered in a Blake Documents 2. From an MD perspective.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #188 on: 02 April 2014, 11:23:17 »
[metalhealth] Thanks for that. I missed that post. However, how to reconcile Herb's post with the IE expedition that never found any habitable planets in Versailles? Is that supposed to mean the MD were that good at hiding?

Yeah, i think that got touched on in the thread, but I thought that was kinda weak  that we got one of them outright discredited, and it turned out to be the location of one.. I took it to mean the IE books were a waste and i was silly to pay them any mind.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #189 on: 02 April 2014, 14:48:22 »

Besides the part about Apollyon's pants, the rest should be answered in a Blake Documents 2. From an MD perspective.
Or they could have been in a hollow asteroid or other artificial construction. Hidden space station?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #190 on: 02 April 2014, 15:35:14 »
Or they could have been in a hollow asteroid or other artificial construction. Hidden space station?

Tsk.  Don't you remember the ISP fluff where the C* agent was captured by the WoB MD in the station hiding within hyperspace?

Probably, it would be a concealed asteroid base.  But its unlikely the IE people checked things like the system's Oort cloud.  Plenty of room to hide in an entire star system.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #191 on: 03 April 2014, 10:19:17 »
Well Taussen at least was described as a planetary ecosystem. I don't think an asteroid or artificial construction can have a self-contained mega-factory with ecosystems...

Obeedah though could be an artificial. Gabriel was hidden so well and it was a shipyard too.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #192 on: 03 April 2014, 11:06:12 »
Taussen could've been found by ISP and deliberately kept secret as a new corporate interest for the company...

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #193 on: 03 April 2014, 12:51:36 »
Taussen could've been found by ISP and deliberately kept secret as a new corporate interest for the company...

There are a lot of possible reasons Taussen would have turned up a "false negative", really. We never decided why, but front-runners included that the IE team that went there had a WoB mole in play, that the company decided to keep that secret for itself, or that IE simply missed it, given the extremely small size and secretive nature of the facilities the Hidden bases, relative to their homeworlds, used to keep up appearances (Jardine had only one city of note on the entire planet when it was obliterated; Gabriel was a block of ice on the outskirts of a gas giant's dust ring).

There was also continuity to consider: these worlds are stated as being missing even in the 3130s. Having one found in the 3090s period covered by IE3 would have created a continuity headache.

Thanks,

- Herb

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #194 on: 03 April 2014, 15:50:42 »
IE simply missing it seems like the most plausible explanation, but where would we be without wild conspiracy theories? ;)

If it was genuinely missed and no-one's likely to look there again after the IE survey, I rather like the idea of it just staying lost. It's nice to think that there's a world somewhere in the Inner Sphere where the population can get away with living quietly.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #195 on: 03 April 2014, 17:24:44 »
Well Taussen at least was described as a planetary ecosystem. I don't think an asteroid or artificial construction can have a self-contained mega-factory with ecosystems...

Obeedah though could be an artificial. Gabriel was hidden so well and it was a shipyard too.

Obeedah was said to have a population in the billions (unique amongst the Hidden), so being artificial is highly unlikely.  But not beyond the reach of science fiction, I'll grant that, certainly. 

And in general, I like the idea of them fading away in memory, never to be found.  You never know when or if they might manifest a threat to the IS again...  even if it's just at the table.
« Last Edit: 03 April 2014, 17:26:17 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #196 on: 03 April 2014, 20:36:07 »
Of course we only know that Taussen is ground based or Obeedah has a population of billions because that's what Jarvis Bolarugu claimed, and we know there are differences between his account of Jardine and what Brooklyn Stevens saw...

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #197 on: 03 April 2014, 20:55:33 »
Certainly, that's true.  I guess it all goes back to a familiar answer; the remaining Hidden are whatever we want them to be. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert