Author Topic: King of the Hill, Tempe, AZ, Feb 6  (Read 18043 times)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
King of the Hill, Tempe, AZ, Feb 6
« on: 26 January 2011, 13:36:38 »
King of the Hill
Sunday, February 6th at Game Depot

Mission Synopsis:  As part of the unit competitions on Solaris VII, groups of mercenaries will compete to be the first to the top of a small mountain, holding it against all comers.

Time:  We are scheduled to start at 12:30pm; “last round” will be called four hours after the start of the game.  You'll miss the kickoff for the Super Bowl, but should be home in time for the second quarter.

Unit selection:  Miniatures & record sheets for pre-made forces will be provided, but players are encouraged to bring their own forces, created in accordance with the rules below.  ‘Mechs only – no vehicles, infantry, aerospace, etc.
•   Your force will consist of two or more non-identical ‘mechs weighing in total no more than 120 tons.  All ‘mechs must be Inner Sphere tournament-legal “book” designs (no customs or modified ‘mechs – it must have been published in a record sheet compilation, either in print or PDF).
•   All units will have a Gunnery skill of 3 and a Piloting skill of 4.
•   Bringing assembled miniatures that exactly match your units will give each unit one point of Edge that may be used to re-roll one roll directly affecting said unit once during the battle.

Terrain and setup description:  The mountain will be created from BattleHex terrain on one 4’x6’ map sheet (2” hexes).  There will be at least one cliff face of three levels high, which will have to be climbed or jumped up.  It will be possible to reach the top with a jump of only 3, but there may be a shorter route requiring a jump of 4 or more.  The top will be a small plateau, three hexes in area.  ‘Mechs will set up in one of twelve marked starting areas that will be evenly spread along the edges of the map.  Placement will be in random order.

Victory Conditions:  When a ‘mech ends a round on the summit, its owner scores one point in the round the ‘mech reached the summit, two points for the second consecutive round on the summit, three for the third, and so on.  The first round a ‘mech or ‘mechs ends a round on the summit, a bonus point will be awarded to those ‘mechs.  In the event of a tie at the end of the game, the first tiebreak will be being on the summit in that round, the second will be size of said ‘mech, the third will be number of ‘mechs on the summit, and the fourth will be how close any remaining ‘mechs owned by the same player are to the summit.

Special Rules:  We will be using the rules in Total Warfare, with the following modifications:
•   There is no “edge of the world.”  If a ‘mech is up against a map edge, the three hexes that would be surrounding the ‘mech off the board are now legal hexes for movement.  If a ‘mech moves into any of those hexes, it opens up all of its surrounding hexes, and so on.  This is to prevent ‘mechs from placing their back to an invisible “wall” to protect it.
•   Modified initiative:  Index cards bearing the players’ names will be dealt out at the start of each round.  Movement will be in order.  Move half of your ‘mechs, rounded down.  (If you have two or three, move one.  Four or five, move two.  Six, move three.)  The order will then be stepped through in reverse, with everyone moving his or her remaining ‘mechs.
•   In the event a Death From Above attack fails, the attacker will be displaced into a random empty hex, rather than the defender.
•   No teams.  If you are good friends with another player (and for some reason you don’t want to blow them to bits), please try to set up opposite them if possible. 
•   Note that despite the use of three-dimensional terrain, the level two LOS rules will be used.  Just because it doesn’t look like you can see another ‘mech doesn’t mean that’s the case – the terrain is still a bit of an abstract representation.  Remember: adjacent hexes always have line-of-sight – even if one hex is eight levels higher!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: King of the Hill, Tempe, AZ, Feb 6
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2011, 13:00:07 »
Looking forward to this, as usual  [rockon]

Still can't make up my mind on my own minis.
Will likely be using yours w/o edge points.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2011, 14:16:12 »
No problem, I'll have lots of pre-made 'mech pairings ready to lend out.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2011, 18:05:10 »
BAH,  had a work scheduling issue come up today,  probably won't be able to make it now.

That's it, all vacations canceled for everyone  [tickedoff]

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2011, 15:41:12 »
Sorry to hear that.

For those of you who can make it, please arrive on time so that those of us who want to watch the Super Bowl don't miss much more than the opening kickoff.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2011, 02:12:39 »
Oh, that reminds me, need to set the DVR/Tivo thingy to record the game.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2011, 19:07:09 »
Solid game as always.  Pity about the low turnout, but that's what I get for scheduling a game on Super Bowl Sunday...

It was hard-faught to the end, with lots of DFAs.  In a departure from most games, every 'mech that fell off the hill survived -- even the level 8 drop!  Congrats to Jarod, the winner, and Dave for second place.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2011, 01:06:32 »
Jarod who hasn't been to a game in like 2 years Jarod ?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2011, 18:47:28 »
No, Jarod the teenager.  We had one of those "I thought you were going to shoot him" moments, so when the DFA missed and one of his 'mechs was on the hill for the third consecutive round he gained an unassailable lead.

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2011, 04:02:35 »
Hey Joel, When is the next event?
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant