Author Topic: How do I determine personal armor BAR values without using hit location rules?  (Read 1871 times)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
I know how to assign personal armor BAR values based off of what armor my character has on when using hit location rules, but not without hit location rules.   

I know that, "Basic combat rules presume that all characters aim their attacks at the target's center of mass, and so any damage done is generalized," (from, page 190); How do I--mathematically--generalize all of the various BAR values of all the various pieces of personal armor that a character has on? 

Moreover, "When using hit locations, the BAR of any personal armor must be that of the armor in the specific body location struck, rather than the character's overall BAR," (from, page 190.) So, mathematically, what is a character's overall BAR?

guardiandashi

• Major
I know how to assign personal armor BAR values based off of what armor my character has on when using hit location rules, but not without hit location rules.   

I know that, "Basic combat rules presume that all characters aim their attacks at the target's center of mass, and so any damage done is generalized," (from, page 190); How do I--mathematically--generalize all of the various BAR values of all the various pieces of personal armor that a character has on? 

Moreover, "When using hit locations, the BAR of any personal armor must be that of the armor in the specific body location struck, rather than the character's overall BAR," (from, page 190.) So, mathematically, what is a character's overall BAR?

I believe for simplicity you can just use the torso BAR

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
The description of the armor should say if the locations BAR is different. IIRC. Otherwise use the torso values.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
As the others have said, the "overall" BAR is the torso BAR.  The Companion uses that value when converting to TW scale.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Thanks guys. Using the torso BAR value does make sense with some of the examples. I appreciate your confirmation.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
I suspect you may find the second link in my signature helpful as well, particularly for seeing the differences between using hit locations and not.

Further note a rather simple way to mix the two so that protecting all locations with armor stays a good idea would be simply to aim shots.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
I suspect you may find the second link in my signature helpful as well, particularly for seeing the differences between using hit locations and not.

Further note a rather simple way to mix the two so that protecting all locations with armor stays a good idea would be simply to aim shots.

Thanks, I read over that. It was helpful.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
You are welcome.  And I really should get back to working on that project one of these days.