Author Topic: XotW backups?  (Read 6109 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Master Sergeant
  • Starting over is hard to do...
    • Team Cincinnati BattleTech!
XotW backups?
« on: 25 January 2011, 19:58:18 »
All right - let's get thing thing off right.  Who's got backups of the articles?  I'm able to contribute only a few dozen MotWs, I'm afraid.  My own cache has disappeared...
Every time a grognard comes to realise the game can't survive purely on his dog-eared copy of the Warrior Trilogy, duct-taped CityTech boxed set and personal sense of spite and has taken a tack of mild concern for the future marketability of the game...an angel gets its wings.

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: XotW backups?
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2011, 19:59:28 »
All right - let's get thing thing off right.  Who's got backups of the articles?  I'm able to contribute only a few dozen MotWs, I'm afraid.  My own cache has disappeared...

We've got most of the MOTW's archived
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2011, 20:19:41 »
I've got all two of the ones I did.  ;)
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2011, 20:24:53 »
As I mentioned on the VotW topic I started, I have all of my old VotWs.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2011, 20:46:41 »
And I've got all my new ones.  GWA, if you could get me that archive, I'll handle sorting it out for reposting for you - with some of the more recent updates, I'm going to repost the two articles together if I can.  (The S-class hovercraft article from JHB is already packaged that way if you want to see what I'm talking about.)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 00:07:28 »
  I've still got the originals of my Fighter of the Week articles, though I can't swear that I saved every last byte of discussion those articles received.   :-\  I'll see about reposting them ASAP, though the 'fan designs go in Fan Designs' rule is going make that a little interesting/complicated.

And just as a touch of cosmic perversity?  I was on the point of starting to cover the latest batch of new fighters when the forums were hacked.   [tickedoff]  :D

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 00:11:07 »
So: "Fresh content" is good . . . 8)
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 02:20:04 »
I've got all my old Mech ones, but just the articles, not the threads.

That said, I'm fine with leaving them be.  We've got a fine group of writers, plenty of enthusiasiam for the work, and more over plenty of updates comming out as Catalyst gets back to agressively running TROs and record sheets.  Yes, there was a lot of excelent work that was done (I'd like to imagine that some of it was mine, though I know I did my fair share of junk as well).  And its sad to think that new people might never see the CWD articles that started it all (I still take a sense of insperation from them, though I've gotten more of my own style naturaly over the years). 

But let's let this board's articles be this board's.  Let's not let the spector, how ever informed and elequent we might find them, of older articles rule the articles of the present.

Anyway, I expect we'll get the important ones knocked out in the first year or so.  And I call the Marauder update!
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 08:09:06 »
It's the fact that we've got so much at once that makes me lean toward going ahead and reposting things.  The sheer volume of things we're wading through, plus some of the 'Mechs not needing updates at all, means we'd be a long time getting to some of those designs at one a week.

My current Vehicle of the Week articles will be reposted with the discussions over the course of the next week or so.  I need time to spot check the TRO3085 articles against Cutting Edge aside from the Fensalir and Pandion (which, of course, aren't in the book yet).

If we are reposting, please redact out designs based on a PM conversation with Welshman.  A lot of those discussions are very valuable and informative for perspective if nothing else, so let's try and preserve them when we can.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 09:06:51 »
I am going to have to bow out of this one.  Even if I had the free time for another repost-a-thon, I can't really feel inclined to do so.  That, and I never saved a lot of the more recent articles.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2011, 10:33:20 »
I'm planning on updating all the ones I did ages ago for new content and such.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Grantwhy

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2011, 00:15:20 »
  I've still got the originals of my Fighter of the Week articles, though I can't swear that I saved every last byte of discussion those articles received.   :-\  I'll see about reposting them ASAP, though the 'fan designs go in Fan Designs' rule is going make that a little interesting/complicated.

apologies if I'm out of line, but a dedicated thread in the Fan Designs forum for each XotW article might be a possible solution.

a link in the XotW article (top and bottom?) to the dedicated design forum thread combined with a large letters reminder/warning to post designs/suggested modifications there might be a way allowing both XotW authors and readers to do their fan designs/suggestions away from the eyes of TPTB.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness.

Don't fight rabbits if you taste like lettuce.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2011, 01:24:47 »

apologies if I'm out of line, but a dedicated thread in the Fan Designs forum for each XotW article might be a possible solution.

a link in the XotW article (top and bottom?) to the dedicated design forum thread combined with a large letters reminder/warning to post designs/suggested modifications there might be a way allowing both XotW authors and readers to do their fan designs/suggestions away from the eyes of TPTB.
  Yeah, I was thinking along those lines, too.  My working idea was to put up the design-thread 'first' by a shade, then remove the designs from their point(s) in the article and replace them with links to the Fan Design post(s) - each FotW would have a corresponding FD thread.  (If nothing else, that measure would help accelerate my return to a Captaincy.  :D)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2011, 08:17:28 »
That sounds like it would work fine.

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2011, 14:51:33 »
So I have to repost everything? Ouch.

I've got pretty much all of mine, and may as well do some updating. Anyone think a timetable other than weekly is a good idea?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2011, 17:02:46 »
For reposting?  Sure.

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2011, 22:23:14 »
But let's let this board's articles be this board's.  Let's not let the spector, how ever informed and elequent we might find them, of older articles rule the articles of the present.
I've got to say, I agree with this.  There's no need for us to go back and spam the boards with our reposts.  They were good, I enjoyed everything I wrote, and I look forward to writing more.  But we can't live in the past, and as you said, we've got a lot of plenty fine writers out there.

On an aside, I may go through and post my vehicle articles on my personal website.  It's a lot easier to dump 'em all that way.  I dunno yet.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 28 January 2011, 22:38:41 »
I am at least going to repost the rest of my TRO3060 Updates and the TRO3085 stuff.  Those articles are all up to date and less than a year old.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2011, 23:17:04 »
I've got to say, I agree with this.  There's no need for us to go back and spam the boards with our reposts.  They were good, I enjoyed everything I wrote, and I look forward to writing more.  But we can't live in the past, and as you said, we've got a lot of plenty fine writers out there.

On an aside, I may go through and post my vehicle articles on my personal website.  It's a lot easier to dump 'em all that way.  I dunno yet.

I should think it would at least be good to have all the reposts from the 'lost time' until back to October. Those so interested can get the rest from the archives, while they last.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2011, 14:28:17 »
I love these... This time I will actually get a chance to use them too. Thanks.

GreyWolf.

Register