Author Topic: Legacy Star League Formations  (Read 1472 times)

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
Legacy Star League Formations
« on: 27 June 2023, 01:50:59 »
Do SLDF formations that are legacies of pre-Star League nations retain their insignia? (And should the Sarna pages include those insignia?) It's not like FASA was shy about about plastering the "boy scout patch" all over the Renegade Legion 2d ACR book.
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Legacy Star League Formations
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2023, 14:47:56 »
Huh, I thought the Screaming Eagles used the puke'n chicken . . . guess not.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2023, 17:46:20 »
All the legacy units I've seen on Sarna either have no insignia or the generic Star League star, hence the question.

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2023, 18:18:10 »
The Royal Black Watch Regiment have an insignia that is similar to, but not the same as the insignia for the current real life Black Watch, the 3rd Battalion, Royal Scots Regiment. Other than that exceptional unit, they don't have unit insignia attached to them other than maybe the Cameron Star. If the Royal Black Watch are any indication, they likely did continue using an evolution of the current real life unit insignia, unless the Royal Black Watch were the only unit allowed to keep their traditional insignia.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #4 on: 27 June 2023, 21:39:18 »
The Royal Black Watch, even before its reconstitution by Ian Cameron, was supported by and had sworn fealty to the Cameron family going all the way back to pre-spaceflight Terra, so I'd definitely call them the definition of "exception to the rule".
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2023, 03:56:01 »
Not sure exactly how the American (or other units) units got pulled into the monarchical SLDF, but I know the units. If they were inducted wholecloth, there would be some...pushback over not being allowed their totems. I understand from colleagues that British Army units tend to share this attitude, perhaps moreso than Americans.. And the Black Watch isn't the only unit with their own insignia; cf Minnesota Tribe. So, questions.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2023, 06:15:18 »
... Minnesota Tribe. So, questions.
that's what I first thought of too
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2023, 06:35:19 »
Do SLDF formations that are legacies of pre-Star League nations retain their insignia? (And should the Sarna pages include those insignia?) It's not like FASA was shy about about plastering the "boy scout patch" all over the Renegade Legion 2d ACR book.

We don't know. And until we get an answer from CGL (or official artwork for the unit insignia) Sarna's probably going to continue using the generic SLDF insignia.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2023, 09:54:46 »
I am unsure of exact insignia but the SLDF did have the 1st Infantry Division, 82nd Royal Jump Infantry Division and 101st Jump Infantry division all in its ranks and the SLDF books states they all traced their lineage back to the Terran member state the USA.

If they trace lineage it may be safe to assume insignia did not change.
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2023, 16:51:44 »
I am unsure of exact insignia but the SLDF did have the 1st Infantry Division, 82nd Royal Jump Infantry Division and 101st Jump Infantry division all in its ranks and the SLDF books states they all traced their lineage back to the Terran member state the USA.

I was just thinking of those myself.  Big Red One!

Maybe the French Demi-Brigade uses the Foreign Legion symbol?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #10 on: 29 June 2023, 11:41:15 »

I can't imagine the 101st Jump Infantry Division giving up their gagging chicken patch!   :thumbsup:

Likewise, the 82nd Royal Jump Infantry Division would Probably retain their Alcoholics Anonymous patch.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2023, 12:07:08 »
I can't imagine the 101st Jump Infantry Division giving up their gagging chicken patch!   :thumbsup:

Likewise, the 82nd Royal Jump Infantry Division would Probably retain their Alcoholics Anonymous patch.

The identity and espirit de corps is why you integrate those formations as they are- you do not have to build a identity and at the beginning it allows a focus for any lingering nationalism.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 29 June 2023, 18:05:53 »
The 9th (still a contemporary formation when Star League (FASA 1630) was was published) might enthusiastically give up the Girl Scout Cookie patch.  ;)

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2023, 18:18:45 »
BTW, off-topic, but found while getting a cookie pic. Probably a useful guide.

Generalstoner

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 29 June 2023, 21:45:39 »
I might pull my SLDF book this weekend and try to catalog a list of the legacy divisions.

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 29 June 2023, 22:53:14 »
There are five American divisions: 1st Cav/1st Royal Mech, 82d Airborne/82d Royal Jump, 1st Infantry, 9th Infantry/9th Mech, and 101st Airborne/101st Jump (and all except the Big Red One are Exodus units because the 1st didn't survive the coup Periphery uprisings).

Smaller units have no mention, so Renegade Legion is obviously not in the the same universe, otherwise the Boy Scout patch would be noted.
« Last Edit: 29 June 2023, 23:07:02 by paladin2019 »

Generalstoner

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2023, 19:30:55 »
Legacy Star League Formations

105th mech inf- the Cameron highlanders
166th mech inf- the red Diamond division
101st Royal jump inf- the screaming eagles
175th Royal mech inf- the desert rats
4th Royal inf- the Gurkha rifles
245th battlemech- The Marne division
185th mech inf- The Swiss guard
127th mech inf- Hell on Wheels
181st Royal mech inf- King’s own scot rifles
1st Royal mech inf- the first team
82nd Royal jump inf- the all-Americans
1st inf division- the big red one
110th mech inf- the Royal Irish fusiliers

Broken_Metal_Dreaming

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 02 July 2023, 19:44:19 »
Just read up on the Cameron's Highlanders yesterday. FM: SLDF, explains the circumstances surrounding their nickname. As best as I can tell, they don't trace their lineage directly to the UK Regiment The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, or the current Queen's Own Highlanders regiment that was formed from them and another unit, but they are given the unit nickname and because of the circumstances I would imagine they did some research and implemented the old traditions as well. At least such is my understanding.

Generalstoner

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 02 July 2023, 22:01:09 »
I just pulled names that existed in our world today.  For what it’s worth there were also 2 Hell on Wheels nicknames too.

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 02 July 2023, 22:40:16 »
Red Diamond (5th ID), Marne (3d ID?), and Hell on Wheels (2d AD) are a bit misnumbered (and potentially misclassed) if they're legacies.  ;)

(And the 101st isn't a royal division.)

Generalstoner

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2023, 23:06:03 »
Very misnumbered.  Just picking up on names.

Register