Author Topic: I am Iron Man  (Read 23884 times)

Kujo

• Sergeant
Re: I am Iron Man
« Reply #150 on: 10 October 2023, 21:12:27 »
You would need every McKenna produced, laid down, or dreamed about by the SDLF admiralty to even contain Tony's ID! (and all the Texas class as well) let alone the whole EGO and that's after stripping them of the compact core, the capital and anti-aerospace weaponry as well as all the armor and downloading Tony's ego (why won't it get past 9%.... :grin:)!
For the FEDCOM For the Archon-Prince

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #151 on: 10 October 2023, 21:30:37 »
So a couple of Enterprise class warships?

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Enterprise_(WarShip_class)

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #152 on: 10 October 2023, 22:19:04 »
You would need every McKenna produced, laid down, or dreamed about by the SDLF admiralty to even contain Tony's ID! (and all the Texas class as well) let alone the whole EGO and that's after stripping them of the compact core, the capital and anti-aerospace weaponry as well as all the armor and downloading Tony's ego (why won't it get past 9%.... :grin:)!
Also ever space station ever produced, including O'Neil Station

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #153 on: 16 October 2023, 23:00:58 »
Here follows the next update, wherein Comstar gets rode hard and put away wet.

The Battle of New Avalon, Part 2
March 2nd, 3029
New Avalon Institute of Science and elsewhere

The engagement at NAIS between Tony Stark's forces and those of the Liao attackers  begins with a volley of long-range missile fire (consisting of a mix of AP and HEDP) from the Hulkbuster assault drones. Due to the superiority of Stark's fire control systems, 100% of the missiles find their targets; all told, 18 Liao battlemechs are destroyed due to multiple critical hits. Six more mechs are also heavily damaged. Thereafter, the Hulkbusters begin to fire their heavy repulsors and torso-mounted Uni-beams.

When it comes to physical combat, the Hulkbusters are horrifyingly-effective. In one case, a Hulkbuster closes with a Liao Cataphract and uses it immense physical strength to rip off one of the enemy machine's arms and crush the cockpit by using the arm as an improvised club. Other Liao heavies are eliminated when pairs of Hulkbusters come upon them and pull both of their arms off; lastly, three other Liao heavies are put out of action by a punch to the cockpit.

Elsewhere on the NAIS campus, Stark's War Machine drones make their presence known by flying between the enemy battlemechs and directly hitting such targets as gyros, hip actuators and hip actuators with their repulsor beams, Most fearsome of all is the sight of Tony Stark, clad in gleaming crimson and gold armor and streaking over the battlefield like an evil phantom bent on some malign purpose. As 'Shoot to Thrill' ends, it is followed by 'Thunderstruck' (also by AC/DC) and then 'I Wanna Rock' by the ancient Terran rock group Twisted Sister.

In very short order, the Liao attackers quickly find their numbers whittled down due to joint actions by Tony Stark, the Iron Brigade and the Hong Kong Cavaliers. The few survivors of the action decide to exercise the better part  of valor  and evacuate back to theirt landing zones; there to be picked up by the dropships that delivered them. Unfortunately for them, their efforts are wasted as JARVIS reached out from the SI mainframe in Stark Tower and hacked into their control systems; despite the best efforts of their flight crews, their ships are comepletly disabled.

Elsewhere outside the walls of Avalon City, the action is more hotly contested as the numbers are only slightly in favor of the city's defenders; the Prince's Own are heavily engaged, as are two battalions from the Crucis March Militia.

Action-Reaction
March 5th, 3029
The Fox' Den, Mount Davion

Three days after the Battle of New Avalon, First Prince Hanse Davion calls the principals to his office in the Fox' Den in order to receive an after-action report. The first to speak is Dr. Banzai, who says "your highness, if I hadn't witnessed the action with my own eyes, I never would have believed it. There we were on the wrong side of 3-1 odds, when Stark and his drones come charging in like an avatar of Mars, the God of War. In less time that it takes to describe the action, his company of assault drones smashed an entire LIao battalion like an angry child breaking his toys; these same machines then closed with other Liao mechs and literally pulled their arms off and used them as clubs to bash in their cockpits. As for Stark himself and his War Machine drones, they descended upon the battlefield like the hand of the Destroying Angel; if any of them were hit by enemy fire, it was a lucky shot from that enemy mech pilot."

"Indeed. Marshal Davion, I'll have your thoughts on this."

"Yes, your highness. If the truth be told, there was something rather chilling seeing the way that Mr. Stark  went through the Liao like an assembly line running in reverse."

The First Prince considers what he just heard, then says "what do youi have to say to that, Tony?"

'A chuckle, then "H, I really, really don't like it when someone tries to rain on my parade and  take my stuff. During the late action at NAIS, Dr. Banzai and I gave the attackers a proper New England-style curbstomping; however, it's not enough. There's still a lesson or three that Comstar and their fawning pack of Liao toadies have to learn..."

Upon hearing this, Hanse Davion replies "just what do you have in mind, Tony?"

"H, the only way those blathering idiots could have pulled off an operation as complex as this one is with Comstar's backing. For this and other reasons, I'm going to teach them to respect their betters." A pause, then "after the last of the Liao were down for the count, I had JARVIS go tapdancing through what Comstar laughingly calls their security protocols; now, I'm ready to lay down the law. JARVIS, begin Act One if you please."

Over the nexy half-hour or so, a series of transmissions goes out from New Avalon's HPG station; these are directed towards Terra and Sian (capitol of the Capellan Confederation) and consist of a number of ancient Terran rock tunes intended to convey the idea that something is terribly wrong. The first of these is a rendition of 'Ghost Riders in the Sky' by the group called 'Spider Bait'; following this is 'Big Balls' and 'Highway to Hell' (both by AC/DC. Lastly, there is 'One Vision' by Queen.

When the last song goes through, JARVIS breaks in on the comms channel and says "You're on, Mr. Stark; going live in 3...2...1...Mark !."

"Thank you, JARVIS." Stark pauses to clear his throat, then announces "the previous program of musical disenchantment was brought to you by the Stark Broadcasting Company. Rommie, you're nothing more than a jumped-up Fu Manchu wanna-be with pretentions of greatness. As far as our nocturnal rendezvous is concerned, you might think that your alleged skills in the arts of the bedchamber are something to brag about; they aren't, You aren't the worst lay I've ever had, but you certainly aren't the best either. Now, to the business at hand. I wasn't so much offended by your attempted hit onme as I was by the amateurish way that it was carried out. The Crapellan Confederation doesn't have the moxie to pull off an operation like this without help; this is where Comstar comes into the picture."

A derisive snort follows then "Tiepolo, I haven't forgotten about you and your fawning pack of self-righteous, toga-wearing, self-centered arrant ******; it's about time that someone slapped you down hard. To you and Rommie, I might come across as nothing more than a billionaire genius playboy. To this I'd add the fact that I'm a fiscal conservative who lives in a gated community and sleeps on a giant pile of money; I'm the original raider and I invented the hostile takeover; in short, I take your treasure and I drink your milkshakes....SLURRRPPPP." A pause, then Stark pronounces "as I will, so mote it be..." With this, the transmission ends. Quintus Allard looks at Stark and opines "Tony, I'd be prepared to swear on the Unfinished Book that you've got something up your armored sleeve."

"Several somethings, actually. I have seized control of the HPG systems in the Draconis Combine and the Free Worlds League and handed it over to their respective houses; all that now remains of Comstar is that pissant network they've got insaide the Capellan Confederation. Next, JARVIS hacked into the control systems of every Star League-era battlemech that Comstar has stashed on Terra; a full fifty regiments worth. As of now, all 5,400 of them are non-functional. If Comstar's techs try to reboot them or otherwise bypass what I did, their reactors will undergo simultaneous core breaches; every...single...one. But wait, there's more."

Hanse Davion leans forward with both hands on his desk and says "define more..."

A slight grin crosses Tony's face, of the type that would indicate self-satisfaction after the crushing of some bothersome insect under one's boot heel.

"H, I already told you about the Star League-era warships that Comstar has stashed in the Ross 248 and Luyten 68-28 systems. To refresh, there are 32 vessels in all. What the toaster-worshippers forgot was that in the days of the Star League, everyone of their warships had anti-hijacking protocols hardwired into their control systems. I had JARVIS hack into the control systems of these warships and activate the non-lethal AH protocols."

"What are those?"

"Each ship had a small caretaker crew; they were gassed unconcious and removed by the ship's service drones; don't worry, they weren't killed. If I had been so inclined, I would have had them all spaced. As of right now, all 32 ships are headed to New Avalon under JARVIS' control. When they get to the system's main jump point, they'll take up station and await further orders." 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #154 on: 17 October 2023, 03:34:33 »
Always the overachiever! ::)

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #155 on: 17 October 2023, 08:20:27 »
Always the overachiever! ::)
That's perfectly in keeping with Stark's character, as anything worth doing is worth overdoing....
« Last Edit: 17 October 2023, 13:02:03 by Dreadpool »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #156 on: 17 October 2023, 17:35:03 »
Love it! :D

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #157 on: 17 October 2023, 21:29:25 »
Love it! :D
You're quite welcome; I just couldn't resist throwing a couple more AC/DC tunes out there...

After Tony Stark's latest escapades, people are going to start thinking that he can do stuff like walking on water or ordering the tide to go out
« Last Edit: 17 October 2023, 21:31:23 by Dreadpool »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #158 on: 17 October 2023, 21:38:09 »
Should use the Imperial March...

And Soul Stripper.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #159 on: 17 October 2023, 22:53:22 »
Should use the Imperial March...

And Soul Stripper.

TT
It will be done in future updates.

ITTL, the Fourth Succession War will be MUCH shorter than it was.

Later on when the Clans come a-callin', they're going ot feel like they shoved their wedding tackle into a meat grinder set on War Emergency Power...

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #160 on: 19 October 2023, 19:37:24 »
Hope JARVIS also had a nice walk in the Terran databases, so all sorts of leftover tech in the Comstar databases is sent to New Avalon, for both the First Prince and Tony to make use of.

Still, I wonder if the First Prince is starting to realize how little control he really has over Tony.

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #161 on: 19 October 2023, 20:09:26 »
Hope JARVIS also had a nice walk in the Terran databases, so all sorts of leftover tech in the Comstar databases is sent to New Avalon, for both the First Prince and Tony to make use of.
You can assume that this was done

Still, I wonder if the First Prince is starting to realize how little control he really has over Tony.
I imagine that Quintus Allard will be having a conversation with Hanse Davion about that very thing.

They've got a legitimate concern, for what happens if the FedSuns finds itself at cross-purposes with Stark?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #162 on: 20 October 2023, 00:55:06 »
Should have Dr. Strange show up... Like lin a reflection / out of body image...

Also, what happens if Ultron created a backdoor and started to help Word of Blake ROM?

Or maybe some of the Marvelverse, like Vision could show up.

TT
« Last Edit: 20 October 2023, 01:08:44 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #163 on: 20 October 2023, 03:34:35 »
Should have Dr. Strange show up... Like lin a reflection / out of body image...

Also, what happens if Ultron created a backdoor and started to help Word of Blake ROM?

Or maybe some of the Marvelverse, like Vision could show up.

TT
The MCU and the BTVerse are entirely separate; the only thing from film canon is Captain America's shield (a duplicate of the original)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #164 on: 20 October 2023, 03:49:21 »
Which version of Shield?

Cap's OG, lost to sea.
Cap's replacement, Wakanda's gift.
Cap's steel U.S. Agent shield.
Cap's Variable S.H.I.E.L.D. shield, Stark Enterprise plasma.

Or the his third Vibranium Shield?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #165 on: 20 October 2023, 04:29:23 »
Which version of Shield?

Cap's OG, lost to sea.
Cap's replacement, Wakanda's gift.
Cap's steel U.S. Agent shield.
Cap's Variable S.H.I.E.L.D. shield, Stark Enterprise plasma.

Or the his third Vibranium Shield?

TT
A copy of the OG, made from an admantium/vibranium alloy; just as in the comics

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #166 on: 20 October 2023, 13:18:55 »
So Wakanda's gift...

Cool...

*popcorn eating emoji as their broken now

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #167 on: 22 October 2023, 20:18:55 »
So Wakanda's gift...

Cool...

*popcorn eating emoji as their broken now

TT
Negative on that Ghost Rider.

I am referring to the original shield from the comics, not the 'Vibranium only' shield of the movies.

The comic shield is canonically stated to have two layers of admantium/vibraniumj alloy; one in the percentages of 75/25 and the other 60/40; this is from the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe

Kujo

• Sergeant
« Reply #168 on: 22 October 2023, 21:52:16 »
You can assume that this was done
I imagine that Quintus Allard will be having a conversation with Hanse Davion about that very thing.

They've got a legitimate concern, for what happens if the FedSuns finds itself at cross-purposes with Stark?

I think Hanse Davion is smart enough to know that Tony is a cannon that can't be secured, he's also smart enough to realize that it is better to give that 'cannon' it's space and direct it toward things that will at least hurt his foes more then him (if Tony's wild hair up fourth point of contact just can't be accommodated)

Say Tony wants to remove all weapons of mass destruction and that the Federated Suns should lead the way...  Hanse would nod and walk through the most destructive of wars, how the honors of war and Aries Convention managed to mitigate it 'when' the houses saw it to their benefit.  Sure Tony could 'try' to have the Suns go first and sure Tony could 'try' to protect the Suns but what is Tony going to when a MASK or ISF fanatic detonates a 'suit case' size bit of canned sunshine?  Is Tony going to allow his ego to absorb a 10,000 dead loss? 100,000? million? So sure in principle the WMD arsenals need to be truncated to the point of being ready for an 'alien' invasion and research being direct in defense and efficiency over yield and death.  Since the Suns weren't 'first using' them in most cases Hanse could point out that if the other house were to be 'persuaded' by Tony then of course Hanse would be 'persuaded' as well!

Say Tony is feeling very democratic and thinks House Davion should go the way of House Windsor.  Hanse would explain New Avalon's experiment in 'direct democracy' and it's 'issues' he would also point out that a representive republic say like Tony's old USA would require a much better communication network then say oh C* and that being a figure head House maybe acceptable to the old ruling house of Britain but Davions had ran before and won, Davions will run again and win!  So if Tony could make little d democracy work well Hanse and other members of his house would of course do their civic duty and place themselves for judgement of the Suns populace to rule.  He could also point out that no other house to include the Free Worlds League has it's ruling dynasty so devoted to protecting civil liberties (six liberties) then House Davion.  So Tony has to research a whole new and better com with Hanse and his house being able to take credit 'sponsoring' it as well as the return to a 'united Hindu Republic' version of democracy all the while using House Davion's soft power to ensure it maybe even gains more power as 'presidents' again then princes.  If Tony is insistent then Hanse uses that brand new com system to broadcast his thanks to Tony and to point out that 80%+ of Suns would be happy with House Davion either as First Princes or Presidents and perhaps if he is unhappy with that he can 'help' the FWL or topple a freedom and liberty loving House/populace since both are not perfect, oh by the way how did your experiment with AI, say Ultron work out...

Hanse, Morgan Hasek-Davion and particularly Melissa are way too smart to not to divert a flood like Stark if it's coming for them directly or their peoples.  Tony could try to charm Melissa, but Tony is NOT her type.  Mel can handle ego, she could handle delusions of demi-godhood, but there is no way that Melissa Steiner (likely Davion) could put up with all his idiosyncrasies and his wondering eyes.  Yes House Davion has on occasion 'strayed' but outside of Pepper Potts no one could 'semi-tame' Tony.  Also Tony is not subtle with his plans and has all the 'stealth' politically of a 'hulk buster ultra mech' set on maximum RAMPAGE!!!!!!!  Basically if they (House Davion/Fed Suns vs Tony) fight Hanse and his team will direct Tony on to a 'productive' compromise (one that benefits the Suns/Suns and sphere as a whole with the Suns getting a bit more out of it).  Failing that direct him to another much more repressive house, failing that put a mirror up to Tony and ensure he knows the costs of what he is doing and how HE almost destroyed his world in his certainty HE was right as well how much higher those losses will be if he messes up this time!!!!!!!!

Basically if they are at cross purposes Hanse should be able to suggest a minor highly responsible fix, adjustment or add-on that wouldn't 'completely' allow Hanse to live up to his 'Magnificent Bastard' trope (more like Masterfully live up to it) that puts Tony on the Path to making the Suns stronger, their foes weaker or in a 'neutral' vein the whole sphere better (which Hanse would just make sure he and his allies get the most benefit 'legitimately' of course).  Tony is a genius, focused (some would say overly) and determined man (say would say obsessively), Hanse is a warrior but he is also a masterful polication if Tony wishes to 'pleasure himself' but removing tyrannical and/or corrupt elements in sphere or that are harming House Davion (and to a lesser extant to House Steiner), Hanse will ensure his path is lubricated and free of any obstructions to Stark's self-satisfaction all the while point him to the next area where he might find his next 'hit' of gratification.  If to paraphrase Stark that "the defense of the six liberties has been 'privatized'" Hanse would nod shrug, provide Tony with the next MIIO/DMI packet while training the AFFS with Stark's 'hand-me-downs'.  Hanse being the leader will ensure his troops are happy (including Stark) and will know/find ways to ensure no non-controlled cannon isn't at least influenced and kept generally pointed at HANSE'S/House Davion/House Steiner-Davion's targets.

Sorry this went a bit 'long', but enjoying the story, thank you!
For the FEDCOM For the Archon-Prince

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #169 on: 22 October 2023, 22:21:42 »
I think Hanse Davion is smart enough to know that Tony is a cannon that can't be secured, he's also smart enough to realize that it is better to give that 'cannon' it's space and direct it toward things that will at least hurt his foes more then him (if Tony's wild hair up fourth point of contact just can't be accommodated)

Say Tony wants to remove all weapons of mass destruction and that the Federated Suns should lead the way...  Hanse would nod and walk through the most destructive of wars, how the honors of war and Aries Convention managed to mitigate it 'when' the houses saw it to their benefit.  Sure Tony could 'try' to have the Suns go first and sure Tony could 'try' to protect the Suns but what is Tony going to when a MASK or ISF fanatic detonates a 'suit case' size bit of canned sunshine?  Is Tony going to allow his ego to absorb a 10,000 dead loss? 100,000? million? So sure in principle the WMD arsenals need to be truncated to the point of being ready for an 'alien' invasion and research being direct in defense and efficiency over yield and death.  Since the Suns weren't 'first using' them in most cases Hanse could point out that if the other house were to be 'persuaded' by Tony then of course Hanse would be 'persuaded' as well!

Say Tony is feeling very democratic and thinks House Davion should go the way of House Windsor.  Hanse would explain New Avalon's experiment in 'direct democracy' and it's 'issues' he would also point out that a representive republic say like Tony's old USA would require a much better communication network then say oh C* and that being a figure head House maybe acceptable to the old ruling house of Britain but Davions had ran before and won, Davions will run again and win!  So if Tony could make little d democracy work well Hanse and other members of his house would of course do their civic duty and place themselves for judgement of the Suns populace to rule.  He could also point out that no other house to include the Free Worlds League has it's ruling dynasty so devoted to protecting civil liberties (six liberties) then House Davion.  So Tony has to research a whole new and better com with Hanse and his house being able to take credit 'sponsoring' it as well as the return to a 'united Hindu Republic' version of democracy all the while using House Davion's soft power to ensure it maybe even gains more power as 'presidents' again then princes.  If Tony is insistent then Hanse uses that brand new com system to broadcast his thanks to Tony and to point out that 80%+ of Suns would be happy with House Davion either as First Princes or Presidents and perhaps if he is unhappy with that he can 'help' the FWL or topple a freedom and liberty loving House/populace since both are not perfect, oh by the way how did your experiment with AI, say Ultron work out...

Hanse, Morgan Hasek-Davion and particularly Melissa are way too smart to not to divert a flood like Stark if it's coming for them directly or their peoples.  Tony could try to charm Melissa, but Tony is NOT her type.  Mel can handle ego, she could handle delusions of demi-godhood, but there is no way that Melissa Steiner (likely Davion) could put up with all his idiosyncrasies and his wondering eyes.  Yes House Davion has on occasion 'strayed' but outside of Pepper Potts no one could 'semi-tame' Tony.  Also Tony is not subtle with his plans and has all the 'stealth' politically of a 'hulk buster ultra mech' set on maximum RAMPAGE!!!!!!!  Basically if they (House Davion/Fed Suns vs Tony) fight Hanse and his team will direct Tony on to a 'productive' compromise (one that benefits the Suns/Suns and sphere as a whole with the Suns getting a bit more out of it).  Failing that direct him to another much more repressive house, failing that put a mirror up to Tony and ensure he knows the costs of what he is doing and how HE almost destroyed his world in his certainty HE was right as well how much higher those losses will be if he messes up this time!!!!!!!!

Basically if they are at cross purposes Hanse should be able to suggest a minor highly responsible fix, adjustment or add-on that wouldn't 'completely' allow Hanse to live up to his 'Magnificent Bastard' trope (more like Masterfully live up to it) that puts Tony on the Path to making the Suns stronger, their foes weaker or in a 'neutral' vein the whole sphere better (which Hanse would just make sure he and his allies get the most benefit 'legitimately' of course).  Tony is a genius, focused (some would say overly) and determined man (say would say obsessively), Hanse is a warrior but he is also a masterful polication if Tony wishes to 'pleasure himself' but removing tyrannical and/or corrupt elements in sphere or that are harming House Davion (and to a lesser extant to House Steiner), Hanse will ensure his path is lubricated and free of any obstructions to Stark's self-satisfaction all the while point him to the next area where he might find his next 'hit' of gratification.  If to paraphrase Stark that "the defense of the six liberties has been 'privatized'" Hanse would nod shrug, provide Tony with the next MIIO/DMI packet while training the AFFS with Stark's 'hand-me-downs'.  Hanse being the leader will ensure his troops are happy (including Stark) and will know/find ways to ensure no non-controlled cannon isn't at least influenced and kept generally pointed at HANSE'S/House Davion/House Steiner-Davion's targets.

Sorry this went a bit 'long', but enjoying the story, thank you!
Your comments and kind words are gratefully received.

If this version of Stark were that of IM or IM2, I'd definitely agree with you about his wandering eye; I view that thing with Romano Liao as an engagement in a battle of wits (which Tony won decisively, of course). IMHO, he's still carrying a torch for Pepper and his daughter Morgan

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #170 on: 23 October 2023, 07:05:05 »
As for the WMD thing, I think Tony would be pragmatic enough to achieve his goal by way of a "use them once and I will end you forever" kind of doctrine. It would probably not be difficult for him to establish a kind of second strike capability that can survive any conceivable attempt to take him out.

Except, of course, unlike MAD doctrine, Tony would not wipe out a nation. He would wipe out governments and noble houses - the decision makers, not the poor sods who had to pick between pushing the button and getting a bullet between the eyes.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #171 on: 23 October 2023, 18:48:57 »
is odessa and the final five still in play?  the shipyard would be very helpful. 

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #172 on: 13 December 2023, 18:36:33 »
is odessa and the final five still in play?  the shipyard would be very helpful.
They are now under new management; Stark Interstellar (SI), to be precise....

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #173 on: 13 December 2023, 21:27:20 »
Talk about a "win condition"! :D

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #174 on: 13 December 2023, 22:01:23 »
Talk about a "win condition"! :D
Precisely.

Now imagine WarShips built with StarkTech.....

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #175 on: 14 December 2023, 08:51:39 »
I have...

And not scary enough...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #176 on: 14 December 2023, 12:01:04 »
I have...

And not scary enough...

TT
Would WarShips with ultra-compact drive cores and tank-level armor do (not that bullshit tinfoil stuff they've got)?

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #177 on: 16 December 2023, 22:33:59 »
Would WarShips with ultra-compact drive cores and tank-level armor do (not that bullshit tinfoil stuff they've got)?

With advanced computers that can easily plot pirate point to pirate point jumps in a matter of seconds?

Plus integrated Targeting Computers so all the direct-fire weapons get a 1-pt bonus to hit.

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #178 on: 21 January 2024, 17:44:51 »
At last, ye next update followeth, wherein Davion & Company get the goods, and Kurita & Marik react to these developements:

Getting the goods
The Fox’ Den, New Avalon
April 7th, 3029

At the station monitoring New Avalon’s Zenith jump point, it’s been another day of business as usual. Suddenly, the datascreens flash a warning to the technicians on duty that dozens of jump signatures have been detected. No sooner has the warning bene passed to the Fox’ Den than dozens of ex-Comstar warships appear at various locations all throughout that area of space. In total, there are 27 warships of varying classes; foremost among these is the SLS Lady Shandra, a Cameron-class battlecruiser. Following this vessel are the three ships of the Comstar-constructed Dante-class frigates (the Montpelier, the Narbonne and the Bordeaux). Next are five Lola III-class destroyers, four Essex-class destroyers, three Aegis-class heavy cruisers, a Black Lion-class battlecruiser, a Sovietskii Soyuz-class heavy cruiser, a Potemkin-class troop cruiser, a Volga-class transport, two Congress-class frigates and a Vincent-class corvette. Lastly (and most importantly), there are four Faslane-class yardships.

Once the 27 ships have finished materializing, JARVIS’ clear and measured voice comes over the station’s comm system and announces “I present the Federated Commonwealth these warships, with the compliments of Mr. Stark.” At the same time, Tony Stark is meeting with First Prince Hanse Davion and his top advisers. As the message from Traffic Control plays over the Den’s comm system, a self-satisfied grin crossed Stark’s face.”

“Well, H. What do you think of my little surprise?”

Among those present is Field Marshal Yvonne Davion, who responds “your highness, this is an unprecedented development, to say the least. To think that, after more than 250 years, there are once again warships in the Inner Sphere. The mind fairly boggles at the possibilities…”

“Indeed it does, Yvonne. I’ll venture to guess that, when Captain-General Janos Marik and Coordinator Takashi Kurita find out what happened, they’ll be having some rather-serious conniption fits. What do you say to this, Stark?”

“H, someone more hawkish than I would say that it’s time to tell the other Great Houses who’s who and what’s what; I disagree. When I was tap-dancing through Comstar’s files, I discovered the presence of other warships throughout their territories, as well as within that of the Federated Commonwealth; it’s only a matter of time before they are discovered. Unless you want to end up blind after another round of an ‘Eye for an Eye’ one-upmanship, I suggest that you reach out to Janos Marik and Takashi Kurita and make nice with them.”

“I’ll that under advisement, Mr. Stark. In the meantime, you have my deepest and most profound thanks for what you have done for the Federated Commonwealth; you’ll find me suitably grateful. You mentioned other warships out there; can you give me any specific examples?”

“Let me tell you a little story about Antares Base; it’s a former Star League-era depot on the third planet of the Antares system (near the Morges and Babaeski systems in the Lyran Commonwealth) established as a replenishment and supply base by the SLDF. In the chaos and disorder of the Succession Wars, knowledge of the base was lost and so it remained, until now.”

“It sounds like quite a considerable installation. Do you have any information about what’s there?”

“Yes I do, actually. There are five warships; SLS William Halsey, a Newgrange-class yardship, a Mercy-class hospital ship and two Bugeye-class surveillance ships (SLS Donovan and SLS Casey), something like 2,000 battlemechs of various sizes, plus thousands of vehicles, tanks, artillery pieces and battlesuits. Rounding out the cache are several million tons of munitions, supplies, equipment and spare parts. I’m pretty sure that Archon Katrina will be pleased to hear of it.”

“She most certainly will, Stark.” A momentary pause, then “ladies and gentlemen, as regards the battlemechs that Comstar stockpiled on Terra, I am minded that they’ll be divided equally among the two halves of the Federated Commonwealth. Mr. Stark, I’ll be obliged if you were to have the locks you placed on their control systems removed…”

“Alright, JARVIS; you heard the man.”

“Right away, sir.”

Correlation of Forces
April 17th, 3029

Elsewhere on the capitol worlds of the Free Worlds League and the Draconis Combine, there is no small amount of consternation when word reaches them about the developments in the Federated Commonwealth. First to receive the news is Coordinator Takashi Kurita, who immediately convenes a meeting of the DCMS High Command, as well as Subhash Indrahar (Director of the ISF) and representatives from the Department of External Relations.

The meeting is called to order and Kurita begins with “Servants of the Dragon, I must inform you that, through diligent work by Indrahar-san and the ISF, word has reached us that the Federated Commonwealth is now in possession of some 27 warships of various classes”; which announcement causes no small amount of consternation to run around the table.

First to respond is Gunji no-Kanrei Theodore Kurita, who says “most redoubted father, I doubt not the valor of the Soldiers of the Dragon. However, given the presence of warships in the Federated Commonwealth (and the 50 regiments of battlemechs which they took from Comstar) , the correlation of forces which now faces us is adverse in the extreme.”

“Well-spoken, my worthy son. What is your counsel in this matter?”

“Father, if the Federated Commonwealth were to come against us, I and the men & women of the DCMS would do our utmost to defend the realm. However, I don’t judge this to be a likely development.”

“How say you?”

“Kurita-sama, the primary reason for the Federated Commonwealth’s extraordinary success can be attributed to the First Prince’s adviser Tony Stark. Rather than being a typical gaijin, he behaved most honorably towards the Combine when he laid Comstar low and returned control of our portion of the HPG network to us. If Stark-san were hostile to us, he would not have done so. Perhaps an overture might be made to Hanse Davion; the better to maintain peace between the Commonwealth and us…”

“An excellent thought, my son. Indrahar-san., what say you?”

“Kurita-sama, centuries ago on Ancient Terra, the great Musashi once said in part ‘Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is.’; so too is our present situation. I am in agreement with Kurita-san’s idea to send a diplomatic mission to New Avalon; thus far, the Federated Commonwealth has only undertaken hostile action only against the Capellan Confederation (with justification, I might add). If the Combine secures peaceful relations with the Commonwealth, then we would be free to undertake the development of warships of our own design with neither let or hindrance. Of course, maintaining the Combine’s territorial integrity would be an important consideration…”

A minute or two of silent consideration by the Coordinator follows, then he speaks up “servants of the Dragon, I believe that the Gunji no-kanrei’s suggestion is the proper course of action. Therefore, it is my order that a diplomatic mission be sent to New Avalon at the earliest possible opportunity; Minister Kamikawa, your ministry will make the appropriate preparations.”

“Hai, Kurita-sama.”

April 19th, 3029

Two days later on Atreus, a very similar meeting takes place takes place in the Captain-General’s office. Aside from Janos Marik, those present include Jaime Cornejo (Director of SAFE), Erin McQuarrie (Minister of Defense), Harrison Kalma (Director of Military Intelligence) and Secretary of State John Forsyth. Never one to waste words, the Captain-General claps his hand loudly on his desk and says “alright; tell me what just happened in the Federated Commonwealth.”

Jamie Cornejo responds “Captain-General, all of us were pleased to hear it Tony Stark engineered the downfall of Comstar and returned control of the HPG network within the League to us. However, when news came out that the Federated Commonwealth now has control of all the battlemechs that Comstar had stashed on Terra (along with all of the warships that the Order has concealed at Ross 248 and Luyten 68-28), the question that immediately occurred to us is what does Hanse Davion want to do now? In terms of raw numbers, adding the regiments of battlemechs seized on Terra would increase the front-line strength of the Federated Suns by a full 50%; to say nothing of the warships, which no other state in the Inner Sphere or the Periphery has.”

“Director, do you think that the Federated Commonwealth means to attack us? With their vastly-increased strength, there wouldn’t be much that we could do to oppose them…”

”No, Captain-General. The assessment of SAFE is that Hanse Davion will be content to digest those portions of the Capellan Confederation that he’s gobbled up so far. Additionally, our confidence is high that those 50 regiments of former Comstar battlemechs will be divided equally between the two halves of the Federated Commonwealth; this is also the case with the warships.”

“So, there is no threat to us now or in the immediate future.”

“You are correct, sir; however, I can say nothing about what might happen when the throne of the Federated Commonwealth passes to someone else.”

“A cogent observation, Director. Esteemed members of the council, it is my judgement that we should send a diplomatic mission to New Avalon to further sound out the position of the Commonwealth. Additionally, we should take advantage of the peace between the League and the Commonwealth to begin a program to develop our own warships; unless I am much mistaken, the Draconis Combine is doing the very same thing.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #179 on: 21 January 2024, 18:04:28 »
Glad to see it back!  I suspect the League will eventually make peace, and the Combine will eventually trip someone's trigger... ;)
« Last Edit: 21 January 2024, 18:37:44 by Daryk »

Register