Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems  (Read 12729 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Reply #30 on: 19 July 2023, 02:35:35 »
If a tension breaker is needed, here's Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe wearing each other's jersey...
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #31 on: 22 July 2023, 23:02:46 »
At some point there will be a Stadium Series game between the Caps and the Preds and I'm 100% going to be there just boo Martin Erat during the alumni game.

That seems unnecessarily mean.

Poor guy, just trying to sell beer and snacks to the crowd and he's getting booed like that. Very unprofessional of you, I expect better.  :tongue:
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #32 on: 23 July 2023, 17:29:48 »
thought this was interesting...
« Last Edit: 23 July 2023, 17:32:54 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #33 on: 24 July 2023, 18:30:40 »
I'm not certain where the numbers are sourced from and would be curious to know.  I manually and added all the numbers together for the Red Wings first, the the Blues, and finally the Avs.

Detroit was on point if one is counting to the 99-2000 season.  The other two were slightly off (Av's by 1 game and St. Louis my double digits). In spite of the math being off somewhere I'd say that the NHL's goal of parity has been successful.

Also apparent is how awful Chicago was for many years and even LA that each have multiple cups between them and they aren't anywhere near the top of the list.  Good drafting and cap management can eventually win a Stanley Cup or at least a year in and year out 40 win season.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #34 on: 24 July 2023, 23:18:28 »
Yes, I was looking at the lower tier and noticed some odd discrepancies.  Not my best find.

So I'll make up for it with this piece of heretical hockey hokum, lol...

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 25 July 2023, 12:27:01 »
wow Patrice Bergeron retires.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #36 on: 25 July 2023, 14:28:10 »
I think it's officially the end of an era in Boston.  Patrice Bergeron is one of the all-time great defensive forwards as defined by the criteria for the Selke Trophy, with a "high standard of offense". 

Respect those who have earned it, regardless of what jersey they wear.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2023, 15:21:39 by rebs »

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #37 on: 25 July 2023, 21:38:14 »
When the news broke, someone on Reddit immediately asked if hockey fans at-large thought Bergeron belonged in the Hall. I know I'm a bit biased, but holy shit people, how many Selke trophies does someone have to win to get a nomination?

So obviously it's a sad day for Boston fans, and it's a hole that no one is going to really fill the way he did-  that kind of award display case doesn't come along often. But that's for next year's Bruins to deal with- for now, I'm just grateful to have had nearly two decades to enjoy watching this guy. Time comes for us all- this was always coming, one day. It just happened to be now.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #38 on: 28 July 2023, 13:47:40 »
There really wasn't another choice.  The new B's cappie is none other than Brad Marchand.

It was inevitable.

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 28 July 2023, 17:18:56 »
Matt Murray going on LTIR is certainly a convenient turn of events for the Leafs and their salary cap issues.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #40 on: 29 July 2023, 02:23:31 »
Something is rotten in Toronto - and we're not talking about Bettman or the officiating (Not right now, anyway...).

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #41 on: 29 July 2023, 11:45:40 »
Is it shady? Hell yes.

Is it legal? Yes. Because the league looked at these antics a few years ago with Tampa's stashing of Kucherov, shrugged, and said 'no problem'. So now we have teams doing it as a standard course- Toronto is just the latest. Tampa, Vegas, and Boston all have pulled similar shenanigans, even Philly (though being as bad as they've been, no one cared).

I wish it was a loophole that got closed off, but the league is, for whatever reason, happy to let teams pull this- so, expect Toronto to not only get any flak for it, but expect them to keep doing it if they can while they try to get that cap mess under control again.

+Crow T. Robot+

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 29 July 2023, 15:32:35 »
Yep - a totally legal loophole.

Crazy that the Leafs make some clearly overpaid contracts that don't help the team (Reaves ... Klingberg ... even Domi for that matter) and then pull off something so perfectly Machiavellian like this. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #43 on: 30 July 2023, 15:54:42 »
It's a loophole for sure.  And it does help teams that are up tight against the cap. 

But it probably should be closed one day, and GM's should make up for the closure by being more responsible with handing out contracts.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 31 July 2023, 00:10:03 »
Congratulation to Matt Murry on his promotion to 'gate-keeper' of Robida's Island.  Orientation starts Wednesday with your person trainer and guide Jofreey Lupul.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #45 on: 07 August 2023, 02:21:05 »
Liut's mask gives me the notion that he kills opposing forwards and collects their hockey sticks. :smilie_character_pirate2:

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #46 on: 09 August 2023, 17:13:40 »
Toronto signed all the goalies!  hahahaha

And Dubbas was bound and determined to bring in Erik Karlsson, somewhere, one way or another.  It was already WIN NOW in the Pitt before Dubster arrived.  Acquisition of Karlsson forces the creation of an all-new level of WIN NOW.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #47 on: 10 August 2023, 09:49:56 »
The buzz about a MIN/PIT trade to bring Fleury back for one more run has been gaining some steam since the Karlsson trade as well. I... don't necessarily think they're a Cup team, either way, but one last 'band back together' run isn't the worst idea- after all, that's what last year was pegged as for Boston, and while it didn't work out in the end, it was a hell of a run on the way there.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #48 on: 11 August 2023, 02:14:10 »
First Fleury, now it's a whole bunch of talk about Jagr coming to Pitt for one last season, at age 51. 

If this happens, it's insane, and not in that positive way the younger crowds use that particular descriptor. 

Getting the Band Back Together is one thing, farewell tours tend to be hits.

This is like saying the drummer's uncle will be running around on stage too.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 15 August 2023, 18:53:22 »
First Fleury, now it's a whole bunch of talk about Jagr coming to Pitt for one last season, at age 51. 
I briefly saw this headline elsewhere.  I always assumed though it was for an official retirement and reconciliation.

I always assumed though keeping his own personal team in business to be the top priority.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #50 on: 16 August 2023, 02:01:45 »
I briefly saw this headline elsewhere.  I always assumed though it was for an official retirement and reconciliation.

I always assumed though keeping his own personal team in business to be the top priority.

I saw it for two or three days but now it's been a minute since I've heard a peep about it.

All three of the articles I read said 1 year contract at league minimum.  I also would have expected a standard 1 day contract to retire officially from the NHL as a Pen.  That's why it stood out to me.

Anyway, it may have been internet smoke.  It really doesn't matter - even if he signed for a year at minimum, he would still probably outclass a lot of other 4th line players in the league, even at age 51. 

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #51 on: 16 August 2023, 13:49:16 »
Anyway, it may have been internet smoke.  It really doesn't matter - even if he signed for a year at minimum, he would still probably outclass a lot of other 4th line players in the league, even at age 51.

They have to delay it until Gordie Howe's coffin is reinforced to prevent him from rising up to sign with another team and keep ahead of Jagr.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #52 on: 17 August 2023, 05:55:54 »
They have to delay it until Gordie Howe's coffin is reinforced to prevent him from rising up to sign with another team and keep ahead of Jagr.

With the crap going on in the world, I guess I would not be surprised to see Gordie Howe materialize on the ice complete with a fiery hockey stick, regardless.  So the reinforced coffin may be too little too late.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 18 August 2023, 14:52:09 »
The voice of the Buffalo Sabres Rick Jeanneret has passed away at 81 :(

https://sports.yahoo.com/legendary-sabres-broadcaster-rick-jeanneret-031621961.html

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #54 on: 18 August 2023, 15:03:10 »
RIP.  This news made it to the Red Wings newsfeed as well.

Hockey is a community as well as a sport.

The voice of the Buffalo Sabres Rick Jeanneret has passed away at 81 :(

https://sports.yahoo.com/legendary-sabres-broadcaster-rick-jeanneret-031621961.html

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #55 on: 27 August 2023, 08:18:02 »
Surprised nobody commented on:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/how-matthews-maple-leafs-settled-on-deal-he-could-demand-a-whole-lot-more/

Very good for him obviously, but don't see how this helps the Leafs' cap woes.

Cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #56 on: 27 August 2023, 13:02:02 »
Trade rumblings.  Aftershock of Gabe's post.

Mathews' new extension will facilitate Nylander being moved to NYI for Pageau. 

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 27 August 2023, 17:40:27 »
Trade rumblings.  Aftershock of Gabe's post.

Mathews' new extension will facilitate Nylander being moved to NYI for Pageau.

That seems like a steal for the Islanders if that is the case.  Pageau give some cap relief I suppose, but isn't in the in the same stratosphere.

Also I think it's an incredible leap of faith for the Leafs.  % mil for a 40 pt guy isn't a great investment.  Certainly the talent on the Leafs would be the best he's ever been surrounded by.  He'd have to hit 50 points or more to get good value out of Pageau and don't think that's realistic.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2023, 19:08:04 by Firesprocket »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #58 on: 28 August 2023, 15:47:34 »
That seems like a steal for the Islanders if that is the case.  Pageau give some cap relief I suppose, but isn't in the in the same stratosphere.

Also I think it's an incredible leap of faith for the Leafs.  % mil for a 40 pt guy isn't a great investment.  Certainly the talent on the Leafs would be the best he's ever been surrounded by.  He'd have to hit 50 points or more to get good value out of Pageau and don't think that's realistic.

It's just a rumbling.  I'm also hearing Nylander to Montreal for Caufield.

Both would give some relief to Toronto's cap situation, both seem far-fetched.  But the Leafs WILL need to do something about their topheavy roster.  Nylander could net them much, but Toronto can't afford that.  Also the bidding war would need to heat up, and the other GM's are all smelling blood so how much heat is questionable.  Still, this is something that warrants keeping an eye on.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2023, 15:50:09 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 08 September 2023, 17:25:19 »
Apparently Chris Chelios' number is not retired.  However that will be remedied soon.  I remember him most for his time on the Blackhawks however he was only there 9 out of his 26 seasons.  Which I guess is yet more proof that I'm getting old and my memory is horrible for thinking he was there for a longer period of time.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blackhawks-retire-former-captain-chris-033500358.html