Author Topic: (Answered) DFA and Engine Explosions  (Read 3143 times)

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
(Answered) DFA and Engine Explosions
« on: 15 February 2011, 23:56:12 »
This never got answered and we were just at another convention where many of the players remembered this from three months ago and were asking about it.  I was hoping I could get a confirmation on our interpretation.
Quote from: Sometime in mid-November
OrangeWoman and I are at a convention where something very interesting happened.  A Summoner successfully DFA'ed an Atlas and in doing so, critted the SRM ammo of said Atlas.  That the Atlas was cored and dead was clear, so the pilot made his engine check for an engine explosion.  The Atlas pilot successfully blew his mech up, rolling an 11 on the roll.

So the question is this.  In this case, where is the Summoner?

Total Warfare, page 149, says the attacking mech "stops just short of that hex until the Physical Attack Phase."  That would imply, as would common sense, during the actual attack both mechs are in the same hex.  Furthermore, Total Warfare, page 151, says that "at the end of the DFA the attacker lands in the target's hex."  Subsequent to that the defender is pushed out of the hex.

The resolution we did was simple: the explosion occurred as the Summoner crashed through the Atlas.  Consequently, according to the engine explosion rules, the Summoner was destroyed by dint of being in the same hex as an engine explosion.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 01:28:13 by Xotl »
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
Re: DFA and Engine Explosions
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2011, 09:40:02 »
Sure. That sounds good.
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

Register