14 (5.2%)
Jihad
34 (12.7%)
Dark age
13 (4.9%)
ilClan
52 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Best Era  (Read 2665 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Best Era
« Reply #30 on: 06 April 2024, 16:37:08 »
What Eras do you think did well and what Eras do you think failed and if so why did they fail

The Poll says "Best".

The Question is "Did Well" & "Failed".

These don't seem to match up or mean the same thing.

I voted for my 2 favorites.

Why are they my favorites?

The SL era I like for the feel of a true full scale military for the SL & even the houses.
They have WARSHIPS & Divisions of Mechs.  And yes the frequency of fighting is "fairly" low compared to SW border raids which are going on all the time.
I feel like it's an era of both limited & large scale combat with down time in between.

While the game started at the end of the SW & I enjoy that time, it was really the tech revival & the introduction of the clans that triggered a different feel & format & # of factions.  The vast majority of games I've played in nearly 40 years have been between 3025-3067 range.  And while that isn't all "Clan Invasion" it does cover a good chunk & feel for a lot of it.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 07 April 2024, 10:08:17 »
I’ve held off on replying to this thread for several days while I mulled over my answer. My knee-jerk reaction was Clan Invasion since, you guessed it, that was when I started playing. I recognized that wasn’t a good metric though, and so I’ve been pondering while considering all the other answers.  Cannonshop in particular had a really good response that allowed me to finally come to a conclusion - namely that it’s all subjective and everyone is going to have different ways in which to measure success or failure.

So, after all that, the award for best era goes to…

Clan Invasion.  It contains the most iconic event in the history of Battletech the game, introducing the Clans to the story, my favorite lore, and is the setting that most of the video games have been set in.  The Clan Invasion era is the one that has the most exposure in all of Battletech, and is why I think it is the best/most successful.

Succession Wars just beat out IlClan for the #2 spot, mostly because IMHO IlClan hasn’t had enough time to see how it’s all going to turn out. However, the redesigned minis have been a game changer so even if I eventually decide that the IlClan lore falls flat, this time will always be considered a successful one for me.

Deciding on failure was what kept me from posting.  My vote goes to Dark Age for purely personal reasons. I can certainly accept the argument that Dark Age carried the torch for Battletech until PGI and HBS picked it up. Maybe BT wouldn’t be around anymore if not for dark Age. However, for me it was a failure.  The characters that I cared about were suddenly gone, the ‘Mechs that I knew and loved were suddenly gone, replaced with goofy looking miniatures using gacha mechanics to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn’t want.

Deckard_2049

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 07 April 2024, 14:10:51 »
For me it's succession wars>Ilclan>clan invasion. Ilclan started growing on me with the hinterlands stuff and the visual redesigns for the gyrfalcon and others. Clan invasion is still a favorite though when it comes to lore moreso than gameplay. With Ilclan I hope they let some of these minor factions like the Aylina Mercantile League cook for a bit before destroying them or upending all the developments around that zone.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 07 April 2024, 14:11:52 »
  Well I voted. 1st: Succession Wars . 2nd:Clan Invasion. Now I don't see a Failure or Worst with the other Era . Its all up to the people who want to play BattleTech and Eras want to play in.

Garagegamer

• Recruit
« Reply #34 on: 08 April 2024, 08:52:46 »
You forgot reunification war. Technically that exists in limited quantities. Also there is the 2550s to 2700s that also exists. Looking at that era is fun to see what factions exist.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 08 April 2024, 17:49:32 »
In the "Prime" BT timeline, I would vote for the Dark Age and IlClan as being the most interesting to me personally. Although, since the HPGs being used by Clan Goliath Scorpion never suffered from the Blackout, would the term "Dark Age" technically apply for them?

I would also add a side mention to the Empires Aflame setting, though I wonder if that entire alternate timeline post-2784 would count as a single (non-canon) Era or not.

-----

But in terms of being the most successful: I might wonder if Operation REVIVAL might mark a critical point at which BattleTech as a franchise made the leap into long-term viability.

If you consider the troubles caused by the Unseen, it would be difficult to picture how BT would have been as successful as it has been without the onset of the Timber Wolf, and of other Clan technologies (such as Elemental battle armour) which arrived in the Inner Sphere alongside it. Both in terms of being "designed-for-BT" units which could be heavily leaned upon in books, novels, art works, video games, and so on and so forth; but also in terms of how they marked a seismic change - for good or ill, depending on the player involved - in how games can play out on the tabletop.

Also, I've seen it suggested elsewhere on these boards that the Clans, regardless of how one might view them as a society, are a useful set of factions for the purpose of playing - or for advancing the story of - BattleTech. A warrior aristocracy built around the concept of combat Trials and battle challenges makes for easily scalable levels of Total Warfare or Alpha Strike game play, or even for unaugmented duels fought out in a pen-and-paper RPG. The degree to which zellbrigen is, or is not, to be enforced can be used to set up and balance different kinds of battles. And with so many warriors at all ranks of each touman looking to instigate trouble and to upset the proverbial apple cart, and with no shortage of ambition their very presence triggers amidst the various non-Clan factions they are set against, there is no end of excuses for such combat to happen - to put the "battle" in "BattleTech".

Even now, in the era of the ilClan, these ideas are still being leveraged, causing ripple effects for Clan, Spheroid, and Periphery factions alike - showing how much of the present-day success of the setting owes to the changes unleashed upon the Inner Sphere during the early Clan Invasion.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2024, 18:08:22 by Nerroth »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #36 on: 08 April 2024, 20:25:01 »
Wow!  It really wasn't THAT long ago that fans of the Clan Invasion era were small fraction of the fanbase.  Nice to see that things have kind of equaled out over time.

Edit: Let's not have a "Worst Era" poll.  It only encourages negativity, and there always seems to be plenty of that to go around without fostering it.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2024, 20:28:40 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 08 April 2024, 22:21:04 »
I do find it interesting that the Jihad is beating out the FedCom Civil War era.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 08 April 2024, 22:45:18 »
Edit: Let's not have a "Worst Era" poll.  It only encourages negativity, and there always seems to be plenty of that to go around without fostering it.
Spot on.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
  • They said "Risk" was a long game
« Reply #39 on: 09 April 2024, 00:05:31 »
[/quote

I Agree, It has been fixed
Corporal: Were under attack general.
General: who's attacking?
Corporal: Those 25 Urbanmech Mechwarriors you offended last week on Solaris.
General: That's....unfortunate. Could you remind me what I said to offend them?
Corporal: You said their Urbanmechs look like Locust-1Vs Sir.
General: ahh... I remember now.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 09 April 2024, 03:21:38 »
Wow!  It really wasn't THAT long ago that fans of the Clan Invasion era were small fraction of the fanbase.  Nice to see that things have kind of equaled out over time.

eh not really, the 3025 grogs where a vocal minority, vocal yes but very much a minority
The Suns will shine again

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #41 on: 09 April 2024, 09:17:05 »
Wow!  It really wasn't THAT long ago that fans of the Clan Invasion era were small fraction of the fanbase.  Nice to see that things have kind of equaled out over time

Considering how many depictions of the Timber Wolf we have seen over the years, think there's just less gate keeping. When I first joined this forum, there was a very vocal 'SW only' club that kept allot of people away. Think the community has finally moved pass 'the ---- era ruined everything!' mentality post Fasa.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 09 April 2024, 09:51:54 »
I like Clan Invasion through to Operation Bulldog and Operation Serpent, 3049-3060s or so. I enjoy playing IS units in this era as the tech available allows them to handle the Clans but it's more of a challenge. On the flip side of the coin, the Clan units available are a lot fun as well.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 09:58:18 by OatsAndHall »

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #43 on: 09 April 2024, 11:07:01 »
I do find it interesting that the Jihad is beating out the FedCom Civil War era.

Well, only two factions were allowed to participate in the FCCW, everyone else just had to sit around and watch.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #44 on: 09 April 2024, 11:23:19 »
I like the Jihad era as someone coming to the setting after the drama around it was already done.

C3i, cybernetics (DNI), the potential innovations that came with things like the Gestalt all seemed like a super cool direction for Inner Sphere technology to grow with the raw weapons technology always being a Clan thing. It felt like the Word of Blake was genuinely trying to advance where ComStar and the Houses failed - match and then exceed the Clans technologically while retaining the industrial supremacy of the Inner Sphere. They had the zealotry of religion for morale, too.

Delvin Stone and the Wonderfriends putting a stop to it all has always mystified me and made me wonder if the WoB weren't just ahead of their time.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 09 April 2024, 13:46:26 »
Well, only two factions were allowed to participate in the FCCW, everyone else just had to sit around and watch.
There where other conflicts going on but most of the meta narrative was focused on FedCom. I got more interested in the era after playing MW4:Mercs as the missions explored the other conflicts more.

Rob Bendig

• Private
« Reply #46 on: 09 April 2024, 14:21:24 »
There where other conflicts going on

Lest we forget St. Ives - we hardly got to know you.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #47 on: 09 April 2024, 17:24:35 »
There where other conflicts going on but most of the meta narrative was focused on FedCom. I got more interested in the era after playing MW4:Mercs as the missions explored the other conflicts more.

For very brief periods of time there were other conflicts going on. But for most of the era, most factions are just sitting around. The CC and DC wrap up everything in 3064. The FWL gets a single action (Jeremy Brett going to Arcadia). The Falcon Incursion starts and ends in 3064. The Wolves only participate lightly in the Falcon Incursion and are otherwise doing nothing. The Bears are only active in 3063 and 3064. Honestly it's not surprising that people aren't that into it given how little they have to chew on that isn't a slapfight between bumbling idiot siblings.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 17:26:15 by Caesar Steiner for Archon »

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 09 April 2024, 20:08:43 »
eh not really, the 3025 grogs where a vocal minority, vocal yes but very much a minority

The merc and house books painted a wonderful, diverse world to play in. Then that world moved on, focusing on a small slice of it with new factions.

I like playing CBT with Jihad tech era tech. I got into the game/setting during clan invasion.

If I had to GM a game in any era, it would be immediate post-Jihad. Mauled house armies, bandits with supplies from the WOBbies, Wobbie hunting, and the RotS trying to yank your gear. That doesn't last long, but...

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 10 April 2024, 18:29:15 »
Given its the winner in votes right now, I'd say its not that small of a minority.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 11 April 2024, 10:16:31 »
If Sub-Eras can also be taken into account, I would say that the Wars of Reaving earn the distinction of being the first "new" branch of BattleTech that was brought into being by Catalyst Game Labs. At least, "new" in the sense of not having been largely pre-empted by the post-3067 events told through MechWarrior: Dark Age/Age of Destruction.

The success of WoR, both as a product (to include its Supplemental file) and as a sub-Era, showed that CGL was well placed to take the reins of the BT setting, even before they were finally able to go past the point at which MW:DA/AoD left things off through late Dark Age products like A Bonfire of Worlds and Era Report: 3145.

Plus, that sub-Era gave Clan Goliath Scorpion its own trajectory, upon which more recent products like Operational Turning Points: Hanseatic Crusade could build. Even if the fate of the Homeworld Clans which Abjured them remains unknown as of this time of typing...
« Last Edit: 11 April 2024, 10:18:30 by Nerroth »

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 12 April 2024, 15:26:12 »
Given its the winner in votes right now, I'd say its not that small of a minority.

I’d make a distinction between the grogs BD references and people who play everything but still think SW is the best era.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 12 April 2024, 15:30:16 »
I’d make a distinction between the grogs BD references and people who play everything but still think SW is the best era.

Indeed, I'm far from a grog, but there are aspects of the 3025 period I'd easily contend where the best. I've long been saying that ever since he died, FASA/Fanpro/CGL have been trying to recreate Hanse Davion, and largely failing for example

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 12 April 2024, 17:49:39 »
I didn't choose SW myself, but, I agree that it's one of my favorites, and for a totally new reason recently....

My GM has been playing a lot of Republic Era missions lately & this will sound weird but, I'm feeling a bit grog-ish when I try to make a force.

So many new models, mixed tech, experimental equipment, etc etc.

I'm like, I kind of want to play 4th SW so I can have a smaller list of things to pick from, LOL.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 12 April 2024, 19:52:04 »
FASA/Fanpro/CGL have been trying to recreate Hanse Davion, and largely failing for example
I see it more as everyone keeps comparing newer characters to Hanse Davion.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 13 April 2024, 02:50:57 »
I see it more as everyone keeps comparing newer characters to Hanse Davion.

Hanse Davion is considered kinda the prototypical "genius faction leader" but the differance between him and pretty much every other attempt is Hanse Davion didn't go into a fight where he was behind and manage to win via a genius BS tactic, Hanse's genius was stacking the deck so hard in his favor, victory was all but assured.

this is rather differant from say, SunTzu, or Alaric

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 13 April 2024, 06:58:19 »
Like I said, people keep comparing other characters to Hanse Davion.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer