Author Topic: Signature Vehicles for the Great Houses?  (Read 1644 times)

ARCcommand

• Recruit
Signature Vehicles for the Great Houses?
« on: 23 January 2020, 21:24:36 »
I am relatively new to BattleTech (got into it a couple of years back), and a frequent lurker on the forums; I'm working on getting forces together for each of the great houses, and I've decided to bolster my forces with some shiny new vehicles, but I am not entirely which ones to get for what faction.

My question is this: what are the "signature" vehicles (if any) for each house? I guess I should specify that I mean vtol's too. Obviously I'm guessing there's some overlap in stuff like Scorpions or Warrior Vtols, but am curious if there are any vehicles that are strongly associated with certain factions; so if I want to throw together a company or more for each house, what should I be sure to include? Is there like a MBT for each faction? As for time period we generally play in Clan Invasion but we aren't too picky if someone brings something from say Civil War or Jihad or they bring an older unit.

I have searched a decent bit looking on this forum and a few other places to see if someone else had asked this question, but as of yet I haven't found much information on this topic (at least that's all in one place). Hopefully this is the right place to post this!

TL;DR - What vehicles (Vtol's included) does each house use the most during the Clan Invasion/Civil War period?
« Last Edit: 24 January 2020, 02:57:53 by ARCcommand »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Signature Vehicles for the Great Houses?
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2020, 21:57:10 »
IIRC every single V-Tol from any TRO pre-Jihad is either produced by the Fed-Com States (Ferret, Warrior, all the 58/60 models), or Comstar (SLDF Stuff)

That said many of those are sold to the other houses (Specifically the Karnov & 58/60 models)

I don't recall anything about the Ferret or Warrior spreading from FC states but it might have.

Many vehicles even if they are produced in 1 house or another are spread everywhere.

A few that are more "faction-y" that others.........

LyrCom = Sturmfeur, Saxon, Fortune
FedSuns = Neptune, Challenger, Glory, Pilum
FW League = Main Gauche,  Stygian, Harasser
CapCon = Po, Regulator
DracComb = Tokugawa, Daimyo
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2020, 22:00:40 »
The Demolisher II, Mantaefful, and Challenger MBT are all pretty signature vehicles of the FedCom.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2020, 00:25:28 »
Rommel / Patton is a Lyran-ish tank.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2020, 01:07:48 »

My take on tracked/wheeled tanks and hover/VTOL/conventional fighter vehicles for each House based mostly on the classic TRO 3025 and 3026:

CC:  Po, Guardian
DC:  Bulldog, Saladin/Saracen/Scimitar
FS:  Goblin/Striker, Warrior/Ferret
FWL:  Ontos/Galleon, Harasser
LC:  Patton/Rommel/Hunter/Sturmfeur/Swift Wind, Drillson/Savannah Master
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2020, 02:18:24 »
LC: Warrior H-7, Rommel/Patton, Hunter
Fedsuns: Fox scout car, Bulldog, Jellowbucket
Draconis Combine: Tokugawa
CapCon: Po.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2020, 06:48:18 »
CC: Korvin, Brutus, Po, Regulator, Swift Wind
DC: Tokugawa, Bulldog, Skulker, Saracen, Scimitar, Saladin, Pegasus, Sabaku Kaze, Chi Ha
FWL: Ontos, Harasser, Galleon
LC: Hunter, Rommel/Patton, Demolisher II, Manteuffel, Centipede, Warrior VTOL, Drillson, Maxim, Marsden II, Savannah Master, Sturmfeur
FS: Striker, Ferret, Typhoon, Goblin, Partisan, Pilum, Darter, Condor
FedCom/Lyran Alliance: Cavalry, Yellowjacket, Fulcrum, Challenger X
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2020, 10:36:43 »
Then you also get a design like the Condor- widely available but the Davions & Liaos have their own refit versions.  The Condor (Davion) has 2 AC/5s but no more ammo, so roughly 10 shots before the tank is down to a MG.  The Condor (Liao) swaps the AC/5 for another 2 MLs to bring it up to four. 

If you play Invasion Era I would also mention the FRR.  They built a tank called the Axel which is a tank the FRR commissioned based on the Rommel -probably on worlds from the Lyrans when established.  The FRR did not have the fusion engines to 'waste' putting the engines in tanks when they needed them for mechs, so its designed around a ICE engine.  To make up the bulk they had to lower the speed and the amount of armor but spent a ton to bump up the LRM launcher.

The Bears kept it in production until the Jihad, when they made a IIC version giving it the long denied SFE and upping the speed to 4/6- now it was on par with daddy Rommel.  Getting a Clan LPL, 2 LRM15 w/ArtIV, a APG, ECM, CASE and improved protection of Clan FF . . . its better than daddy Rommel.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2020, 11:25:41 »
The Axel was a licensed export version of the Rommel, done specifically for the FRR.

The Bears upgraded it to two different versions but that didn't happen until the Jihad, which is after the time frame the OP asked about.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2020, 04:33:35 »
FedCom/Lyran Alliance: Cavalry, Yellowjacket, Fulcrum, Challenger X

Isn't the Challenger X more of a FedSuns tank? They're literally built on three different FedSuns worlds.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2020, 08:32:40 »
May I submit the Soareçe for the FWL. It may be a rare vehicle, too rare for a true signature vehicle that opponents can expect to see, but man does it reek of FWL.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2020, 09:42:16 »
Isn't the Challenger X more of a FedSuns tank? They're literally built on three different FedSuns worlds.

The writeup says it was popular with both Lyran and FedSuns units in the civil war.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Register