Author Topic: Alpha Strike Continues in San Diego!  (Read 2841 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Alpha Strike Continues in San Diego!
« on: 24 September 2018, 17:06:27 »
Fellow forum member koalabirb and myself put another Alpha Strike game in the books yesterday.  This time it was the RAF up against the forces of the DCMS.  This was a breakthrough scenario with the RAF trying to make it past the DCMS lines and get off the board.  Point value for the DCMS was 600, and 717 for the RAF (they were to be approximately 120% of the DCMS PV).  koalabirb played the DCMS side while I was with the RAF.

With it being a breakthrough game, the DCMS units setup along the center line of the map.  The RAF entered from their home edge on Turn 1.  I lost initiative on Turn 1 and Turn 2.  At that point I did't think things were going to go well for me.  At the end of turn 2 I'd lost a lance of Vedettes and my two VTOLs.  Several of my mechs had taken good damage as well and it wouldn't take much to knock them out.  On the other side, koalabirb was down two mechs and a couple of hovertanks, with a bit a damage spread out amongst his other forces, but not enough that I thought I was in a good spot.

That changed on Turn 3.  koalabirb's dice took a turn for the worse.  I won initiative, and then in the combat phase, several of his shots at medium and short range missed my units.  As fate would have it (and with a slight edge in unit skill) my dice rose to the challenge, and my heavy hitters started landing serious hits.  At that start of Turn 4 it looks like I might make it.  koalabirb's dice worked against him for the rest of the game.  Several of his units go down, but not without a fight.  He succeeds in his objective of preventing more than half my force escaping (bummer!)  By the end of Turn 5 though, I had destroyed his remaining units.

We were using victory points to determine the winner.  It was close, but with the amount of kills I had, I just edged out koalabirb.  It was a great game, a fun scenario, and a worthy opponent.  Thanks again to koalabirb for coming out and playing! :thumbsup:

Pictures are attached.  Hope you enjoy the viewing!

There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Alpha Strike Continues in San Diego!
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2018, 17:08:46 »
More pics.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2018, 15:28:37 »
A privilege as always!

That's was a really fun game, despite my dice phoning-it-in right at the end. Looking forward to the next one!
"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Lyran way. Which is to say:  The wrong way using Assault 'Mechs.

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2018, 16:59:44 »
Sexy looking game!

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2018, 20:04:45 »
Indeed, and that was partly due to the game shop.  They keep a fair amount of terrain and buildings there for anyone to use.  So a big thank you out to Game Empire for they use of those and their table! :thumbsup:

Register