Author Topic: 2011-09-02 Unit Digest: Ghosts of Spartacus [BattleCorps Exclusive]  (Read 2904 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Christopher Purnell shows us a slave revolt.

In our latest Unit Digest, longtime author Christopher Purnell shows us a band of escaped slaves in the Marian Hegemony near the turn of the 31st Century.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
Re: 2011-09-02 Unit Digest: Ghosts of Spartacus [BattleCorps Exclusive]
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2011, 11:24:23 »
I dug this. A lot. Some nice fluff in the background if you like the Space Romans.
Maker of big things.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2011, 12:23:43 »
agreed. this one is a winner in my books.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

lexington476

• Sergeant
  • PXH-7K
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2011, 19:43:17 »
Very cool [rockon]. Of the four mechs listed in the back, which one would Melissa Wen use?

Cavalier

• Corporal
  • The Very Model of a Marik Marshal
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2011, 17:55:33 »
Very cool [rockon]. Of the four mechs listed in the back, which one would Melissa Wen use?

If she's in the field, she is probably using the Spider. It's got the best mobility of the lot and is the hardest to engage if she doesn't want to be. That said there are more 'Mechwarriors than 'Mechs so there is a lot of switching-out on the available rides, and Melissa usually commands herself only in relatively critical situations. She is aware of how much the unit depends on her leadership, and serving as a gladiator knocked out any notions of individual glory.

timp77

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2011, 21:39:24 »
Whats the paint scheme for the Ghosts...what will happen to them in the Future?

I must say this is a great UD!  [rockon]

Cavalier

• Corporal
  • The Very Model of a Marik Marshal
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2011, 23:06:24 »
They don't exactly have parade colors, so it would probably just be generic camouflage as appropriate for the vehicles. The 'Mech lance would, I think, use a similar olive green drab as the Orloff Grenadiers, with a golden band styled like a torc around the junction of the head and torso and a band of scarlet wrapped around the upper right arm. Symbolism should be obvious there. I imagine they have an insignia, that of a slave-figure rising up from kneeling with broken manacles around his arms, waving a gladius up above his head, with a red sun-disc background. Krystyn Stasic would have whipped it up in about twenty minutes on the 2990 version of Photoshop though it is unlikely to be seen on their vehicles since prettying them up is not a priority.

Also, none of the above can be considered canon since it was never published or cleared by anyone. But if someone actually wanted to paint up miniatures of the group and show them around that would be awesome.

As for their fate, that's up to the individual player or group. I kind of imagine some down-on-their-luck Periphery merc company getting a sweetheart deal from the Marians to go "take care of some pirates" and being overjoyed at finding good-paying, honest work. And only finding out they're crushing a slave rebellion after they've already demolished the Ghosts. Of course pursuing the Ghosts would also offer Marian players a chance to connect with their inner bad guy, up to and including twirling their mustaches while overseeing the crucifixion of the survivors. Or maybe the player group would like to run the Ghosts in an alt-canon campaign and try to overthrow the brutal Marian slave regime, or at least save a bunch of slaves and accumulate some loot ahead of retiring off into Illyria or the Magistracy. These Unit Digests should first and foremost be seeds for people to use for their own purpose so whatever you and your group come up with quite good.