Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 163166 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #1080 on: 16 March 2018, 14:31:24 »
So, this was enlightening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iflLDNUJte0

I knew there were some cultural differences, but wow.

So, I notice that Saban, the same folks which brought us the wonderful Power Rangers, have branched into anime at some point in the not too distant past. I'm watching Glitter Force just out of curiosity. I admit that it is goofy as all get-out, but I think I can keep watching it, but only on an ep-a-day basis. Kinda like Rewatching He-Man, She-Ra, or Ghost Busters.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1081 on: 16 March 2018, 14:59:31 »
I knew there were some cultural differences, but wow.
Huh. They're going for some pretty obscure stuff there - predominantly mid 90s OVA within a narrow selection of splatter stuff brought to the US. I was halfway expecting some Urotsukidouji in there. And oddly they then connect it with TV mainstream from entirely different decades - i mean, the scenes showing behind him as a background are Lupin and Inuyasha of all things.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1082 on: 16 March 2018, 15:09:54 »
You have to admit though, the OVA boom was a rather strange era.
It did allow for the boundaries to be pushed and I doubt we'll see anything to that extent again.

Maybe I should dig out my copy of Baou or maybe Fight! Iczer One at some point...

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1083 on: 16 March 2018, 16:01:47 »
So, this was enlightening:
O-kay, I'll put Mad Bull 34 to my anime shopping list.

Otherwise based on what I have seen myself, at least some of the recent anime are improvements compared to the most of the old ones I have seen. Silver Fang and Space Adventure Cobra FTW, but most of the rest... nah.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1084 on: 16 March 2018, 16:12:25 »
O-kay, I'll put Mad Bull 34 to my anime shopping list.

Otherwise based on what I have seen myself, at least some of the recent anime are improvements compared to the most of the old ones I have seen. Silver Fang and Space Adventure Cobra FTW, but most of the rest... nah.
it is over the top with violance and sex but still funny when bull goes on a rampage and still remain likable...as for cobra it has been sitting on my to watch list now for few months...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1085 on: 16 March 2018, 19:30:53 »
So, I notice that Saban, the same folks which brought us the wonderful Power Rangers, have branched into anime at some point in the not too distant past. I'm watching Glitter Force just out of curiosity. I admit that it is goofy as all get-out, but I think I can keep watching it, but only on an ep-a-day basis. Kinda like Rewatching He-Man, She-Ra, or Ghost Busters.

L-leave Smile Pretty Cure ALONE!!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1086 on: 16 March 2018, 20:37:43 »
Kinda like Rewatching He-Man, She-Ra, or Ghost Busters.

Just to clarify, you mean the original 1980's He-Man, not the 2003 series, correct?

And I'm assuming the Real Ghostbusters, or was it the series with the Ape? If the latter, the live-action or animated version?

I never watched but an episode or two of She-ra, so don't know much on that one...but one that may be added to this...the original Thundercats animated series...some (ok, much) of that show can be downright painful at times to watch...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1087 on: 16 March 2018, 20:41:43 »
She-Ra is currently on Netflix.  It's decent compared to other shows of its time and was one of the few cartoons marketed toward girls that didn't make you want to jam a blowtorch in your eyes.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1088 on: 16 March 2018, 21:17:14 »
Just to clarify, you mean the original 1980's He-Man, not the 2003 series, correct?

And I'm assuming the Real Ghostbusters, or was it the series with the Ape? If the latter, the live-action or animated version?

I never watched but an episode or two of She-ra, so don't know much on that one...but one that may be added to this...the original Thundercats animated series...some (ok, much) of that show can be downright painful at times to watch...

Ruger

You are correct on both counts. Although, Real Ghostbusters is actually a little more watchable than all the others. My problem isn't that they were horrible, but that the plot/story formula puts me to sleep in short order now-days. I can only watch one or two at a time before I'm drowsy. 

Another one I'll add to that list: SilverHawks. Picked up the dvd compilation not too long back, and I never finished the series before donating it to the library. I had more fun watching the collection of StarCom on dvd.

L-leave Smile Pretty Cure ALONE!!

I can't comment for Saban. I get the impression they picked it up because it was not going to reach the states otherwise. Not dubbed, anyway. I personally find the show hilarious because it hits all the tropes and the characters are serious about what's happening, and yet not. As I said, it's goofy. I like goofy at times.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1089 on: 16 March 2018, 21:18:45 »
She-Ra is currently on Netflix.  It's decent compared to other shows of its time and was one of the few cartoons marketed toward girls that didn't make you want to jam a blowtorch in your eyes.

All the ones I listed are on Netflix. Thunder Cats and Silver Hawks are not.

I will admit I enjoyed the remake of He-Man and Thunder Cats and am disappointed they couldn't go further with them.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1090 on: 16 March 2018, 21:35:13 »
Never saw the new He-Man, but Thundercats is a perfect example of how Cartoon Network is their own worst enemy (its contemporary, Young Justice, being another great example).

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1091 on: 16 March 2018, 22:14:04 »
There's another one I enjoyed.

And what's the one where a young Superman gets ported into the future by a group of superheroes in need of help from a legend? Bouncing Boy, Brainiac 5 and them?

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1092 on: 16 March 2018, 22:17:47 »
There's another one I enjoyed.

And what's the one where a young Superman gets ported into the future by a group of superheroes in need of help from a legend? Bouncing Boy, Brainiac 5 and them?

Yea, that's the actual Legion of Superheroes animated series, post Bruce Timm-DCAU.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1093 on: 17 March 2018, 23:20:57 »
Finally finished Blood Battle Blockade - Beyond (aka 2nd season), it was good. If anything it was hidden among many shows this season.  I have to admit I've fallen off the bandwagon lately watching latest.  I have been Watching Darling is in the Franxx steadily, but I've been saving other shows for another day to watch.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1094 on: 20 March 2018, 13:39:02 »
I recommend you Encouragement of Climb

Gonna give it a try.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1095 on: 20 March 2018, 14:11:27 »
So... with the latest episode, i guess the guys who do Overlord decided to throw any semblance of censoring out of the window?

(well, as expected for the arc)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1096 on: 20 March 2018, 17:04:43 »
I finally got to watch the Direct to DVD/Blu-Ray episodes of Drifters.

The these "specials" are exactly additional two episodes from the original production run of Drifters TV show even calling themselves episode titles as Episodes 13 and 14 respectfully.  Same quality, same style of anime and writing.  To me it's series was cut off and held off airing these two so they could be released to Home Release only.

The series show more progress of events without losing beat, while episode 14 saying "To be Continued". 

Very good show.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1097 on: 20 March 2018, 19:24:33 »
Speaking of "Cool" Shows,  Teaser video for FLCL was released, ANN report is here.

I'm not so hip on the voice English acting thou.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1098 on: 20 March 2018, 22:37:27 »
This current season may well spoil me for the remainder of the year with Violet Evergarden, Ancient Magus' Bride and A Place Further Than the Universe. These three are incredibly good.

As a veteran, and as I have been working for the last 8 years in Army Casualty, Violet Evergarden has really resonated with me. Its top notch.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1099 on: 21 March 2018, 12:28:32 »
This current season may well spoil me for the remainder of the year with Violet Evergarden, Ancient Magus' Bride and A Place Further Than the Universe. These three are incredibly good.

As a veteran, and as I have been working for the last 8 years in Army Casualty, Violet Evergarden has really resonated with me. Its top notch.
I have been watching both Violet Evergarden and A Place Further Than the Universe, and I can confirm that both shows are high quality in every aspect, and really know how to invoke emotions.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1100 on: 21 March 2018, 19:37:50 »
I have been watching both Violet Evergarden and A Place Further Than the Universe, and I can confirm that both shows are high quality in every aspect, and really know how to invoke emotions.
Yeah. This season is just absolutely nuts in terms of overall strength of shows. I ended up following 'A Place Further Than The Universe', 'Violet Evergarden', 'After The Rain', 'Yuru Camp' and 'Darling in the FranXX' on top of 'The Ancient Magus' Bride' from last season. That's absolutely nuts given I normally stick with two to three shows at most.

I ended up picking up A Place Further Than The Universe because of the loving rendition of my country (Yay, Singapore Episode), and I ended up getting stuck following the entire thing.
Meanwhile, Violet Evergarden is an absolute gem.

I'm not sure if After The Rain (Koi wa Ameagari no You ni) will work for everyone given the subject matter is one that some might find questionable, but the show is incredible just on the strength of it's direction, scene composition and writing. It's about the awkward relationship between an infatuated high school student and the 45-year old manager at her workplace, and while I'm not sure what possessed me to watch it, I'm glad I stuck with it. The show's been amazing in it's use of subtle things; character framing, light, dark, body language mirroring, etc to carry the story, and while I was concerned about the romantic premise, I'm impressed by the maturity and depth with which the writers have handled things.

Yuru Camp, on the other hand is just CGDCT comfy at its finest and a fantastic palate cleanser after Violet Evergarden inevitably attempts to stab me in the feely bits.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2018, 19:39:54 by Dies Irae »

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1101 on: 21 March 2018, 21:23:36 »
I've been watching Love is Like After the Rain and Darling in the FranXX as well.

Violet Evergarden and Ancient Magus' Bride are already on my "Will Buy" list, and A Place Further Than the Universe will get there as well as long as they don't fumble the last episode. I don't expect that will happen, but you never know. And I cannot remember when (or even ever) three anime from the same season all made my Will Buy list (its never been a long list).
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1102 on: 22 March 2018, 09:33:05 »
Because of ONE little scene from Ancient Magus' Bride, I'm definitely watching the series.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1103 on: 22 March 2018, 10:44:51 »
Because of ONE little scene from Ancient Magus' Bride, I'm definitely watching the series.

And what particular scene was that? There are so many of them...

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1104 on: 22 March 2018, 12:04:32 »
And what particular scene was that? There are so many of them...
When Titania tell the priest he wasn't welcomed.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1105 on: 22 March 2018, 12:32:17 »
Ah...
Mid 1st cour.

The Ancient Magus' Bride is a pretty good series. Don't forget to view the 3-part OVA as well. But watch them after ep 13 or 14. I can't recall which right now. The OVAs fit into the narrative right at that point.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1106 on: 22 March 2018, 15:39:21 »
I've noticed that in a lot of anime, junior high or high-school age kids are depicted as living on their own while their parents work elsewhere.  Is that actually common in Japan?

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1107 on: 22 March 2018, 15:59:28 »
It's not that common, but not unusual either. At least for high school age.

It should be noted that it's not really that much of a recent thing either, but has been going on since the early 60s. Of those born during the war, 25% of men had already left their parental household by age 18.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1108 on: 22 March 2018, 16:19:47 »
Yep, not that strange - testing into prestigious middle & high schools is a major priority for students, & property is far too expensive to simply move for a child's education. If the school doesn't provide a dormitory, it's not unusual for the family to rent a small apartment for their kid nearby the school.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1109 on: 22 March 2018, 18:50:32 »
When Titania tell the priest he wasn't welcomed.

The one where she effectively punts him out of the woods for being an agent of a competing deity?