Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 164580 times)

iamfanboy

• Captain
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #270 on: 27 September 2017, 22:55:12 »

A large segment of the population (of Western audiences especially) does not view any animation as "dramatic entertainment".  Animation is considered to be for kids.   So Hollywood is looking at it and going "this is a great story, and it would require very little adaptation to localize it to a Western location and to make it as live action with a little bit of special effects".  They see dollar signs, and they may be correct.
YEAH! Amen, bruddah!

One Punch Man is not just a sendup of superhero stereotypes, it's satire of the entire shonen genre.  It's taking a lot of the shonen tropes and turning them on their head.
There's a difference between being a satire and just being what you claim to be satirizing. OPM is the latter, and any amount of winking at the audience of "Isn't it silly that this cyborg guy is spending an entire page talking about his history?" doesn't change that.

Like that Deadpool Xbox 360 game a few years ago. It was HILARIOUS, but it claimed to be a satire of games like Devil May Cry and God of War when it was exactly like those games. A satire has to expose the faults of something, not just BE those faults with a few fourth-wall jokes about how silly it all is.

I'm not an intense fan of MHA - I can't remember any of the character's names aside from All Might, Deku, and Froppy 'cause she's adorable - but it is a straight satire, if such a thing exists. Yes, it is a superhero comic with all the things that that implies, but it also takes a look at the tropes and deconstructs them, thinking carefully about how they actually work WITHOUT forcing down your throat dozens of pages of exposition or grimdark bullshit or "winkwink, isn't this silly?"

Don't get me wrong. I don't HATE OPM, but I don't like it either, aside from that glorious 16 double pages of a single punch! I'm neutral on it.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #272 on: 27 September 2017, 23:21:31 »
For older sci-fi anime don't forget Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (Crunchyroll and Netflix). I found the setting and the backstory to be very interesting. Gurren Lagann was good, though it did go a bit "out there" toward the end it is still worth the ride even if by the end the story gets a bit corny.

Gargantia was a good show, but it really felt like they copped out on the ending.  They had a great potential build-up, but squandered it with an entirely too obvious plot-twist.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

kato

• Captain
« Reply #273 on: 27 September 2017, 23:41:04 »
Calling Gargantia "old" makes me feel even older.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #274 on: 28 September 2017, 01:51:48 »
well crap I thought it was older than it actually is.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #275 on: 28 September 2017, 05:23:04 »
http://screenrant.com/your-name-live-action-movie-anime-jj-abrams/

Dear god no please

I've come to the conclusion that JJ Abrams is a self-loathing nerd on a personal mission to destroy everything nerds love in a vain attempt to return to normie-dom.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #276 on: 28 September 2017, 10:35:04 »
I just started re-watching Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple on Hulu recently.  It holds up well to repeat viewing, and I'm enjoying it the second time through. 
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #277 on: 28 September 2017, 17:54:54 »
A large segment of the population (of Western audiences especially) does not view any animation as "dramatic entertainment".  Animation is considered to be for kids.   So Hollywood is looking at it and going "this is a great story, and it would require very little adaptation to localize it to a Western location and to make it as live action with a little bit of special effects".  They see dollar signs, and they may be correct.

That does make some sense.  I can't see the story working as well in a western location though.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #278 on: 29 September 2017, 13:08:55 »

Made in Abyss sure hits hard in the feels, here is to hoping for a second season.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

kato

• Captain
« Reply #279 on: 29 September 2017, 14:45:48 »
Made in Abyss sure hits hard in the feels
I could have done without that really...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #280 on: 29 September 2017, 21:46:31 »
Knight’s & Magic Episodes 12th - 13th

So the final arc comes to it's climax, the Ernie finally runs into the final boss if you were to put this in gaming terms.
The genius Duke of Zaloudek, Oratio, perfect's his final weapon to Erne's demon of a Sil Knight, the flying dragon shape of air battleship Vyver. A giant magic robot ship, which is powered by Oratio's combination of engines.  The Drake shaped ship gives Ernie and his Knights run for his money in episode 12. 

I won't go into it further since spoiler function here doesn't work anymore.  I can say, though Ernie is bit of bit over powered man and his magic mech, the show was entertaining to the end.  I honestly didn't think there was 13th episode, which was gave the story little more leg room tell a good ending to war of magic mech knights and a boy wonder leading the way.  The series doesn't look like there going be anything i can see beyond the 13th episode.  It does hint there story for a other time, but i think the animators wrapped up things well and gave us good action pack ending.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #281 on: 29 September 2017, 22:01:19 »

Made in Abyss sure hits hard in the feels, here is to hoping for a second season.
I think it's the character design - horrible things happening to young, cute characters is quite a lot worse than it happening to a character that is adult.

And the story. Damn, that hurt. According to my wife, "Old Yeller, if the dog were once a child brutalized by mad science. THIS IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR."

Which is better, Princess Principal or Made in Abyss?

I... Made in Abyss. It made me laugh, it made me excited, it made me cry, it made me WANT MORE. Princess Principal is good. Made in Abyss is classic.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #282 on: 30 September 2017, 14:29:49 »
Finally got to see the second half of Gurren Lagann.

FRAK. I don't fricking want the punch at the ending....
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #283 on: 30 September 2017, 17:41:25 »
It is a very Bitter sweet ending....

But still the number 1 anime ever created :P
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #284 on: 30 September 2017, 19:27:32 »
Knight’s & Magic Episodes 12th - 13th
*snip*

The series doesn't look like there going be anything i can see beyond the 13th episode.  It does hint there story for a other time, but i think the animators wrapped up things well and gave us good action pack ending.

Not sure how much has been written after that point... From a translated copy I am reading I am still waiting for the other half of the showdown to finish, but as they changed how the fight actually happens I don't have to worry about the anime spoiling it. They really could have split this into two seasons and I wish they would have. Still enjoyed the anime and hope they can get another seasons worth of material to make it.. But that might mean pushing the author to write like crazy to tell a new story.

The K&M manga on CR is taking too long though... They need to hurry up and put more new chapters up.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #285 on: 01 October 2017, 10:31:39 »
It is a very Bitter sweet ending....

But still the number 1 anime ever created :P
Here's a thought for you;
Replace Spin with Life and Anti-Spin with Anti-Life. Then look at Life as the agent of Entropy of Universe. And you start to understand the motivation for the ultimate antagonist of that series much better.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

kato

• Captain
« Reply #286 on: 01 October 2017, 11:42:54 »
I... Made in Abyss. It made me laugh, it made me excited, it made me cry, it made me WANT MORE.
Eh, i'm kinda glad they ended it where they did. On a bitter positive note of sorts. Because based on the manga the Heart of Darkness journey from here on out hits full home with their Kurtz-meets-Mengele imitation.

(on a side note, didn't this forum have a spoiler function for text?)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #287 on: 01 October 2017, 12:06:43 »
Quote from: pheonixstorm
manga on CR is taking too long though... They need to hurry up and put more new chapters up.
No kidding. I hope the anime stimulates sales.
Alot of times thats what makes or breaks manga. Waiting to see if there pick up tge sales.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2017, 15:15:04 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #288 on: 01 October 2017, 12:25:24 »
Eh, i'm kinda glad they ended it where they did. On a bitter positive note of sorts. Because based on the manga the Heart of Darkness journey from here on out hits full home with their Kurtz-meets-Mengele imitation.

(on a side note, didn't this forum have a spoiler function for text?)
It used to, and now it's broken.

Isn't the reason Made in Abyss also ended where it did because this is where the manga is, just about - it may be slightly ahead, I'm not sure?

Has anyone else noticed that trend lately that an anime adaptation ends when there isn't any more source material instead of fillering the filler until you just fill to filling up? That could well be because of the new 13-episode 'standard' (no reason to cram and fill if you're not contractually desperate!), and could well be because anime is also seen as an advert for the manga/LN, but I'd like to think that it's also because of some respect for the source material as well, considering how filler has mangled things in the past.

On the other hand, my favorite episodes of the Naruto anime WERE the filler because we got to see more of the non-Kakashi squad characters, who are FAR more interesting. Never really got into Shippouden though.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #289 on: 01 October 2017, 14:19:49 »
Isn't the reason Made in Abyss also ended where it did because this is where the manga is, just about - it may be slightly ahead, I'm not sure?
The manga went on a hiatus this summer as the mangaka was involved with the anime production apparently.

The anime ended around chapter 26 (at 2 chapters per episode), while the manga is at chapter 42. So, basically not enough for a second season yet, but with ongoing manga publishing could have continued for a second season at which end it would have caught up. Storyline-wise, the chapters of the manga not adapted so far tell the rest of the 5th layer plus the story on the 6th layer.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #290 on: 01 October 2017, 15:18:59 »
Someone claimed M&K was suppose to be full 2nd season coming. He was greatly mistaken given how episode 13 went down.

I also saw Mobile Suit Gundam Origins - Episode IV
Just wow, if you wanted clear picture how and why Zabi family controlled Principality of Zeon was evil.  Through and through worse thing decision to do.  No care for any spacenoids or Feds alike.  It was pretty bad.
Action was good, but it was not easy to watch.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #291 on: 02 October 2017, 19:58:11 »
Girls Last Tour is launching this month.

Trailer

It literally is a post-apocalyptic/slice-of-life story two girls puttering around the ruins of post-war civilization on a kettenkrad scrounging for supplies to keep themselves alive and their track-bike fueled. I'm a fan of the manga myself, I'm sort of waiting to see if they manage to nail the surreal melancholy of the series premise with the isolation and all that ruined architecture that made the series so ephemeral and unique.

« Last Edit: 02 October 2017, 20:12:12 by Dies Irae »

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #292 on: 02 October 2017, 20:01:09 »
Live action SAO inbound... Ugh.

http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/live-action-sword-art-online-showrunners/

Can we not do these live actions? Every time I see another franchise get one I die a little inside because I know that this is the start of a wave of them. It's hard to put into words how I feel about it... My hope is that they release enough flops (See Ghost in the Shell) that they look elsewhere other than anime to find material to harvest.
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #293 on: 02 October 2017, 20:15:37 »
Well, Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul finally ended.

First half was good, but the show really got bogged down by Nina's love life and the fact that she really didn't have much connection to the actual plot.  Or the fact that the Chariose's plan for killing Bahamut made no sense.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #294 on: 02 October 2017, 20:44:28 »
Girls Last Tour is launching this month.

Trailer

It literally is a post-apocalyptic/slice-of-life story two girls puttering around the ruins of post-war civilization on a kettenkrad scrounging for supplies to keep themselves alive and their track-bike fueled. I'm a fan of the manga myself, I'm sort of waiting to see if they manage to nail the surreal melancholy of the series premise with the isolation and all that ruined architecture that made the series so ephemeral and unique.

I normally wait for shows to get released on blu ray so I can binge watch in English, but I may be making an exception for this one.  Do we know what service may have it yet?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #295 on: 02 October 2017, 22:34:17 »
Live action SAO inbound... Ugh.

http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/live-action-sword-art-online-showrunners/

Can we not do these live actions? Every time I see another franchise get one I die a little inside because I know that this is the start of a wave of them. It's hard to put into words how I feel about it... My hope is that they release enough flops (See Ghost in the Shell) that they look elsewhere other than anime to find material to harvest.

The only actual hope I have for a live-action SAO is if it follows more the SAO:Progressive route.
Otherwise, yea, I don't really think we need a live-action version. Considering the Alicization arc is gonna be animated, we're gonna get the closing out of the SAO material, for the most part.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2017, 22:36:38 by Tymers Realm »

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #296 on: 03 October 2017, 09:02:23 »
I normally wait for shows to get released on blu ray so I can binge watch in English, but I may be making an exception for this one.  Do we know what service may have it yet?

Supposedly Sentai picked this up, so it might be on Anime Strike.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #297 on: 03 October 2017, 11:02:11 »
Supposedly Sentai picked this up, so it might be on Anime Strike.

Only used crunchyroll and funimation so far. Anime Strike have a free option?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #298 on: 03 October 2017, 11:34:23 »
Anime Strike is an Amazon Prime premium channel, so no, you've got to subscribe.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #299 on: 03 October 2017, 12:42:34 »
Anime Strike is an Amazon Prime premium channel, so no, you've got to subscribe.
Basically, you have to be a Amazon Prime Member first, and then subscribe to Anime Strike on top of that.
Also, I believe, Anime Strike is a US only kind of service.

And speaking of that, ANN has Anime Strike's Fall line-up. And yes, Girls' Last Tour is on Anime Strike.

Register