Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 164578 times)

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #690 on: 27 December 2017, 14:28:21 »
pretty much any MWAM OPs are decent.
Database, Raise Your Flag, My Hero...
But then again, I've enjoyed some of their non-anime stuff as well.

I also like the OPs for Dimension W & Gangsta which were done by Stereo Dive Foundation (Genesis & Renegade respected).

But speaking on just OPs, I'd have to say the actual OP for Princess Principal rocks all the way around.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #691 on: 27 December 2017, 14:40:01 »
Having not kept up on a lot of anime, I'm curious if there are any others that have catchy openings and closings from sometime after Bleach started airing in the US.
I don't know about Bleach in US (I'm from Finland, Prkl!). Mobile Suit GUNDAM Iron Blooded Orphans has a very good one. "Raise your flag..."

First Da Capo anime also has a good one.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #692 on: 27 December 2017, 16:31:08 »
It would really depend on WHAT you are looking for. I have found several I like or are just rather catchy. The opening for Ancient Magus Bride is pretty good as was the opening for Recovery of a MMO Junkie(?). Some of last seasons were pretty good as well depending on your taste.

The opening for Gate (1st and 2nd season) was also pretty good imo and can be found on youtube as well as another opener by the same group. I think it was Strike the Blood.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #693 on: 27 December 2017, 16:47:42 »
The opening for Gate (1st and 2nd season) was also pretty good imo and can be found on youtube as well as another opener by the same group. I think it was Strike the Blood.

They also did the OP for Highschool of the Dead.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #694 on: 27 December 2017, 17:33:19 »
Haven't seen it and didn't notice it in any of their videos. Know the song?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #695 on: 27 December 2017, 17:47:31 »
I'm a fan of monthly shoujo nozaki kun's opening and closing.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #696 on: 27 December 2017, 17:50:11 »
Haven't seen it and didn't notice it in any of their videos. Know the song?

While I just searched youtube under 'hotd op', here's the band, Kishida Kyoudan & the Akeboshi Rockets, preforming it live. I'd include a link to the OP itself, but there's a couple of questionable shots that I don't wish to risk mod action.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #697 on: 27 December 2017, 22:52:00 »
Watching 7 Deadly Sins, and I have to admit that I like some of the opening and closing themes, especially the Man on a Mission one from the second half of the first season.

Having not kept up on a lot of anime, I'm curious if there are any others that have catchy openings and closings from sometime after Bleach started airing in the US.
Are you talking J-pop or J-rock? Because Bleach leans more towards the latter, and while there have been a few good ones, like the first Kill La Kill opener, or Makasete Tonight from Kore wa Zombie, my own taste leans towards the latter from anime so I'm not sure I can speak for what would grab you...

Both of those are excellent anime btw, if you haven't kept on stuff from the past decade or so.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #698 on: 27 December 2017, 22:57:32 »
Watching 7 Deadly Sins, and I have to admit that I like some of the opening and closing themes, especially the Man on a Mission one from the second half of the first season.

Season 1 Attack on Titan
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #699 on: 28 December 2017, 08:54:21 »
I personally like both Tokyo Ravens ("X-encounter" by Maon Kurosaki ) and Strike the Blood's openings myself.
Early 2010s was good year for opening (and anime) before things started getting budgeted to death. 

We still got good shows in 2017 but not as good they could have been if they had better staff and being better funded.

Next season has some stuff coming up that looks like i will give it a go. I didn't include everything coming out.

Television wise
  • Black Clover - Magic Fantasy
  • Seven Deadly Sins (returns, not sure if it's series or ova)
  • Overlord II
  • Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku -  A guy sent to fantasy world sort thing.  Still looks promising
  • Grancrest Senki - Fantasy Action
  • Beatless - Scifi / Action - Androids become part everyday life by 2105. Story centers around a boy who suddenly find himself with androids going crazy and he trying save his friend, hiE  (female android)
  • Dagashi Kashi 2 - Comedy - Candy crazy crew returns for second season.
  • Darling in the FranXX - Scifi-Mecha

Alot old favorites are coming back as films, Full Metal Panic's first season is done in 3 movies Director's cut...but i'm not sure what to make of that.  Code Geass is getting couple films as well.  Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions movie is also coming out in January.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #700 on: 28 December 2017, 12:41:19 »
iirc Seven Deadly Sins is getting an actual season not an OVA. What netflix has listed as a 2nd season was the ova I believe.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #701 on: 28 December 2017, 12:50:07 »
It was an OVA and it was largely filler.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #702 on: 29 December 2017, 01:54:50 »
Are you talking J-pop or J-rock?

Consdering I've encountered both in a lot of different titles, for instance the mixed range for Naruto, or Gundam SEED and Destiny, I like both.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #703 on: 31 December 2017, 01:13:22 »
Key art for Full Metal Panic - Invisible Victory

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #704 on: 31 December 2017, 12:31:16 »
Soooooo preeeetttty

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #705 on: 03 January 2018, 14:48:38 »
It was an OVA and it was largely filler.

Having watched Signs of Holy War, while I can see filler elements, there was a lot of important stuff that happened in those four eps that seem to set up the next season.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #706 on: 04 January 2018, 12:37:05 »
Was retro watching, and found old anime i hadn't seen before. Spirit of Wonder: Scientific Boys Club
This is a 2001 exploration / comedy / scifi ova, which was something of boys club who's ambitions was to explore Mars who actually explored Mars before anyone realized.

Pretty well done, and amusing.  I recommend it if you want see something completely different.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2018, 12:48:51 by Wrangler »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #707 on: 05 January 2018, 03:08:56 »
Been binge-watching Black Lagoon the last couple of days.  Watched both seasons, going to watch Roberta's Blood Trail tomorrow.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #708 on: 05 January 2018, 06:57:43 »
Black lagoon is always a fun experience
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #709 on: 05 January 2018, 10:26:35 »
Most assuredly it is.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #710 on: 05 January 2018, 12:30:39 »
I'm still trying to figure out how it made it onto Cartoon Network without being censored down to about ten minutes per episode, though.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #711 on: 05 January 2018, 13:28:44 »
Put it on Adult Swim. Looser standards.

In other news, grave dancing time.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/01/05/amazon-closes-anime-strike-subscription-streaming-service

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #713 on: 05 January 2018, 13:36:58 »
Put it on Adult Swim. Looser standards.

No, I mean that it actually was broadcast back in 2014.  And even being shown at 2 in the morning on Toonami, they still had to censor out so much of Revy's dialog that her VA might as well not have been credited until the third episode, there were plenty of hand gestures that couldn't be shown... overall it was pretty amazing they got it on the air.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #714 on: 05 January 2018, 13:38:17 »
Yay to the death of the double paywall...

Yeah, they really didn't have enough content to justify the extra subscription.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #715 on: 05 January 2018, 14:47:04 »
Anime Now has shut down as well, it apparently was the sister site to Anime News Network...

Lordy, i hope that doesn't turn out to be a sign how well the anime industry is doing...

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #716 on: 05 January 2018, 15:09:56 »
Anime Now was nothing more than a re-direct site to sites holding legitimate streaming licenses.

Building a site with no other draw than verificstion of the legality of a stream-source & expecting fans to make regular use of it was the epitome of arthritic Japanese corporate thinking. Nothing of value has been lost in Anime Now or Anime Strike.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #717 on: 06 January 2018, 06:35:57 »
Like a good food anime, but I think Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles may be eliminated from my que fairly quick. It just comes off as a giant ramen education skit. And it makes me hungry for ramen.. which makes it even worse.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #718 on: 06 January 2018, 06:43:08 »
Like a good food anime, but I think Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles may be eliminated from my que fairly quick. It just comes off as a giant ramen education skit. And it makes me hungry for ramen.. which makes it even worse.
Those freeze-dried ramen packs are not same as the ramen soups prepared by the restaurant. We have a ramen restaurant in town though :)
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #719 on: 06 January 2018, 13:58:39 »
Anime Now has shut down as well, it apparently was the sister site to Anime News Network...

Lordy, i hope that doesn't turn out to be a sign how well the anime industry is doing...
DAISUKI also went under some months ago. Anime is doing well enough, there is just too much congestion for both # of anime and the streaming sites. I applaud to Crunchyroll and Funimation for sharing (some of) their anime with each others. And I believe some anime of those 2 sites have also made it to Steam.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Register