Author Topic: 'Mech chassis & repairs-parts compatibility lists  (Read 3851 times)

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
'Mech chassis & repairs-parts compatibility lists
« on: 09 May 2016, 14:33:24 »
We know the Rakshasa was built by using a modified Marauder chassis.
I've read of several other units that share the same chassis, though I can't think of anything off the top of my mind.

Does anyone know if a hardware compatibility list exists to show / cross-link mfg's components?

Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: 'Mech chassis & repairs-parts compatibility lists
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2016, 19:30:18 »
We know the Rakshasa was built by using a modified Marauder chassis.
I've read of several other units that share the same chassis, though I can't think of anything off the top of my mind.

Does anyone know if a hardware compatibility list exists to show / cross-link mfg's components?
to the best of my knowledge the closest thing to exist would be something like the objective raids book, and the fan work update of it.

for instance a 3025 marauder uses magna hellstar ppc's and martel medium lasers, and if its the 3R it also has a GM whirlwind ac 5.  all of which are used on other units.
the standard 300 engine is a Vlar although it is theoretically possible that other brand versions of that exist as well.

to be honest in a lot of ways I have at various points wanted to come up with something like the Querk system and apply it to more than just unit chassis with some actual positive and negative features for different brands of equipment.  for instance maybe magna hellstar ppc's ACTUALLY only weigh 6 tons and generate 8 heat for 12 damage if certain star league components are used, however in practice they have a 1 ton and 1 crit plasma generator attached to them (in the marauders configuration) that itself generates 2 heat, and can't generate plasma fast enough so they only do 10 damage per shot. wheras the Donal ppc used on the warhammer has a slightly longer effective range, at the expense of an extra hex or 2 of minimum range.

LordVanquish

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2016, 11:21:51 »
That exact thing is something that always bugged me, the fact that you could use the same "35t right arm" structure to replace the arm of a Jenner and of a wolfhound despite their designs being so vastly different. It would add a great deal of realism if there were some mechs with identical or nearly identical limbs/torsos so you could use the same spare parts and for others you would have to carry extra stuff, because the designs are too different.

And about Weapons form different manufacturers having different stats, i really like that idea. Lets try it with the AC/2 because there are only 4 models:

Imperator Smoothie-2:

Has extremely precise rangefinder and recoil handling and is therefore more precise than the competitor models, but also bigger and slower to aim, which is a disadvantage at closer ranges.

Stats: 1 more crit slot, minimum range of 6, other ranges are 9 - 18 - 27

Mydron D:

Fast tracking, minimum range reduced to 2. Also easy to repair ( +2 to maintenance checks)

Zeus Bolt:

Has the capability to be rapidfired, when doing so it deals 3 damage, genreates double heat, uses 2 ammo and has +1 to hit.

Whirlwind:

Instead of focusing fire on a single point, this weapon spreads its shells over a larger area, which makes enemies easier to hit, but it eats through ammunition faster, is heavier and less precise than its competitors.

Stats: same minimum range, other ranges: 7-14-21, half a ton heavier, always uses 2 ammo, -1 to hit.

Those are just some examples that i could think of the top of my head, probably not very balanced.
Would someone be interested in weaponprofiles for every weapon?

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2016, 09:05:19 »
That exact thing is something that always bugged me, the fact that you could use the same "35t right arm" structure to replace the arm of a Jenner and of a wolfhound despite their designs being so vastly different. It would add a great deal of realism if there were some mechs with identical or nearly identical limbs/torsos so you could use the same spare parts and for others you would have to carry extra stuff, because the designs are too different.

My understanding is that while the chassis may look similar, the structural members and fittings will be standardised. Hence a 35T mech's arm can provide just about the right amount of members and myomer muscles to rebuild the arm of another mech of similar tonnage without having too much excess.