Poll

If you could build and deploy only one of the IS designed omnimechs in your forces, which would it be?

Raptor
Arctic Fox
Owens
Strider
Firestarter
Blackjack
Men Shen
Black Hawk-KU
Perseus
Templar
Sunder
Hauptman

Author Topic: If you could build only one omnimech ...  (Read 19900 times)

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
If you could build only one omnimech ...
« on: 09 February 2011, 08:43:56 »
I'm curious what people's preferences are after reading the comments on various designs in the ongoing "fate of omnimechs" debate.  When you vote, if your reason tied to anything beyond just your preference for the specific mech (i.e., your faction of choice and their current inventory of equipment) please explain.  I'm leaving the Celestials out due to their WoB exclusivity.  I also left off "none of the above" on purpose.

Cheers,
LCC

PS I also started a thread in the design forum for people to post their ideal base omnimech, if none of them really fit the bill.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2011, 08:46:36 by LastChanceCav »
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: If you could build only one omnimech ...
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2011, 09:27:09 »
Avatar, followed by the Hauptmann if I could get two.  The Avatar's armor isn't bad, the pod space and crit openness is great, and it can make a solid stab at replacing most of your classic 4/6 heavy BattleMechs by the use of sensible configurations while offering some options they can't manage as readily.  The Hauptmann offers similar options for classic assault 'Mech jobs but I'd rather have the flexibility in my traditional heavy forces.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2011, 09:56:44 »
Since the woodsman was not an option :P

Templar has mobility and a decent frame.  some of the criticals make it difficult to work with but if the thing can mount a gauss rifle I think it is open enough.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2011, 09:58:23 »
Hauptmann. Cheap and as flexible as it gets. Oh and it blows stuff up. Quickly.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2011, 10:06:11 »
Blackhawk-KU. I can definitely see the arguments for the Avatar and Hauptmann, but if I only get one, I'd prefer one light enough to perform virtually any role successfully. The Black Hawk has the combination of size and speed to play armed recon, trooper, cavalry, and strike roles all very well. It might not have the straight fighting capability of the other two, but it will be more versatile, which is what an Omni, especially your only omni, needs to be.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

Aajav-Khan

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2011, 10:09:33 »
 Avatar. Hauptmann would be the secondary choice. Avatar is not saddled with crappy fixed equipment like many other IS "Omnimechs" ( medium lasers are never crap ).

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2011, 10:16:12 »
Avatar. Hauptmann would be the secondary choice. Avatar is not saddled with crappy fixed equipment like many other IS "Omnimechs" ( medium lasers are never crap ).

But the Hauptmann is?
« Last Edit: 09 February 2011, 10:24:30 by ABADDON »

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2011, 10:23:39 »
Blackhawk-KU. I can definitely see the arguments for the Avatar and Hauptmann, but if I only get one, I'd prefer one light enough to perform virtually any role successfully. The Black Hawk has the combination of size and speed to play armed recon, trooper, cavalry, and strike roles all very well. It might not have the straight fighting capability of the other two, but it will be more versatile, which is what an Omni, especially your only omni, needs to be.

That Black Hawk-KU was going to be my number 3 pick, although it's only barely behind the Hauptmann.  To me, the sheer flexibility of the other two (and the breadth of machines they can replace in one go) is more useful.  Some of the jobs the Black Hawk-KU does I really prefer to hand to a faster, more mobile chassis in this day and age while a lot of the big mediums are solid enough in design that the OmniMech really doesn't bring enough to displace the Avatar for the purposes of being my only OmniMech.  But if I can branch out from one Omni, it's near the top of the list.

But the Hauptmann is?

Lyran 95 ton 3/5 SFE heavily armored Omni with no endo-steel, no ferro-fibrous, CASE in the right torso, 11 DHS in the engine, and 43 tons of pod space.

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2011, 10:26:35 »
I'm aware of the Hauptmann's key data. ;) thx anyway.
But I for one wouldn't refer to '+1 DHS and Case' as crappy. But maybe that's just me. So if that's his only reason for choosing the Avatar over the Hauptmann...

« Last Edit: 09 February 2011, 10:30:13 by ABADDON »

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 09 February 2011, 10:31:37 »
Okay, wasn't sure what you were asking about there.

In terms of fixed equipment, I think we're all mainly circling around the Owens and its 3.5 tons of electronics.  The Hauptmann, in terms of fixed equipment, kind of falls off the radar since it's not weapons or electronics, it's a freezer in the engine and CASE.  Filling your engine with freezers is rarely a bad idea.  CASE is also not a bad idea in a lot of cases since, like the Avatar's lasers, it's probably going to wind up on a lot of configurations anyway.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2011, 11:17:21 »
The Firestarter.  No one would see it coming.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 09 February 2011, 11:18:26 »
That Black Hawk-KU was going to be my number 3 pick, although it's only barely behind the Hauptmann.  To me, the sheer flexibility of the other two (and the breadth of machines they can replace in one go) is more useful.  Some of the jobs the Black Hawk-KU does I really prefer to hand to a faster, more mobile chassis in this day and age while a lot of the big mediums are solid enough in design that the OmniMech really doesn't bring enough to displace the Avatar for the purposes of being my only OmniMech.  But if I can branch out from one Omni, it's near the top of the list.

And I can definitely understand the reasoning. The Hauptmann is great for replacing your entire Assault force, but by and large, Assault mechs only really fill a handful of functional categories by design, though exceptions do exist. The Avatar, on the other hand, while technically an assault is essentially an excellent high-end heavy. I would justify it more than the Hauptmann on my list. Both excellent mechs, but one more versatile. The Black Hawk, however, I feel could more easily slot into more potential lances and company types than could either. It's an excellent mech for faster cavalry formations, flanking in larger heavy and small end assault formations, spotting for fire support formations, etc. It's a difference of degrees, but enough to give it the edge for me.

In terms of fixed equipment, I think we're all mainly circling around the Owens and its 3.5 tons of electronics.  The Hauptmann, in terms of fixed equipment, kind of falls off the radar since it's not weapons or electronics, it's a freezer in the engine and CASE.  Filling your engine with freezers is rarely a bad idea.  CASE is also not a bad idea in a lot of cases since, like the Avatar's lasers, it's probably going to wind up on a lot of configurations anyway.

Amen. Any unneccesary fixed equipment is a negative on an Omni, but the Hauptmann is among the least offensive designs in this fashion that exists in CBT. As you said, a DHS that takes up no crits is never a problem, and CASE is handy in most designs, even if it's a wasted half ton on the occasional flashbulb.

The Firestarter.  No one would see it coming.
Not even your own pilots  :D

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #12 on: 09 February 2011, 12:04:03 »
Not even your own pilots  :D

That's officer thinking right there!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Bowman

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 09 February 2011, 12:11:42 »
Templar.

Out of all of the 4/6 mechs, this one has the most free tonnage and still has a reasonable amount of free crits. Its armor may be the second highest and it has an XL, but the 4/6 movement profile is more attractive than the Hauptmanns' 3/5.

If there were more free tons in the Blackhaw I would have picked the KU, but 17 tons is too little to play with even for a heavy cavalry mech.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 09 February 2011, 12:21:22 »
I'm an assault mech guy so I'll take the pure assault, the Hauptmann.  The Templar would probably be my second choice.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2011, 12:26:39 »
It's my name, the Stormcrow, followed by the Summoner

EDIT: Thisis what happens when I don't read from the beginning. I chose the Avatar
« Last Edit: 09 February 2011, 14:05:46 by Stormcrow »
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 09 February 2011, 12:40:02 »
And I can definitely understand the reasoning. The Hauptmann is great for replacing your entire Assault force, but by and large, Assault mechs only really fill a handful of functional categories by design, though exceptions do exist. The Avatar, on the other hand, while technically an assault is essentially an excellent high-end heavy. I would justify it more than the Hauptmann on my list. Both excellent mechs, but one more versatile. The Black Hawk, however, I feel could more easily slot into more potential lances and company types than could either. It's an excellent mech for faster cavalry formations, flanking in larger heavy and small end assault formations, spotting for fire support formations, etc. It's a difference of degrees, but enough to give it the edge for me.

I'm not looking at slotting an Avatar into anything.  I'm looking at taking the thing and churning it out in staggering numbers to outright replace my 4/6 heavies in front line forces.  The effect of its potential seems to be greater given that the Black Hawk-KU isn't really a perfect fit for some of the jobs I'd want to do with it as my singular OmniMech.

Amen. Any unneccesary fixed equipment is a negative on an Omni, but the Hauptmann is among the least offensive designs in this fashion that exists in CBT. As you said, a DHS that takes up no crits is never a problem, and CASE is handy in most designs, even if it's a wasted half ton on the occasional flashbulb.

Actually, filling the engine's capacity for heat sinks is generally a good practice in designs with plenty of tonnage free, especially assaults, which tend to run into crit problems anyway.  There are very occasionally configurations where that's not helpful... but that's not very common.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2011, 12:49:14 by Moonsword »

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2011, 13:00:25 »
There are very occasionally configurations where that's not helpful...

Jup, those involving really big boomsticks, sometimes also known as double Gauss or double Heavy Gauss.  :P

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2011, 13:04:14 »
Jup, those involving really big boomsticks, sometimes also known as double Gauss or double Heavy Gauss.  :P

Even then, I can usually cram enough lasers on as backups on a lot of configurations to make use of the freezers.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2011, 13:06:59 »
Its the Blackjack for me, if there was a second choice it'd be the Black Hawk-KU.

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 09 February 2011, 13:09:52 »
Even then, I can usually cram enough lasers on as backups on a lot of configurations to make use of the freezers.

Well, that might get difficult with a double Heavy Gauss config, depending on the mech. Though I agree, it would presumably be close to impossible to waste the bigger part of such mech's heat dissipation potential. Even if one or two DHSs are wasted, I think such specific case inefficeny is negligible compared to the advantages it brings for laser/ppc based configs, which often would be impossible without those engine fixed sinks.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2011, 13:14:35 by ABADDON »

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 09 February 2011, 13:14:50 »
I'm not looking at slotting an Avatar into anything.  I'm looking at taking the thing and churning it out in staggering numbers to outright replace my 4/6 heavies in front line forces.  The effect of its potential seems to be greater given that the Black Hawk-KU isn't really a perfect fit for some of the jobs I'd want to do with it as my singular OmniMech.

Manuever warfare. I tend to prefer a relatively mobile line force. Heavier and slower designs for special purposes or heavy combat. But the baseline force I prefer to use are high-end mediums and mobile heavies. Simply a personal preference.

Well, that might get difficult with a double Heavy Gauss config, depending on the mech. Though I agree, it would presumably be close to impossible to waste the bigger part of such mech's heat dissipation potential. Even if one or two DHSs are wasted, I think that disadvantage is negligible compared to the advantages it brings for laser/ppc based configs, which would be impossible without those engine fixed sinks.

Yeah a big problem here is what the hell else you do with those extra couple of tons. There's not much you can add that won't either increase the heat or take up too many crits. And what you can add is of arguable utility. An extra heat sink or two can help cover things such as engine hits, hot planetary conditions, heat weapons, etc. Never hurts for what you spend.

topcat

• Corporal
  • Blake save us from combined yawns... err, arms!
« Reply #22 on: 09 February 2011, 13:28:29 »
Hauptmann, no question.  The base is cheap, versatile, and well-designed.  Heavy and slow?  Sure, but I'll take that trade.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #23 on: 09 February 2011, 13:41:02 »
Most of my mech forces are going to be Medium mechs.  If I could only use one Omni, I'd want something that would fit with them, and not be a bear to produce.  Hence, why I chose the Blackhawk-KU.

Beyond the XL engine, it doesnt have any advanced materials in it.  I wish it didnt have the build in JJs, but it's still a nice, workhorse Omnimech. 

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 09 February 2011, 13:56:56 »
What? No option for the Battle Cobra (C*-built)?!

Well, I guess I'll just have to go Black Hawk-KU then. :P

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to 'Mech House!
« Reply #25 on: 09 February 2011, 14:34:53 »
The templat just looks cooler.  The Hauptmann, while it has that "cigar," it's just, visually, not my cup of tea.
Save the Humans.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 09 February 2011, 14:36:42 »
The templat just looks cooler.  The Hauptmann, while it has that "cigar," it's just, visually, not my cup of tea.

You mean a Daishi crossed with an Orc crossed with a USMC Drill Sargent doesn't do it for you?

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 09 February 2011, 14:38:33 »
Black Hawk KU, with the Men Shen coming in a close second. Medium weight Omnis offer the most flexibility, I think. And flexibility is what Omnis should be about.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 09 February 2011, 15:12:39 »
The Black Hawk-KU is a heavy OmniMech... 60-tons, remember?
The Draconis Combine could have made it a 50-ton design, but they don't like mediums, so we made it a heavy instead.
(Do the math, a 1-on-1 Clan/IS conversion of the Nova is possible, although at the cost of 6 crits.)

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

Reaver

• Warrant Officer
  • 10 XP from 2nd level commoner
« Reply #29 on: 09 February 2011, 16:19:34 »
As a fervent cavalry-man, I have to put a word in for the Men Shen.  The pod space is a little light and it tends to run hot, but if you're picking one mech, why not pick a mech that could do genuine recon and stand and deliver in a pitched battle.  About the only thing it can't be expected to do is solo a mech 25 tons heavier, but no mech really can.

I would say Templar second and Firestarter third.  Hauptmann is one of the best purely-designed omnis, but its a walking pillbox.  I like the Black Hawk, but the hard truth of the matter is that it has a lot of flaws as an omni that detract from me picking it over the Men Shen.
The Federated Suns.  Exporting freedom, whether we have it or not, whether you want it or not.
--Pyro