Author Topic: The New Free Worlds League: Thread Title Deadlocked in Committee  (Read 146755 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Old thread hit 50 pages, new thread is necessary.  I'm accepting alternate ideas for thread titles, but let's get this one started. :D
« Last Edit: 24 September 2018, 19:56:37 by Scotty »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Re: The New Free Worlds League: Now Capable of Winning!
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2018, 15:39:09 »
United, We Fall. Divided, We Stand.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2018, 17:57:04 »
"Like a Phoenix, but purple."
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2018, 18:03:59 »
United, We Fall. Divided, We Stand.

Seconded.  I think this is gonna be hard to top.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

chaosxtreme

• Master Sergeant
  • A Nation Ruled by Law's not Lord's
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2018, 19:09:15 »

I can get behind this.
A Nation Ruled by Law's not Lord's

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2018, 20:03:05 »

I also like this one.

Good news: if something better comes up in the next 50 pages, I'll change it again.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: The New Free Worlds League: Like a Phoenix, but Purple
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2018, 21:17:04 »
So, all this talk about mechs with AS . . . what about the League's armor heavy armor?  Ontos flavors, Merkava Mk IX, and the awesome Moltke?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2018, 21:19:08 »
Signing in!

So does anyone have a good general summary of events in Shattered Sphere that we can use to properly kick this thread off?  I've been reading bits and pieces but I'm (ironically, with this thread title) prepping for a move OUT of Phoenix so I haven't had much time to really sit down and read.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2018, 04:54:27 »
Signing in!

So does anyone have a good general summary of events in Shattered Sphere that we can use to properly kick this thread off?  I've been reading bits and pieces but I'm (ironically, with this thread title) prepping for a move OUT of Phoenix so I haven't had much time to really sit down and read.

We are back (Regulus is again part of League) but as always little fractures appear (beating of Marians against parliament wish).
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2018, 05:43:59 »
I also like this one.

Good news: if something better comes up in the next 50 pages, I'll change it again.
Better already happened in the first reply. [/digruntlement]
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2018, 09:12:04 »

Clearly we need to secede and start our OWN FWL thread, with its OWN Captain-General!

...wait...
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2018, 09:15:13 »
Secession is an answer, but is it the only one? Wait. Who am I kidding? Of course it is.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2018, 11:54:29 »
We are back (Regulus is again part of League) but as always little fractures appear (beating of Marians against parliament wish).

Have I mentioned how happy I am that the "dysfunction" in the modern FWL is when one of its member-states goes on an unauthorized ass-kicking spree against a foreign hostile power?

If we were still stuck in the Jihad, absolutely.  As is I don't really think it applies*.

*pending IlClan.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2018, 11:58:09 »
I notice Alpha Strike is much kinder to vehicles, too. They're still very vulnerable, but I no longer realistically expect them to get immobilized from the tiniest damage. It CAN still happen, but it's not as common as it was in Total Warfare.

So, here's a sadistic choice: You're able to have only a Mad Cat Mk. II Standard or a Mad Cat Mk. IV B in your force. Which one gets the nod, and why?

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2018, 12:38:29 »
Have I mentioned how happy I am that the "dysfunction" in the modern FWL is when one of its member-states goes on an unauthorized ass-kicking spree against a foreign hostile power?

Marians had it coming. They decided that they are that good that they can wage a two-front war. Fontaine isn't an idiot and exploited it. For that, he is currently my favourite member-state leader. Nikol as captain-general is doing a miserable job.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2018, 12:47:51 »
Marians had it coming. They decided that they are that good that they can wage a two-front war. Fontaine isn't an idiot and exploited it. For that, he is currently my favourite member-state leader. Nikol as captain-general is doing a miserable job.
incompetence? From MY Captain-General? It’s more likely than you think.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2018, 13:24:51 »
I notice Alpha Strike is much kinder to vehicles, too. They're still very vulnerable, but I no longer realistically expect them to get immobilized from the tiniest damage. It CAN still happen, but it's not as common as it was in Total Warfare.

So, here's a sadistic choice: You're able to have only a Mad Cat Mk. II Standard or a Mad Cat Mk. IV B in your force. Which one gets the nod, and why?

I like how the Mk II looks a lot better,  so that gets my vote.  I'm particularly fond of the 4, though,  for Alpha Strike.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2018, 13:38:26 »

Always use the TacOps Improved Vehicle Effectiveness rules. Wheeled & hover vehicles are simply awful without them.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2018, 15:00:53 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 16:56:19 by Easy »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2018, 15:30:49 »
If Big Al takes Terra, he's going to have to fight through the WHOLE Republic.  And they're not gonna sit down and take it, so there'll be counterattacks coming as the other republic worlds gather their forces to retake the homeworld.  Not to mention that the Falcons will turn the place into a planetary bonfire of a Refusal under Malvina, which means Alaric's gonna need the entire Wolf army there and they're going to get ground down fierce.

And it's only been a few years since the establishment of the Empire; it shouldn't be hard to reabsorb those worlds back into the FWL where they belong.  So with a very thin military at most (logically) in those worlds, and a very likely case that the Wolves won't be massing to take them back anytime soon.

Then again, the FWL's also dealing with reabsorbing Regulus, the Marian incursion, and Blake alone knows what else.  Maybe the Foxes can be encouraged to help out, with direct force or heavy discounts on cool machines.  On that note, Mad Cat Mk IV B in Ferrari red with black pinstriping, please.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2018, 15:53:35 »
The Wolves are going to be bogged down fight the RAF (hopefully) and the Falcons - because Malvina is so crazy she won't fold into a Wolf ilClan without a struggle) - so the League should be able to retake at least a few key worlds like Keystone.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 23 September 2018, 16:09:45 »
I know it's not a common idea: but it Alaric is busy fighting god knows what around/on Terra and Im the new FWL I spend as much time as possible re-arming, re-building, fortifying, and then launching as many spoiler attacks as possible to bog down future attacks: Im talking economic raids and the like.

If your two biggest enemies (besides the CapCon) are fighting each other then that gives me time to build a lot.

Just my two cents....

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 23 September 2018, 16:22:52 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 16:55:37 by Easy »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 23 September 2018, 17:42:20 »
Absolutely Tongatapu, even if the Awesomes there are a little on the bizarro side.  Why Mundrabilla?

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 23 September 2018, 18:11:31 »
I like how the Mk II looks a lot better,  so that gets my vote.  I'm particularly fond of the 4, though,  for Alpha Strike.

As in the Mk. II 4, or the Mk. IV?

Regardless of your answer, can you provide more detail? (You don't have to limit yourself to the Mk. IV B if there's another config you feel is even more noteworthy)

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2018, 18:53:45 »
The Mk II 4.  It retains the jump jets, has a damage profile of 4/4/4, an OV of 3, and OVL so it can use it at long range.  It's an excellent 'Mech for punishing your opponent overextending or engaging buildings at long (safe) range.  Determining when and where to overheat (especially on a 'Mech with JJs) is a major part of what I consider the fun decision-making process for Alpha Strike, and boy howdy does that 'Mech deliver.  It is very consistent, and by having 4/4/4 OV3 it gets a significant relative PV reduction versus what it'd be if the damage profile was 7/7/7 OV0.

Four points of damage is also low enough that your opponent is liable to ignore it in favor of heavier hitters, and you can use that to exploit the OV to prove them very, very wrong.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 23 September 2018, 19:31:46 »
That's an interesting line of thought. Though, wouldn't that necessitate making the Mk. II 4 fight only every other turn on paper? That is... overheat to 2, jump away to cool off, come back to overheat 2 again, jump away to cool, etc.?

Granted, I suppose in reality it's more like 'Do 4 damage consistently, spike to 6 when it's a good idea, then jump away to cool off, return to do 4 more for a while, spike to 6, jump away to cool, etc.'?

Edit: Meant to say 6, not 7, damage.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2018, 19:42:31 by GespenstM »

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 23 September 2018, 19:50:36 »
Effectively, yes.  Being able to pump up by two damage on a tough unit that has the capability to keep its movement mod high(ish) while dealing with the heat is a good thing to have.  Alpha Strike, much more than Total Warfare, is an exercise in stacking together amounts of damage to efficiently remove enemy units from the board.  Four points of damage is a good baseline to start at, you're not paying extra for any short range damage you might not (playstyle permitting, of course) be using, you have the ability to respond to a target at any range, and you have the ability to dish out extra damage as the situation calls for it.

Getting up to 6 damage is a pretty big threshold, since most Medium 'Mechs only have five armor (I think there are a couple 55 tonners that manage six points) and most Lights have six or so points of armor and structure combined.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 23 September 2018, 19:54:56 »
What about in regular BT, which do you prefer then?

Also were these available to the FWL by 3145?

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 23 September 2018, 20:44:27 »
I really just have a soft spot for the Mk II 4 in general. :D  It's on the IS General List by 3100 at the latest, let alone the Dark Age.

4x ER Larges and 2x LRM-15s isn't exactly an efficient loadout, especially as far as the heat curve goes, but it's never not going to be able to shoot someone and when it opens up it's entirely capable of putting out the hurt on someone, packing ~40% more alpha-strike firepower than a Hellstar 2.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679