Author Topic: The New Free Worlds League: Thread Title Deadlocked in Committee  (Read 146937 times)

Geont

• Master Sergeant
Re: The New Free Worlds League: Thread Title Deadlocked in Committee
« Reply #420 on: 31 December 2019, 11:54:28 »
I know the topic came up, you will have to check in FM3145 which is different than the Spotlight on paint scheme.  Unfortunately my toddler contributed to the breaking of my Kindle so I do not have the information at hand.

It is a while that I asked somewhere this question and if I remember it right they went back to Marik Militia colors.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #421 on: 31 December 2019, 11:59:45 »
Yeah, I want to say it was Gideon who appeared with that answer.  Personally, I like the charcoal & purple look.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #422 on: 31 December 2019, 13:02:04 »
Before it's reunification, and before they wrote those pieces on their Website on it, Wizkids in AoD and DA, originally kind of described the former FWL as being like a bunch of failed states, if I remember correctly? Though I think it painted a better picture of certain regions in the former FWL.

I'm just trying to see if I remember that correctly, or if I've gone mad.
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #423 on: 31 December 2019, 22:18:55 »
Thanks all. Back to purple dudes then.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #424 on: 01 January 2020, 21:37:01 »
I'm in the process of creating a 3100 era NFWL Regulan Fief unit based on Futuna.

So far I have acquired an old antiqued Leviathan, using an Upgraded Seeker, paired Hannibal and single Gorgon dropper. A single Seleucus BA dropper is used as well. I want to use only two mech droppers...

But which ones? I want at least a Battalion's worth, since I'm using the Armored version of the MN2-A Sarissa as the basis of my House unit. Using a paired MAD-5M's and a single SRTH-1O-B supporting a commanders ride, a PKM-2C.

Most of my forces ranks are the Shrandra, Ontos MML / Ontos LGR, I also use all three Demon Tank variants... most of my Infantry is Standard Foot, but I do use Leonidas a lot.

Any thoughts?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #425 on: 01 January 2020, 22:07:10 »
Two units, or two types? For a battalion of 'Mechs, you're basically going with battalion-sized (Overlord), company-sized (Union & a couple of others), and smaller, so for two units you really can only go Overlord. You could go Overlord-Two (24 'Mechs, 12 vehicles) plus a Union ...

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #426 on: 01 January 2020, 22:22:22 »
I wonder...

Overlord-C and a " Command " Union, which technically should give up 4 mechs for berthing and C&C properties.

Thoughts?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #427 on: 02 January 2020, 16:58:29 »
For a small dropship like the union you would probably have to give up 4 mech bays plus the AS bays to get a decent command DS.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #428 on: 10 January 2020, 19:16:53 »
Why? I mean it's got 600 tons of empty space to provide both berthing and C&C equipments.

TT,
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #429 on: 10 January 2020, 20:02:29 »
For a tactical command ship yeah.
For a planetary assault the amount of equipment and personnel you would need a lot more space.
Basically depends on what you intend to use it for.
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #430 on: 10 January 2020, 22:49:07 »
While BattleTech may encourage advanced level tactics, logistics is stuck at the kindergarten level- and the patient teacher is threatening to fail the kid.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #431 on: 11 January 2020, 02:44:36 »
Good point
Growing up is optional.

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #432 on: 11 January 2020, 09:06:26 »
Heh, thanks to this thread I should say, that I made the worst elements of my custom unit I'm working on (as well as the eventual story I've decided to write with them being the antagonists the Andurien section of the unit.

Because I find that to be amusing, lol.
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #433 on: 06 February 2020, 22:37:30 »
 There is always the mystery of what happened to the mass of units that defend SAFE HQ, during the coup.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #434 on: 18 February 2020, 11:15:34 »
The topic involving a delayed Clan invasion by roughly 20 years got me wondering . . . What would a Marauder 4M look like?  Ronin dropped their -4X prototype to build the same -5M as FWDI, using recovered SLDF tech probably from the Helm core.  Partly IMO b/c Wallis was under tighter FWL control at the time, to churn out mechs that were sold to the FC & DC.  But if left on their own to provide a machine to Regulus & the League . . . what would it look like?

The MAD-4X had-
Binary LC each arm
pair of SRM6s
proto Endosteel
mixed proto DHS w/SHS

The MAD-5M had-
LPL & MPL in each arm
LB-10X
XL engine
CASE
DHS
JJ

No design sheets please, just discussing the possible flavor of a new League design as part of recovering/advancing technology.  Would it be worth the crits to keep the mixed Heat Sinks while suffering heat dissipation?  Would the Wallis -4M jump?  Would it use a XL at the time?  Switch the weapons load around to match up in part with the developing -5M?  Would it get CASE- after all its not a DC design where the answer would automatically be no?

Would a -4M fit in more with the FWLM of the 3040s & 3050s that was not selling weapons to the FC/DC than the -5M?
Colt Ward

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #435 on: 25 March 2020, 10:34:58 »
I like the idea of a MAD-4M.

Keep the Endo.
ER Large Lasers over Medium Pulse in each arm in place of the Binary LC's.
Streak SRM2's in place of the SRM6's on the -4X. (I think you could get 4 in?).
Double Heat Sinks.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #436 on: 25 March 2020, 10:49:43 »
See, I liked the idea of the Blazers on a -4M as the missing link between a -4X and -9M which were both Wallis produced.  In the 3040s its the only energy headcapper until the HPPC is built by the IS decades later.  The 3050s 'stick SSRM2s on it' is IMO a artifact of the old inferno rules, I would rather keep the SRM6s or get more SRM4s on a -4M than be saddled with Streaks- not even sure they were available to the FWL at the prospective time.
Colt Ward

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #437 on: 29 March 2020, 12:17:11 »
For a 4M Maruader I could see two modes of thought

Dual Blazers, DHS, Endo Steel, CASE, and two SRM-6s with Artemis, and Jump Jets (if you can fit them).  It would be a nice in-fighting version that would lead to a desire for a jump capable pulse Marauder (the 5M) with an LB-10X for long range work. 

The other would be two ER Large and two Large Lasers, Endo, DHS, and two SRM-4s with Artemis, plus CASE.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #438 on: 29 March 2020, 15:17:44 »
I'm thinking of a FWL unit for the Dark Age. Well, maybe Clan Protectorate unit specifically. I happen to be a Nova Cat fan and that place seems to be the only future left for what's left of the Cats  xp

As i understand it, the Protectorate runs around with Clan military structure, but what about their equipment? Fully Clan or a mix of Clan and Spheroid stuff?
Though regardless of canon status, i'm inclined to make it a mix to get in some FWL units i like. Figured that i don't have enough FWL favorites for a pure FWL unit.
Elementals running around in Longinus, because why not?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #439 on: 29 March 2020, 15:32:31 »
Basically everything is a mix of Clan and Inner Sphere stuff, sometimes on the same front-line chassis (Juliano, anyone?).  Protectorate units would probably have a higher proportion of Clan tech, but by the time the Dark Age rolls around there are honestly some IS units I'd rather have than a similar size Clan unit.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #440 on: 29 March 2020, 16:05:55 »
I'm thinking of a FWL unit for the Dark Age. Well, maybe Clan Protectorate unit specifically. I happen to be a Nova Cat fan and that place seems to be the only future left for what's left of the Cats  xp

As i understand it, the Protectorate runs around with Clan military structure, but what about their equipment? Fully Clan or a mix of Clan and Spheroid stuff?
Though regardless of canon status, i'm inclined to make it a mix to get in some FWL units i like. Figured that i don't have enough FWL favorites for a pure FWL unit.
Elementals running around in Longinus, because why not?

I'd expect a grab bag of older Nova Cat stuff, recent Sea Fox production, smatterings of militia-level Republic 'Mechs, and local FWL designs. You have a ton of flexibility, really.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #441 on: 29 March 2020, 16:14:38 »
This is my initial idea for the 'Mechs, from my notes (+ means miniature exists, - means no mini). Overall, i'm thinking something like a small Cluster, consisting a Trinary of 'Mechs plus vehicles and battle armor. Maybe something like 7 Stars total. Long-term project regardless (all my projects are long-term lol).
Trinary of 'Mechs, mix of Clan and Spheroid designs:
+Warhammer IIC 4
+Mad Cat Mk II
+Mad Cat III
+Koshi (Standard)
+Black Hawk (Standard)

-Stalking Spider II
+Wendigo (omni)
+Shadow Cat III (omni)
+Avalanche (omni)
+Juliano

+Anzu
+Carronade
+Sarath (omni)
+Quasimodo
+Stalker II

Leans toward Clan Sea Fox products, with fun and cool FWL 'Mechs thrown into mix.
Gotta figure out another Omni for the unit, would prefer having at least a Star of Omnis. Maybe another Avalanche.
The Shadow Cat III is a bit odd since it is official but not canon until it appears somewhere. I presume it is a Nova Cat design and likely can appear among factions that make use of Nova Cat stuff, like the Wendigo.
The Stalker II is a problem due to its speed. Looks good but problematic unit. But not really keen on replacing it.
Might have to grow the concept to two Binaries of 'Mechs to keep everything i want and have capabilities i want, though that would require coming up with more faction-appropriate 'Mechs i like, not an easy task. Alternatively, perhaps there will be a mixed vehicle/'Mech/BA Star.

I'd expect a grab bag of older Nova Cat stuff, recent Sea Fox production, smatterings of militia-level Republic 'Mechs, and local FWL designs. You have a ton of flexibility, really.
Older Nova Cat stuff will be covered with Clan Invasion 'Mechs. Thinking of painting what i'll get with a camo, to make them something that can represent generic Clan unit or Nova Cats as necessary. Fortunate that Nova Cats favor camos over parade colors...

EDIT Damn it, forgot Republic militia stuff. I had some ideas for a Republic unit but i scrapped that, think those i like could find home here.
« Last Edit: 29 March 2020, 16:17:20 by Empyrus »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #442 on: 29 March 2020, 16:46:13 »
Do not forget the Mad Dog III and Mad Dog IV- IIRC one was produced by the Foxes, I think it was the IV since its on the TRO3145 Mercs cover with a Savage Wolf.  You also could/should have a Tempest C option which the Protectorate produced in response to the Crusader Wolves Orion C.

If your trying to make a Omni star for carrying BA, you might look at moving the Sarath up into the Juliano's place- it makes a excellent guard for the ELRM mech . . . and I would say remove the Stalking Spider II for the Mad Dog IV.

IF you wanted to put in a Nova Cat Omni, you can always make it Janis Nova Cat's old ride for a unique story.  Other known mechs they had on Marik . . . Rikkard piloted a Shadow Hawk and captured a Legionnaire but returned to his Firestarter (to commit suicide?) when he appeared in Shattered Fortress.  For a Dark Age campaign I combed Warrenborn's list of MWDA minis to build rosters for each cluster/regiment, include some of the two that Rikkard had with him at the time.  Of course the Spirit Cats got a lot of mention in mid-point novels since they were a popular faction- I remember a POV character that had a Warhammer IIC with 4 ERLL . . . basically a faster Supernova!
Colt Ward

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #443 on: 29 March 2020, 16:53:42 »
Do not forget the Mad Dog III and Mad Dog IV- IIRC one was produced by the Foxes, I think it was the IV since its on the TRO3145 Mercs cover with a Savage Wolf.  You also could/should have a Tempest C option which the Protectorate produced in response to the Crusader Wolves Orion C.
The Vulture III is pretty much a Ghost Bear-only 'Mech. Not really a fan of the 'Mech, except as something to represent Vulture Mk II (which is just the original Vulture with Spheroid tooling, leading to blocky looks).
As for the Vulture Mk IV, i don't really like it. Doesn't have configs i like. And the bigger issue is that the mini is apparently problematic.
Never cared for the Tempest in any way. Pretty much the only old FWL 'Mechs i'm inclined to use are the Wraith, Apollo and Sirocco. But my Cappies already got a Wraith, and the other two are back-up options.
A pity the Orion C is a Wolf 'Mech. Of course, i am thinking of a Wolf Empire OpFor as well...

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #444 on: 29 March 2020, 16:56:41 »
What do people think of the Shockwave?
Seems to be straightforward. Not stellar perhaps, but not bad by any means. Decent looks.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #445 on: 29 March 2020, 17:33:19 »
Tempest C is basically the -3M with Clan weapons . . . so 4/6/4 Gauss Rifle, 3 ERMLs and stuff IIRC.  Yeah, I think I remember someone saying the Mad Dog IV had the same arm problems the Savage Wolf has but it can be worked around easier than the Wolf I think.  Just have to decide its going to be a bit different looking than those pegs.

Lots of good old FWL mechs like the Patriot, Marauder 9M2, HPPC Awesome, Wolverine 7M, Warhammer 7M, and Ostwar.  I personally like both the RFL-5M & -7M, but they require a bit more care to employ.

A newer one to look into is the Havoc, I really would like to see some of the other versions . . . and its one I would LOVE to tinker with in a campaign, IS ERMLs swapped for Clan of course.  Used one recently in a 1-off game, it got some hate for moving across the map to do that much damage . . . it also absorbed quite a bit.

Shockwave is a solid medium trooper . . . you have a few different variants that will all retain the same looks- large caliber gun, big energy weapon and missile rack.  The one mounting the Thumper cannon would be a great BA hunter.
Colt Ward

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #446 on: 29 March 2020, 17:46:38 »
An Avatar works as an addition to the Omni Star well. Not as fast as the others, but provides them some nice firepower. Has a couple of nice Clan-tech configs. Plus the resculpt mini seems look pretty good. And it is available to the FWL.

From the Republic, a Valiant and a Thunder Fox, maybe a Blade though the FWL has the Blade 7R. The first two aren't the most effective things around but they belong to my favorites. A pity there's no Valiant 3E mini.

Then there's that Shockwave. Should add up to 20 'Mechs now.
I'll have generic Spheroid 'Mechs as well, classics, Awesomes, that kind of stuff. Can use them as needed.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #447 on: 29 March 2020, 18:12:35 »
The FWL also has access to the absolutely sublime Uziel 8S, and there's mention of ClanTech Shoguns coming out of Sea Fox factories in 3150 with Ferro-Lamellor that could be useful to you.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #448 on: 29 March 2020, 18:21:31 »
Can't tolerate anything with Improved Jump Jets. One piece of equipment i really, really don't like. So no Uziel 8S.
That said, i do like the Uziel 2S. Technically not available to the FWL but not a major problem, it could be salvage, Republic origins, or just something the Sea Foxes are trading.
I do happen to like the Chimera and Hellspawn as well, the former is available to the FWL, the latter not, but again, easy enough to justify. And all three have nice resculpts available. Unfortunately. They're so tempting...

As for the Shogun, not a big fan of the thing. I do have a mini for it already from of the old Lance Packs, and i keep shuffling it from force to force, never satisfied. Maybe i'll use it for painting practice for this Clan Protectorate unit  :P

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #449 on: 10 April 2020, 09:01:13 »
Does anyone have examples of the various Andurien unit color schemes?