Author Topic: Legacy of Blake: The Star and the Broadsword  (Read 15141 times)

Handofbane

Legacy of Blake: The Star and the Broadsword
« on: 29 January 2011, 11:43:05 »
With no more Voice of Truth board, the time has come for the supporters of both Comstar and the Word of Blake to integrate themselves back into the rest of the Inner Sphere.  What better way than to make our presence known?  #P

I would start with a question, to those who backed either side of the Schism:  Do you feel the Jihad did proper justice to both sides of the legacy of what Jerome Blake built?  Not asking about "why the Jihad started" or "why XXXXX sucked", but a serious look at how much of a showing our factions made.  We all went in knowing the Word would be defeated, even those of us who actively supported them - does anyone else feel satisfied that we did our utmost in still reaching for success, no matter how impossible it may have seemed?  Do the Comstar folks feel their own people performed up to their own expectations (Focht and VSD aside)?

I know how I feel about it all, and I am content that the Word tried its best, and would have made Conrad Toyama proud, if not Jerome Blake himself.

Peace of Blake be with you all.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Re: Legacy of Blake: The Star and the Broadsword
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2011, 12:05:20 »
I feel that both the Word of Blake & Comstar lost sight of the Word of Blake as interpreted by Conrad Toyama. 

"Comstar" became something of a joke, their leadership made up of Great House plants, their obsession with defeating the Clans, and their eventual devolution from technological & social leader into muscle for the Great Houses.  Post-schism Comstar was a dying beast from day one - it had lost it's purpose.  It didn't seek to lead the Inner Sphere into a new golden age, it simply sought to crush the Clans and continue making money.  It was a soulless corporation devoid of meaning, and a mercenary one at that.

The Word of Blake, on the other hand, let go of all Conrad Toyama preached and turned itself into the very entity Comstar was formed to eliminate and control: An out of control destructive force wiping out the light of mankind.  Even in the early days, Comstar had the opportunity to strike out and force the Successor Lords to heel with their technological might, but Conrad Toyama would have none of it.  To war with and conquer the Successor States was would make Comstar no better than they, and he choose a higher path, one in which he used Comstar's monopoly on technology & communication to make sure than none challenged The Blessed Order.  The Word of Blake threw that all out the window in their panicked efforts to force themselves into a position they felt they owned.  They desecrated Blake's dream and made fools and hypocrites of themselves.

Is this the end for Comstar?  No.  I believe that a true Comstar still exists out there.  I beleive that this war between the Word of Blake, "Comstar", and the rest of humanity was little more than the true Comstar cleaning house and enacting their vision.  They weeded out the disbelievers, the heretics, & those who paid lip-service and set them upon each other.  They distracted the House Lords and other leaders and led them to believe them gone forever.  Now, they remain, even deeper behind the scenes, enacting their plan for dominance of the Sphere....

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2011, 12:10:03 »
To the question of did the Jihad do both sides justice: Comstar had nothing to do with Blake's legacy.  You either believe that Focht really did find secret writings that contradicted over two centuries of Comstar dogma, or you don't.  Focht's Comstar made it through the Jihad, but the Comguards and the Comstar navy took a huge beating because they underestimated the Blakists.

In the end I think the Word did one job really, really well: They swept aside all the dusty figures and institutions in CBT that have been around too long.  We all knew going into this thing that the universe would be very different when the Jihad was over, and to their credit, the writer's have illustrated in depth how that was accomplished.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2011, 16:10:58 »
Is this the end for Comstar?  No.  I believe that a true Comstar still exists out there.  I beleive that this war between the Word of Blake, "Comstar", and the rest of humanity was little more than the true Comstar cleaning house and enacting their vision.  They weeded out the disbelievers, the heretics, & those who paid lip-service and set them upon each other.  They distracted the House Lords and other leaders and led them to believe them gone forever.  Now, they remain, even deeper behind the scenes, enacting their plan for dominance of the Sphere....

I am unconvinced but I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2011, 16:24:04 »
May the Peace of Focht be with you....
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2011, 01:51:47 »
I feel the secular ComStar held up rather well to what Blake wanted, helping to combat a dire threat to the Order and humanity is why the Terran stockpile existed after all. However the military performance is hit and miss due to Case White, and of course we don't have a clear view of it either, Jihad Hot Spots blame Victor and Focht, while Masters & Minions blame Dow. And that also leads to my next fear for the future of ComStar, Dow comes across more as the used car salesman whose going to stage a firesale to keep it functional but crippled.

The Word of Blake also held up very well to what Toyama and his militant successors actually did, rather than Toyama's version of Blake's Word. While he didn't do open warfare, Toyama got scared when the 1st Succession War slowed that the great collapse wouldn't happen so he provoked the 2nd, Karpov got scared about a 2nd slowing so provoked the 3rd, and of course nerfed everybody's technology and so on down the line. About the only difference with the Jihad is scale, and after the failure of Scorpion and Waterly destroying both the secular and fanatical Orders reputation, they pretty much had one last shot.

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2011, 11:36:40 »
Maybe I'm reading too much into conspiracies, but perhaps the Jihad cleansed the Word of Blake itself by eliminating those Blakists too eager to war with the heretics. Now the Word, perhaps in the guise of the Republic of the Sphere, can return to properly operating from behind the scenes.
I guess.  :D

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2011, 11:50:02 »
Maybe I'm reading too much into conspiracies, but perhaps the Jihad cleansed the Word of Blake itself by eliminating those Blakists too eager to war with the heretics. Now the Word, perhaps in the guise of the Republic of the Sphere, can return to properly operating from behind the scenes.

I think it's unfair to judge WoB as a monolithic organization, and I agree with you that some of the zealots were purged by way of the Jihad.  However, by the Dark Age there's some pretty strong hints that fanatical elements of WoB fled and survive to this day.  It may not be a case of not wanting to wage holy war, but a realization that only a return to Monkey Warfare is going to make any impact.

One aspect I can also give WoB credit for is Jerome Blake's desire to retake the worlds once belonging to the Terran Hegemony.  The Protectorate may not have exactly been the same borders, and certainly not the same political oversight, but it's more than pre schism Comstar ever accomplished.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2011, 11:58:37 »

Exactly.  The Master hung St. Jamais out to dry in the Protectorate.  Why?  Because St. Jamais and his ilk were nothing but heretics, cultivated to play the role of ultimate villain.  Then, while Terra burns, the true Blakists slip away into the ether......

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2011, 15:58:16 »
Wheels within wheels are apparent...

It'll be interesting to see why Devlin instigated Clarion Call
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2011, 16:53:46 »
Exactly.  The Master hung St. Jamais out to dry in the Protectorate.  Why?  Because St. Jamais and his ilk were nothing but heretics, cultivated to play the role of ultimate villain.  Then, while Terra burns, the true Blakists slip away into the ether......

Or changed their white robes in for the common Terran's business suit to help build the new Republic. The problem is the Master isn't one of those that escaped to my knowledge. Then again by the end of the Jihad, he'd be pretty old, and cybernetics require probably a lot of maintenance. If his bones aren't in the box in Surrender Your Dreams, I doubt that he is actually the Ghost Paladin or something.

However, the Jihad purged probably the Toyamaists the most of the Word of Blake. Then again, I'm pretty convinced that Stone was created by one of the more moderate factions to salvage the true concepts of the Word of Blake. And we all know some of the Blakest went to find their new technology out somewhere in the FWL. 

Handofbane

« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2011, 13:56:54 »
The part I see as being one of the shakier points in that theory... how does it explain the Manei Domini?  Does it just make them another dupe of the Master?  Did they commit the actions they are known for (Regulus, New Avalon, etc) purely because it was orders given or was Apollyon in on it too and understood what would be the end result?  Does their pity on the frails show as simply a side effect of the knowledge they are all going to die in the defense of the "true" Blakist vision for humanity?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2011, 16:31:33 »
Hard to say, really.  I would say that I'd consider the Manei Domini to be operating closer to the "true" Word of Blake than the bulk of that organization under St. Jamais.  How much were even they aware of?  Who knows.  They could be fully accepting of their role as sacrifices made for a higher goal, or they could be every bit as misled.

RGCavScout

• Master Sergeant
  • We are the Brute Squad!
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2011, 17:14:13 »
Of course, St. Jamais was nothing more than a tool of the master.  Anyone that you have to turn by using a sensory deprivation tank is never really going to earn your trust.  He played his part for the master and probably didn't see the full depth of it until the very end (if ever). 

As to the Manei Domini, I think that they were totally devoted to the master and probably never looked beyond to the larger picture.  They were created to engage in a genocidal war with the clans and that was it.  No returning home to open a chain of fried chicken joints or raise up a little cyborg family with mrs. Apollyon; just war and death. 

In the end, I think that the master was just playing a massive game of three-card-monte on the Inner Sphere with Devlin Stone and the "Republic" as the winning card that everyone was supposed to pick.  Of course, we are still learning what exactly we have won. . .

The Comstar of the Dark Ages appears to be more like the old Comstar that Toyama created when he. . . helped. . . Jerome Blake achieve sainted status.  A kind and benevolent exterior with a winning smile, a closet full of secrets, and a really sharp knife to plunge into your back when you are not looking.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."  Dread Pirate Roberts

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 31 January 2011, 20:23:04 »
Other question, are we going to end up with three ComStar factions in the Dark Age? The Neo-Blakists (Dark Age rebuilding Com Guards guys) don't seem to be in league with any Master/Stone faction as they seem to be operating in the dark like the public nice guy face without any knowledge of what is going on inside Prefecture X. Of course even if Stone is a Blakist, he could have pulled a Thomas Halas I guess.

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 31 January 2011, 20:48:18 »
Of course, St. Jamais was nothing more than a tool of the master.  Anyone that you have to turn by using a sensory deprivation tank is never really going to earn your trust.  He played his part for the master and probably didn't see the full depth of it until the very end (if ever). 
Good point, St.Jamais was fighting the war to win and damn all to the Master. One of the most telling moments I recall reading is St. Jamais arguing with Apollyon to pull his MD divisions in to support the regular Militia.
I recall a desperate StJ, tell Appy how they could still pull off a win or a draw if they cooperate.

I wonder how different the Sphere would be if that'd happened.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2011, 05:13:00 »
I must admit that I love the Word. And one of the main reasons why? They're pure crazy awesomeness.

They're an army of tehcnology worshippers, built from the philosophies of an intersteller communications company gone very, very bad. They liberally toss around nukes, bioweapons and orbital bombardment. They use every dirty trick in the book. They have armies of evil cyborgs with whacked-out Omnimechs. They are an anchient consopiracy made of Not Named Clan that are also the Uyymaids, the Minnesota Trabe, the Vandenburg White Wings, Clintons Cutthroats and god alone knows what else.

Freaking awesome.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2011, 13:11:24 »
Its good to see that the ComGuards are back in the dark ages with at least 1 division and new unknown (to the republic) mech designs.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: 04 February 2011, 22:56:44 »
Its good to see that the ComGuards are back in the dark ages with at least 1 division and new unknown (to the republic) mech designs.

Yep, its the only thing to keep me going :)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #19 on: 04 February 2011, 23:18:13 »
I've got agree the return of the Comguards in the Dark Age is a good thing, I even like how there a bit Wobbie in the head.  :D
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #20 on: 04 February 2011, 23:56:34 »
My hope is that eventually the Blood will be revealed to be canon; I think it's one of the coolest concepts in The Blake Documents.

I must admit that I love the Word. And one of the main reasons why? They're pure crazy awesomeness.

They're an army of tehcnology worshippers, built from the philosophies of an intersteller communications company gone very, very bad. They liberally toss around nukes, bioweapons and orbital bombardment. They use every dirty trick in the book. They have armies of evil cyborgs with whacked-out Omnimechs. They are an anchient consopiracy made of Not Named Clan that are also the Uyymaids, the Minnesota Trabe, the Vandenburg White Wings, Clintons Cutthroats and god alone knows what else.

Freaking awesome.

QFT.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2011, 08:52:03 by Kojak »

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #21 on: 05 February 2011, 09:33:48 »
My hope is that eventually the Blood will be revealed to be canon; I think it's one of the coolest concepts in ISP2.

The Bears at the least, seem to believe all the Blood rumors are true.  I'll be curious to see if they found anything on Mars to confirm their suspicions.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2011, 15:07:01 »
Me to. I wonder if the Wolverine mechs from Jihad Secrets will show up in the DA ComGuards.

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 05 February 2011, 15:49:05 »
Me to. I wonder if the Wolverine mechs from Jihad Secrets will show up in the DA ComGuards.
I think that'd be a little bit too obvious.

What I like about Comstar and the Word of Blake, besides being utterly ruthless, they actually have good and noble intentions in mind. It is just the way of achieving them that are rather 'evil'. I also like the fact despite having the dream of peace and pacifism in mind, they aren't so foolish as to think they could achieve that goal without being belligerent from time to time.

At first glance they might be clear black hats, but upon closer inspection you realise they are far more gray than just black.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #24 on: 05 February 2011, 16:53:07 »
One thing that always confused me, if the Wolverines joined Comstar and became the Blood, then how come no descendants of any of the known Wolverine survivors has never been identified by the Clans in either a captured Comstar or WoB person, living or dead, it only happened just once and that was a branch of a family line. No descendant of a survivor of the Wolverines ever joined the Comguards, joined the Explorer Corp, or even worked in a HPG facilitys in the what would become the Occupation zones in the 3050's? Thats the reason I don't think the rumors of the Blood are true. That and I like and prefer the idea their fighting aliens somewhere.  ;)
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 05 February 2011, 17:58:08 »
Its possible that if the Blood story is true, that they received assignments that kept them close to home, just in case. The Sol system, the Hidden 5, etc. Not to mention that if they're as insular as the book suggests, it could be that they're not marrying out into the general ComStar population, which would keep them rather small.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #26 on: 05 February 2011, 18:49:58 »
Here's something - Berith, then just Benjamin Emory, fought against the Steel Vipers in the Devil's Bath on Tukkayid. That's the same battle that whatsie Hallis, the supposed Wolverine "relative" died in.

Makes you think, doesnt it?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: 05 February 2011, 19:06:40 »
What I like about Comstar and the Word of Blake, besides being utterly ruthless, they actually have good and noble intentions in mind.

There's an old saying about that kind of thing...something about a certain road to a certain somewhere is paved with a certain something...

;)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #28 on: 05 February 2011, 19:09:50 »
I think that'd be a little bit too obvious.

What I like about Comstar and the Word of Blake, besides being utterly ruthless, they actually have good and noble intentions in mind. It is just the way of achieving them that are rather 'evil'. I also like the fact despite having the dream of peace and pacifism in mind, they aren't so foolish as to think they could achieve that goal without being belligerent from time to time.

At first glance they might be clear black hats, but upon closer inspection you realise they are far more gray than just black.

As I've said in the past, the philosophy of the Word of Blake is neatly encapsulated in the character of the Operative from the movie Serenity, particularly this conversation:

The Operative: I'm sorry. If your quarry goes to ground, leave no ground to go to. You should have taken my offer. Or did you think none of this was your fault?

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: I don't murder children.

The Operative: I do. If I have to.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Why? Do you even know why they sent you?

The Operative: It's not my place to ask. I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: So me and mine gotta lay down and die... so you can live in your better world?

The Operative: I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... any more than there is for you. Malcolm... I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 05 February 2011, 19:17:35 »
As I've said in the past, the philosophy of the Word of Blake is neatly encapsulated in the character of the Operative from the movie Serenity, particularly this conversation:
Very true, I like that comparison.

Perhaps Stone was Blakist who had a change of heart like the Operative.  8)