Author Topic: Seeking information on the Helm system  (Read 2260 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Seeking information on the Helm system
« on: 06 February 2020, 09:22:46 »
Basically looking for any additional information on Helm and its system that isn't in Price Of Glory or the Sarna.net page. Specifically, late Star League era Helm.

Other Planets in the system? Space-based industry? Recharge stations? Orbital infrastructure?
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Seeking information on the Helm system
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2020, 10:50:00 »
FM: SLDF p. 110 has some info - the 7th Fleet’s resupply base is in the asteroid belt.  There is an emergency supply cache at the Nagayan Mountain Castle Brian.  There is a supply depot in Freeport.

Handbook: House Marik p. 70 profiles Helm as having been an agricultural colony.  So, it is unlikely there was orbital industry.  It has no satellites, and there are at least three other planets in the system, leaving Helm as the 4th.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2020, 11:24:24 »
First Succession War’s opening fiction is set on Helm, and the planet’s mentioned (though not thoroughly described) elsewhere in the book in the context of the 1SW.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2020, 13:01:43 »
IMO your best bet to get more detail on Helm . . . is using the MWDA novel set on the planet.  Its one of the later ones where the Wolves & Lyrans are hitting the MSC Silverhawk Irregulars who are the defenders.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2020, 16:31:11 »
First Succession War’s opening fiction is set on Helm
...and that books only available from one seller on Amazon for over $1k.

Not the sort of money I'm able to just throw around
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2020, 16:58:18 »
PDF it . . .

Hopefully it might get a new print run after the KS is over, but that remains to be seen.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2020, 19:54:53 »
...and that books only available from one seller on Amazon for over $1k.

Not the sort of money I'm able to just throw around
https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-first-succession-war-pdf

And you don’t have to.  It’s $15 for the PDF on the CGL store.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2020, 19:57:15 »
Probably DriveThru too, if you prefer them...

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2020, 06:36:55 »
OK, got the PDF. Was hoping that someone would be able to direct me to where I could get it legally.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2020, 09:52:18 »
OK, got the PDF. Was hoping that someone would be able to direct me to where I could get it legally.

Arkansas Warrior linked to the PDF version - the legal one.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2020, 11:18:05 »
Arkansas Warrior linked to the PDF version - the legal one.
...which is the one I then went and bought.

Apologies if I didn't make it clear: I was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of where I could legally acquire a PDF of the book, given how expensive a physical copy was.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #11 on: 05 March 2020, 13:33:24 »
i would suggest checking drivethrurpg as well. Catalyst has most of their stuff on PDF there for sale as well, and if you create an account the site remembers your purchase so you can redownload if your copy gets deleted or corrupted, also if there is an update fixing errors.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2020, 15:38:01 »
i would suggest checking drivethrurpg as well. Catalyst has most of their stuff on PDF there for sale as well, and if you create an account the site remembers your purchase so you can redownload if your copy gets deleted or corrupted, also if there is an update fixing errors.
I have an account with them from something (I forget what) I backed on Kickstarter

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #13 on: 06 March 2020, 00:36:19 »
sadly they are two separate systems though, so buying from one won't add to your library on the other.