Author Topic: "Harvest of Blood", Saturday Nov 16, Tempe, AZ  (Read 1681 times)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
"Harvest of Blood", Saturday Nov 16, Tempe, AZ
« on: 05 November 2013, 17:22:38 »
Clan Wolf tries to take Harvest back from Clan Hell's Horses.  Noon, Saturday, Nov 16 at Game Depot in Tempe.

Mission Synopsis:  September, 3080.  Clan Wolf tries to retake the world of Harvest from Clan Hell's Horses.

Time:  We are scheduled to start at 12:00pm; last round will be called at 6:00pm.

Unit selection:  Miniatures & record sheets for pre-made forces will be provided, or players may bring their own. 
•   5000 BV. Max three units; bringing over three units incurs a penalty: for each unit over three, the total BV available is reduced by 10% (500 BV).  Infantry counts as half, but only half your force (rounded up) may be infantry.
•   Skills may not differ by more than two.
•   All units must be selected from the faction list at http://www.masterunitlist.info.  Set search filters to the appropriate faction (Clan Wolf or Clan Hell's Horses, along with Clan General) and set the era to "Jihad."
•   Make the GM's life easy by making forces for both sides; if you have a preference, show up a little early.
•   Bringing assembled miniatures that match units your force will give that model one point of Edge, usable to re-roll one roll directly affecting it once during the battle.  This does not apply to forces provided by the GM.

Terrain and setup description:  The battle will be held on a 4’ x 6’ map (2” hexes; 24x36).  Both sides will move onto their respective short edges on the first round.

Victory Conditions:  Victory points are scored equal to the BV of destroyed units plus one half the BV of crippled or withdrawn units.

Special Rules:  With a few exceptions, only Total Warfare rules will be used.
•   There is no “edge of the world.”  If a 'mech is up against a map edge, the three hexes that would be surrounding the 'mech off the board are now legal hexes for movement; occupying any of those hexes opens up more hexes, etc.
•   The following rules from Tactical Operations will be used:  Floating Crits, Sprinting, Evading, Crawling, Careful Stand, Firing When Down, ECCM, Expanded Backward Movement, Expanded Stacking, Gauss Shut Off, Active Probe Targeting.
•   Zellbrigen - If a duel is offered and accepted, both sides will allow it to be fought without interference.  Duels are not, however, required.

http://www.catalystdemos.com/EventInfo.asp?Action=View&EID=14513

(Edited to clarify that Clan General is available for both sides.)
« Last Edit: 06 November 2013, 11:16:28 by Joel47 »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: "Harvest of Blood", Saturday Nov 16, Tempe, AZ
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2013, 00:30:02 »
Thanks for the fun game Joel, it was a blast as usual.

Today's primary game was a 4v4 fight on 1 table for 20K v 20K bv.

We had 2 first timers that got a private demo on a smaller table, that was then used for 2 Latecomers that didn't make it to the store till we were well into the fight.

Okay, AAR,  lets see what I can recall.

Team North-East
Force 1:  Hellstar-3 (2/4)
Force 2:  2x Gargoyle-D (4/5)
Force 3:  BloodAsp-?  (?/?)  +  Elementals-APG (?/?)
Force 4:  Grizzly  (3/4)  +  FireFalcon-B  (?/?)

Team South-West
Force 1:  Blood Reaper ? (2/3)
Force 2:  DireWolf-A (4/5) + FireMoth-H (4/5)  +  Coronas (4/5) + Elementals-APG (3/5)
Force 3:  WarHawk-C (?/?)  + Elementals-APG (?/?)
Force 4:  Summoner-U (2/4)

Initial set up had Team S-W worried, the N-E team had a serious tonnage advantage with an extra mech as well.

1st Blood went to the Blood Reaper? that landed ER-ATMs on turn 1 for 6 damage.

Turn-2 also saw limited amounts of fire with a lot of whiffing.

I think Turn 3 is when the hits really started to happen.
The Hellstar opened up on the DireWolf in a 40 to 35 exchange of fire that peeled armor.
The D-Wolf fell ever but that just helped the Elementals to get off into the Heavy Woods the D-wolf had occupied that turn.
The Blood Asp took heavy fire from the Summoner, WarHawk, & Blood Reaper & also fell over doing damage to his elementals.
The FireMoth dropped off the Coronas behind a ridge near the Hellstar while doing a lot of running around & going prone most turns.

Turn 4 saw the carnage get into full swing.
DireWolf stands up & Alphas the Hellstar after the Coronas hammered it with a full spread of MPL Love.
The Reaper, Hawk, & Summoner continue to hammer the Asp while the Elementals from the Hawk jump into the same hex as the Hellstar.
The Hellstar & Gargoyles & Grizzly take turns unloading up the WarHawk & DireWolf.

Turn 5:  Wolf lays into the Hellstar again, that Zombie is finally starting to notice.
However I think this is the turn when the Hellstar opens up on the Reaper & puts 2 ERLL into the head, even with an edge point the head is very open now.  Later it fails PSR & falls on its head.  A pristine monster dead w/ minimal armor damage.
Meanwhile the Warhawk has lost the PPC arm.  Yikes, the S-W team was already worried but this is just mean.  The FireFalcon shuts down from heat & damage.

Turn 6: Sees the Firefalcon get pasted while everyone is starting to take more & more damage.
The Hellstar takes even more fire & falls over, pilot alseep & shut down on 26 heat.  WarHawk is now armless.

Turn 7: The Hellstar finally goes away after loosing both side torsos.  Then the Blood Asp goes down & Suddenly the S-W team has a little hope.  But the WarHawk also goes down w/o being able to kick the Asp.

Turn 8:  The FireMoth gets erased by the Grizzly.  It had a total of 4 hits in 14 HSL shots so far this game...sigh, I never do well with this mech.  The NE Elementals die this turn.  The D-Wolf finally looses the right arm & 3LPL and with it any real hopes of a victory.  The Grizzly is the next mech to feel the love of team SW.  Massive stacked fire in 3 locations from the Wolf & the BA units as well as the Summoner who looses an ERPPC to the Gargoyles.

Turn 9:  The 3 points of elementals unload on the Grizzly & put it on the ground.  The D-Wolf wiffs while the Gargoyles continue to fire ERLL's at anything they can target.

We have time for a 10th turn but decide to call it.
2 People have already left with dead forces & 2 more need to leave early.

When we call it, Team SW actually has the lead in BV killed.
That said, without a lot of luck the 2 near pristine Gargoyles could have done a huge amount of damage to the D-Wolf, Summoner, & 3 BA Points.  We predicted 1 Garg would be left for Team NE and the remainder of team SW would be wiped out.

It was a solid tactical game that was a blast to play.
There were a couple "flawed" units on the SW team, the Summoner had some useless torpedoes, while the Reaper is undersinked/over BV'd & had paid BV for a 3 pilot that was not needed in a clan fight.  The real deciding factor however was the Reaper going down while still nearly pristine.  It had just gotten into HE/HML short range & a couple turns of that love could have changed the game quite a bit.

I might have some turns wrong, feel free to correct me or add info I couldn't remember.

Thanks again Joel, much fun had by all.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2013, 01:35:50 »
Thank you to all who played, and an extra thank you to Hellraiser & Ian, who kept the game running as I spent half the time running demos for the kids whose fathers were busy at the Flames of War tourney.  Here are a couple of pictures; note that the part of the Blood Asp is being played by a Kingfisher because my Blood Asp missed his ride to the game.  O:-)

Wrayth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2013, 23:04:02 »
Sorry I missed another one.  I was out helping my dad get a Christmas present for my niece from Guitar Center.  I was hoping to make it to one of the two Clan games, but circumstances conspired against me.
"If brute force isn't working, you obviously aren't using enough of it."

Register