Author Topic: Cruiser Clusters  (Read 1426 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Cruiser Clusters
« on: 25 May 2018, 03:34:56 »
What exacty is a cruiser cluster? Most of the clusters in the Clan Field Manuals are either based on the usual regiment types, (Assualt = Heavy-Assualt, Strike= Striker) or have clarification in the Clan's section. I get the feeling that Cruiser clusters are a mix of medium of mediums and fast heavies, but isn't that a striker unit? Would it be more mediums and lights?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Re: Cruiser Clusters
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2018, 21:49:40 »
If you look through the Cluster & Galaxy descriptions for individual units in the Diamond Shark section of FM WC you'll fond some descriptions of a Cruiser Cluster.

The 7th Cruiser of Beta Galaxy appears to be the original and have the best definition: "...designed for rapid deployment against any threat." Each Cluster has it's own take on unit composition, but the Trinaries seem to be only one unit type ('Mech, aero, BA) unless its a rare Nova/Supernova.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2018, 16:45:38 »
Once upon a time I wrote a little piece on Diamond Shark cluster names. Just going to copy/paste that here. It's based on what was found in FM: Warden Clans.

Clan Diamond Shark Cluster Names and meaning
Strike: Main line combat. Largely a generic distinction incorporating a healthy amount of medium/heavy/assault mechs with elemental and aero support. Some Strike Clusters seem to be heavier weight. All appeared to be focused on ground combat. Akin to an assault/battle/Guard Cluster in other Clans. Should not be confused with the "Striker" designation in some Clans that indicates a lighter weight unit.

Cruiser: Oriented toward speedy mechs, light and medium weight machines, many have ample aero or elemental support to offset their lack of staying power. These Clusters emphasize tactics and strategies that prize speed and maneuverability and some are noted for their scouting skills as well. In some other Clans these units would be called Striker or Recon Clusters.

Combined-Assault and Combined-Strike: The exact composition varies depending on Galaxy Assignment and the availability of an Air Assault Cluster. In Front-line Galaxies where no Air Assault Cluster exists, Combined-Assault or Combined-Strike Clusters emphasize air support with multiple ASF Trinaries or Binaries and are the central focus of air power for the entire Galaxy. Their structure is similar to some Cloud Cobra Clusters, with multiple aero Trinaries backed to a few mech/elemental Trinaries or Binaries. In Galaxies where "Air Assault" Clusters exist, these units are more varied in composition. With some emphasizing strong Elemental/Mech combos while others emphasize strong mech/aero combos. Or they are evenly split, one Cluster had 2 mech Trinaries, 2 Elemental Trinaries, and 2 Aero Trinaries. The exact composition is molded in part by the needs of the parent Galaxy. These units are sometimes molded to shore up wherever the parent Galaxy is weak. For example in the Rho Spina Galaxy, their Combined-Assault Cluster was assigned the Galaxy's only air support. Oddball elements, like armored vehicles, also tend to end up in these Clusters. Front-line units of this type should be thought of as Air Attack Clusters. Second-line units of this type in other Clans might be considered equivalent to "Regulars" or PGCs.

Air Assault: As the name suggests, these units make use of multiple Trinaries or Binaries of fighters, with sometimes as little as a Trinary or Supernova of ground forces backing them up. They tend to be the second-line equivalent of the air focused Combined-Assault or Combined Strike Clusters in front-line Galaxies.

Command Clusters: Often shaped by the Galaxy Commander as they see fit, these units vary in composition, but they tend to have a healthy amount of every unit type, 'mechs, elementals and ASFs, with Supernovas being common. They tend to get some of the best equipment and warriors.

Its important to note that plenty of exceptions exist. For example in Gamma Galaxy the presence of a mech-heavy Assault Cluster has allowed the 21st Strike Cluster to focus itself into a mostly Elemental Cluster. Some units have also been molded by tradition and their composition has veered away from what they probably were originally, but they retain their original name.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2018, 18:34:39 »
DOH,  I just thought Cruiser clusters were the ones assigned to Cruisers, hehe.

I thought the Sharks had clusters assigned to be mobile "trial" units in support of the merchants.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2018, 19:51:51 »
As of FM: U, a Combined Strike Cluster from Beta Galaxy, and clusters from the Rho Spina and Lambda Spina Galaxies were serving aboard warships.

The changes reflected what was happening in the 3060s, with Diamond Shark holdings and merchant routes being so spread out across both the Clan Homeworlds, to the Inner Sphere and increasingly throughout the Inner Sphere. That's according to FM: U.

The Clusters committed to the task are a cross section of cluster types, and this is clearly a new dynamic that the Clan is facing in the 3050s/3060s. As opposed to before, when they were largely committed to JUST the Homeworlds with a tiny presence in the Inner Sphere.

Whereas I suspect Cruiser Clusters have been part of the Clan since its early history.

It's clearly a naval reference. Just like many of their warship names, the Aqua Marines nickname of one of the clusters and a number of other aquatic nods found in the fluff on the Sharks. I suspect the writers were just trying to find yet more ways to differentiate the Clans.

Register