Author Topic: Homes  (Read 1572 times)

bblaney

• Lieutenant
Homes
« on: 29 May 2013, 08:53:10 »
So any idea how much a home costs circa 3048-3050, a normal 3 or 4 bedroom house that is?

For a game I play in

Thanks!!!
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
Re: Homes
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2013, 09:26:50 »
I´m afraid that´s too vague a question.
Without knowing state, planet, city, no answer can be given.

Think about it: an amartment in tharkard city costs as much as half a planet in backyard davion country.
it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2013, 09:35:00 »
There are generic costs of living given in AToW.

Beazle

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2013, 12:01:36 »
given how much housing cost vary on THIS planet (heck even in one country on this planet) I shudder to think how complicated an interplanetary real estate agency would be.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2013, 12:02:35 »
Which is why I suspect the powers that be decided to say smeg it and just use generic costs.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2013, 15:38:08 »
Which is why I suspect the powers that be decided to say smeg it and just use generic costs.

You win! ;)

Yeah, those costs are guidelines. Double them, decimate them, whatever it takes to make sense in your campaign.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2013, 16:45:54 »
Ya, take a look at New Avalon, population 7 billion and the average planet population 175 million. Houses will be cheaper on that average planet or they'd best be coming with a lot of land attached.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2013, 13:33:42 »
So any idea how much a home costs circa 3048-3050, a normal 3 or 4 bedroom house that is?

For a game I play in

Thanks!!!

The rule of thumb is that a C-bill is has the buying power of 3-5 times modern currency. So price out a home in a low-rent area and then one in a high-end neighborhood and adjust the prices accordingly.

Playing a mercenary, I found it preferable to have several people pool resources to buy a quality home in a secure neighborhood than have them live in separate apartments and far more comfortable and flexible than barracks.

Last week I looked at a 3 bedroom house on the market for $2 million -The house was a cramped, poorly-designed hovel but the land value in the area gave the place the ridiculous price tag, that and the fact that the property straddles a stream. 

As far as property values are concerned, a large number of factors determine the prices. I had a friend who worked for the municipal property tax office and he would go all around town appraising property so the city could levy taxes in various neighborhoods. The owners had the opportunity to contest the assessments but he followed a set criteria that was difficult to challenge. He was eventually hired by Bank of America as a property assessor for mortgages.

Assessment factors:
what nearby properties are selling for;
what it would cost today to replace them;
the costs to operate and repair them;
what rents they may earn; and
many other factors affecting value, such as local crime rates, public facilities, businesses, etc.

Register