Author Topic: Better off converting?  (Read 3288 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Better off converting?
« on: 28 February 2013, 18:28:00 »
Hi, I am new to ATOW, but not battletech roleplaying and the character creation process in ATOW confuses me. Am I better off making my group's characters in MW3 and converting them?

Is there some kind of bone-simple walk through guide out there for ATOW?

Does the conversion process do justice? One thing I hated in MW3 was the massive ammount of work it took to actually improve a skill.

Thanks for your time.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Better off converting?
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2013, 19:07:14 »
Well, I guess the first question is "What confuses you about ATOW Chargen?"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2013, 20:08:59 »
If Module build is too daunting I would recommend using Point Buy character generation.

Start with your 5,000 XP.  Make sure all your attributes are 1 or higher.  Save some XP for Skills, Traits, and if desired SPA's.

Choose you -500 XP worth of Negative traits.

Choose your fields.  When investing in the indicated skills you get 20% back as a rebate of the total XP invested.

Invest in your skills.  I have a thread around here somewhere that has a spreadsheet that shows how all the different XP to skill rank conversions as adjusted for all the traits that can have an impact on how much XP it takes to get a certain rank of skill.

Some bio information and you should be done in no time flat.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2013, 22:30:26 »
Well, I guess the first question is "What confuses you about ATOW Chargen?"

I find the layout in the book counter-intuitive and over-complicated. I LOVE the lifepath system, but I find myself ducking back to the beginning of the process over and over.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2013, 14:41:00 »
I think the newly released conversion rules are too new for most people to have really played with them (and published long enough after ATOW that most people don't have many MW3 characters sitting around that they need converted) so I'm not sure people will be able to give you a detailed look at the conversion process.

I suppose if you're having that much of a problem with ATOW then making MW3 characters and converting them might be best, though I can't think that's the best long term option.

Have you tried looking at any of the threads where people make ATOW characters? Or maybe sit down and make a thread about making a character, or asking about sticking points?

I wonder if it might be possible to condense all the creation rules to a single page "primer."

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2013, 15:16:49 »
I wonder if it might be possible to condense all the creation rules to a single page "primer."

Give it a shot! :)
The solution is just ignore Paul.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2013, 16:02:14 »
While I wouldn't call them primers I did condense character creation to about 32 pages worth of electronic documents(which includes the actual mechanics of the design quirks and their descriptions from Strategic Operations) just so I could have something a bit easier on the toner to print out and pass around for character generation.

An actual primer might be interesting to give a go.

Lissette Woo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2013, 06:09:17 »
So far, we've been good off with MW3 character generation direct into AToW Skills and Traits. PCs and NPCs are fair even out depending which way you use for Character Points (Aging or CBT to MW3 Experience Rating).  Sure, if you use only AToW the general PC/NPC is a bit underbuild or have an surplus of negative traits. Normaly not a bad point, if you have your PCs/NPCs all fresh from the training for a house unit.

In General, the way AToW works is good, but its too much designed toward the Jihad Era and not to a general time line. Sure addional infos are out, but only if you buy more products, and thats a major step back for the whole system.

Currently we are still in the process to convert all our units playing (most of them are 150+ PCs/NPCs strong - so that may take some time, working after duty and in the short free time home).

Before Stage 1 : Most stuff here is simple One-to-One converting, only with some traits you've to watch, e.g. Quirk / Anti-Steiner-Davion, which becomes for my current unit at 3013 to an Compulsion / Pro Steiner or Pro Commonwealth trait of the same value.

At Stage 1 : Here too, with most skills and Fields its simple One-to-One work and like above only work that have major attention is with the traits, like Brave (1) which becomes an Combat Sense (4). Also most Natural Aptitudes need a little bit to watch depending which skill it recceive due to the (3) or (5) points value respectivly (300) or (500) valures in AToW.

At Stage 2 : Nearly the same as at Stage 1, plus while now at sone paths you can use an field of skills, direct use the same named field from AToW.

At Stage 3 : Fairly the same as Stage 2, while some Job Fields now miss some valueable skills or have them replaced by Interest e.g. the Medical Assistant with its Interest / Pharmacology which we transfert simply One-to-One into an Science / Pharmacology skill, to sound and match better into world. Some with the Engineering Skill which went of the screen completly, so we spend a blank Science / Engineering / Any. Same with Gunsmith, which we sent into Science / Engineering / Small Arms or Support Weapons or Heavy Weapons.

At Stage 4 : Thats simply adding in skill- and traitpoints for finalizing. Okay traits a fair simple just 1 to 100 and so on. Only skill levels need an comparing look to both MW3 and AToW tables.

Finaly, the only real work with converting from MW3 to AToW is at the skills, Attributes and Traits simply recceive and double zero after there original MW3 value. Sure some may work that way or not, thats free to each one. Also some will gain use the old points "ahhh, Paths system. one messed up roll and the PC is for the can!", because we use the free concept work, players came up with an simple concept of there PC and so wel let them choose paths per stage as well as events, save for those which need edge to spend. What our group and me personal like on the old MW3 system is that you have the paths as an simple and good background system, too. We use it with the free concept way so nobody is frustrated with bad dice rolls atleast at this stage of the game. Stuff like the massive amount of XP spend into SOC mostly went completly for skill specializing or further build up in both skills or traits (e.g. like Rank, Vehicle, Connections or banked with Edge to a fast refresh). What i dislike with AToW is the general pointing toward the Jihad Era and the missing amount of provided background of the modules. From the general point, AToW is well overworked specially if you do much combat against mechs and vehicles. Sure there are some minor drawbacks with the equipment and wounded themes, but nothing some D&D veterans can't work over.

Final words, both Systems have some great points, and both have negative ones. Sure MW3 more than AToW, but both are valuable enough to been played. O0
Kommandant Lissette "Warhammer" Woo - 180th Attack Wing "Blue Dragons" - LAAF
Captain Vanessa "Ratatöskr" Berg - Creedy Squirrel Salvage Company - Mercenary Command
Star Captain Scarlette - Vehicular Binary Alpha - 13th Wolf Regulars
Sergeant Major Jaqueline "Jacky" Novakowski - Callisto Squad - Blizzard One - Mercenary Command
Sergeant Kelly Bekker - Blackdale Lancers - Mercenary Command
Staff Sergeant Sandrine Harkon - 92nd Arcturan Force Recon Regiment - LAAF

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2013, 09:31:54 »
In General, the way AToW works is good, but its too much designed toward the Jihad Era and not to a general time line. Sure addional infos are out, but only if you buy more products, and thats a major step back for the whole system.

What's a 'general' timeline?
BattleTech is era specific, that's always been true. Giving full era support in ATOW would have expanded an already massive book well beyond the extent that's commercially viable. When ATOW was made, the storyline was right in the middle of the jihad, hence why its modules are geared towards that.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2013, 09:41:50 »
Also means you buy the book of the era you're interested in and leave the others until wallet allows.
   - Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2013, 11:12:57 »
One of the things that keeps me coming back to Battletech is that it does a great job of allowing you to only invest in what interests you without forcing you to buy a ton of supplements.

AToW in particular has an incredible capacity for fan expansion.  If you want a new module that more suits your tastes just make sure the initial cost matches what is rewarded at the end and you're golden.  Same for a new affiliation.

Lissette Woo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2013, 16:22:29 »
What's a 'general' timeline?
BattleTech is era specific, that's always been true. Giving full era support in ATOW would have expanded an already massive book well beyond the extent that's commercially viable. When ATOW was made, the storyline was right in the middle of the jihad, hence why its modules are geared towards that.

e.g. 3025 + 5 pages for the SL Era and + 5 pages for Clan Invasion and all other in extra products. But the rest , like monbvol said, have great potential.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2013, 16:57:35 by Lissette Woo »
Kommandant Lissette "Warhammer" Woo - 180th Attack Wing "Blue Dragons" - LAAF
Captain Vanessa "Ratatöskr" Berg - Creedy Squirrel Salvage Company - Mercenary Command
Star Captain Scarlette - Vehicular Binary Alpha - 13th Wolf Regulars
Sergeant Major Jaqueline "Jacky" Novakowski - Callisto Squad - Blizzard One - Mercenary Command
Sergeant Kelly Bekker - Blackdale Lancers - Mercenary Command
Staff Sergeant Sandrine Harkon - 92nd Arcturan Force Recon Regiment - LAAF

Jame Rowe

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2013, 16:16:14 »
This actually answers most of my question. My main remaining question is "which advantages/disadvantages need to be changed" and "is there a conversion document for someone who has MW3 but not AToW?" Thanks all!
I don't know what the Kitfox does as a mech, I just like foxes.

Panther, Enforcer, Hatchetman, Grasshopper!

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2013, 18:12:49 »
Hello,

This actually answers most of my question. My main remaining question is "which advantages/disadvantages need to be changed" and "is there a conversion document for someone who has MW3 but not AToW?" Thanks all!

A Time of War Companion, pp. 98-101, covers MW3rd to AToW Conversions.

Thanks,

- Herb