Author Topic: Army Reports 3025: FWLM, DCMS, AFFS, LCAF and CCAF!  (Read 90171 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Army Reports 3025: FWLM, DCMS, AFFS, LCAF and CCAF!
« Reply #120 on: 12 November 2014, 22:59:16 »
Because these are totally unofficial works. I proposed the idea to Herb Beas way back when, as a free product designed to help people transition from more structured list-based minis wargames to the free-form chaos that is BT. However, "free" products aren't really free, even when the author doesn't want a cent - there's layout, which is professionally done, plus competition for scarce fact-check and similar resources. Herb kindly decided not to block me taking the idea and doing it fan-work wise.

Speaking as forum admin, we try and limit the number of stickied threads. The body of knowledge in the "otW" articles, for example, makes having the article directory stickied. If we stickied any useful contributions by a member, it'd look like Shelob's Lair soon ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #121 on: 13 November 2014, 00:59:02 »
...I've been making units for the first time in a LONG time for the last couple days.  How about doing some simplified books for unit construction?  One for combat, Primitive, and civilian Mechs.  One for combat, Primitive, and support vehicles.  One for ASF, Primitives, and small craft.  One for Protos and BA.  One for Drop-, Jump-, and WarShips.

I'm jumping through the book, looking at the master engine chart, checking Primitive rules out of another, and keeping TacOps on the table just in case.  And carrying them - its around 10 pounds on my kitchen scale - with my lunch and work stuff in my back pack is annoying.  Not to mention that I'm carrying almost $200 in game books around.

How about it, Worktroll?  Could you find time to start a new project for us?   [whipit]
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

noisenerd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #122 on: 13 November 2014, 03:40:47 »
snip...

I gotcha. Makes sense.  O0

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #123 on: 13 November 2014, 16:15:48 »
RedPins, that's a project I'm unlikely to tackle. Firstly because that's core rule territory, and something lying at the heart of the IP. The only "rules" I covered were the BV & balancing stuff; the RATs came from Xotl's fan work, not official stuff. Similarly I'm unlikely to produce (say) 3050 versions, because there are various still-around sourcebooks and housebooks covering that stuff.

And secondly, as Welshman can testify, I'm not really a rules guy. Broad-brush, top-down sort of things, yes. Put it this way - I don't answer rules questions on Leviathans because I still can't consistently work bracketing fire properly ...

OTOH, if anyone wanted to come up with wholly fan-written "tactical primers" - a few hundred words about how each Great House fought in the 3025 era - there might be an opportunity for a v2 of the Army Reports. Would have to hit a delicate balance between dictating how people ought to play (ungood), and vague generalities, though.

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #124 on: 14 November 2014, 11:59:55 »
RedPins, that's a project I'm unlikely to tackle. Firstly because that's core rule territory, and something lying at the heart of the IP. The only "rules" I covered were the BV & balancing stuff; the RATs came from Xotl's fan work, not official stuff. Similarly I'm unlikely to produce (say) 3050 versions, because there are various still-around sourcebooks and housebooks covering that stuff.

And secondly, as Welshman can testify, I'm not really a rules guy. Broad-brush, top-down sort of things, yes. Put it this way - I don't answer rules questions on Leviathans because I still can't consistently work bracketing fire properly ...

OTOH, if anyone wanted to come up with wholly fan-written "tactical primers" - a few hundred words about how each Great House fought in the 3025 era - there might be an opportunity for a v2 of the Army Reports. Would have to hit a delicate balance between dictating how people ought to play (ungood), and vague generalities, though.

W.

...I did tactical primers for the Omega Sector Hivers and won second place to be published, but that was a long time ago for me.  And I'm still 40/60 in terms of win/lose, even if I have played for over two decades, so I don't feel competent to write such a thing.  And comparing the number of project started compared to ones actually finished...  Well.  It's unlikely to see the light of day.

I think it might be useful for the community, but those are good points.

Now, where's my 3145 faction books, hmm?  Stop shirking your responsibilities to the BT community, Workie!   :D
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Panthros

• Sergeant
« Reply #125 on: 04 August 2015, 15:07:52 »
I think it would be great to approach these from a clan perspective as well since there is gossip of an Alpha Strike box set with 10 clan mechs with 12 IS mechs.  Perhaps a mercenary one as well.

I have shown these pdf's to so many people.  Thank you for creating them.  It is a shame Herb did not see the value in making thee official.  Gee, might sell more mechs lol. Catalyst's approach of play whatever you want is fine but people want to add the flavor of the army they are building.  I had a buddy who loves Steiner and wanted people to look at his Alpha Strike company and see the Steiner in the mechs chosen.  He loved your pdf.

Catalyst is so careful not to have army lists which boggles my mind, but that is a topic for another time. I loved the old Fasa for aligning mechs to houses.   

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #126 on: 04 August 2015, 21:49:20 »
I thank you, Panthros! Sounds like the ARs have found their way into the hands of the sort of people they were intended to help!

And it wasn't that Herb didn't see value in them - far from it, he was very complementary. It's just that between the author and the fan there exists a layer of people who do wonderful things - art & layout.  And there's never enough of these. It came down to (roughly) "use limited time to layout & produce Army Reports, or use that time for product that generates revenue". And I can hardly fault that argument.

Besides, I had a lot of fun - I'm sure compared to the regular art & layout guys this was done using the equivalent of blunt sticks and leftover mascara ;) But I had a lot of fun.

(Handy hint - if you have access to a handy colour laser printer, print "booklet mode" (which automatically does 2 pages per sheet in most cases) - a perfect A5 booklet!)

Laconian

• Corporal
« Reply #127 on: 27 August 2015, 12:36:57 »
Tagged for later review.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #128 on: 24 January 2016, 18:18:06 »
Folks,

With Solaris 7 down, and likely to be so for some time (move to new platform, which isn't currently supporting some older Solaris 7 functions), I've put up some temporary links to the Army Reports on Google Drive. Hope these work!

Cheers,

W.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #129 on: 24 January 2016, 18:41:17 »
Thanks, Worktroll!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #130 on: 25 January 2016, 09:04:31 »
Folks,

With Solaris 7 down, and likely to be so for some time (move to new platform, which isn't currently supporting some older Solaris 7 functions), I've put up some temporary links to the Army Reports on Google Drive. Hope these work!

Cheers,

W.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering what happened to it. Your new links all do work as well.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #131 on: 25 January 2016, 09:25:15 »
WT, just a heads up. All the new links work fine, except the Lyran one. When I click on it, it goes to the FWL.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #132 on: 25 January 2016, 18:20:18 »
Hidden bias? ;)

Now fixed. Thanks for the catch, Colonel! Steiner goodness now in place.

W.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #133 on: 26 January 2016, 10:12:40 »
Thanks for fixing it. People must see the wonderfulness that is #STEINER!!!  :D
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #134 on: 22 December 2016, 10:31:18 »
worktroll , just ran across this thread and would like to thank you and the other gentleman for your brilliant but hard work on the 5 army books you've compiled . just 1 question , did the two of you ever complete the other 3 books .
i have quite a library of fan produced works that really brighten the game up . i'm sure i had read what you 2 complied from all the canon material available . just not in so few source books . both of you keep up the good work .
if the other 3 books are available would you give me a kink to them .

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #135 on: 22 December 2016, 15:12:43 »
Thanks!

Sorry, never moved past these five. The mood had passed.

Cheers,

W

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #136 on: 23 September 2017, 14:44:56 »
These are great!!! I've been looking for something like these for a long time! I'm introducing 4 new players to the Btech world and these will be PERFECT to print out and give to the players as short consice primers, sort of like "player handbooks" to the setting so they can choose their factions! So much less intimidating than sorting for info in multiple150 page printed books! I love these little manuals so much...  :-*

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #137 on: 23 September 2017, 14:48:37 »
Many thanks!

W.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #138 on: 23 September 2017, 23:13:47 »
I honestly wish you have enough desired to considered doing the Periphery since their smaller forces/factions.
Give this is going to be the only Combat Manual like books we have, frankly these are superior.

This is truly a master piece of fan-made products.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

LegoMech

• Private
« Reply #139 on: 28 October 2017, 02:27:14 »
These are amazing.  My friend and I used to play back in college 25 years ago and now his son wants to learn.  I WILL be using these to aid his introduction.  Thanks for doing these!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #140 on: 03 November 2017, 01:39:48 »
Thank'ee kindly, young master!  :worktroll:

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #141 on: 18 January 2022, 05:39:02 »
Just a heads up, Work Troll, but the links are now in a "request permission" mode.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #142 on: 18 January 2022, 06:23:12 »
I updated the Battletech Tech Fanon Wiki's links so they include the Wiki's G Drive which is the back up to Worktroll's stuff. So their still downloadable from there.

Just go to the page you want look in the info page for the download link. Not the original one i kept at the bottom of the page.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #143 on: 24 January 2022, 05:05:34 »
Just a heads up, Work Troll, but the links are now in a "request permission" mode.

Yup. Noticed that last year. I actually quite like being able to see the interest, and try to respond quickly to requests; some folks are kind enough to add comments, and I've conversed with a couple of them.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #144 on: 24 January 2022, 07:06:16 »
Yup. Noticed that last year. I actually quite like being able to see the interest, and try to respond quickly to requests; some folks are kind enough to add comments, and I've conversed with a couple of them.
Is there any chances of seeing one or two more such as a Periphery version or more interestingly ComStar book?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #145 on: 24 January 2022, 08:44:36 »
Is there any chances of seeing one or two more such as a Periphery version or more interestingly ComStar book?

I'm going to guess the answer is no, but if it was possible it would be great to see a Mercenary's one.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #146 on: 06 November 2022, 22:16:20 »
I updated the Battletech Tech Fanon Wiki's links so they include the Wiki's G Drive which is the back up to Worktroll's stuff. So their still downloadable from there.

Just go to the page you want look in the info page for the download link. Not the original one i kept at the bottom of the page.

Thanks. I was puzzled by the permission links.  This is much better, if a bit add-ridden.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #147 on: 06 November 2022, 23:05:26 »
Thanks. I was puzzled by the permission links.  This is much better, if a bit add-ridden.
Permission Link?  I'll look at it, the wiki Gdrive may not be fully enabled. I'll take quick glance.

It seems to be fine, it looks worktroll's links aren't working on his google drive.  His isn't enabled.   The ones marked Battletech Fanon Wiki Google Drive Download Link will work.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2022, 23:21:58 by Wrangler »