Author Topic: Jade Falcon Unit Insignia  (Read 23790 times)

Bren

• Warrant Officer
Jade Falcon Unit Insignia
« on: 29 October 2015, 07:49:09 »
Trying to scrape off some rust ... figured I'd try to interpret some of the descriptions of Clan insignia. If anyone has any input I'd love to hear it.

I plan to keep adding to the lot as time goes on.

1st Falcon Striker Cluster
305th Assault Cluster
12th Falcon Regulars Cluster

4th Falcon Velites Cluster
3rd Talon Cluster
94th Striker Cluster

2nd Falcon Jaegers
124th Striker Cluster
5th Battle Cluster
Turkina Keshik
7th Falcon Regulars Cluster

« Last Edit: 02 October 2021, 15:18:33 by Bren »

Bren

• Warrant Officer
Re: Jade Falcon Unit Insignia
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2015, 07:53:33 »

1st Falcon Striker Cluster; 'a peregrine in full pursuit of a larger flying reptile'

305th Assault Cluster; 'a swooping red falcon trailing a ring of blood around a shadowed green world'

12th Falcon Regulars Cluster; 'a jade talon gripping a blue world shadowed by ice'
« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 23:31:21 by Bren »

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2015, 13:00:13 »
Very nice.  :)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2015, 17:51:28 »
My thoughts:

#1  This one looks great on its own.  As a Jade Falcon emblem, The colors just seem wrong for the bird.

#2  I still like the planet, the bird, and the trail. It's the background blob that just doesn't work.  Leave that out and I think it's perfect.

#3  Tone back the ice a little(but not too much), and maybe detail the planet a bit.  Check out pics of Neptune.  I don't think it fits the idea of "shadowed by ice," but that sounds silly anyway.  I like your idea better.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2015, 19:02:34 »
Nice job!

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2015, 22:16:09 »
For the 1st Strikers - I did struggle with the colours a bit, but I'm not sure what other direction to try.

The 'blobs' aren't really part of the insignia, just a backdrop. Sort of like a patch. I'll try dropping them.

I like the bold levels of ice for the 12th Regulars, myself - but I agree that there might be too much. The planet underneath doesn't read as much as it could, I think. I'll definitely look into giving all of the planets another pass later to see if some more details work better.

4th Falcon Velites Cluster: 'a swooping arctic gyrfalcon trailing a white ring around a shadowed blue world'

3rd Talon Cluster: 'a jade-coloured claymore driven diagonally through a shadowed white world'

94th Striker Cluster: 'a swooping black falcon trailing a black ring around a shadowed blood-red world'
« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 23:33:55 by Bren »

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2015, 08:19:47 »
Nice work  O0

By the 4th Falcon Velites Cluster i would made icicle like the blod drops.
And by 3rd Talon Cluster: i would made smoke clouds obscure the green world  8) this sure have a great look than.

Insert in the 305th Assault Cluster whire by te blood drops
Example:

The 12th Falcon Regulars Cluster can you add white to made the ice more shining like ice but this is my faforit art from you it looks so cool

94th Striker Cluster can you add more motion lines on the wings and 1 by the eye who show the red lightning from the birds eyes and the blood planet can get more texture

Your Arts looks like simple versions to paint them easyer on a Mech but for shoing them in a book they need more ditails
I hope my well-intentioned criticism helps you.
All in all, this is good work.

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2015, 00:59:19 »
Nice work  O0

Great idea with the ice ring - I'll definitely experiment with the look and see how it goes. I'm always trying out little details like you suggested for the 94th's black falcon, most of the time it doesn't look right to me - but it's always worth a look.

I don't quite understand what you mean in your suggestions for the 3rd Talon and 305th Assault images.

Adding some 'shine' to the ice for the 12th Regulars is a good idea, but as you noticed I'm really going for a simple, spartan look. I feel the Clans (the Falcons, anyway) wouldn't go for lavish, ornate, heraldry for their units and to this end I'm always looking to cut out extra detail and colours.

In that vein I'm actually considering getting rid of the blood dripping effect for the 305th's ring in order to match the other three. Something still doesn't sit well with me about the look - I'm just not pulling it off.

The following are my interpretations of the Falcon Revival Galaxy insignias as described. These are essentially what I pictured in my head from the original sourcebook - before the versions were drawn up in later material. I think that before the Field Manual series, the authors of the original books intended that all galaxies had the same look, and just had greek letter and/or colour changes.

Gamma 'Jade Falcon' Galaxy: 'a diving jade falcon set against a shadowed white world'

Delta 'Gyrfalcon' Galaxy: 'a diving white falcon set against a shadowed blue world'

Vau 'Peregrine' Galaxy: 'a diving ash-blue falcon set against a blue-black world'
« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 23:26:38 by Bren »

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2015, 03:12:10 »

2nd Falcon Jaegers: 'the Galaxy insignia set against a white snowflake'

124th Striker Cluster: 'a swooping peregrine trailing a blue ring around a shadowed blue-black world'

« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 23:34:26 by Bren »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2015, 06:18:22 »
Very nice!

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2015, 15:17:41 »
I really liked how the galaxy design turned out so I developed it a bit:

EDIT:
Added a new version of Epsilon Galaxy emblem which has no basis in canon:

Epsilon 'Lanner' Galaxy: 'a diving dark-grey falcon set against a red-brown world'

My thinking is that, unlike most other Clans, the Jade Falcons have a uniform type of insignia for their front-line Galaxies. Other Clans use a standardized emblem for their garrison Galaxies, and unique emblems for units with more prestige.

Now that there is finally a front-line replacement Galaxy for the void left by Vau Galaxy; Epsilon has 'graduated' to front-line status, been given a proper title, and has adopted the new insignia ... in a version of events in my head, anyway.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 23:22:36 by Bren »

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2015, 23:34:46 »
I love this!  The standardization you've done looks so much better than the cartoonish canon insignia. For me, it looks easier on the eye and makes identification faster.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2015, 02:49:08 »
I love this!  The standardization you've done looks so much better than the cartoonish canon insignia. For me, it looks easier on the eye and makes identification faster.

Thanks, most BattleTech art puts a big smile on my face, but a lot of the unit insignia art really looks like a half-assed effort,  don't match their descriptions or are just 'wrong'.

A Tiger tank for the Star Adder's Alpha Galaxy immediately comes to mind. Christoffer Trossen must be spinning in his grave office chair.

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 06 December 2015, 23:09:17 »
Trying some photoshop mumbo jumbo on the 2nd Jaegers insignia.

OK for a first go. Maybe tighter 'stitching', a border of some sort, some wording ... might be worth trying again. I should look up some existing patches for ideas - was just wingin it with this one.

« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 23:29:07 by Bren »

Ascension

• Corporal
  • Asker of Questions
« Reply #14 on: 07 December 2015, 12:34:28 »
That's a neat idea, and it turned out really well for a first attempt! I do think, though, that giving it borders would go a long way toward making it look more "real." As far as I know, insignia like that are usually patches, rather than being embroidered directly onto uniforms, and those typically have thick borders.

Random example. (Random, but it does have a bird on it!)

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 07 December 2015, 13:42:01 »
Relatively easy one:

3rd Battle Cluster; 'the Jade Falcon insignia within a golden ring'

However! I can't decide which attitude of golden ring makes the most sense. Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 23:22:00 by Bren »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #16 on: 07 December 2015, 23:11:26 »
I like the fourth or diagonal one the best.

Ascension

• Corporal
  • Asker of Questions
« Reply #17 on: 07 December 2015, 23:19:17 »
Agreed, the fourth one looks best. And I'd say the vertical ring is the runner-up. (It was good enough for the Hat-in-the-Ring Squadron, it's good enough for the Falcons!)

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 08 December 2015, 09:07:15 »
I like the first one best, and the last one second best. 

Can I request a 1st Falcon Striker insignia?  I'd like to print it for use on my minis. 

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 08 December 2015, 21:17:12 »
Can I request a 1st Falcon Striker insignia?  I'd like to print it for use on my minis.

An attempt at the 1st Strikers is on the first post.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #20 on: 30 March 2016, 23:52:53 »
Relatively easy one:

However! I can't decide which attitude of golden ring makes the most sense. Any thoughts?

To my eyes the emblem option in the upper right corner looks best with that description, as it gets the point across without obscuring anything. Damn nice job there!

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 01 January 2017, 05:28:07 »
Haven't had time to work toward finalizing these (and others), but figured I'd post some sketches anyway.

The Turkina Keshik insignias we have seen have never particularly stirred my Falcon pride, I always pictured something much more aggressive from the original description; "A plummeting Jade Falcon in full cry clutching a golden sword set against a shadowed blue world."

Diane Anu's killer 5th Battle Cluster; "Golden talons gripping a dead wolf set against a black shield below a gold 'V'."

Zeta Galaxy is more of a 'punch-up' of the original version seen in the books. Really digging the hard-luck, can't-catch-a-break Zetas since losing the Homeworlds for the Falcons. "A soaring jade falcon carrying a shield, on which is emblazoned a daggarstar."

« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 23:18:17 by Bren »

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #22 on: 01 January 2017, 15:14:56 »
Wonderful! Can't wait for the finished ones. Good to see the thread continues, too.  :)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #23 on: 01 January 2017, 23:12:11 »
Here, here!

Can't wait to see some more!

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 11 January 2017, 03:09:43 »
A few more sketches:

9th Talon Cluster; "a peregrine perched on a golden shield, which is emblazoned with the silhouette of a lance and the number '9' in blue."

8th Falcon Regulars; "a Death-like figure bearing a scythe dripping blood." The 'dripping blood' bit is only mentioned in the original description. Perhaps this was a bit of flair added by the commander at the time (as Aidan did with the Guards insignia), who left the unit after it was nearly destroyed in the Refusal War.

Jade Falcon Guards; "a swooping black falcon with luminescent green eyes, wings outstretched, descending, clutching a silver katana." I moved away from what was depicted in the Jade Falcon Sourcebook because that rendition didn't quite fit the description in previous books ('wings outstretched, descending' and 'eyes').
« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 23:17:55 by Bren »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #25 on: 11 January 2017, 06:12:14 »
Very cool sketches!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #26 on: 12 January 2017, 09:02:24 »
Very awesome stuff! :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

jj.kelley.ptk@gmail.com

• Recruit
« Reply #27 on: 22 February 2017, 23:17:24 »
I really like your deigns and sketches. They are really cool!

jjm1

• Recruit
« Reply #28 on: 17 June 2018, 06:22:05 »
I used your design for the 5th Battle Cluster Insignia here:
https://user000000000001.deviantart.com/art/MWO-Turkina-Jade-Falcon-Epsilon-Galaxy-750161590

Your draft is a really good design. I couldn't find an official insignia in time so just did a quick coloring in job on it, and its really small. Hope you don't mind.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #29 on: 17 June 2018, 08:06:35 »
Relatively easy one:

peps could very easily use ALL of them, each one to represent an individual Trinary... :D
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.