Author Topic: AU: Der Tag (The Day)  (Read 86804 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: AU: Der Tag (The Day)
« Reply #300 on: 04 November 2018, 22:22:09 »
Just want you to know,  :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #301 on: 05 November 2018, 00:55:24 »
Just want you to know,  :thumbsup:
8) >:D

Thank you very much, in case my command of emoticons is lacking.

Hmmm...that sounds like the decepticon therapist, doesn't it.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #302 on: 01 January 2019, 01:06:55 »
Happy New Year!

(and please excuse the minimal editing)

State of The Trade
A God’s Eye-View look at the life and market of Mercenaries in the Der Tag AU

I was just about certain I’d done this before now, but it seems as though it is something I’ve only alluded to.

I’d like to be able to say of 3099, that it was the best of times for mercs and it was worst of times; but only the later would be true. Frankly, the year 3099 is only the most recent in a long string of “Worst Year in Living Memory to be a Mercenary” that the trade has had to suffer through since the end of the Jihad.

The Jihad put confidence in Mercenaries overall at an all-time low across the entirety of known space. As time passed and more details emerged of mercenary activities on the side of the angels, this should have buoyed things and begun a slow, steady return to the norms of the early 3040s, if not the mid 3050s.

This did not occur.

For one thing; Republic-aligned media made sure and certain to push some stories and not others and any story with Devlin Stone’s stamp of approval on it was sure to spread far and wide in the years after the Jihad, while anything going against the official word emanating from the cradle of humanity was just as certain to go unheeded and unmourned. So, if you were the Kell Hounds or any similar storied Band of Heroes who fought for the coalition; bully for you: The Republic made sure that everyone knew you were the good guys and then some. Likewise; if you fought for the Word of Blake, then you were damned forever in the eyes of decent, honest people and deserved to be hunted to the ends of the Galaxy. Anything else got lost in the shuffle. This cemented a class-system within the trade that meant that not all mercs were treated equal, regardless of previous reputation or even proven capabilities.

For another; the Republic cracked down heavily on Mercenaries as a class, both within their realm and---using influence which was still immense, even after Operation: SCOUR---beyond it. It was made known that the Republic and naturally; the RAF were officially and openly in the Status Quo business. That meant stability and stability meant peace; a peace enforced at gunpoint if need be. And anything which impeded that was to be dealt with; harshly and fast. At the top of that list was the mercenary business, itself.

Afterall; nothing upsets the balance of power more than being able to just hire-in your own band of trained killers, now does it?

Even with the discourse on the subject well in hand and public opinion by the throat, it was still clear that the best way to limit the trade in hired soldiers was to control and direct it. The powers that be within the Republic knew very well that Mercenaries as a class and as a trade could never be eliminated entirely; no matter how politically undesirable they might be. In addition; it remained that the Republic (especially insofar as Devlin Stone and his old comrades were concerned) had many friends; political, personal and strategic within the merc trade and it would not do to bring ultimatums to them as had been attempted with the formerly-mercenary SLDFiE.

Instead, it came to pass in very shot order that the official policy of the Republic, even from it’s most nascent days was to seize and maintain a controlling interest in the activites and decisions of the Mercenary Review and Bonding Commission.

From a layman’s perspective, this might seem comparable to the interests once maintained by Wolf’s Dragoons. But whereas the Dragoons had placed impartiality and professionalism at the top of their list of priorities; from the Grand Re-Opening of the Arc Royale Hiring Hall, the key tenants of the Republic watchdogs and power brokers were the vetting of units and contracts.

No unit would find work of any kind, which was not approved of by the Republic and no contract would be entertained which did not have the Republic’s blessings. From 3092 onwards, more sensitive contracts even required the attachment of RAF “Advisors” often in addition to any Liaisons insisted upon by the hiring party. All contracts had to pass through an assessment stage where experts from the Republic’s diplomatic corps looked for ways to resolve any issue peacefully or with minimum actual force.

Finally, certain units were to be carefully “Managed”. This amounted to special status in pay and benefits in keeping certain units; like the Kell Hounds on official and unofficial retainer; to ensure their continued loyalty; to prevent untidy disruptions to the Stellar-Political Landscape and maintain a hidden reserve to the RAF “Just In Case”. These outfits still took what passed for normal contracts, under the new regime, but you could count on the pay being higher, the risks lower and the perks more numerous and grander.

Though never actually intended to be so; these policies amounted to egregious favouritism and clear cronyism by the Republic-Controlled MRBC. Alternate Hiring Halls were re-established on Solaris VII; but these proved no be no better received and the Republic was faced with the prospect of the entire trade slipping through their fingers if something was not done immediately. Already, hundreds of units had gone officially bankrupt and dozens had fled to the dark corners of the Inner Sphere and Periphery; there to operate as unbonded Mercenary Companies. Worse still was the anti-Republican sentiment that the policies were fermenting among many would-be clients who could not get their contracts let on Arc Royale.

Less than ten years after the Jihad and the Republic was already gathering enemies like so many Pharaoh Beer tabs in a Lyran charity drive.

A partial solution was found and in 3095; the Hiring Halls on Galatea were re-opened under the auspices of a reborn Mercenary Review Board, once more under the management of ComStar. Officially non-partisan; the MRB traded direct control for indirect, but thorough oversight. ComStar being very much a creature of the Republic by this juncture; this meant that while the underlings of the Senate lost their direct power to let and veto contracts and to disbar certain companies and individuals from legitimate work; Republic Intelligence, through what remained of ROM maintained complete or near-complete knowledge of every officially-bonded contract and unit operating in the Inner Sphere or Periphery from the Hall’s opening in July of 3095, through to the present.

Additional satellite halls were opened on ground gone fallow; worlds such as Astrokazy, Fletcher, Herotitus, Noisiel, Westerhand, Arkab, Regulus and El Dorado receiving satellite Halls over the next two years, but business has remained slow. While permitting the revival of the MRB was an official compromise, no-one really trusts it yet and, it turns out; with good reason. Republic Intelligence is stretched paper-thin and ROM just is not what it used to be, so by 3099, everyone knows that signing a bonded contract is the same thing as sending the Republic a verigraph laying out your military plans. Understandably, even staunch Republican Allies aren’t comfortable with that. In this way, the trade has further shrunk and confidence on mercs decreased again alongside well-founded rumours of units counting Republican moles in their ranks.

So why did I do all this? Looking at the rolls of the SLDFiE you’ll find many of the former big-ticket merc units now counted as regulars; the Eridani Light Horse (Naturally), Wolf’s Dragoons (WTF?!?) and others are official SLDF units. More still are under contract. While the 3rd League is not the employer the Republic is, many Bonded and un-bonded outfits have found work as SLDF auxiliaries or contracted to businesses and private citizens in the 3rd League.

But beyond that? The Merc trade is arguably at the lowest ebb we ever see it in the BTU, except maybe the dark age. And to my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong) in the Dark Age, no one was actively trying to suppress the trade like this. But in my AU, they are; so why?

I don’t hate mercenaries; I think they are the best part of the setting and my preference for any campaign. But frankly, including the Jihad 70%+ as written demands this as a logical outcome for mercenaries. So, if you are a player who loves your big, flashy merc units and likes Der Tag; the interwar years have not been kind to you. Nor frankly will be the war to come, sadly.

Being a merc in the Der Tag AU, as far as I have scripted it means either eking out a firefly-like existence under the noses of the Republic and her allies or playing a lot of politics and other dirty games to keep your bonded outfit in business. Or you could hang with the Hounds and take safe, lucrative garrison and humanitarian contracts, I guess.

The trade still exists and what remains of it is healthy enough to support the much-****** military-industrial complexes of the Der Tag AU selling top-of-the-line hardware to those mercs. Just not in the rates we saw in the 50s and 60s. If the Der Tag AU was an official product, then the emblematic mech we’d put on all the products would be the Omni-Marauder made by Kathil GM and sold primarily to mercs, right out to the Periphery.

What the trade looks like right now is different though; it’s primarily small outfits of less than a regiment in size and most often in the sweet spot between a lance and a battalion. These are the highly-self-sufficient survivors of the Jihad and the fallout in the trade that followed. They tend to have their own ships to some extent and be composed of a diverse mix of capabilities to make them both flexible and marketable. Finally; they are often built around a core of BattleMechs of some description; be they ancient cobbled-together MODs or brand-new Diamond Shark-built ClanTech Omnis.

A key difference between Der Tag and the Dark Age derives from the bass-ackwards way they tried to make mechs more important by taking them out of the setting and replacing them with vast hoards of other units. Even in a universe where the Republic is sending out inspectors to shoulder-check everyone’s military fusion engine production there are still plenty of mechs available and being made. But warfare in Der Tag is as much about getting down in the dirt where a mech is less useful or most useful as a support unit in order to show a grittier, uglier side of warfare than the sanitized version we normally see in Battletech.

You simply could not afford to maintain a lance of any kind of mechs and not keep infantry around for security and occupation of key terrain. And that’s just one example in a universe where there are still many more conventional regiments for every mech unit.

The Dark Age was introduced to us with the idea that many of the great merc units of old were history. Honestly; if I was writing general MilSF in the interwar years; I wouldn’t even blink at setting it in a hardscrabble merc outfit; yes, many units are still dead and gone and others are RAF or SLDFiE Auxiliaries and more have gone legit as house units. But honestly? You wouldn’t notice from a player’s perspective or from any hypothetical fiction. It would get talked about, but the essential nature of BT would be maintained.

Truthfully though; I have Der Tag mainly laid out and this is not the story to return mercs to their former glory. The free-lances of the BTU have a-ways yet to go before they can be redeemed. Memories need to fade and the stellar-political landscape needs to change. Der Tag is about making that change happen, but not what comes after so much.

Don’t get me wrong; I think this game is basically *about* free-wheeling mercs dripping with personal agency in an SF-Feudal setting, who own their own multi-million C-Bill Fusion-Powered fighting machines and go about like knights errant. But the fact is that to tell that story, I’d need to set my work either much earlier and change more laid-out history or much later and lay down a lot more that isn’t explored directly and I’d rather pick up right where I think the best of the fluff left off with the Jihad, itself.

However, if I was to continue the AU after the Der Tag era, it would be focussing on bringing about a crystallization or a “From-Concentrate” version of that kind of fertile merc atmosphere, while enhancing the feudal nature of the setting, but without another tech collapse (why do what you already done?). I’d also like to make the Clans cool again. Again; groundwork for this is laid in Der Tag with advancement of technology and the cultural transformation of various Clans into something *else*. But again; this is not so much their story.

So, being as this is all about mercs, I’ll take the opportunity to defend a few other key decisions I’ve made.

1. Turning key storied units into lap dogs for what are clearly the bag guys of my AU.

Agreed; not pretty, but it is logical. The only other option I had was having the formerly-allied Kell Hounds, Highlanders and others turn on Stone/Lear after the Jihad for some reason and frankly that would have made the battles to come less interesting and more of a circle-beating.

2. Making the Dragoons an SLDFiE unit.

It was that or disband them and while I know a lot of people hate the ‘goons for their endless plot-armour and equally-endless and put-upon awesomeness; I’ve always thought they were cool. So why join the SLDFiE? Because Condition: FERAL was a massive leadership failure from start to finish and amounted to a gross dereliction of duty on the part of…oh…the entire command structure, really. While the Jihad was raging is one this, but as soon as the shooting stops, there are things that need to be set right; the old guard had to go and the survivors needed a purpose. Given the options of disbandment, joining the RAF piecemeal, the Kell Hounds as an abbreviated unit, going into business for themselves or joining the SLDFiE and rebuilding; most chose the SLDFiE, the overwhelming majority in fact.

Why? Because after Condition: FERAL; the Dragoons are simply *DONE* with cults of personality. Maeve and all the other “Wolves”? They are dead. Trials of Grievance until you die. So, after that, following Stone? Or putting their trust is whatever member of the Kell-Family is running the hounds? No thank you.

3. Turning the Republic against Mercenaries.

Again; simply consistent with maintaining peace, being against private ownership of weapons, ect.

I could have made something up, but frankly; while weirder things have happened in history, this doesn’t mean you can hand-wave whatever you like into your writing. Ironically; fiction *does* have to make sense. Otherwise you loose suspension of disbelief.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #303 on: 01 January 2019, 01:49:27 »
I always wondered why the dragoons never joined the SLDF mk2.
They were supposed to aid the inner sphere and that would have made them a legitimate force.
The mercenary thing just did not work. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #304 on: 01 January 2019, 09:37:26 »
I always wondered why the dragoons never joined the SLDF mk2.
They were supposed to aid the inner sphere and that would have made them a legitimate force.
The mercenary thing just did not work. :thumbsup:

Which is not unreasonable at all, but kind-of counter to Dragoon's culture; they aren't *joiners*

When forming the New Model Army; the jugglers looked at the Dragoons for the cadre force and rejected them for that reason.

Condition: FERAL made a degree of sense culturally; but I felt that sooner or later the Dragoon's ever-present cultural mores would win out over the cult of personality. 24 hours? Maybe 36? Sure. But beyond that the Junior and Senior leaders should have been stepping in and calming things down. There was no military reason to squander the remains of the Dragoons and as much of the AMC as could be gathered in a death-ride against Terra. Even if they aren't convinced before; this is going to make believers out of anyone who survives and If/When the Dragoons get their feet under them again and have more than a few moments with the band back together and in one place, at one time there ought to be a major leadership crisis with heads rolling all over. That is the kind of cultural shift that is going to make alternatives palatable.

What are those alternatives likely to be? Well, as I laid out; disband: because who needs another highly independant merc unit floating around? Join the RAF and cease to exist as a unit; Join the Kell Hounds: effectively to put them under trustworthy oversight. Break up the band and go independent; which is going to look really good to a lot of them at this point, but means Wolf's Dragoons are a dead letter or join the SLDFiE as cadre for a subordinate unit.

Something similar happened with the ComGuards; Case White was stupid, crippled the Guards as an organization and irreparably damaged the bonds between the senior leadership and the guys and gals doing the fighting and dying. In the canon timeline, most joined the RAF; which makes sense. But in an AU where there is still a standing Star League Army to run to, well; that feels more like home than the RAF under Stone.

A.E. Housman

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #305 on: 03 January 2019, 07:30:44 »
TAG, no pun intended. 
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #306 on: 21 February 2019, 16:06:29 »
LosTech and NewTech;
The State of Strategically Important Technology in the 32nd Century
A Prospectus
24 July 3099
By Doctor Lisa Finch, Esq.

The formal and Informal talks held on Terra at the end of the Jihad and again; following the finalization of The Republic’s borders have blossomed into a series of treaties and agreements limiting the production and fielding of all military armaments and curtailing the size of the armies extant in the Inner Sphere and to a lesser extent; the Periphery, today.

While these understandings limit what can be built, kept or used in war and peace; they do not, for the most part place undue limitations on lines of scientific inquiry which may or may not be principally destructive in nature, but which may also have humanitarian spin-offs.

Likewise; contrary to what some tabloid rags and propaganda campaigns might have the public believe; The Republic is fully invested in the proliferation and preservation of the sum total of human knowledge and wisdom. Never again shall humanity toil under the privations of a tech-collapse as happened during the Succession Wars. Instead, this knowledge; all knowledge, even that with military applications will be safeguarded in hardened computer core facilities located within the borders of The Republic and completely accessible to all parties; multiply redundant and free of charge, for all time.

With this in mind then; it is important to remember that while we now live in an era of peace and prosperity; the masters of industry and the brilliant minds of every realm are ever active in their pursuit of ever-higher levels of understanding in the various technological fields.

The purpose of this report is to provide an overview on the state of the industry as regards advanced military technology, in particular; as well as the general degree of comfort and capability to produce it which is prevalent among the arsenals of the major potential belligerent nations today.

What we consider to be Standard Technology; that which is now and was, before; easily attainable throughout all classes on most industrialized worlds of the Inner Sphere, remains a stable and secure achievement.

Some backsliding was observed during and continuing after the Jihad for some years, but things have stabilized now and efforts in most of the Inner Sphere and the Periphery continue with the goal of making a post-3030 standard of living available on every settled world within 800 light-years of Terra.

The term “Retro-Technology” has been expanded in recent years and common use to include all sub-Star League technology.  While the term is more correctly taken to apply exclusively to technology which was in common use from the days of the old Terran Alliance until the advent of what we now think of as “Standard Technology”; most people are comfortable applying this appellation to all instances of people, industries, worlds and communities which make use of primitive, sometimes very primitive techniques, technologies and ways of life in order to get by.

There are many instances in which RetroTech may be employed profitably or even preferentially; even on Terra, Itself. But there still remain many communities and worlds throughout The Inner Sphere; to say nothing of the Periphery where RetroTech is a way of life. Mainly this is due to circumstances beyond the control of those who live there or the consequences of conflicts now centuries old on the local and near-Galactic economy. But there remain niche neo-luddite cultures such as the Omniss of the former Outworlds Alliance and the Exituri; originating in the former Free Worlds League, to name but two which cleave to these primitive technologies by preference as the quaint traditions of outlier religious and cultural mores.

Since the Jihad and the great Raven migration into the Outworlds, Things have begun to change for these two groups, in particular.

The Word of Blake Jihad saw technology turned on mankind as never before in living memory. This conflict renewed imagery and cultural memories from the Succession Wars, breathing new life into the Neo-Luddite message. Besides hundreds of new upstart cults on as many worlds and influential leaders in local and state politics (notably the so-called “Green Movement”); the general distaste for the dark side of technology has allowed these and similar movements to spread with the refugees from these and other regions. As a result; the Omniss and Exituri can now be found on dozens more worlds than before the Jihad.

The Exituri have spread outward from Shiloh to settle throughout the Andurian Pact and The Republic. Reliable reporting out of the Raven Alliance and through NGOs working with refugees tell us that the Omniss have found co-habitation with their new neighbours unpalatable. For their own part; the Snow Ravens find the Omniss equally difficult to deal with; they refuse to consort with Trueborns or members of the Scientist caste in any way and will only deal with Warrior Caste Freebirths reluctantly.

It is notable that Terran History contains parallels of similar cultures fleeing the encroachment of technological edifices and more advanced ways of life.

The Omniss have given ground reluctantly; scattering to the most remote worlds of the former Alliance as well as into deep space. Most, however have chosen to return to the peripheral worlds of the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns and the former Federated Suns. While the Ravens’ Clan ways still rest lightly on the Outworlds, it seems that even the Dragon is a preferable master when faced with daily reminders of a hyper-advanced foreign culture.

There is a Clan context for RetroTech as well; where some of Kerensky’s children have resorted to less-advanced Spheroid designs and equipment and even more primitive or simplistic versions of their own materiel. Where this is found it has been done for reasons of expediency and lack of other viable alternatives.

Whether or not ClanTech truly represents the next step in humanity’s development as a technic civilization remains open to debate. What is not open to debate is the ongoing race for Spheroid industry to internalize the lessons we can learn from ClanTech and to reproduce and even surpass it.

Less certain is how we can even categorize hyper-advanced technology for discussion. Can we any longer call “ClanTech”, Clan? Have we surpassed it? Will we soon? Does ClanTech represent the only fundamental path forward or mainly one potential development branch?

At current; all of the Major Powers possess the capacity to reproduce Clan-Technology to a limited extent. Thanks to the bequest of the Word of Blake, The Republic certainly possesses the greatest mastery of this level of technological refinement, but the Federated Suns likely possess a greater capacity to produce certain types of ClanTech weapons.

That the Word of Blake and now the Federated Suns have managed to replicate ClanTech on an industrial scale and produce their own models of ClanTech Equipment indicates a mastery of the technology we could only dream ruefully of in the spring of 3050. The Federated Suns appear to have gained the majority of the FedCom Reverse-Engineering program in the Civil War and combined this with an industrial culture which embraces innovation and change. The sheer momentum of the Lyran Industrial Machine impeded progress for decades and only the Post-War slowdown has allowed them to catch up, but now they can finally match the Draconis Combine in being able to produce small quantities of direct unlicensed copies of ClanTech Equipment; albeit, at the traditional immense cost. Of the Successor States; the Capellan Confederation has the least affinity for hyper-advanced technology. They actually possessed more from WOBM salvage than they did from 3rd-hand Clan sources until the Diamond Sharks restarted exports in earnest after the Jihad.

The Word of Blake’s own ClanTech program came as an especial shock to their victims during the Jihad as it seemed to spring fully-formed from nearly a standing start. What this reveals is that ComStar was either mistaken or lying when it came to WOBROM infiltration of their own reverse-engineering programs, as well as the extent of the scuttling programs carried out in the wake of the loss of Terra to The Word. This remains speculation, but clearly the narrative sold to the rest of the Inner Sphere of hermit enclaves squatting in the Free World’s League and cut-off from samples of more advanced technology than was generally available was at the very least; incorrect.

In the wake of the Jihad, The Republic benefited greatly from seized WOB facilities on Terra and elsewhere, as well as massive quantities of locally-fabricated copies of Clan Equipment, salvage and new Word of Blake models built to Clan Standards. Sometimes, this equipment has been built under primitive conditions and to lax standards. This often resulted in weapons and components which were not built to last, but worked well enough to cause woeful damage to Coalition and Allied forces before the factories were overrun, in a chilling echo of Stefan Amaris’ wartime production policies. That this has occasionally proven true of Clan-Built equipment is also notable.

It is expected that between salvage from over a dozen major and minor conflicts and exports from their Clan protectorates; the so-called “Star League Defence Force-in-Exile” holds significant stocks of ClanTech materiel. It is furthermore suspected that they have at least some limited capacity to produce it themselves; likely in the form of what are by now certainly licensed copies. This is based on the possession of at least one facility capable of producing ClanTech ammunition as early as the mid 3060s and thus a long familiarity with the technology.

Of the Periphery States; naturally the Raven Alliance benefits most from the capabilities and access to ClanTech, but general availability outside the Raven’s Touman is barely superior to that enjoyed in the Taurian Concordat or Magistracy of Canopus. What our sources seem to be indicating is that the resources of Clan Snow Raven are stretched to the breaking point by whatever needs currently drive them. Such that they have precious little in the way of their own technology to share with the native Outlanders. Being a culture which is naturally pacifistic and at least somewhat averse to technology as a rule, this hasn’t bothered the Alliance’s civilians nearly as much as the failure to produce the expected boons in civil engineering and medical technology they have expected.

Outside the Alliance, there is no known capacity to produce ClanTech and precious little to maintain it. While examples dating from as early as 3049 may now be circulating among even the meanest of deep-periphery scavengers and traders, the vast majority of the ClanTech to be found in the Concordat or the Magistracy was brought there by either the Diamond Sharks in the last few decades or the Word of Blake, in the form of battlefield salvage or spoils.

However, in the Coreward Deep Periphery; things are somewhat different. Here the Flotsam of the Clan wars has settled thinly, but noticeably wherever Clan Merchants have made contact with the tiny, scattered settlements of the region. In these places where the ancient still pre-dominates; a Pulse Laser made in 3055 is more likely to be a ClanTech weapon than one with more in common with Star League LosTech. The capacity and understanding of how to maintain such wonders remains low, but it exists nonetheless. In these places a little ClanTech has the same effect as did the Clans when they first came upon the old Pirate Kingdoms in 3049; that of an egg dashed on a millstone.

Most Clan advances amount to breakthroughs and refinements in the materials sciences. As such; the eventual equivalence of Clan-Made and Inner-Sphere-produced technology is, in some ways inevitable given time and continued effort and baring any intercession. However, it must be noted that the Clan Scientist Caste has its limitations; these limitations not being common to our own people. It will be noted that the Clans have only very rarely applied their advances to civil engineering projects; further that they have back-slid in many ways from the heights of some yet-lost Star League and Hegemony advances.

Even in military technology; the Clans failed to successfully reproduce Land-Air-Mech Technology or to innovate their own Super-Heavy Mechs. Advances the Word of Blake Managed simultaneous to their own, more-general reverse-engineering programs. As well; Spheroid Powers have managed to produce various weapons and equipment which the Clans have had to race to duplicate, even clumsily; when they can do so at all.

So, one has to ask; is ClanTech really all it’s cracked up to be?

It certainly seems not at this point in time. In fact, it seems more like ClanTech is more of a niche or stepping-stone on mankind’s technological path; one which we have nearly mastered, even while we have surpassed it and moved on in many ways.

Still, it remains unclear just how in a tiny, divisive population; operating on starkly-limited resources and amidst ongoing conflict; the Clan Scientist Caste could have ever managed what they have up till now. That question begs the next: most Clan advances occurred up to a century and more ago, at this point; now that we seem to have seen the end of the brief hiccup that was the so-called “Clan Renaissance” of the mid-late 50s through to the 60s, we have to ask why the Clans ever stopped advancing technologically and perhaps: what stopped them? If there are any hidden monsters remaining just beyond the roughed-out borders of Mankind’s pursuit of scientific advancement, perhaps the Clans ran headlong into them almost two centuries ago and the last spurts of creativity we saw in the mid-70s were just filling in the last corners of the technological tapestry.

What can’t be argued are the holes in the Clan’s own version of this tapestry; filled in, if at all, un-evenly across the Clans as a whole. Even looking at advances of 300 years ago and more; there are many areas in which the Clans seem never to have focused their efforts, to say nothing of the backsliding which has occurred. Some Clans, notably the Jade Falcons, for instance; are quite happy for any of their people to exist at a level of subsistence which would be familiar to many Periphery worlds of the Succession Wars. In some cases; this even extends to non-frontline military forces, which are sometimes equipped with barely-functional SLDF-relics or equipment of a standard comparable to the improvised weapons of guerilla movements.

This is part of the answer to the mystery of ClanTech; it is focused and not generalized. Sometimes remarkably so. For instance; the Clans possess post-Star League medical cloning technology, which is reserved for their warriors. But in many cases, even their basic medicine is lacking; with life expectancies at all levels far below Inner Sphere averages across all Castes.

In theory; there is nothing stopping many Clan advances from being applied to other fields; such as civil engineering, general manufacturing and the luxury goods market. But in practice; the Clans have rarely done it. There are exceptions in all Clans, but the rule is that the best efforts and resources go to the Warrior Trueborns and the rest make do.

However, evidence now suggests that other powers; notably the self-styled “3rd League”, with their several Clan member-states and The Republic have done just that and begun applying ClanTech more broadly across their society in all fields, at least in a limited scale. Indeed, the 3rd League may even have developed their affinity for ClanTech on an industrial and societal scale by building it up through civil advancements first, as counter-intuitive as that seems for an army with a nation attached to it.

Advanced Technology is that which mimics or surpasses Star League-Era technology. It first began to become available through developments at the New Avalon Institute of Science in the 20s and accelerated with the proliferation of similar establishments in all the Successor States and the discovery of the Helm Memory Core. In general, these are advances which were mastered in the 3040s and improved upon in the 50s to the present day, but which still fall well-below the levels of ClanTech in refinement, even when they surpass them in raw capability.

In terms of a standard of living; Advanced technology is available on all major and most minor industrialized worlds of the Inner Sphere and Periphery and some of the less well-developed worlds as well. To find places today which cannot muster a pulse laser or a reliable Myomer Implantation Device, you need to visit regions like the Federated Suns Outback or the more hard-done-by Kuritan or Capellan Worlds. Sadly, lack of general access to this level of technology for civilians remains a way of life on most periphery worlds and as many as a third of all worlds in the Inner Sphere. For the denizens of the Deep Periphery; Advanced Tech remains Lost; a distant dream or a costly and fleeting luxury from very far away.

LosTech seems to be a lingering symptom of a disease that mankind cannot seem to shake off fully. Even where answers can be found in the files of the Helm and New Dallas memory cores or other, less-well-known, but similar discoveries; economic and industrial realities keep many of these discoveries out of the hands of those who need them.

This term, specifically has come to refer to breakthroughs and achievements of even the Pre-Star League-era which cannot be replicated today. Normally this is due to lacking infrastructure in one form or another, but just as common; it is an issue of lacking refinement or experience.

It is not a simple matter of a data-file containing a matrix of equations and schematics; one needs people who can understand the files and other people who can bring what lies within to life. Even today, in The Republic, these things are lacking. Even in matters of major medical breakthroughs. One especially-painful case in point being the ongoing and public deterioration of the once-great David Lear to a random and degenerative neurological disease; Alzheimer’s. The cure is known (It’s a simple childhood vaccine), as is the treatment (an infinitely more difficult to synthesize daily medicine); but we are missing the infrastructure to produce the required machinery to produce the machinery to produce the machinery that makes the drugs; nor do we have the chemicals to make the drugs from. We have all the diagrams and academic trivia we need to alleviate this man’s suffering. But all the resources of The Republic are decades away from the building-block advances needed to save the man who we have come to love nearly as much as his great husband; The Exarch.

A more visible example of the ongoing LosTech phenomena is MegaEngineering. We still cannot terraform or control the weather like they could in the Star League. We couldn’t build a new Venusian Sunshield if we wanted to. We lack the ability to replicate the hidden fortresses and re-shape worlds as the Hegemony once did. In these cases, we even have extant examples of the cadavers of past achievements to examine. But the money, the will, the expertise and familiarity; even the confidence to do such things no longer exists. Maybe it never will again.

The only enclave of humanity known to possess a high degree of LosTech and still be capable of reproducing it confidently and in an ongoing manner are the Belters. In addition to their own advances; the Belters possess access to many of the Star League’s life-extending and enhancing medical advances. However; deeply distrustful of outsiders, the Belters have always been exceptionally insular and unwilling to share their secrets; any of their secrets. In exchange for undisclosed concessions and limited access; The Republic agreed to grant the Belters official internal autonomy in 3087 following a brief and utterly unprofitable conflict. Sadly; the deal included only very limited access to medical technology in the form of certain important medicines produced in zero-G and rapid flu vaccine development technology. But which did not include either the Alzheimer’s vaccine or the brickwall treatment; both of which could be had in any Star League Pharmacy, as of 2712.

« Last Edit: 21 February 2019, 16:10:36 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #307 on: 21 February 2019, 16:14:05 »
This section is intended to serve as an overview of which technologies have changed in status in the Der Tag AU. This is not meant as a canonical list of those technologies which are new or already covered elsewhere; but specifically, to serve as a lint trap for what remains of the canon tech, but which has not been discussed.
Due to the nature of the Dark Age setting, some technologies which one might expect to have changed status in a post-Jihad/pre-Dark Age AU have been detailed as well for the sake of thoroughness and my own natural pedantry.
These technologies are treated in the order in which they appear for the most part; beginning with Total Warfare and continuing through the more advanced rulebooks of the Tech Manual, Tactical Operations, Strategic Operations and Interstellar Operations (which is the most recent rulebook I know of to contain new equipment; Campaign Ops seems to have none).
If a technology is not mentioned here, then it should be assumed that its status has not changed. One caveat to this is that anyone interested in force generation or campaigns in the Der Tag AU should refer to the Production Report and the implications thereof. What I mean is that a great deal of equipment is developed much sooner in the Der Tag AU than in the canon timeline; specifically, the RISC equipment.
Generally; what we’re looking for here is equipment which has changed status from “Experimental” to “production”. That doesn’t always mean that something now gets a “P-” appended to the name, but what it does mean is whether or not it’s the kind of thing that would only show up in an XTRO as a top-secret prototype they only make a handful of, or something you could buy from a catalogue.
Overall; the 3rd League is a highly advanced faction. Unless mentioned specifically; consider them to be lumped in with the Inner Sphere. The same is true, naturally of The Republic.
The Hull Inhumane Weapons Treaty was signed in 3099 and comes into force in 3100, by which time all the signatories are expected to be in compliance (IE/not using anything which has been banned). This is only the latest in a long string of weapons-treaties written by The Republic and foisted on their allies. Prepare to hear these mentioned a lot. As for what just might be implied by this kind of “Civilizing” of warfare: that is a separate essay.
Without further ado:

Combat Vehicles---Any faction you would consider as such in the Der Tag AU should be able to maintain and produce some form of combat vehicle. That doesn’t mean that every deep-periphery one-world fiefdom is cranking out their own RetroTech ICE-powered deathtrap. But they could be. They would certainly be able to maintain such as thing at the most basic level.
Below this you would have people who have devolved to truly post-apocalyptic levels of technology; people who can’t supply any form of fuel; cannot supply ammo or patch tech-level-A BAR-1 armour.

Support Vehicles---Similar to Combat Vehicles; any faction worthy of the name should be able to produce and repair at least some forms of Support Vehicles. Obviously more complex types and refinements will be beyond some, however.   
Most factions have not, however applied the highest levels to technology to support vehicles. Where this has been done it is ad hoc in nature. The 3rd League is a notable exception to this. But where you find high technology, you can take it as read that they probably could apply this to other purposes; such as support vehicles, but chose not to or find it uneconomical to do so.

Infantry---Every force in Der Tag; be they the RAF or a truly degenerate, single-settlement stone-age rabble can manage to field infantry. They might have sharp sticks and jagged rocks or they might have Mauser IICs, but anyone can manage to put a collection of people into the field and make them fight.

BattleMechs---All the major factions and some of the smaller ones can produce ‘Mechs in Der Tag. Those factions that cannot would be more primitive independent worlds and deep periphery nations. All but a few can manage to maintain at least RetroTech examples.
The trick is that The Republic places strict controls on the production of BattleMechs. This is done through treaty and through RAF direct-action when possible. In the few regions where the influence of The Republic is not felt or openly balked, these restrictions may still be felt in the form of sharply reduced imports from other realms.

Industrial Mechs---Industrial Mech production is slightly more widespread than that of BattleMechs in that there are a few more minor powers which can produce Industrial Mechs, but not even RetroTech BattleMechs. Within the larger factions, however; there are many more worlds which can produce Industrial Mechs than BattleMechs, at current.
As The Republic is officially in favour of Industrial Mech production; these industries have rebuilt faster and with the benefit of Republic subsidies. Many major BattleMech makers have increased their formerly niche or side-businesses in Industrial Mech production in order to keep lines open and slow skill loss as much as possible.
Within Republic-Controlled Space, modifying Industrial Mechs into Technical-BattleMechs or, simply; “Mods”. Is a very serious offence. Where The Republic has allies; the ComStar Arms Inspectors are equally eagre to litigate and sanction.

OmniTech---I’ve heavily detailed OmniTech in Der Tag before, but I wanted to make clear that this is not a dead technology; it has a number of logistical and economical drawbacks, but OmniMechs are still very much a big part of the universe; they just aren’t as popular in some circles as they have been.
Naturally the Clans have the best grip on OmniTech, but there is not yet any Clan which can afford to once more give this technology the true pride of place in their Toumans that it deserves. Give it a few years and that might change, however. No-one in the Inner Sphere who has produced Omnis in the past has forgotten how, if they are still in business today. If you look in the Production Report; you will find many examples. GM’s OmniMarauder is the MadCat of the Der Tag universe away from the SLDFiE. Speaking of the 3rd League; they understand OmniTech very well, but tend not to use it, except in specialized roles. The SLDFiE makes the most use of the technology in “Semi-Modular” designs. Even most of their “OmniMechs” have been converted to semi-modular BattleMechs for logistical and maintenance reasons.
A fair amount of OmniTech has proliferated through a couple of OmniSupport Vehicles, but the technology might as well stop dead outside the Inner Sphere and Clans, which with the still-active Battle Armour programs in the Concordat and Magistracy is too bad. Something like a Periphery Omni, however is decades down the road at this stage.
What is true of OmniMechs is generally true of OmniVehicles and Fighters.

ProtoMechs---ProtoMech technology is closely held by many Clans, but The Republic’s Treaties have stopped it dead elsewhere. However, unbeknownst to The Republic, but beknownst to us; the SLDFiE makes use of a modified form of ProtoMech technology in their Fortified Area Troops.
While the forms of 3rd League ProtoMechs remain similar to those of the Clans, the pilots come from the ranks of those with the few remaining forms of irreparable spinal damage and mobility disorders found in the 3rd League. These individuals---in keeping with the theories put forth by StarCorps R&D decades ago---trade the long lifespans accorded by 3rd League medical technology for limited access to a form of personal agency they can only dream of otherwise.
The normal population of the 3rd League, together with the occasional Aerospace Phenotype washout from the League’s Clan Member-States, alongside severely wounded SLDFiE Veterans manage to provide an adequate supply of Pilot-Volunteers to match the modest supply of ex-Clan ProtoMechs and locally-produced WSP-1P models. This despite the well-known and exceptionally deleterious effects of the EI and Neural Interface systems and implants upon these pilots.
Some of these disabled pilots chose to be kept in stasis between training missions and exercises. However, this has a severely negative effect on the necessary bond of the pilot and their caretakers, which are themselves often mentally disabled persons.

BattleArmour--- No real change in status here, but I felt it was important to reinforce that this is now seen as vital technology and is well understood throughout the militaries and industries most of human-occupied space. The exception to this would be the smallest minor powers and Deep Periphery states, which simply cannot manage.

AeroSpace Fighters--- As one of the oldest of the extant frontline military technologies; it should come as no surprise that the ability to produce and maintain ASF is well understood among all the industrialized powers.
The Meta of the universe is an odd beast though and I cannot/would not throw it off fully. As a result; most of the smaller, least-capable factions, if able to produce fusion engines would still choose to build and field BattleMechs in place of AeroSpace Fighters. This is fairly well-represented in the Production Report spreadsheet and I think the exceptions are well-founded.
AeroFighters or a lack thereof are likely to be a shortfall felt operationally and strategically, rather than being measured in the tactical consideration of most militaries in the BTU. The difference is that in Der Tag; this is the kind of thing that would show up on-camera, so to speak and be felt in the fluff. So; a given faction axing ASF production/budgets or choosing to build Mechs instead could easily get their heads handed to them.

A-Pods/B-Pods---Here’s a fun one. Under of The Republic’s Treaties; all weapons deemed “inhumane” or having a tendency to have their effects felt “disproportionately” by civilians are banned. You’ll see a lot more of this as we go along, but one effect of the treaty is that as of 31 December, 3099; many of the major powers under the influence of The Republic are beginning to remove A-Pods and B-Pods from their combat units. Production has been widely curtailed and the supply lines have already been basically cut.
So, in a prestigious outfit like the Davion Brigades of Guards; all the ‘Pods are already gone. In something like the Legions of Vega; they might not have gotten around to it yet or be part-way through the process. Most have deactivated the systems or removed the explosive components; but the mounts and sensors are still there. But say you pilot a Sirocco? Yeah; best-case chances are that you have the spares that are still sitting in your unit ammo dump and marked “Condemned” and that’s it. Let’s hope no-one suddenly needs those eh?
Factory production is severely limited, tightly observed and for export only. Not every Great House has ratified the whole of the relevant treaty, but the FS, LC, DC and most of the Former FWL all agreed to ditch their A-Pods and B-Pods, soonest.

Stealth Armour---By this point and following the Jihad; Stealth Armour for all but Aircraft is quite well understood by all of the Spheroid powers and the Periphery. This includes the SLDFiE as well.

LBX---Cluster munitions are now heavily restricted in how they may be deployed. Under the 3099 Hull Anti-Inhumane Weapons Treaty, you cannot even take LBX-Cluster ammunition into an area where civilians work or live. Anywhere you do use it has to be swept and cleaned up according to a schedule established by the ComStar Arms Control Bureau

Flechette and Incendiary Ammo---Any power which signed the bare minimums of the Hull treaty (FS, DC, MC, LC, Some former FWL, Republic) isn’t even supposed to have this stuff anymore. As a practical matter; the production lines are stopped; the tooling and equipment is being removed and whatever stocks are on hand are to be expended in training or destroyed in the next five years.

Rotary AutoCannons---Now fully proliferated across the Inner Sphere. Even manufacturers not currently building models of fighting machine equipped with these weapons can readily source them, if not build them in-house.

Clan Rotary ACs---Generally pretty minimally understood, except by the Jade Falcons. The Jade Falcons have had the new Product-Improved versions in production now for several years and the prototypes being phased out. It’s not something I’ve detailed yet in Bench Rest, but the old Clan Rotary ACs would now be CRAC-P for “Prototype”; the new ones weigh the same, but take up less space and have much better ranges.

C3---Basic C3 Technology is something that all the Major Powers that want to can understand pretty well and maintain effectively. The local Periphery powers; especially the Calderon Protectorate would have trouble producing it, but it’s a capability that everyone who uses it is quite comfortable with.
As part of their modernization efforts; the DCMS is continuing to refit their forces for C3 at all levels and expand the basic capabilities. Some interesting Bench Rest gear is laid out for C3. The Republic can take C3 or leave it. They have a number of C3 lances and companies; but the ECM-saturated battlefields of the Jihad really soured a lot of people on it.
Those that don’t use C3 tend to have organizational reasons for not doing so. The Clans, for the most part have their Honour Codes and the SLDFiE is continuing to operate on the premise that the system can be suborned for SIGINT purposes or, just possibly taking control of units so equipped. WOB never did it during the Jihad as far as is known, but ROM was really sure, right up until summer of 3067 that they could. Enough so that they were advising the ComGuards to seriously upgrade or scrap their C3i systems as well.

C3i---This is essentially a dead letter. There are a few still using it; mainly militias with captured or salvaged WOBM/ComGuard gear and mercenaries. But with the parent organizations of the system gone; there just isn’t the incentive to keep up a network for an organizational model that so few people use anymore. What few designs are still being built with C3i are likely to be modified or discontinued in the next 5-10 years and no new C3i computers have been built since 3094. Anyone who still needs parts or complete computer interfaces is just drawing on that stockpile.

Naval C3---The Draconis Combine have embraced the Naval C3 system like no other power. For all others, save the RAF (who use it sparingly), the system remains experimental.

Battle Armour C3---Only the DCMS makes concerted use of Battle Armour C3 systems; they remain effectively experimental for all other powers. They may be fielded, but they are never found in use en masse, as in the Draconis Combine.

Capital and sub-cap weapons---All very limited/tightly controlled. The Republic knows what these are for so anyone still making them anywhere they hold sway, does so with very close oversight. Any ostensible Republic allies caught even trying to setup a parallel production system for these would be in a legal state of war with The Republic and their other allies. And the RAF could count on the backup too.

Concealed weapon---Banned under the SALT treaties. Anything that would make a fighting machine look harmless is a no-no.

Fusion Engines---Very tightly controlled. This is the primary means by which The Republic keeps a tight grip on production, proliferation and fielding of frontline military equipment and it is effective too. With the vast infrastructural damage inflicted by the Jihad; it’s easy for The Republic to keep their allies from rebuilding old capabilities and supply them key materials and components from their own, very secure and restored holdings.
This was a key aspect of the Dark Age, but the nuts and bolts of it were never explained that I saw (although I haven’t yet read the novels either). But it was a key feature of the post-Jihad setting where it was described as a feature of the landscape of longstanding, so it needed to be addressed.
Like anything else The Republic does, however; this holds no sway beyond the reach of their own military, economical and memetic influence. So Capellans rejoice! You get all the Fusion Engines you can eat!

Flamers---Banned for military use. No. Seriously. As of 3099; you are supposed to be refitting your Firestarters if you are a friend of The Republic or scrapping them. But something like this? The parts, spares and stockpiles of complete systems will be around for a long time, because they have been produced for hundreds of years. Also; I figure there are many shared components between flamers and jump jets; so, there is that.

AP-Gauss---The Anti-personnel Gauss gun was one of the weapons banned under the Hull Treaty; it is considered too dangerous in terms of collateral damage to be permitted. All the Clans know their way around them by now though and they remain popular.
Hey; you’re lucky you kept your machineguns.

HAG---All the Clans now possess at least detailed theoretical knowledge of the Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle, even if they aren’t producing them right this second.

EndoSteel---Because military-grade EndoSteel has limited civilian applications and those can generally be fulfilled with Endo-Composites just as easily, production of EndoSteel as we know it is tightly monitored as another potential chokepoint and brake on production of the most advanced war machines.

Improved JJ---Everyone who wants to build, use and fix Improved Jump Jets can; these things are way out of the experimental stage now.

Heavy Lasers---Being phased out among the Clans for the improved model.

MMLs---Universal to IS and Periphery.

MRMs---Universal to IS and Periphery. When and if they want to built them, anyways. But figure that anyone fielding units with MRMs can easily keep them supplied as well.

Rocket Launchers---Universal to IS and Periphery; various primitive models may still be found, but generally; they can do at least this well.

OS and I-OS Launchers---Basically extinct. Because these are terrible and RLs are a better alternative.

Streak SRMs---The entire Inner Sphere has gained sufficient understanding to make Streak SRMs in all sizes. This technology is still tenuous in the Near Periphery, but they can manage it. Naturally; the Clans have no issues here, but most other factions cannot swing it.

Various Missile Munitions; Thunder, Swarm, Inferno, AX, Etc.---have all been banned. Figure basically that if it has a special effect that would create a hideous wound, then under the Hull Treaty; The Republic and their Allies are no-longer supposed to utilize these in war. Not that things like AX-SRMs were ever a staple of the setting, but consider that if your favourite Lyran unit were to find themselves in a bad position on New Years Day, 3100; then it would be best to hope it didn’t require things like LRM-deployed minefields and frag-SRMs to get out of it.
As-stated; it isn’t that there wouldn’t be a few pallets or even bunkers-full of these munitions readily at hand, but there are no more readily available after you managed to get those released from condemned status. And if your outfit happened to have a certain politically-sensitive officer eagre to be promoted? Those last few tons of Swarm-LRMs, with their naughty-double-plus-ungood submunitions were disposed of; blown-up, last week.

Artemis-IV and NARC-Enabled Missiles---But how about some good news? These do not exist in Der Tag! How is that a good thing?
Because in the Der Tag AU; Artemis and NARC are Boot-strap systems that make what you have now better; you don’t need special ammo to use them because they work with the ammo you have now!
Artemis systems are add-on supplemental targeting packages that provide additional fidelity to your missile telemetry in order to put more shots on target. NARC systems are end-point beacons which attach to the target like an armoured limpet mine, burrow in like a tick and broadcast a missile-homing beacon designed to work with the radar and heat-seeking modules already built into your missiles.
And they stack.

iNARC---iNARC is a weapons system which has failed to find a niche outside a few limited adherents since it’s development. Not that normal NARC-systems have proven super-popular either. But the iNARC is heavier and so is its ammo; making it less of a cool accessory and more of a big lump of situationally-useful weight that doesn’t directly kill mechs, itself.
The ComGuards and naturally; WOBM, had a number of designs making use of this system. Now that they are gone, it is mainly the inheritors of their salvage, personnel, stockpiles and infrastructure which continue to use it. This limits normal proliferation of iNARC systems to the RAF, SLDFiE and some former Free Worlds factions. Occasional mercenaries and salvage-riders may still use iNARC as well, but they are depending on these three sources for their supplies.

PPCs---The biggest change in PPCs is that the Free World’s League finally got their act together; they can manage PPC production and service just fine, thankyouverymuch. Too bad there isn’t a Free Worlds League, as such, any longer.
But, hey; I am sure that it was a great party they had at the time. Probably invited the entire DCMS procurement system to make it a double and celebrate getting that whole double heat sink problem licked for good at the same time. Sake and Ouzo abounds.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #308 on: 21 February 2019, 16:14:45 »
Plasma weapons—These are quite well understood, within their lanes. The Inner Sphere is now very comfortable with the technology, production and maintenance of the Mech and BA-Scale Plasma Rifles, with the Near Periphery only slightly behind (Less so the Calderon Protectorate). The Clans have eagerly internalized the Plasma Cannon alongside their other heat-producing weapons.
The Ghost Bears, Hell’s Horses, Jade Falcons, Diamond Sharks, Blood Spirits, both Wolf Clans and the Snow Ravens have all obtained samples of Plasma Rifles to contrast and compare and could built their own prototypes and direct-copies. Whether or not this is a weapon the Spheroid Clans will make their own and internalize or upgrade remains to be seen, however. But for now, any of these could easily support and maintain captured examples or produce copies for their own use.
Given The Republic’s overall stance on incendiary weapons, but fondness for weapon systems that can disable enemy ‘Mechs, it remains to be seen what the legal fate of Plasma weapons will be. There remain widely separated camps on the matter, but it is expected to be settled when the Hull Treaty is scheduled to be revisited in 3105.

Targeting Computer---"Targeting Computer” technology (the very name being an even more vast over-simplification than that assigned to the “C3 Computer”) may only be a near-pinnacle of fire control technology, plateaued now as it has been by various spin-off systems. But this still represents a highly-advanced, difficult to maintain, repair and produce item of military technology. The Inner Sphere still produce their own versions; now to be found across all the realms, but they are nowhere close to matching the Clan-version.
However, it must be said that neither are the Clans any closer to further-refining this system and it looks as though further advances in gunnery will depend on integrating and refining other systems beyond the monolithic “Targeting Computer”
From the God’s-Eye-View, the 3rd League can source both kinds of Targeting Computer easily, but still depend on the Diamond Sharks for supplies of the Clan Model.

TSM---The Clan understanding of Triple-Strength Myomer remains starkly limited. But it is something that both the Inner Sphere and Near-Periphery can manage handily, although some of the former FWL dominions are less comfortable with it.

BA weapons/equipment---The divisions between Clan and Inner Sphere Battle Armour weapons and equipment have more or less been maintained, outside the RAF and SLDFiE where considerable inter-mixing is observed. The Fusillade system is one that the True Clans, Goliath Scorpions, Jade Falcons and Hell’s Horses are all very comfortable and familiar with. The others almost certainly have examples recovered from Trials of Possession, salvage and even espionage, but it isn’t something they are using widely or producing, yet.

Bloodhound AP---By this time, this is a highly-regarded and well-understood item in both the Inner Sphere and among the Clans. However, it remains beyond the reach of the Periphery Powers.

Watchdog CEWS---While still a niche system, the Watchdog has proliferated amongst all the Clans.

AES---The Inner Sphere, at large and the Continuation Clans are all highly conversant with Actuator Enhancement Systems tech. It’s not well-understood beyond the Great Houses and the Occupation Zones, even among the New Clans, but this is something that a DCMS or RAF Senior Tech wouldn’t even blink at.

Angel ECM---Within the Inner Sphere; among the Great Houses and The Republic; Angel ECM systems are now a widespread and well-regarded, if expensive, delicate and finicky piece of technology. These remain well beyond the means of even the Magistracy and the Concordat to produce and maintain, however and they rely on foreign-contracted service personnel to maintain the few they possess.
Among the Clans, there is a sharp divide on Angel ECM, with many feeling that it is simply *so good* as to be dishonourable, inherently. Indeed; among the True Clans, the subject of ECM is hotly debated within the echoing Grand Council Chambers. Certainly, the technology is well-known, but of the Clans, only a few make regular use of it; these being the Raven Alliance, the Ghost Bears, Hell’s Horses, Clan Wolf-in-Exile, The Escorpion Imperio, the Blood Spirits and the Diamond Sharks

Ferro-Lamellor---This is now a well-understood, if spottily-employed item among both the Spheroid and Periphery Clans.

Artemis-V---While still rarely employed, this is a system well understood among all The Clans.

Cruise Missiles---All the Inner Sphere Powers and some of The Spheroid Clans understand and field Cruise Missile Artillery, although most of the Clans employ it in only a limited fashion. The Ghost Bears, Hell`s Horses and Clan Wolf-in-Exile; all field Cruise Missile Artillery.
Since the end of the Jihad, there has been some proliferation of fixed Cruise Missile Launchers as vehicles for deploying small Satellites, as for some purposes and scales; this is more economical than using a dropship, AeroSpace Fighter or Small Craft.

Artillery Cannon---The Artillery Cannon is a weapon system that is unevenly used and distributed, but one that is easy to build and maintain; much easier than real artillery. Powers which cannot manage to build true artillery pieces still have the technical capacity to produce Artillery Cannons, if they can get their hands on the technical data. Even the Clans can build them and make limited use of them. But therein lies the issue. While widespread; no-one makes heavy use of Artillery Cannons. Rather they are specialist or niche weapons employed here and there.
However, the nature of Artillery Cannons means they are here to stay and powers which have access to the specifications and knowledge of their use will not soon forget it.

HVAC---Obsolescent. The secret of High-Velocity AutoCannons is well and truly “out” so far as the Inner Sphere is concerned. However, with the end of the Jihad, further development of these weapons has stalled in most places. Any of the Great Houses could easily build them, but they will remain consigned to custom variants, prototypes, Solaris brawlers and technology demonstrators until they get that whole “Exploding Issue” fixed.

PM-AC---All of The Clans can now field and maintain ProtoMech AutoCannon. They remain niche weapons; but they are there when wanted.

HarJel---After the Abjurement of the Diamond Sharks, the other Clans began to invest in diversified sources of HarJel and HarJel substitutes, in earnest. While the synthetic replacements are not yet adequate; many have made great inroads in cultivating their own sources of the wonderous by-product.
The Diamond Sharks remain the main supplier of HarJel to the Spheroid Clans and the Escorpion Imperio. While all of the extant Clans now have some capacity to create and refine their own HarJel, the ‘Sharks are still the main supplier for all of the New Clans, save the Raven Alliance and for the Continuation Clans.
However, within the Inner Sphere; the Lyran Commonwealth and The Republic have both established their own sources of HarJel and have a great deal of familiarity with it. The Lyrans had reverse-engineered the BattleMech HarJel system by 3067 and have now almost finished refitting it to their surviving warship fleet. The Republic has yet to settle on where to centre their own HarJel efforts, but has diversified instead; incorporating it into some Battle Armour, some space-faring vessels and continuing research and development into the applications of HarJel as a passive-defence measure in ‘Mechs.
Thanks to exports and continuing research, several powers have now produced limited runs of units featuring HarJel sealing and even self-repair systems.

Mech Melee Weapons---The Clans all understand ‘Mech-Scale melee weapons perfectly well at this stage, but by and large; they aren’t willing to make use of them. Exceptions are just that; exceptional and frequently ad hoc. This is a technology the Inner Sphere is, naturally; well familiar with. Out in the wilder Periphery understanding varies; with some pirate bands able to produce custom hatchets and lances and some manufacturers which would have difficulty producing such equipment in serial.

Partial Wings---This is an easily reproduced and understood technology among the Clans and Inner Sphere. The Major Periphery Nations can easily manage prototypes.

UMU---These remain a highly niche piece of technology, but here and there are powers which know it well and are familiar with its upkeep and production. Among these are the Escopion Imperio, Diamond Sharks, Federated Suns, Lyran Commonwealth and Draconis Combine.
*as a side-note getting away from proprietary technologies in the last ten years of the game has made stuff like this hard to keep track of. I’m just about certain that there are a few other factions producing UMU-mobile units in-game, even in Der Tag, but I’ll be dipped if I could be sure I have encapsulated them all here.

Chaff Pods--- Frankly, I am baffled this was ever considered LosTech. But here it is. Anyone can make these in Der Tag; even backwater Periphery pirates can chop up metal foil and wrap it around a small explosive charge.

Chameleon Light Polarization Shield---Only The 3rd League currently possesses detailed knowledge and understanding of CLPS systems.

Drones---Generally detailed understanding of Drones and Drone-systems is limited to the Great Houses, the Magistracy and the Taurians at the basic level. Essentially; they can build, use and maintain things like the Hi-Scout Drones and their Carrier/Controller easily. Most everything more advanced than this has been long-lost to the Clans and humanity at large.
The Republic, however knows advanced Drone systems backwards and forwards, thanks to the legacy of the Word of Blake.
The SLDFiE has an understanding which is as advanced, but also different by and large. Mainly they seem to have mastered the old Star League’s Reagan/SDS network systems, but then gone in a different direction from the Word of Blake. What they do have, they tend to use very differently than either the Word or The Republic.

Remote Drone Command Console---Republic.

SRCS, SASRCS, SDS-DCS, CASPAR II ASRCS, ATAC, DTAC, ARTS---That whole mass of alphabet soup are examples of Drone technology The Republic has a good grip on. Frankly; the SLDFiE might possess some of it when I get to their ships in detail; but for right now, just figure that if it is Drones, then The Republic can do it.

Large Engines---Virtually Extinct. There is just so little practical application of these things that they have never made it out of prototype and bench-rest status. Even in the XL and XXL-models. The Major Powers could all still make them, if they wanted to. But as a practical matter, why would you? So by and large they don’t.

Lite Engines---This horse has long since bolted. In addition to the Inner Sphere, the Magistracy, Concordat and Raven Alliance can all handily produce Lite Engines now.

XL---The Inner Sphere, Clans and Near Periphery are having no technical issues producing XL Engines. For the Inner Sphere, it’s a problem with the special limitations levied by The Republic on XL Engine production; there is an additional cost, payable to various NGOs, Charities and rebuilding projects laid against each XL Engine produced in the Federated Suns, Draconis Combine and Lyran Commonwealth, as well as on some Republic-owned firms selling them as export orders or part of export orders. In practice; such sanctions have been difficult to apply in the fractious Andurian Pact holdings and impossible in the Capellan Confederation.
In the Near Periphery, it’s an issue of cost. Times are still lean everywhere in the Near Periphery and cheaper is usually better. As a result, procurement plans have cut the numbers of more advanced designs being produced in favour of the more easily maintained and cheaply acquired.
For the Clans; the bottleneck is raw resources and logistics. Freed of most trade politics and lacking most of an economic system as you would know it; the problem the Clans have is mining or buying enough of the raw materials, and getting them refined, shipped and turned into Fusion Engines. With lower caste populations devastated and disrupted by recent conflicts and trade fleets damaged, this is harder than ever.
A note on XL-Engines in the Der Tag AU: The principle difference between Fusion Engine types is in the shielding itself. No working parts of the reactor need to be replaced to turn one type of fusion engine into a Lite or XL. It’s actually a bigger deal to re-route certain systems to accommodate different heat sink systems. Once you get to an XXL; it’s a much bigger job because some systems have do have to be re-routed around the even-more thickened shielding, but it is still doable.
The hitch is having the skills, manhours, resources and above-all: *The Shielded Area* to do the work. But really any decent repair facility should have a hardened clean room for major reactor maintenance anyways.

XXL---The Clans and Inner Sphere can both produce XXL engines. The Inner Sphere faces serious budgetary issues with XXLs, however. Interestingly, these are not “Taxed” as are XL engines. Possibly due to an oversight, possibly because they are seen as niche items at this juncture.
On the Clan side, these engines have actually become *more* popular than they were previously, with several production-models being going concerns for many years now. The reason is that the resources sink to produce an XXL engine is not nearly twice that of an XL; as the cost would is for an Inner Sphere military-industrial complex. Nor is the time to produce an XXL much increased or the skills and techniques implicit in the manufacture. The shielding is simply made differently; to a different design and standard than XLs.

Full Head Ejection System---This system has now been mastered by both the Clans and all Nations within the Inner Sphere.

EW Equipment---Any of the more advanced and industrialized enclaves of the Deep Periphery have the capacity to produce primitive EW equipment. A normal ECM system might be beyond them, but this most of them should be able to swing by this stage if they have a semi-decent electronics industry.

ER Flamer---While it is banned, along with normal Flamers in the Inner Sphere; the technology of the ER Flamer proved easy to internalize for all of the Great Houses. Among the Clans, this weapon has been well-accepted.

Heavy Flamer---Naturally; the Heavy Flamer shared the same fate as it’s smaller brethren, but due to its nature; the Heavy Flamer proved even easier to copy and reproduce. These are less popular among the Clans, but still well-known.

Heavy Gauss Rifle---The Heavy Gauss Rifle is a highly specialized weapon; capable, but also handicapped. It’s been around long enough that many factions are handily familiar with it and thus it can be made and maintained easily in any Inner Sphere Realm.

Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle---Within the Der Tag AU; the Heavy Gauss Rifle is handled a little differently. As such the modifications to create the Improved HGR are somewhat of an evolutionary dead end; it’s hardly revolutionary and therefor not difficult to copy and reproduce, if you really want it. As a result, alongside the original; the iHGR is well proliferated across the Inner Sphere.

Light Gauss Rifle---Light Gauss Rifles are still highly-regarded as sniping weapons throughout the Inner Sphere. By 3099, this weapon can be found in all the Great Houses and The Republic as well as the Former Free Worlds League.

MagShot---The MagShot started out as a highly specialized weapon and it still is, but that specialty has changed from an Arena weapon from the dueling pits of Solaris 7 to a much-valued backup weapon on real battlefields. In the Der Tag AU; MagShots are in heavy demand to replace machineguns on many warrior’s rides. As such; the MagShot is produced all across the Inner Sphere and can even be found stamped “Made with Pride…” in the Taurian Concordat, The Magistracy of Canopus and even the Calderon protectorate and Marian Hegemony.

Silver Bullet---The Silver Bullet-variant of the common Gauss Rifle is a highly specialized weapon, but not a difficult one to realize. As such, any non-Clan power which can make a Gauss Rifle can easily make the Silver Bullet.

Blazer Cannon---The Blazer Cannon has become a popular weapon in the Der Tag AU, not least because it is easy to produce and maintain. As a result, they can now be produced anywhere in the Inner Sphere and the Near-Periphery states.

Bombast Laser---These have fallen rapidly out of favour after being a popular fad for a number of years. As a result, 3099 will be the final year of production for all remaining designs utilizing the Bombast Laser. A spare parts run may go on for a number of years, but consider them obsolete as of 3100.

Chemical Lasers---Limited deployment. In the Der Tag AU, the Clans have different and alternative weapons and so, while Chemical Lasers show up here and there, they are not as popular as in Canon. You can figure that by 3099, all the Clans can build them, however.

Production ER-Pulse Laser---In the Der Tag AU, the Clans continue to refine their laser technology. One outcome of this is that the ER-Pulse Laser as we know it, is now considered the prototype version, as of 3093 when the Ghost Bears develop the first Production-Model ER-Pulse Lasers (Followed by the Star Adder version in 3096). The only difference is that the production model is more refined and retains the -2 to hit of the standard pulse laser and the Small version weighs only 1 ton.

VSP Lasers---The Variable-Speed Pulse Laser has really taken off since the end of the Jihad. Not only are the weapons popular and sustainable among the armies of the Inner Sphere, but it turns out that a tunable laser has many, many applications in industry as well. As such, part of the reason for the popularity and general proliferation of VSP Lasers is that they are easy to acquire in an age when ComStarWeapons inspectors seem to be everywhere.

X-Pulse Lasers---These have been around and widely experimented with for a long time. As such, the entire Inner Sphere can consider this as a mature technology, ready for series production.

Laser AMS---This is a very popular technology right now in various design studies; especially for military naval vessels. The Inner Sphere and Clans are intimately familiar with Laser AMS systems, but due to various outside issues, relative few are in production now. However; their popularity has risen far beyond the status of a technological curiosity and they are now much more common and well-understood than they were. The recent upgrades of the Kuritan fleet feature then extensively, for example.

LF Batteries---Among the Clans; the Lithium-Fusion Battery is a feature which is considered a must-have in a modern warship design and a highly-desirable feature in a JumpShip. In the Inner Sphere, the technology is well understood---in theory---but almost impossible to reproduce in large numbers due to the paucity of capable yards and manufacturers. Currently, only The Republic and 3rd League can easily produce these “spare jumps”.
Republic sanctions limit the export of completed or kit LF-battery modules to the Successor States and the ongoing trade embargo with the 3rd League limits commerce in that direct as well.

Mass Drivers---Considered a weapon of mass destruction, Mass Drivers are banned under three different treaties (Whitting Naval Treaty, SALT I and The Mars Accords). The technology, itself however is well understood by The Republic and the Capellan Confederation. Naturally, it is something the Taurian Concordat would love to get their hands on, but a number of technical limitations have their hands tied for the foreseeable future. Were it not for The Republic; the militaries of the remaining Great Houses would openly covet this technology as well.
The Clans probably retain some knowledge of Mass Drivers as well, but it is likely that at this time, they still see it as a dead end or somehow distasteful. The 3rd League, however has a very detailed understanding of the technology and employs it in limited military and civil roles.

Mech Mortars---It turns out producing a fully-automated indirect-fire mortar is trickier than you might think. But having been prototyped as far back as the 3040s after having been lost for almost 200 years, most interested parties have the bugs worked out by now. The Inner Sphere, The Clans and the Near-periphery can all manage to build and maintain Mech Mortars as regular equipment. Still a niche piece of gear though, due to its inherent limitations.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #309 on: 21 February 2019, 16:15:18 »
Mine Dispensers---Since the Hull treaty went ahead and banned land mines of all types; you can just about figure that anything that spits out a mine is either useless or banned implicitly. Naturally; if you didn’t sign the treaty, no problem. If you did, then these systems are already either gone or gathering dust in a depot, somewhere.

NLRMS---Enhanced LRMS offer minimal advantages over their more traditional cousins for so much increased weight and create an additional incompatible ammunition supply family and as such they are considered materially obsolete as of 3099. All types utilizing NLRMs will be out of production as of 3100.
I emphasize *materially* obsolete. Since the Inner Sphere cannot yet reproduce Clan LRM technology en masse, we can’t call NLRMs totally obsolete in the traditional sense. The proper term is really “Obsolescent”, but given how uncommon use of that word is and potential confusing with an actual game mechanic; I termed it this was. But in Der Tag under the BT rules of obsolete equipment? These things were too granular---even for BT---to survive.

ELRMs---Extended-Range LRMs…In the Meta I would have actually liked to see an option to get a longer-range out of LRMs way before now; “Artillery mode” or whatever. Even with my house-ruling of 100M hexes, LRMs as they are just barely live up to their name when compared with the other weapons in game. With that in mind; the ELRM is a no-brainer of a system. Obviously, an ammunition-handling system able to reliably and safely cycle two-stage missiles is going to be the big hurdle, but once you have that down pat through the prototype stage; you are basically home-free.
As a result; ELRMs are now an easy production item for the entire Inner Sphere.

Streak LRMS---Now standard, readily-available Clan Equipment; just like Streak SRMs.

MRM-Apollo---Such a natural fit for the Draconis Combine for all it does to increase the efficiency of their MRMs, the Apollo system has a permanent home in the DCMS. Outside House Kurita, The Republic has some familiarity with the system and the SLDFiE uses it heavily as well.

Reinforced Repair Facilities---Do not exist. All units so-equipped substitute additional cargo capacity.
Because this is an item of equipment that only exists due to the nerfing of another item (normal repair bays), we can easily discard it. In Der Tag; any repair bay which could not hold a unit while the parent was under-thrust would be effectively useless. Even a static (and non-rotating) space station would need to have at least this much bracing to make just having a naval unit in a repair bay reasonably safe.

Null-Signature system---Only the 3rd League boasts a thorough understanding of Null Signature Systems. All others treat the technology as lost or highly experimental.

Needler Weapons---Banned under the Hull treaty. This seems unnecessarily punitive in the game, but think about how a needler operates; that weapon will be first on the block if you are banning any weapons.
By 1 Jan 3100; any Needler-Equipped infantry have turned in their arms for disposal and many have been destroyed already. If you have a Battle Armour unit with Fire Drakes; then they have been disabled and the ammunition recycled. Figure that higher is working on a refit for your suit, but until then, you may as well kiss it good bye.
Even mercs using these weapons have to keep them hidden while in areas of major Republic support; you can just bet that the local Military is not apt to be understanding when they have already had to turn theirs in.
The production equipment has by now been shutdown and disabled under Republic supervision as well and is awaiting scrapping or re-purposing.

K-F Drives---Within the Inner Sphere; K-F Drive technology is strictly controlled. While well-understood within the inner sphere, closely monitoring and limiting the production and any export of K-F drives is one of the chief means The Republic has of keeping a lid on major inter-stellar warfare.
In the early 3090s; the Inner Sphere came within a hair’s breadth of actually depending on The Republic for export of K-F Field control modules after cascading failures brought on by the Jihad were finally felt. But the Lyran and Draconis Combine research programs managed to re-establish the key production capability just before SALT IV came into effect, officially halting all Kearny-Fuchida research indefinitely.  The Capellan Confederation re-established their own production following an espionage operation in the Andurian Pact, with 3rd League assistance in 3092.
As far as production is concerned; K-F Drives are still very much a LosTech item in the Periphery, where any production is dependant on one or more “Black Box” devices, processes or facilities to continue functioning; devices which can themselves no longer be repaired or understood.
In the Inner Sphere such vast damage was incurred during the Jihad, that even in an ideal galaxy, it would have taken decades, even centuries to re-establish what has been lost. But The Republic limits what can be rebuilt and to what extent and the Inner Sphere may never again see the most recent high-water marks of the late 3060s in Jumpship production.
The Clans likewise suffered grievous damage to their own K-F Drive production capacity during their own Civil War. Internecine squabbling in the purity wars followed Society sabotage and scuttling missions, but the Clans are doing their utmost to re-build, as the strategic and existential costs of doing otherwise are unthinkable to them.

Thunderbolt---The Thunderbolt system is now quite familiar to the armies and manufacturers of the Inner Sphere.

Mech Turrets---Only the SLDFiE has fully-embraced Mech Turrets to the point of being able to consider them a mature technology. Production-model turrets are somewhat more capable than the prototypes have been.

Dual Turrets---The Dual-Turret configuration is principally a minor problem in terms of command and control of a fighting vehicle and not so much a technical hurdle. With those tactical and procedural protocols tackled; the practice has become well-known among the Clans and the Inner Sphere.

Sponson Turrets---These have yet to find wide acceptance outside the SLDFiE. Such that in the Inner Sphere they are still not widely known or appreciated; though a few limited-run combat vehicles mount them. In the SLDFiE, it is a rare Tank company which does not have a few vehicles equipped with sponsons.

VTOL chin turret---The VTOL Chin Turret turned out to be such a natural fit that it has quickly been embraced by both the Clans and the Inner Sphere at large.

Void Signature System---Thanks to the capture of WOB facilities and intact Raven II ‘Mechs; both the RAF and SLDFiE are quite familiar with the Void Signature system. While Stone’s own Black Ops Troops were successful in preventing the capture and analysis of any such equipment by any of the other powers, they have not yet come to understand the technology in great detail themselves. Instead; they look at the Void System as a sort of riddle by rote. Lacking the understanding of the bedrock CLPS and NSS systems; the foundation of the Void Signature System remains a mystery and thus their long-term ability to integrate it into other chassis or improve upon it may be limited.
For their own part; the SLDFiE Consider the Void more efficient, although lacking in raw capability compared to a paired CLPS/NSS suite.

Vehicular jump jets---Still more of a curiosity than anything else; the backup systems and quirks of the Vehicular Jump Jet are now something easily mastered by the manufacturers and techs of both the Inner Sphere and the Clans.

VTOL jet booster---This is a system easily understood and employed by the Inner Sphere. The Clans will likely have a lock on it in the next 10-20 years, but this is simply a matter of how much they care about such vehicles as VTOLs. While the Horses may be the Tank-Clan; there is no VTOL-Clan after-all.

VTOL Mast mount---Such an obvious and useful system; the modern version of the VTOL Mast Mount is much sought after and valued in both the Inner Sphere and among the Clans. The modern version can accommodate Recon Cameras and TAG systems, as well as C3 Slaves and Active probes.

Small Craft---Even the meanest of decently industrialized Periphery Nations could produce a Small Craft in Der Tag; even if you can’t do an AeroSpace Fighter; this technology is simply too valuable to ignore. Any place that can manage to produce or acquire something to break atmosphere will be able to make at least a really bare-bones shuttle, almost by definition.

Dropships---Dropship infrastructure is still heavily over-taxed by the demands put upon it, but they can still be produced by almost all factions except for some of the most limited Periphery Kingdoms.

Jumpships---The hard part of making a Jumpship, for the most part anyways; is normally the Jump Drive. There are a few places that might be able to crank one out, but they simply don’t have a *big enough* yard for the technical data they have access to, but mainly Jumpship Production is limited by the availability of K-F drives, which remains low.

Space Stations---If you can break atmosphere and have some industry, you should be able to build a Space Station. Ditto Satellites.

Warships---IS/Clan. Very few extant facilities, tightest possible controls.

Electric Discharge PM armour---True Clans only.

Extended Jump Jets---Raven Alliance Only.

iATM Launcher---Raven Alliance, Hells Horses, Goliath Scorpions, True Clans

Protomech Magnetic Clamps---I don’t think it’s going overboard at this stage to say that the Clans as a whole could easily master this one.

Nova CEWS---Something of a consolation prize for their experiences in the Clan Civil War and the Purity Wars that followed; the Nova CEWS is still manufactured and understood by the Jade Falcons and The Escorpion Imperio.

Protomech Quad Melee---All the Clans could manage these systems easily; they just need to get their inner furry on.

Centurion Weapons System---Only the SLDFiE still makes use of this system. While the WOBM used a few legacy units they found or prototyped; little knowledge of this system exists outside the 3rd League and The Republic, who only used it as a partial basis for their TSEMP weapon system.

TSEMP---Naturally, as The Republic invented the thing; they own it. I don’t *think* I left any others floating around, but if, say; the Capellans got their hands on some, it would be the RAF’s own damn fault for losing them.
The Multi-shot TSEMP is a better understood example of RISC technology; still experimental, but less so than others.

Ultra-Heavy Protos---I don’t see bridging that final gap between ‘Mechs and ProtoMechs as being all that significant; so, any Clan which is into ProtoMechs should be able to manage this.

Quad PMs---The Clans frankly surprised even themselves at how long it took them to realize the natural fit between their own culture; ProtoMechs and running around on all fours, but now that they’re here; they could hardly imagine any other kind of life.

Glider PM---ProtoMechs seem to be a unit built, rules and fluff-wise at least around the axiom that the flashier and the more dynamic you are, the better you’ll do. I figure any Clan into ProtoMechs enough to want to make them kinda-fly should be able to.

Modular Space Stations---I’m on the fence with whether or not it wouldn’t be easier to make Space Stations from the start like this, but I figure that by now, certainly the Clans and the Inner Sphere at least should be able to handle it. In Der Tag; the Taurians will be the first Periphery power to manage a Modular Space Station.

Primitive jumpships---Deep Periphery. I’m not real certain this has much value, but a number of forum posts have me wondering. In the Der Tag AU; while this technology is generally known, to most of known space, it’s so niche as to not be worth re-examining. However; because a Deep Periphery power might have an easier time with these than normal jumpships; what I am saying is that it is theoretically within their reach to build them when you have a heavily industrialized or specialized faction, without the advanced tech for a true JumpShip. I don’t have any listed like that right now, but if you’re a Primitive Jumpship fan reading this right now; the Deep Dark is where to pin your hopes.

Thermobaric Weapons---Historically, there seems to be some ambiguity as to whether or not Fuel-Air Explosive are considered a WMD. Powerful; yes, but radiation; no. Well, to put it to bed; The Republic says they are banned; so there.
Truthfully; I’d missed these when I wrote up the treaties and in real life, people who write treaties miss things too; so, I went back and added it to SALT IV; the second-to-last of the SALT series.

Super-Jump---This is explicitly banned under both SALT III and SALT IV (which is silly, but things get double and even triple-banned all the time in real life) and it is the capability which is banned, not the technique; as we know from various sources that there are at least two ways to skin this cat.
As I understand the sourcing of the tech from the Manassas and that “Interconnectedness” company; I see no way at this time for the Clans to have any understanding of the technology. And they just wiped the floor with the Society and gutted their own Scientist Castes, so figuring it out for themselves, or even trying with all they have on their plates now seems doubtful. However, if I put on another hat; does this not seem like something the Society would just love to have developed?

Clan Phenotypes---Last, but not least. The first of the TankWarriors have appeared with the Hell’s Horses by 3099 and appear to be doing well. The Jade Falcon’s salvaged the “Elstar” program from the Society splinters within their own ranks and are quite close to completion of that project now. They might even have a few pre-production examples ready to decant or already out.
As for the rest; The Snow Ravens are working on a better Naval/Pilot Phenotype, while the True Clans have begun a project to make their lower castes more productive and subservient. What form this will eventually take is anyone’s guess. Dissatisfaction with the Pilot Phenotype is growing, while the Ghost Bears are still trying to salvage and tweak the Tseng bloodline. Finally; several Clans are attempting to create a superior tailored-ProtoMechWarrior Phenotype better able to cope with the adverse effects of the EI and Neural Interface systems.

That is everything I could find on canon technology in BT that needs addressing for the Der Tag AU. A lot less formal this time than other articles, I’ve provided, but breaking the 4th wall to look at some things seemed necessary.
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.

Rules:

Banned weapons and ammo In Der Tag
Okay; so, it’s against the rules. But I still want to use it!

Here is what we do: For banned ammunition; roll 1d6 at the start of every scenario for each ton of banned ammo. If you roll a 5 or 6; then replace that ton of ammo with a ton of standard or non-banned ammo.
For campaigns, you can keep track of how much of the bad stuff you have on hand. When it’s gone, it’s gone! Consolidate any partially-used lots of ammo into full tons, but keep rolling those 1d6s! This stuff hasn’t been kept well.
Note that LBX-Cluster ammo is only restricted! Not Banned.
Banned Equipment: You managed to hold unto it; good for you!

The only problem is if you are somehow on the field on the same side as RAF troops. If you are, then every turn you use a banned weapon; you suffer a +1 penalty to your next imitative roll. Because you know you did a bad thing, and you just know they saw you do it and now Stone’s boys and girls are going to be pissed!
Cue the role-playing between scenarios where your PC explains *that* to the RAF Paladin!
Contrariwise: Facing enemy units using banned weapons and ammo tends to make RAF troops indignant! How dare they! If they know you have them in your force; they gain a -1 bonus to their own initiative rolls for the duration of the first scenario in a campaign. If you’re doing one-shots this counts every single time!

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #310 on: 21 February 2019, 16:17:29 »
So there is the latest Der Tag Article.

Man! Did I butcher the formatting or what?

Ye Gods and little fishies; do I ever wish I could figure out how to import from word and just have it work as I wrote it!

Anyway, hope you all enjoy it and here is the dropbox link and the forum download.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hf73479nljnsnd/Lostech%20and%20Newtech.docx?dl=0

A.E. Housman

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #311 on: 21 February 2019, 23:06:18 »
waiting on your orbat of all the factions
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #312 on: 21 February 2019, 23:12:32 »
waiting on your orbat of all the factions

Like what we'd get in a faction book?

As in all the main units in the RAF, let's say?

A.E. Housman

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #313 on: 22 February 2019, 00:31:55 »
similar yes.  you’ve posted their naval strengths, knowing their galaxies/regiments/rct’s seems logical.
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #314 on: 22 February 2019, 05:02:00 »
Absolutely superb stuff as always!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #315 on: 22 February 2019, 08:37:28 »
your New warships, and Omni "Mechs you've talked about, are you going to post stats for your AU?
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #316 on: 22 February 2019, 09:33:10 »
similar yes.  you’ve posted their naval strengths, knowing their galaxies/regiments/rct’s seems logical.

Oh yeah, okay. I wasn't sure if you were asking for Orders of Battle as we see in the books or if you meant tables of organization and equipment, which I am also working on.

But yes; mainly the most relevant factions first, like the RAF and SLDFiE and a few side ones; the Jade Falcons feature heaviliy as well in addition to some quasi-independant formations we call "The International Brigades".

Absolutely superb stuff as always!

Thanks, Buddy!

your New warships, and Omni "Mechs you've talked about, are you going to post stats for your AU?

Yes. But some are easier than others.

After the essay series will come more Bench rest articles and some technical readouts. Stuff I've teased for a long time, like the OmniMarauder and Anaconda Gunship. Some of the Warships are harder than others; the Falcon's Aegis IIC is pretty easy. I've got stats for those already. Just need to post them with fluff. It's coming.

Anything designated an "Advanced Warship" is harder, because I am still modeling that in the rules. But what I have started doing is going back and proof-reading/RetConning the mass of what I have written and scanning for/creating stats for any designs mentioned. The ENF-1D, for instance.

A big part of Der Tag is rectifying some issues of longstanding with the feel of the universe. Most of that is fluff, some of it is the militaries and how they interact with a more human universe and a big part of it is the feel of the factions themselves. Partly how they operate, but as this is a game; also some of their gear. The late 60s basically saw faction-specific gear fade and then disappear in the Jihad. Suddenly first the Word had everything and then so did everyone else. That erodes uniqueness. Does no-one have a competant counter-intelligence apparatus?

Of course the Clans have suffered most in this, so a lot of the new gear will be Clan and mainly faction-Specific. The Clans aren't the focus of Der Tag per se; but they are important to the setting.

A.E. Housman

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #317 on: 22 February 2019, 11:57:43 »
i love your work
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #318 on: 22 February 2019, 12:59:11 »
man that was good

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #319 on: 22 February 2019, 18:07:00 »
i love your work

man that was good

Thanks, guys! I am so glad you like it!

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #320 on: 23 February 2019, 02:03:02 »
To elaborate more one what I'm looking at for the ORBATs; they will be somewhat like what we have seen before in official products, but with a feel that for me strikes a balance between the topics covered and approach of an Osprey Elite book https://ospreypublishing.com/store/military-history/series-books/elite but much shorter and the Orders of Battle segments of the Battlefield Documentary series. https://ospreypublishing.com/store/military-history/series-books/elite

That's hard to picture and it will be limited by my own capabilities in the media I use and how I present it, but it's important to me to;

a) Cover information about the faction's militaries that *i* find relevant
and; b) do so in a way which references the opposing forces.

I have a much better grip on A than B right now. But I want to do army overviews covering things like recruitment, selection, training, esprite de corps, sense of belonging and why the soldiers in an army fight. Following that, I'd like to present some form of a more detailed Order of Battle like we saw many years ago in some of the unit unit books, Merc Handbook, ect. Finally each unit, say like; "Stone's Liberators", "The Omi Kurita Brigade" Or "Cobras Fumantes Division'" Will have a short profile. Shorter than we see in the offical books; because the ORBATs will make it less necessary.

Instead; I can make a simple graphic showing what that unit actually looks like; a real "order of battle". I know how to make them in Powerpoint now, i will just be learning how to export them as jpegs or whatever.

So, like: What brings someone to join the SLDFiE? How does someone feel about being in X-Y-Z unit and the Stellar-Political situation? Why do they fight?

I have a real yen for military organization, so expect to see more of that.

Enabling objective to be able to get to that point include---for me---things that appear tangentially or even distantly related. Like, I have a spreadsheet with every BT infantry weapon I could find on it. I want to produce rationalized stats for those. That feeds into a Table of Organization and Equipment for the SLDFiE, which in turn allows me to design their ORBATs and ships.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #321 on: 28 February 2019, 19:25:52 »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/367tyu16ejkhkmv/Project%20Phoenix%20A%20Lesson%20in%20Marketting%20and%20Mech%20Design.docx?dl=0

Project Phoenix
A Lesson in Marketing and Mech Design
Anonymous Blogpost on the Tharkad Computer Network, 19 May 3092

Vicore Industries, led by the enigmatic Giovanni De La Sangre is an example of “Rock Soup” Entrepreneurial growth. Starting from almost nothing and offering little, Vicore rapidly grew into a massive, multi-world powerhouse producing huge quantities of cutting-edge fighting machines incorporating an array of advanced technology from all across the Inner Sphere.

Between the Fall of the Star League and the debut of the Merlin in 3010, the number of different types of fighting machines in service in known space tended to dwindle. Even in the 40s and 50s when more new designs began to be produced and sold openly, the vast majority of those in service were models which would have been familiar to any MechWarrior or Tanker of the past 300 years. The Clan Wars, initially did little to change this, as while attrition fell generally upon the most common types in service in the Federated Commonwealth, Draconis Combine and Periphery; the factories at the time were still producing mainly those types in accordance with the orders coming from the various purchasing and supply departments of the Major House Militaries involved.

While this did tend to reduce the number of extant family-owned examples of front-line and second-line military hardware, overall; the people placing the orders and the people requesting the orders be made tended to prefer models of ‘Mech and Tank as similar as possible to what they had been most familiar with up until now.

That started to change as the Industrial might of the Free World’s League began to make its presence felt in mid-3052. A major supplier of military hardware to foreign interests since the 30s; the Manufacturers of the Free Worlds League were increasingly willing to offer totally new products to replace losses on the Clan front. These losses created the not-wholly-unfounded impression that there was something inherently wrong with older models; particularly of BattleMechs.

This assertion was not completely without merit. In 3050, less than a third of advanced technology ‘Mechs produced were built to Star League Specifications. The rest either existed in fact as factory-supplied “Refit Kits” of parts and tools to upgrade older models in the field or new-build versions of these self-same kits. These “Upgrades” and “Refits” trended heavily towards the inefficient and even the nonsensical and did little to aid most of their crews in battle. Witness examples such as the many and various Double Heat Sink upgrades; which simply pulled the old singles for new, double-efficiency “Freezers”. These doubled the heat dissipation capability of the recipient ‘Mech without any regard for what it actually needed. While some designs benefitted greatly, most MechWarriors found their rides radically over-cooled; some far-beyond the ability of their systems to actually tax. This might have been useful on sun-baked desert worlds, but it was simply wasteful in most cases. Other upgrades sacrificed ammunition capacity, sometimes in baffling ways. The HBK-5M is an example of both phenomena; senselessly cool-running and with only 5 shots for the Kali Yama Big Bore. More egregious was the -3M upgrade for the Goliath offered by Corean, out of Stewart. This, for obscure and avoidable technical reasons doubled the machinegun ammunition to a ludicrous 400 bursts, while providing the new and deadly Gauss Rifle with only 8 nickel-ferrous slugs with which to work.

Complicating the issue was that most factories were still turning out designs untouched since the 3rd Succession War, either out of necessity for lack of access and experience with new technology or due to shortfalls in supplies of the new materiel. One could easily order 40 CRD-5S from TharHes and wind up with about 3-dozen of the -5S model and a Hodgepodge of re-conditioned and newly-built CRD-3Rs.

Not all the designs built from recovered Lostech were dismal, however and it pays to recall that man’s armies have always laboured with knowingly shoddy and mistakenly flawed war materiel. Most of the old SLDF-designs were well-received. These were built on new and re-built lines from recovered specifications and varied little, if at all from their forebearers of 300 and more years before. Some of the Great Houses still possessed depots of partly stripped and mothballed ‘Mechs, tanks and AeroFighters they had lost the ability to maintain centuries ago and then forgotten about until audits in 3040s revealed these later-day caches. When found, these were quickly revitalized, when possible with extant equivalents or direct copies of missing or damaged systems.

While a number of the new upgrades were respectable additions to the battlefields of the 3050s; nothing that could or would be produced in the Inner Sphere for another quarter-century would match Clan OmniMechs.

All these factors together created a building pressure in the cultures and thinking of the armies of the Inner Sphere; Mercenary and House, alike.

For three centuries, man had lived in an upside-down paradigm where everything that came before was going to be better than everything that came after. This was never the norm in history, but it was just how people thought for a very long time. For 300 years; things always got worse and were only going to get worse. When something; some fixture, item of equipment or war machine broke down; whatever replaced it, if it even could be replaced; was going to be materially inferior. It was just how things were. But if you could find a Star League Cache, oh boy! Now that would be something; normally untouched 300-year old gear that could beat anything out there today.

The Clan Invasion changed all that.

Newer generations and laymen don’t understand this; but almost everything to be found in a Star League Cache was generally going to be second line, older-model equipment (normally MORE, sometimes MUCH MORE than 300 years old), which had been put into storage against the day it would be upgraded, sold off on the open market, scrapped or expended as a target. That this equipment was well-kept; often in neutral-gas storage, protected from the elements and well-hidden was simply good sense. This was still fairly-effective and advanced war machinery that any of a thousand undesirables; not least among them, the Great Houses of the Inner Sphere would have *loved* to lay hands on. It was left behind by Kerensky for a reason; he didn’t want it and didn’t have the time, resources or manpower to destroy it. Anything truly advanced ever found in the Star League Cache was either left by accident or forgotten about in the hustle and bustle of the exodus. Didn’t you ever wonder why in all the stories of lost riches and incredible technological wonders, you never heard about a company of SLDF Warhammers with ERPPCs? Because, instead they were probably old -6R models or even BattleAxes and whoever found them felt like they had just used up seven lifetimes of luck. No, it someone ever did find a nugget of real LosTech in a Star League Cache, then that was a fluke and nothing more.

Materially, the only thing making the newer designs of ‘Mechs and Tanks *better* was an improved familiarity with the technology now at hand. No-one had yet introduced much that was truly *new* and revolutionary; the various design houses were simply getting better at using the ‘tech. We could just as easily have kept putting out new and improved upgrades and new models of old machines, but the new breed of the mid-to-late 3050s had other advantages which older machines couldn’t match.

They *looked* new; often with newly designed systems and aesthetics and they looked *different*. If one had come to associate the Ancient and Lost SLDF designs with a better bygone age; than the familiar fighting machines of the Succession Wars had a sense of commonness and failure about them after the Clans came. Something totally new and unfamiliar didn’t have that and even a septuagenarian Bolan retiree who hadn’t looked at so much as a children’s Technical Readout in sixty years could tell there was something *new and different* about the Hammers and Tempests and Cerberus’ coming off the Marik lines in 3055. The effect was declining orders for all versions of older model ‘Mechs going forward. This was made possible in turn by the competing designs now being offered by other manufacturers, outside the Free World’s League.

Interestingly; this phenomenon didn’t seem to touch conventional, ground-crawling combat vehicles, VTOLs or Fighters the way it did ‘Mechs. Combat Vehicles had always died like flies to ‘Mechs and the Clans didn’t change that except quantitatively. And since the Inner Sphere’s AeroSpace arm, as a whole had fared well against Clan Pilots, the general attitude was one of; “If it aint ‘broke; don’t fix it.” This prejudice, however would serve to ****** integration of advanced technology into Combat Vehicles and ASF for decades and most upgrades and replacements came at the behest of the producers, not the end-users, when it simply became easier not to support the older tech any longer or produce something better because it was just as easy by that point, or for economy’s sake. By 3056, for instance; many firms were paying nearly as much for sourced large lasers designed in the 25th century as they were for the Extended-Range models. When that’s your bottom line; you may as well switch production over completely to that new Seydlitz model that’s been gathering dust and turning out a few examples per year since the early 40s.

Some changes had already taken place, however. By the late 3040s, most of the next decade’s worth of AeroFighter Upgrades were already at least laid out, if not available for anyone who actually wanted to buy them. The triple-tracked Vedette hadn’t been officially supported by anyone since the 30s, in a surprise move to the dissimilar appearing, but similarly-performing two-tracked “Monkey Model”. Even the lowly Galleon’s official design and appearance was re-modeled in the 40s, followed by the DCMS’ Samurai Aerofighter later that decade at the Sai factory soon to be lost to the Smoke Jaguars.

It was these latter procedures which ostensibly interested Governor De La Sangre.

‘Mechs and other fighting machines had long varied in appearance; examples include the two main Marauder patterns for centuries; GM’s angular, narrow-profile versions with square cockpits (With and without ball-and-socket arms) and the old Hegemony-pattern with the more conical/rounded torso and keyhole-shaped cockpit. This kind of thing is where we find the source of such aphorisms as “What’s that got to do with the height of an Atlas?” Referring to the famously varying heights of the infamous King of Assault Mechs due to variations in the design and manufacturing processes between the Hesperus II, Robinson, Quentin, Al Na’ir and Carver V outputs. Then you have the original tall and “aerodynamic” Hollis Catapults and the later DC/CC “Fatapults” that proved easier to build on the new lines built in the late 30s/early 40s.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #322 on: 28 February 2019, 19:26:36 »
It’s been the rule for a long time that even if two widely-spaced factories built the same mech for the same company, if would come to vary in external (and internal!) details before too long, if not immediately. Especially if they had to change the armour-type for a few units or a few years here and there or even in the field. This phenomenon has led to more than just variations in appearances, but also major performance differences (as in many ‘Mech variants created due to local preferences and regularized custom orders) and in basic parts (as in the three and two-tracked Vedettes and Four and Two-Tracked Demolishers) as well as many ‘Mech and Tank variants which have arisen due to supply chain hiccups.

In the greatest extremes we even have cases like the various Locust builds where what we really have in most cases is a common (or similar) equipment set and a common performance envelope built with similar or identical components (for the most part) into a widely varying array of configurations, all of which are designated LCT-1V; Locust. This comes up when people are working off partial blueprints, intelligence reports, incomplete reverse-engineering and even grainy recon-photos. That’s why we have low and flat Locusts and tall-narrow-bulky Locusts; both variations on the Star League models; themselves developed from the 2499 originals and then the even later *torso-twisting* Locusts that the Project Phoenix models are based on.

So, you see that a given model of mech is, at the end of the day fundamentally equal to the sum of its parts and the culmination of its performance parameters and specifications, despite what it looks like. Also; why a WarBook program takes up about a Terabyte and a half on your hard drive.

What De Le Sangre did was take the phenomena of aesthetic variation between factories and apply it to the problem of neglected product lines.

By the late 3050s, many “Classic” models of BattleMech had all but disappeared from frontline service through combat losses or relegation to garrison formations far from the multitudinous front lines. In either case, replacement came in the form of more recent models. The equipment they mounted might be comparable, but nonetheless; ‘Mechs like the Archer and Phoenix Hawk increasingly found themselves shuffled to far-off posts and removed from the scope of Tri-Vid cameras and public imagination. Very bad news for the manufacturers of such machines. In many cases, production had ceased entirely; the tooling gathering dust in disparate long-term storage facilities, awaiting final disposition; the old lines used as storage space themselves for the overflow from newer models now in production.

Seemingly from nowhere comes Giovanni De Le Sangre with an offer that cannot be refused; allow his firm to re-design the aesthetics of classic BattleMech types; get them back in production alongside the newer models. De Le Sangre started making the rounds about November, 3058; just after Operation: Guerrero, but right about when everyone was just about ready to be convinced the FedCom Civil War was inevitable. This is also shortly after the Word of Blake seized Terra and concurrent to the tail end of the first Whitting Conference, when the Great Houses agreed to reform the Star League and take the war back to the Clans.

You can not buy timing like that.

We know now that De La Sangre was connected to the Word of Blake somehow, thanks to the efforts of the man known to history only as “Damocles” and Colonel Marcus Webb of the Star Seeds Mercenary Company. But we don’t know much else, except through observation. The De La Sangre family had ruled Demeter since the Davion Occupation and Giovanni appeared to come to power through legitimate succession following a successful business career and extensive schooling.

All this amounts to a cypher for what came later, because not only did De La Sangre disappear shortly after his capture; no one has ever made public any information from his interrogations.

What we observe is that this man asked for and received audiences with top executives from dozens of major firms involved in production of BattleMechs. Some large, some small; most in competition with one another. He managed this, apparently on the basis of his charisma and title alone, as his business interests prior to this were basically laughable when compared to even the smallest of the companies he approached.

What he accomplished was nothing less than the greatest shell game in the history of the Military Industrial Complex; in short: PROJECT: PHOENIX.

Even most of us in the Mech Spotting Game have never questioned Project Phoenix.

For most of us, it goes no deeper than this: “Vicore brought back our old favourites! Yay! But the Word of Blake also used them! Boo!”

I’ve been in this game a long time, friends. And I’m not just some punk whose nose has been buried in a spotter’s manual since before he could read; See I know for a fact that most of you plebes never do more than look at the pictures; I see your forum posts, yeah; I know you and those like you. Well let me tell you, unless you have stuck your nose into some truly dark places ---Databases? --- don’t make me laugh. This is what I’m talking about; wanna-be hackers, getting yourselves on Loki watchlists; think you’re Heimdall. NO! I mean Libraries! I’m talking hitting the offline datastacks and pulling some files too boring and dense for the WorldNet.

I’m here to tell you that unless you have ever stopped to really *think*, you don’t even GET what Project Phoenix really was. Let me tell you.

Here is what De La Sangre really did:

First; the material side of things:
-He came to multi-trillion Kroner outfits like Defiance and Earthworks and LAW with proposals and even some blueprints *in hand* from his *dinky little outfit back home* for taking sunk-cost, out-of-use tooling, gathering dust in warehouses; actually costing these guys money to store and use 85-90% of it to build what were effectively 20-60% new designs.
-Those designs? Turned out to be decent to superb fighting machines under real, combat conditions for the most part.
Just that right there is incredible.

Now the technological side of things:
-De La Sangre cut deals that amounted to open-faced technology exchanges for what were essentially state secrets among all known parties, with him and his *dinky little outfit back home* as the central clearing house; that being located in the Federated Suns-portion of the Commonwealth. Some of this tech mind you? Wasn’t yet out of field testing. Some was still in prototyping. By the end of negotiations Vicore had the rights to design and produce 22 different models of BattleMech in various configurations, using the most advanced technology just then becoming available in in five different, for the most part; hostile states.
-Vicore manages to have these designs ready for production inside the next 5-7 years. Vicore; this *dinky little outfit back home*, which had never produced a thing as far as anyone could tell before they are suddenly a clearing house for new and cutting edge ‘Mech designs as of 3065-ish; maybe *earlier*.
DLS makes all this happen; this is what “Rock Soup” is; you start a beggar making “Soup” with rocks and water; you play it up and suddenly you have people just giving you spices, vegetables, meat and gravy to add to your soup, just to be a part of it.

Last, but certainly not least; the *logistics* of this whole thing simply boggles the mind.

-If De La Sangre actually managed the logistical side of this himself at all, then he is a man with a talent to light the galaxy on fire. Nonetheless, what *Vicore* or its benefactors managed was to get *dozens* of new ‘Mech production lines built, quickly and ahead of schedule for over nearly twenty different firms on as many worlds and also reproduce and build new-tooling as needed to meet their other commitments *elsewhere*.
-This was done without raising any eyebrows.
-The contracts came rolling in, as promised and right on schedule.
-A lot of it was done secretly.
-Supply lines ran fast and on time, except when shipments of *finished products only* got mysteriously hijacked in nearly flawless piracy operations.
-Whole new factories that never existed before got set up on Terra and its environs and then elsewhere in what would become the WOB protectorate. Black sites were built and operated who knows where, supplying we’ll-never-really-know-who.
-Production ran consistently on-time, under-budget and ahead of schedule.
-Vicore managed to cook the books such that no-one even missed any extra 70-ton walking tanks strolling out the door.
Take your time and drink all that in.

And this is just the original program; which of course, De Le Sangre had the audacity to name after an earlier Davion upgrade program run out of Hoff, which had major House Backing and wasn’t a fraction as successful. Vicore went on to openly add the Galleon tank to their line, set up a real Valkyrie factor on Demeter; so they could say they actually made something, re-modeled another three Word of Blake signature ‘Mech designs and added a few new Grim Reaper variants to that line.

De Le Sangre’s people did all this; managed to be a HUGE driving force behind building up every part of the Wobbly War machine and he still didn’t even get exposed until half-way through the Jihad.

And this is just what we can prove. In addition; we have to figure that any operation big enough to be organizing and moving this much effort, manpower and materiel around the board can probably be hiding who knows what else.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #323 on: 28 February 2019, 19:27:55 »
So, this leaves us with two distinct possibilities; De Le Sangre was either a well-positioned figurehead; a patsy in effect. Or he was effectively a polymath genius in marketing, organization and logistics. The later representing, in effect; a strategic threat. Let’s be clear here; this is effectively a binary decision set. There was no executive-level tiger-team running things for the Governor of a minor world while he did other things behind the scenes or acted as a public face. Those people do not exist. Vicore was a tiny company De Le Sangre had founded and built himself before succeeding his mother in 3053. That Vicore had outside *technical* help is both obvious and unavoidable as a conclusion and one has to ask just how far back was this planned for? But inherently there is no moderate or middle-ground explanation for these events and this man that works.

Even if we take it as read that the Word was behind Vicore and Project: Phoenix from the beginning; that doesn’t make what was accomplished one iota less impressive. Give the Robes full credit for being fluent in technology and having the backup organization to manage the technical side of things. That is still several years of all-out and costly effort, which almost certainly had to have been on the table since long before the schism split the organization.

But that other stuff? We just don’t know. Maybe if Damocles had lived, maybe if Stone would ever let anyone look at the Republic’s WOB files; or even if Starling was still around; we might know. But without any of that, what we have is a series of cold trails that all lead to one blank spot on the map with the Legend; “Here be Wobblies”. It’s simple, really; here in this community we all know how long it takes to crank out a new ‘Mech variant or a whole new model. We’re talking *years* and almost none of those are putting appearance front and centre, right? But we can all do that math and Project: Phoenix as-written cannot fit that timeline. Tracing it all back to one man and his pet something-company back home basically nails it.

So, what about that one man, huh?

Well, by the time they announced they had him; Giovanni De Le Sangre was already officially disappeared. After his capture, so far as the official record shows; he was never seen again. Not even at the big war crimes trials after the war. He could be dead. More likely, I think is the idea that the Republic has him tucked away somewhere; either a super-secure black site prison or in some kind of witness relocation program.

Here again; we can deduce a few key facts about the man and his capabilities, however.

We can pretty much cinch that if he is everything he was cracked up to be; “Mr. Conspiracy to Commit Genocide”, either as a patsy/figurehead or a genius, we would know about it. A useless figurehead the Coalition could not have avoided holding up to the bright lights of justice.  If he’s a genius; then we also know that he’s in no-one’s back pocket working levers behind the scenes; we know what that looks like; he did it for maybe as many as 20 years or more and frankly, we in this community *know* there is no massive weapons program in the works. Something special? Maybe. Something high-tech; certainly. But does the RAF have some humongous Phoenix-level rearmament plot going on? No. facts not in evidence and I mean anywhere; because you guys know me, the smart ones have already figured out who I am. I’m the Logistics *guy* in this community. I’m *The Guy* plugged into all the boring, but important crap. On Tharkad, anyways; which may as well be Terra, let’s be honest. Bottom line: DLS is off the board.

So, what about the SLDFiE? Nope. Sorry; timelines don’t match. Unless they cloned him; that pie was baked at least 20 years before the end of the Jihad and the SLDFiE came as a *shock* to everyone; including the Robes. If DLS was involved in any way; he’d have told his buddies and they would have felt more than justified nuking the Canton Worlds into glass right off the hop. Especially if the rumours about the WOBM as an Anti-Clan force have any merit; competition being bad for business.

And finally; I think we can all tell there is no genius behind the rebuilding efforts. The Jihad ended two decades ago and most of the mess we grew up with is *still there*. A guy who could juggle schedules, tooling and shipping like DLS-as-genius could have, would have had this whole mess cleaned up before I was out of high school, at the very least. And yet; here we are staring down a new century and the Capital is *still* hot; the Republic’s own protectorate worlds are still a mess; hell, we haven’t even got the HPG and JumpShip systems back running like they should.

So; we’re all smart people here; you have to be saying “But Hey! That’s it; Interstellar Shipping is shot since the war, no-wonder stuff is still bad!” Well, yeah; that’s the party line from the Archon and his buddies in the Republic; hell: the *Suns* even! But me? Yeah, you already know: I have been living on fusionnaires and Toad-Fuel since I got onto this and I’m way ahead of you.

Ya boi ran down the registries of every single JumpShip (because if you can’t jump, it doesn’t matter) operating in the Inner Sphere at the time DLS was move’n and shake’n and you know what? What with the whole; several wars going on at once, thing; there were *fewer* ‘Jumpers available then, than there are now; in an age of “relative” peace. Exactly 27% fewer. Which is terrifying on its own if you’re into shipping schedules like yours truly (it’s a sickness). You may try and call me on all this, but really; it’s turtles all the way down. Once you figure the sheer scale of running down a project like this, the JumpShip registries are going to be one of the first things you need to look at. I pulled files from as far off as Luthien and Sian through the ComStar Interstellar Library service and it was not cheap; let me tell you. I may have also had to hack myself into a PHD program at the Nagelring to get the cred to back up my pulls; but you all know I couldn’t care less about a diploma. This stuff is my life! And I bring it all to you for nothing, my adoring friends.

Although, if you want; contributions to my AlmsOnline account are always welcome. You know the one. My real fans do anyways.

But to bring us back on track; the guy is most assuredly *not active* anymore and has not been since he was captured back in ’77. Two not-mutually-exclusive explanations for this are as follows; Giovanni De Le Sangre as a free man represents an exceptionally dangerous element to leave lying around. This man’s skills would be a breaking contribution to any status quo; let alone ours. And make no mistake; logistics is key in all things, especially war. The other possibility is that DLS provided information of such pertinence; such ongoing value that it was enough to grant him immunity from prosecution, but also too dangerous to ever allow back into the public eye again. It also follows that if he provided information like that, he’d need to be kept alive for whatever else he might know at some later date and time; should it become pertinent. Like, say; you find another WOB enclave. As I said; not mutually exclusive in any way.

The other possibility is to take it one step further.

Did DLS know something or somethings so damaging or so horrible that he couldn’t be allowed to live? Again; possible. We just *don’t know*. The thing about logistics is that they apply to all sorts of things besides making ‘Mechs happen. Things like moving prisoners around and getting prison camps built on time and run just right. It may be that DLS was more than just this master orchestrator of ‘Mech design rebirth. It may be that he was less of a Henry Ford and more of a Kalvin Singh or an Albert Speer. I hope I am getting those historical references right; but anyways my point is that Demeter turned into not-a-sideshow operation and involved quite a bit of coalition firepower being applied pretty thoroughly and not necessarily with a great deal of discrimination. I’m saying maybe bagging this guy was personal for some people in the Coalition. Who knows?

Anyways, as we all know; Without DLS’ personal touch and the Word of Blake making it happen behind the scenes; Project: Phoenix didn’t quite…stay the course, let’s say?

This is more or less a matter of opinion, but I personally think that without the massive orders placed by the Word and their former allies, mostly all now long gone; the line itself has somewhat withered. A lot of this has to do with the quieter times we now find ourselves in. But some of it has to be seen as a rejection of at least some of the Project Phoenix re-designs as an aesthetic; where we have seen unusual declines in interest in some models out of all proportion to the general drawdowns everyone is going through and a distinct and willful movement away from the “Original Re-Designs” by manufacturers.

Now to the layman, it seems silly that the appearance of a fighting machine might influence its popularity with those who operate it or decide to purchase it. But in fact, this is not the case; rather a warrior is often deeply affected by the appearance of his or her ‘Mech, Tank or Fighter and come to identify deeply with it. This more-shallow affection or distaste for a particular *model* may be a symptom of the dramatic movement away from personally-owned ‘Mechs. It might be interesting to speculate how things might have turned out, had the Republic not chosen to pursue a policy of eliminating private ownership of military equipment, post-Jihad. Or even if similar policies had not been enacted in the Federated Suns, parts of the fractured Free Worlds and our own Lyran Commonwealth. But, alas; we cannot change history and the return to prevalence of the warrior possessing title or defacto ownership of his or her ride seems to have been stillborn.

Back on track; the most popular models tend to look imposing; the Thug is a good example of this. Or noble; as The Shadow Hawk is often described (Which is why you often see them used as the models for tomb stones on MechWarrior graves and public monuments). Or Dynamic; like it’s going a thousand kph while static: both the original and re-designed Samurai AeroSpace Fighters manage this handily.

Sometimes, it’s much more subjective. Witness the end of the Enforcer III’s production life. What’s wrong with it? Nothing, really. Except that for no good reason, Davion MechWarriors have decided they don’t like the look of it and public opinion and senior officer bias cites it as a reminder of the FedCom Civil War. The Davions certainly have enough Medium ‘Mechs that they can afford to end production of one, but this was a flagship model and a redesign of a BattleMech as Classically Davion as any. And the last one will come off the line sometime in the next six years, to be replaced by the model the -III replaced itself in the 60s; the original Enforcer; possibly in the -1D variant. If, that is; the Feddies can get this new AutoCannon we’ve all been hearing about, right.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #324 on: 28 February 2019, 19:28:46 »
The Project Phoenix redesigns witnessed something similar; with pilots rejecting the Rifleman, Crusader, Thunderbolt, Warhammer and Marauder. How much this has to do with pop culture scapegoating (such as in last year’s David Lear Bio-Trid, where the Blakists only use Vicore-redesigned ‘Mechs and the good guys use anything but) and how much is to do with the subjective bias of the pilots is hard to say. Materially; yes, I think we all have to agree that these days you’re lucky to have any mech at all, even if you come out of whatever Academy program. The slots and command couches just are not there like they once were. But let’s be honest with ourselves; whether you’re a newcomer or you grew up in these forums and clubs, we also have to admit that we all have aesthetic preferences ourselves.

What I think it comes down to is that in some cases the Vicore people did their damn jobs too well. Take it back to the start; the new mechs looked new and different; they gained favour over the old mechs. Vicore comes in and offers new looks for old mechs to get the procurement people interested again. But from the beginning wasn’t part of the draw supposed to be in the marketing ploy of *re-newing* the old? Nobody wanted yet more whole new ‘Mechs to compete with; the classics were classics because their basic formulae of protection, mobility and firepower kept them from going extinct during 300-plus years of conflict. That’s not nostalgia; that’s confidence and you can’t mass-produce that. For the most part, I think they did okay. But in some cases; I think they went too far.

If you offer me a new Griffin; I know what I’m signing up for. But if you bring me something I can’t recognize and tell me it’s a Griffin; you have to prove it to me all over again; I won’t just accept what you show me. “Show them what they expect to see” is a good rule to follow in any presentation. Some of the Vicore redesigns, while they may have used most of the same parts that were sitting in warehouses and the same tooling that was gathering dust elsewhere; they didn’t manage to nail the balance of looking *new* while looking *enough like* the originals to manage to really tie together the mix of a new and encouraging appearance with good performance. And sometimes in the rush for *new*; what we got in appearance was just that; a rush job. Like the massive, horizontal heatsink arrays jutting out from the jowls of the Marauder’s excavator-like cockpit.

You see; MechWarriors are a funny lot and Tankers and Fighter-Jocks too, I guess. Their ride can work great; but it wears you down day after day when it gets compared (somewhat accurately) to a piece of construction equipment; which is what a lot of the pilots are saying. 40 years ago; who would have cared about *that*? But in an era where some pretty regular units really are getting by with Technicals; which are just modified industrial mechs, yeah; I wouldn’t want anyone confusing my BattleMech for a glorified harvester or walking backhoe, either. How much less the Commanders of those units? You think the Skye Rangers want to be mistaken for some backwater militia? No? Well, sorry; but from a lot of angles, you have a few ‘Mechs there that look like they would be more at home painted bright yellow than the Ranger’s Red and Black.

And some of those complaints are just crap too. Can you really tell me that your beef with your Rifleman is that it *looks* as fragile as a Rifleman always has been? You can, but I know that’s entirely subjective. And yet…Kallon’s numbers this quarter and the last five were all way below what they should have been.

But on the other hand; nor have we seen these models declining as during the late 50s and early 60s. Most manufacturers have diversified and dispersed their production lines; opting for strategies that are designed to maintain large bodies of trained workers who could quickly train others. Small runs of many designs on more lines may not look good in the short-term, but these companies are all backing on the turn of the worm of history to see them back on top, even in the Republic.

So, instead; we are seeing these designs continuing in use and production, but being tweaked in an ongoing fashion. Witness; the new Capellan -8L Crusader where minor changes have MechWarriors and spotters alike drooling over a Crusader in a way not many have since the late 40s. How did they do it? Well somehow; the Cappies re-discovered what a Crusader should look and feel like. I can’t quite put my finger on it; maybe it’s in the arms, maybe it’s the Feng Shui? I don’t know. But it works. Too bad buying from the Confederation puts you well and truly on Stone’s naughty list. Other manufacturer’s have met with mixed results with their ongoing re-designs. About the best news Star Corps has had in twenty years is that no-one seems to realize that the Lich is still basically a Warhammer. Welcome to the world in which we live, my friends; it’s a weird one.

Alongside a return in some circles to more traditional lines, we’re seeing a sort of extended “finding of the self” where various companies are continuing the re-designs with successive variants; striving for that sweet spot where the form and function of a given fighting machine will give them the edge they need in this atmosphere of ever-declining market share.

Another ongoing trend is for refit kits and back-dating.

The second wave of refit kits begin in the early 70s and has never really stopped; these are factory and aftermarket kits to refit older chassis to newer specs. So a Wolverine that came off the lines in the 29th century or spring of 3050 can be re-built to match the specs of one from 3082. Some are done at the factory and some in more austere conditions, depending on the extent of the upgrades involved. Back-Dating has become a thing; downgrading modern or recent-production machines to specifications that can be more easily supported. I’ve even seen pictures of RetroTech back-dating applied in some militia units to Project Phoenix models and a lot of the late-50s Star League re-treads, taking them back to succession-wars specs in order to better maintain them on limited budgets and uncertain supply lines.

Finally, we are left with the last lose end of the Project Phoenix story; why are there Clan Project Phoenix ‘Mechs?

Easy; there are not. Not even Giovanni De Le Sangre could have managed to get in to have sit down with the Clan Civilian Castes to work out the kind of sweetheart deal he was so ably to conclude with most of the major Spheroid ‘Mech-Makers. What we have instead is a culture and a Military-Industrial Complex which is even more driven by the personalities of it’s Warriors than our own. While the Clans might claim to scoff at sentiment; the feel and pedigree of a given model of War Machine is vital to their Warriors. Something is always better than nothing, but when the choice is made; new and from a proud lineage and looking as deadly as the Warrior feels are the considerations in play. It’s almost akin to Spheroid high-fashion culture. Which goes a long way to explaining the Totem-Mech Phenomena.

The Clanners talk a good game on utility and function over form, but at the end of the day; they fix it so that most of the old stuff is used up and out of service before the newer Generations take to the field. That seems to have been gradually changing with the advent of the OmniMech, but it is still very true with more conventional types. Or at least that had always been the intent.

Around the time DLS was making the rounds; the Clan Merchants, Scientists and Labourer Caste were trying to figure out how to continue to supply their Warriors in a conflict their society, truthfully; was never actually built for. They had a limited capacity for constant new models of weapon perennially; but they needed a break to get their collective breath back, without breaking stride in production or attracting the wrath of the ever-prickly Warrior Caste. They also needed to either move or setup new tooling in the Occupation Zones to support the war in the Inner Sphere. A re-branding of older weapons systems would accomplish that. It wouldn’t touch the various other logistical problems the Clans as a whole were facing, but it would help.

I’m not sure we will ever know if The Clans somehow found out what DLS was doing or just had the same idea at about the same time in an act of convergent evolution. What we do know is that in the late 50s; they were involved in the same kind of thing; re-working their second line forces in appearance and configuration, while also expanding production to meet the increasing needs of their Warrior Caste, while simultaneously moving or duplicating portions of their military industrial complex in the Inner Sphere.

I still think what DLS pulled off was more impressive, but what the Clans did is still quite the accomplishment and albeit of a similar nature, on an only slightly-smaller scale.

What we have seen in the last thirty years is a dramatic reduction in front-line Omnis among all Clan forces in the Inner Sphere. In their place, we have seen the Civilian Castes attempt to compensate by introducing successive waves of re-designed and visually distinct second line ‘Mechs. I can’t be sure how the Warriors really feel about this, but I think that giving them something that doesn’t *look* like 100-year-old Solahma equipment with a fresh coat of paint is a necessary salve to their collective egos.

It pays to remember as well; just how very little we have seen in the way of Clan weapons development in the last 50 years; with a few exceptions (Heavy Lasers, HAGs and ATMs spring to mind), their equipment has changed little. So, while Project Phoenix produced radical re-designs with new capabilities; what we have seen of the later Clan Second line machines are more akin to continuing refinements, which; again, will be less exciting to a Trueborn Warrior than would be an open-ended OmniMech or something totally new and different. I’m not sure what the ultimate solution will be, but it’s clear that re-working second-class equipment to bring it up to standard is only a stopgap. It’s a mistake to be giving the Clans this kind of breathing room to sort their military-industrial complex out.

I’ve been on this one for months and I think even my legendary constitution is starting to run down. But before I turn off the white noise generator I need to work and keep the government away from my stuff and turn on the white noise generator I need to sleep, I want to leave you with something to think on.

What was done before, can be done again. Project: Phoenix was a flashier attempt then most; one that used the flash to hide in plain sight, but it’s not unique. In researching this subject, I same across many examples of hidden armies unleashed on an unsuspecting universe. The Robes seemed unprecedented to us, but the truth is they were not. We should have known; should have seen the signs and been prepared, but we weren’t. I don’t think disarming and leaving ourselves vulnerable is any better a solution than blind ignorance. Food for thought.

Sláinte

A.E. Housman

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #325 on: 28 February 2019, 22:31:29 »
Very interesting
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #326 on: 01 March 2019, 03:37:38 »
An absolutely magnificent read!  So well thought out and very right on all the points you raise :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #327 on: 01 March 2019, 09:24:36 »
Thanks, guys! I am really glad you like it!

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #328 on: 15 March 2019, 23:13:40 »
Here is the latest production report. Mainly, it incorporates information from the recent objectives series. I came acorss these while researching for a different, but paralelle project.

There is not a lot added; just little bits here and there. I found this series pointed me to a number of new mentioned-once designs. I have mixed feelings on these. On the one-hand; these are all the kind of designs I'd be interested in seeing statted out in print. On the other; it would suck if we never got to see them.

As a result; what i did was add these designs to my Never-Seen thread and will add them to the production report when they are statted out.

A.E. Housman

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #329 on: 15 March 2019, 23:24:16 »
Wow! Awesome and thank you!!!

Register