Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 147103 times)

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #600 on: 05 May 2019, 16:32:08 »
I just finished the old Dark Sun books.  Prism Pentad, then I started the Chronicles of Athas for a switch to single books.  But book 3 follows the Tribe of One trilogy, so I had to read them before finishing the five Chronicles.  It was nice to revisit that world for a while.

Next will be 'The Final Reflection', the old Star Trek novel.  I haven't read it since the old days.  I've been working on my SFB merchant campaign idea again, and this should help keep the mood.  And it will give me some time to organize my unread stuff.

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #601 on: 05 May 2019, 17:42:29 »
I just finished the old Dark Sun books.  Prism Pentad, then I started the Chronicles of Athas for a switch to single books.  But book 3 follows the Tribe of One trilogy, so I had to read them before finishing the five Chronicles.  It was nice to revisit that world for a while.

I love all of those. There are also three more Dark Sun novels about a decade later, during the 4th edition release of Dark Sun. I didn't think they were as good though.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #602 on: 22 May 2019, 00:09:04 »
Feeding Nelson's Navy, by Janet McDonald.

I cannot recommend this book strongly enough for anybody the least interested in the Napoleonic wars and late 18th century military feeding. Superbly written page turner conjured out of painstaking research into countless ships' logs and contemporary letters and even some experimental research. Several long-held and oft-repeated "facts" about vermin, Vitamin C and la vie d'un chef cuisinier de Royal Navy are blasted away most convincingly in the process, enlivened by a scattering of anecdotes here and there.

5/5 this one's a keeper.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #603 on: 22 May 2019, 05:33:54 »
Historical: Brush Wars.

I like the classroom style of the Ronin War part. I was more interested in FWL conflicts (Andurien crisis and Anton's revolt), but found them to be quite boring once I started reading them. the style drags compared to the Ronin Wars, specially the Andurien crisis.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2019, 05:36:42 by Elmoth »

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #604 on: 22 May 2019, 11:10:52 »
The Magicians, Lev Grossman.   

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #605 on: 26 May 2019, 05:53:06 »
The Star Kings by Edmond Hamilton.  This is a collection of short-stories written by Ed during from 1930s to 1946. I bought my copy strangely to me on Google Play for a dollar.
It was nice time killer at work, its old fashion pub-science fiction.  Which is fine with me, i tend to be retro in my tastes.  The book i read has his collection of stories expanding 2 thousands years.  I wish there were more, though he did write Interstellar Patrol and Captain Future.  Which later apparently had adaption to a anime i need check out.

Edmond Hamilton was also married to Leigh Brackett a science fiction writer in her own right, which she wrote early version draft of Empire Strikes Back which wasn't used.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2019, 19:17:24 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #606 on: 26 May 2019, 20:47:00 »
Ted Chiang "Exhalation" short story collection. He wrote the short story "Story of Your Life", which the movie "Arrival" was based on.

Chiang's stories tend to feature people's ideals or beliefs getting challenged or thrown out of whack by scientific discoveries. That continues to be a strong theme in the new collection. The title story, for example, is about a race of automatons dealing with the knowledge of the inevitable closure of their universe. How do you go on living when you know the world is destined for destruction? In another, on an alternate Earth where humanity has found objective scientific proof that the universe was created by a god (nothing older than 8,000 years old exists) they then have to confront the fact that their planet is moving with respect to background radiation--meaning their planet is not the center of creation.

Generally, the collection is up there with his previous work, remaining both touching and thought-provoking. Only two criticisms really.

First, the longest story in the collection, "The Lifecycle of Software Objects," is also the dullest and most meandering and could probably have delivered the same punch in a quarter of the length.

Second, I'd already read many of the stories as they're available online from various sites. I'd already read both "Exhalation" and "The Lifecycle of Software Objects" and one other story, so the $20+ price tag for the Kindle edition felt a bit steep. They're good stories, but maybe wait for this one to go on sale?
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #607 on: 29 May 2019, 15:55:41 »
Ted Chiang "Exhalation" short story collection.

I checked it out on your recommendation. Reminds me of the good old Asimov short collections.

Decent overall, great writing, highly enjoyable, won't re-read; 7/10.

Alchemist's Gate - Well-deserving of its awards. I'm a sucker for time travel stories where you can't change the past.

Exhalation - Brain auto-surgery gave me the jeebies but otherwise, eh. (Yet) another spin on the ol' "by the time you read this, our civilisation will be dead".

What's Expected - Great concept, dumb punchline.

Lifecycle of Software - Admittedly when it comes to fiction I am a humanist through and through; I have no truck nor patience for "what if AI is living" genre. No it's not, get over it. So yes, it was a pain to read through this ode to Tamagotchi. Fans of the genre should find it very well written though.

Patent Nanny - I've always felt museum exhibits should be accompanied by not less than 500 words telling the (hi)story of the item. As a child I spent dozens of hours in museums reading every single info card thoroughly (thanks Pa for putting up with it). If only they were all as interesting.

Truth of Fact - Bad parenting doesn't get any better, it just swings the other way. Analogy is heavy-handed.

Great Silence - So long and thanks for all the crackers.

Omphalos - The ending revelation is indeed, well, revelatory for the main character; but the trouble is... it's the status quo for us in our universe. Ever since Copernicus this is where we are. So where is the great lesson here?

Anxety is the Dizziness - Someone clearly saved the best for last. The concept and "science" behind it was cool. Ending pulls no punches about the morality of man, and I like that. Does that make me a horrible human being I wonder?
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 15:57:59 by Kidd »

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #608 on: 29 May 2019, 22:12:04 »
I checked it out on your recommendation. Reminds me of the good old Asimov short collections.

Decent overall, great writing, highly enjoyable, won't re-read; 7/10.
Hey, awesome! Liked your comments Kidd, especially the bit about museum exhibits. Like you, I also thought the last story was the best, though I think it and Omphalos are the only two that are actually new for the collection, with the rest reprints from elsewhere.

With Omphalos, I guess the difference is humanity in the story has clear, scientific proof of God's (or a small-g-god's) existence, but no proof He/She/It actually has anything planned for them. Would that alter the nature of belief? For the main character the answer is ultimately 'No', i.e. the status quo, but I guess the author's message for us in our post-Copernicus universe is "Regardless of whether God/gods exist or not, it's still going to be up to you to find the meaning of your life." 
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #609 on: 01 July 2019, 16:34:53 »
Internet has been down at my house for a week, so going back through a pile of unread used books.

Red Phoenix, Larry Bond, 1989.  A second Korean War set in 1989.  Tries to be a little to Clancy (Bond was a collaborator on Red Storm Rising, so understandable) on some of the political end of things, but the "military technothriller" end of things holds up pretty well.  But he is even worse than Clancy when it comes to non-military human interaction.  There is a love story that is not only unnecessary but really poorly written.  Their dialog is bad.  But skip those (pretty easy) and it makes a nice diversion.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #610 on: 01 July 2019, 18:50:26 »
As bad as Clancy was, he was the best of the crop - kind of like a Roland Emmerich in a field of Michael Bays. I haven't found anyone else to scratch the ol' military techno-thriller itch since.

Digging through my storeroom I found Beau Geste, which I had not picked up since my age was double digits. God P.C. Wren is so bloody pointlessly depressing.

Black Omega

• Sergeant
« Reply #611 on: 01 July 2019, 20:12:50 »
Going back to the classics.  Started Moby Dick and got 1/3 through and had to put it down for a while.  Now to War of the Worlds
"Old age and treachery will beat youth and beauty every time."

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #612 on: 09 July 2019, 20:03:09 »
Reading through the Mad Amos collection from Alan Dean Foster for my 5 year old. Thinking that Vincent D'Onofrio would make a good Mad Amos if they ever put any of the stories as part of a TV anthology series.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #613 on: 09 July 2019, 21:53:16 »
Read Grendel by John Gardner. It's a retelling of the Beowulf myth from Grendel's point of view, only using it as the basis to explore modern philosophical viewpoints. I'll sketch the evolution, as the plot obviously isn't a spoiler, and the point of the book is the mental journey Grendel goes on:

Grendel starts off with only animals for company, and realizes he's the only intelligent thing around, so comes to a kind of solipsistic/nihilist view: Nothing means anything. He meets the dragon from the Beowulf tale, who further tries to convince Grendel of a dumb, mechanistic universe, where everything is determined by cause and effect, nothing more.

Then he meets humans, and at first he hates them for their boasting and pretensions to grander things, but is drawn to their stories about God and heroes, which almost make him believe in an order and purpose to the universe.

He tries to join them, but is attacked as a monster, so he decides he and the humans can give one another meaning: He can be the monster the humans see themselves as opposing or better than, the monster that inspires them to make the heroism of their stories a reality.

This backfires though when Beowulf arrives, who is physically a hero but who doesn't believe in heroism -- merely in might makes right, the same kind of nihilism Grendel is trying to escape.

It's an engagingly written book, with many great turns of phrase ("I create the whole universe, blink by blink"), though the language is very modern, which might throw some people expecting a more 'fantasy' style. The dragon, for example, tries to tell Grendel about molecules. For video game fans, I strongly suspect the style heavily influenced Bungie's fluff for the game 'Destiny' -- it has that same mix of academic terminology and magic.

It's also a quick read, at under 200 pages, so it's something you can go back to again and try to puzzle through for meaning of your own.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #614 on: 09 July 2019, 21:58:02 »
Reading through the Mad Amos collection from Alan Dean Foster for my 5 year old. Thinking that Vincent D'Onofrio would make a good Mad Amos if they ever put any of the stories as part of a TV anthology series.

I don't know.  If Robbie Coltrane could do an American accent, I think he pulls off the big, hairy, weathered look better.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #615 on: 10 July 2019, 07:45:52 »
I don't know.  If Robbie Coltrane could do an American accent, I think he pulls off the big, hairy, weathered look better.

I just remember Vincent from playing his part in the horrible Magnificent Seven remake and figure that he might do a good job.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #616 on: 10 July 2019, 10:01:41 »
I remember that I've seen that movie, but I don't remember anything about it. :P

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #617 on: 10 July 2019, 18:00:05 »
I quite liked it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #618 on: 10 July 2019, 18:03:22 »
It wasn't as good as the original, no, but "horrible"?  I don't think so...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #619 on: 12 July 2019, 13:51:57 »
Uncompromising Honor by David Weber.  The long delayed end of the main story of his Honorverse has come to a close.  I weirdly bought the book (for me) on Google Books for less 10 bucks.  Which was good deal, though i haven't gotten used reading like that.

About the book: For storied and awaited end, i though it was disappointing.  I was hoping he would do epic fleet actions using less-than high-advanced technology after the sneak attack on Manticore. However, that's not what we got. What was written was a story about Honor's life getting dark, Mesa doing it's dirty tricks and a lot of Solarian League going down the crapper, with it's hidden leadership finally answering for crimes against the League.  I like balanced story, these later years been hit in miss with Weber's main stories. This one was not as good to me.  I'm fleet action sort guy, the hyper superiority of the Grand Alliance (Republic + Manticore) made it REALLY a disappointing read.  There was some action but, a lot of it was very lopsided. There was a lot intrigue going on in the story which was fine, but Mesa part of it felt...undone and bit missing somethings.  Then things they did to Honor to get her finish the conflict well and the plot, while these parts were good writing but he used to me tiring methods getting us to the story's finish line.  The way he ended it as well felt like that said in so many words "I'm DONE!" and that's that.   Supposedly now the spin series is done, I'm not sure if the universe will be same.  Frankly the old "stop point" for Honor's story "End Game" and springing off to Honor's children would been very much better ending.  He's really wrote him into a self a corner, with extensive technology achievements and listening to people cry about main character's original destiny of being bumped off like Admiral Horatio Nelson was not right.  There are lose ends to allow continuation, but Mr. Weber needs change things up more. 

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #620 on: 12 July 2019, 17:23:43 »
I found that Weber had a bad habit of going "and by the way, here are some gratuitous political views" in the Honorverse that got in the way of the story.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #621 on: 12 July 2019, 17:55:08 »
The only thing ever worth slogging through miles of infodump was the fleet battles, and when that stopped... well I couldn't care less.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #622 on: 12 July 2019, 18:16:26 »
I completely agree.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #623 on: 12 July 2019, 21:39:52 »
The first two novels were absolutely top notch. This last one was about as bad as a Stackpole story full of "and it just so happens that..."
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #624 on: 13 July 2019, 04:33:16 »
Crimson Skies: Rogue Flyer right now. I need to try and find the rest of these novels too.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #625 on: 13 July 2019, 20:08:28 »
The first two novels were absolutely top notch. This last one was about as bad as a Stackpole story full of "and it just so happens that..."

I gave up on the Honorverse after At All Costs, having been switching between frustrated and enjoying the books for a bit before that. Anything that focused on life on a ship and small-scale, detailed action (like the first two books, and Honor Among Enemies especially) I really liked, but as the scale of the action grew the naval sequences descended into "Side A fired 8,000 missiled with a velocity of 240,000 km/h, which overtook the enemy fleet 8 minuted after launch.", and the battles were mostly one-sided with an ambush or the losing side underestimating the enemy.  Combined with increasingly infantile political narration - the High Ridge government on Manticore and Pierre's cabal on Haven were cartoony villains rather than powerful and interesting enemies - I found I wasn't enjoying them at all.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #626 on: 14 July 2019, 07:10:41 »
Honor of the Queen and Honor Among Enemies are my two top favorites.

Currently reading through the Greybooks of Admiral Nimitz (his official journals written during the war). They have been scanned into PDF and are available as free downloads.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #627 on: 15 July 2019, 12:52:34 »
I'm a little over half way thought Tiamat's Wrath, the latest book in The Expanse series.  If they're setting up what I think they're setting up....hoo boy is the second half going to be interesting.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #628 on: 15 July 2019, 17:01:31 »
Yeah, Tiamat's Wrath goes a little... weird.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #629 on: 15 July 2019, 17:07:19 »
Yeah, Tiamat's Wrath goes a little... weird.

But also awesome.

I'm currently reading River of Stars, by Guy Gavriel Kay. Alt history/dimension take on feudal China that ties into his larger tapestry.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Register