Author Topic: HBS Battletech Discussion Thread (there may be spoilers)  (Read 169946 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: HBS Battletech Discussion Thread (there may be spoilers)
« Reply #1140 on: 23 June 2018, 15:39:34 »
I've noticed that the ronin pilots end up with more pay than your original personnel at the same skill level.  Not sure I'll bother with them the second time through.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1141 on: 23 June 2018, 17:04:13 »
Does anyone have Screenshots of the "generic" Marik or Davion colour schemes?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
« Reply #1142 on: 23 June 2018, 18:46:14 »
So with the decision, I am now looking for the next expansion that brings in Crusaders, Archers, Warhammers, Marauders and Phoenix Hawks.

The Warhammer is still in the files, and can be added via a mod. However, the textures look bland and flat, since it is from way back in the closed beta.
Here's the link to the reddit thread, which starts with a screenshot of all 4 variants:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleTechMods/comments/81lx9n/warhamer_mod/

As for myself, I can't wait for the Warhammer, Archer and Phoenix Hawk to become available in the game. The Archer especially is a Mech that fills a role that is currently missing... that of a non-modified missile support heavy Mech. Modifying my Mech's too much, like turning an Orion into a 2xLRM20 carrier that lacks an autocannon... that's just something I really don't like to do.

« Last Edit: 23 June 2018, 19:29:19 by SD501st »

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1143 on: 23 June 2018, 19:10:33 »
I'm pretty happy with my second run through and the patch. 4 Large Lasers in a Jagermech and enough heatsinks not to care.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1144 on: 23 June 2018, 19:14:00 »
I asked this down in the Technical Thread but nobody seems to be reading that.  Anyway, does the patch do anything to ongoing campaigns?

SD501st

• Sergeant
« Reply #1145 on: 23 June 2018, 19:30:10 »
I asked this down in the Technical Thread but nobody seems to be reading that.  Anyway, does the patch do anything to ongoing campaigns?
Nothing that I noticed so far, except for improving the experience and making the skull rating more reliable.  ;)

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1146 on: 23 June 2018, 20:42:08 »
I'm loving the new events from the patch as well. Pretty sure my crew was getting tired of the Triple F burgers.
I was rolling my eyes when that event came up a second time.  Thank goodness the burgers came out okay that time....
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1147 on: 24 June 2018, 18:27:39 »
Does anyone have Screenshots of the "generic" Marik or Davion colour schemes?

It's got a lowland dusk filter on it - kinda hard to control those, but I have a Marik WVR-6R for you:

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198019641988/screenshots/#scrollTop=0

And some Skyrim shenanigans (half of Whiterun mesmerised by a virtually naked dead elf), but I hope that helps somewhat, at least.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1148 on: 24 June 2018, 19:51:04 »
Finally picked up the third part of a Grasshopper... then the first battle it was in, two PPCs to the head later, one dead original pilot... RIP Medusa.  xp

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1149 on: 25 June 2018, 01:18:26 »
It's got a lowland dusk filter on it - kinda hard to control those, but I have a Marik WVR-6R for you:

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198019641988/screenshots/#scrollTop=0

And some Skyrim shenanigans (half of Whiterun mesmerised by a virtually naked dead elf), but I hope that helps somewhat, at least.

A bit, thanks

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1150 on: 25 June 2018, 01:31:27 »
Finally picked up the third part of a Grasshopper... then the first battle it was in, two PPCs to the head later, one dead original pilot... RIP Medusa.  xp

My grasshopper has to be cursed - three pilots have died in it so far
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1151 on: 25 June 2018, 05:45:49 »
Unless I'm mistaken, that's at least three of us then... I think only my main character will be piloting that thing going forward.  Medusa was one skill point shy of 10/10/10/10 for me, but at least that means my monthly expenses will be down a bit.  :-\

Hideyori

• Private
« Reply #1152 on: 25 June 2018, 07:46:33 »
So is it horrible luck or do the bad guys seem to score a lot more heads shots than me?   Am I missing something?  Just had a simple 1.5 Atlas mission where my Centurion took two shots to the head in one turn....

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1153 on: 25 June 2018, 07:49:36 »
At the very least, I can say I remember more head hits on me than I scored on the AI...

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1154 on: 25 June 2018, 09:30:02 »
Not very useful for those running the legitimate retail build.  This mod only works with the now unavailable beta version at best.

Addendum

Even leaving the textures in would be exactly like the Hot Coffee incident and invite even more trouble that the case did not need.

The Warhammer is still in the files, and can be added via a mod. However, the textures look bland and flat, since it is from way back in the closed beta.
Here's the link to the reddit thread, which starts with a screenshot of all 4 variants:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleTechMods/comments/81lx9n/warhamer_mod/

As for myself, I can't wait for the Warhammer, Archer and Phoenix Hawk to become available in the game. The Archer especially is a Mech that fills a role that is currently missing... that of a non-modified missile support heavy Mech. Modifying my Mech's too much, like turning an Orion into a 2xLRM20 carrier that lacks an autocannon... that's just something I really don't like to do.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2018, 11:39:13 by Luciora »

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1155 on: 25 June 2018, 14:36:03 »
A bit, thanks

I'll try to get some more in more "photogenic" environments as well.  (Edit: I got one in lowland night, near a lit-up settlement.  I think it looks pretty nice:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1422956257
« Last Edit: 26 June 2018, 01:37:59 by Sandslice »

SD501st

• Sergeant
« Reply #1156 on: 26 June 2018, 01:36:33 »
So is it horrible luck or do the bad guys seem to score a lot more heads shots than me?   Am I missing something?  Just had a simple 1.5 Atlas mission where my Centurion took two shots to the head in one turn....
I haven't noticed more dealt against my forces than against enemy forces at all, rather the opposite. I've got two Mechwarriors that seem unrasonable lucky with headshots. One is Knife, a veteran with the "Flanker" build(Multi-Target, Evasive Movement, Ace Pilot) piloting my Grasshopper(1xLL, 1xSRM4, 4xML, 4x SL) who deals out at least 1 headshot for every two missions, often many more. There's also one of my "Junior" Mechwarriors, Bearclaw with the Brawler build(currently Evasive Movement and Bulwark, going for Juggernaut), who has been assigned a Hunchback 4G and seems to also be on his way to being a head sniper. He headshotted BOTH enemy Orions(Orions seem to be the most common heavy Mech of the Directorate) on his last mission, and a Thud on the mission before that... with the AC-20 of course! Although both of these Mechwarrios also got dealt a wound not too long ago. I make heavy use of cockpit mods for my damage soakers however,except when the head slot is blocked by a canon weapon mount... maybe that's the difference.

The one Mech that seems to attract headshots is whichever Mech my main character pilots... he's a "Striker", Multi-Target, Sensor Lock, Master Tactician and nowadays pilots the LosTech Highlander. Before, he used a modified Battlemaster, but that one suited Behemoth's "Brawler" build much better, so they switched Mech's.

He usually gets one wound on 2 out 3 of his missions. On the last one I did so far, I went in with him in the Highlander, Behemoth in the Battlemaster, Scorch(Lancer) in a Catapult C1 and Knife in the Grasshoper. That mission, which was a 4 1/2 Deaths Head mission, turned out to be against a full Assault Lance(Awesome 8Q, Battlemaster, Banshee, Victor) + reinforcements in the form of 2 Shreks, a Demolisher, a Manticore and a SRM Carrier! The Highlander lost it's entire left side to an ammo explosion including an LRM20++, an SRM6++ and 3 double heatsinks, after the enemy AI concentrated fire on it at every opportunity.

The Highlander is now carrying a long ranged loadout of a Gauss Rifle, 2 Large Lasers, an LRM 10 and an LRM 5 instead because paired with my char it seems to attract incoming fire out of all proportion. That one mission really hurt, and I only managed to win by using the rather broken terrain and positioning to keep the enemy Mech's split in 2 pairs and the reinforcing vehicles mostly out of firing position but close enough to rush/jump into melee. Well, at least the Highlander still has the Gauss Rifle. xD

Before this, there was only one other mission where I had trouble, but there I went in with my "C Team" in medium Mech's, took out the main enemy mixed lance(Griffin 1S, Jagermech 6S, Demolisher, Shreck) and then retreated in good faith after the 4 enemy reinforcement Mech's slowly crept closer, slowed by woods and a steep hillside... they were all 4/6 or slower based on how their sensor blips moved, and only one  of them was firing LRM's indirectly, so most likely heavies with strong direct fire weapons. Not something a Medium Lance with regular pilots and only one heavy skirmisher backing them up would be able to deal with, especially not after already having sustained moderate battle damage.

Not very useful for those running the legitimate retail build.  This mod only works with the now unavailable beta version at best.

Addendum

Even leaving the textures in would be exactly like the Hot Coffee incident and invite even more trouble that the case did not need.

Mhm, you're right... the mod doesn't work with the retail build. However, my point was more that most of the asset work for the Warhammer is already done, so we can expect at least one of the originals soon.  :)
« Last Edit: 26 June 2018, 04:21:05 by SD501st »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1157 on: 26 June 2018, 16:17:51 »
I think some things are way more variable . . . I only lost a single pilot my first time through . . . second time?  I have lost 3 and have only been to mission #2 of the campaign- after that I wandered towards the League.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1158 on: 26 June 2018, 16:25:06 »
I thought the patch was supposed to have a setting that could change the lethality of pilot damage?  ???

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1159 on: 26 June 2018, 16:31:10 »
I thought the patch was supposed to have a setting that could change the lethality of pilot damage?  ???

It's a binary setting, Lethality.  If turned on, your pilots die if incapcitated by any means.

SD501st

• Sergeant
« Reply #1160 on: 27 June 2018, 02:19:26 »
So, according to the time counter, I've just hit week 950 in my campaign... that's 17 years, so it's now 3042. Why is the Capellan Confederation still the same shape as before?  :D

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1161 on: 27 June 2018, 03:14:37 »
Finished my first play through.  Mad at Victoria though,  took out my pristine King Crab with a lucky headshot on the 3rd turn.  Two turns later though she was cored out by a very vengeful lancemate.  A stalker with 2 ppcs,2 meds and 4 srm6s tend to take things down fast.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1162 on: 27 June 2018, 05:58:08 »
I'll try to get some more in more "photogenic" environments as well.  (Edit: I got one in lowland night, near a lit-up settlement.  I think it looks pretty nice:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1422956257

Thanks so much for that!

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1163 on: 27 June 2018, 18:27:08 »
Wow  I get 2 pristine mechs head shots ( a king crab and a  Stalker ) in the same mission but can't salvage either chassis fully cause I only had a 2/10 pick chose the crab  and I got 2/3 kin crab 2/3 stalker and 1 ppc and ac 20 with the rest in heat sinks lol 

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1164 on: 27 June 2018, 19:23:57 »
Yeah, I managed to kill a Black Knight and two Quickdraws last night.  I went in with a 2/8 salvage ratio and received 3/3 on the Black Knight and 5/6 on the Quickdraws.  I confirmed 2/3 on the Black Knight and pulled a Quickdraw third naturally.

I was chatting with a co-worker today and we both agreed that the salvage system would have made more sense to us if you could have pulled core 'Mech portions from any variant but you need specific variant parts to generate the final version.  For example, a player can salvage either type of Catapult and can even assemble a 'Mech that has a LRM-15 and a PPC but neither achieve the preferred role of the variant.  Also, it might feel a bit more like the Periphery.  In short, make the puzzle of assembling a specific variant tied to the arms/flank torso vice the entire 'Mech.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1165 on: 27 June 2018, 20:07:44 »
The 1.1 patch kind of addresses salvage, at the start of a campaign you can get an empty chassis that needs parts or the complete mech.  But you can't choose the variant.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1166 on: 27 June 2018, 21:01:59 »
The 1.1 patch kind of addresses salvage, at the start of a campaign you can get an empty chassis that needs parts or the complete mech.  But you can't choose the variant.
In my office, our discussion started with how poorly thought out we believed that portion of the patch was.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1167 on: 27 June 2018, 21:03:18 »
Given how much trouble I had getting the game going in the first place, I'm going to hold off on the patch until my second play through...

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1168 on: 29 June 2018, 15:36:42 »
still ob first round and so far up to now a 95,90, and 2 *80 ton mechs.  with 3 pilots almost or at 10in all skills. , I keep myself in the heaviest mech I like and always max all the armor out then build around that.  and since I can't find a replacement guass rifle I went to ac 20  and some extra heat sinks.  I wish I could go back to  a high level world and buy some mechs. lol between he fully repair argo and my stock of parts, could run a nice business lol

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1169 on: 29 June 2018, 19:41:15 »
The Trylon mission has crashed on me three times now...  xp

Did it give anyone else that kind of trouble?  It seems there maybe more enemy activity than my feeble processor can handle.