Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: Shattered Fortress  (Read 84591 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: NEW RELEASE: Shattered Fortress
« Reply #420 on: 10 August 2018, 19:24:54 »
I'm somewhat less than excited to see the Rim Collection toss away its identity so quickly; I can't help but feel that forming the "Timbuktu Collective" with a bunch of ex-Lyran planets - albeit ones which had once been part of the old Rim Worlds Republic - is the kind of thing which may bode ill for the old Collection worlds in the not too distant future.

It might be a matter of practicality. Timbuktu by itself has a population of nearly half a billion. There might simply be too many lyrans and not enough collection... collector... collectionists? to justify keeping the old name.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #421 on: 10 August 2018, 19:53:49 »
It might be a matter of practicality. Timbuktu by itself has a population of nearly half a billion. There might simply be too many lyrans and not enough collection... collector... collectionists? to justify keeping the old name.
:thumbsup:
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

RotS fan

• Master Sergeant
  • Ad securitas per unitas
« Reply #422 on: 10 August 2018, 22:11:31 »
The current published/revealed information about what's after Shattered Fortress are:
- Surrender Your Dreams epilogue
- the GenCon diorama showing the Republic and Clan Wolf fighting in Unity City. There's the old ilClan cover that shows Alaric versus Devlin too
- text snippets from TRO Succession Wars and Second Succession Wars that are from 3250

Do we know what is still canon and what is not?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #423 on: 10 August 2018, 22:17:19 »
The 3250 snippets are canon as confirmed by cubby in another thread months back

Fairly certain the surrender your dreams epilogue has been officially not canon for a while now

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #424 on: 11 August 2018, 02:17:51 »
The 3250 snippets are canon as confirmed by cubby in another thread months back

Fairly certain the surrender your dreams epilogue has been officially not canon for a while now
IIRC, i mentioned that epilogue once and answer was "it doesn't contradict anything". After all, the Republic was always gonna fall as i understand it.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #425 on: 11 August 2018, 08:56:05 »

Interesting compared to the overlay map for EA, Timbuktu is part of the Rim Federation.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #426 on: 11 August 2018, 15:26:26 »
According to the traditions of the Third RCT, as of 1 APR 3145, all mortal remains of fallen Eridani Light Horse Troopers will remain interred on Hesperus II, forthwith, and for all time, posthumous members of the Star League Defense Force.

Sound retreat.
« Last Edit: 11 August 2018, 16:08:58 by Easy »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #427 on: 11 August 2018, 19:11:54 »
Interesting compared to the overlay map for EA, Timbuktu is part of the Rim Federation.
Federation? You mean Collective or defunct Rim World League, right?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #428 on: 11 August 2018, 20:15:16 »
Federation? You mean Collective or defunct Rim World League, right?

No, I was referring the the Rim Federation from Empires Aflame.  Just interesting where the maps match up.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #429 on: 14 August 2018, 11:46:25 »
Something has been bugging me about this book, and I haven't been able to figure out what until last night. It was the difficulty in keeping track of where everyone ended up. In FM:3145, there were those nice maps with the locations of the major military commands, and there were the tables in each faction section that had the basics of rating, strength, and quality. I found those to be really useful, but the FM's are a bit different than this book. However, I went to look at the 1SW and 2SW books to see if maybe they were the same way, since the format of Shattered Fortress reminded me a whole lot of those two books. Sure enough, both of those books and a couple pages of tables at the end with the same sort of basic deployment info as things stood at the end of the book. No pretty maps this time, but there was still the condensed info of the unit, where they were, Quality/Loyalty, strength, and equipment rating. In Shattered Fortress, this information only seems to exist in the fiction text and, partially, in the campaign maps. There is no condensed crunch table of "ok, here is where everyone ended up and what they look like at the moment." There was, at least, that sort of info included for the new combat commands that were added, but that's it.

Is this a huge omission? Not really. I can figure most of the important stuff like who got blowed up, and where did people end up at the end of 3150, it just isn't easily accessible like it was in some of the previous books. I would have appreciated a deployment table section like 1SW and 2SW had. The Maps in FM:3145 were really nice, but they required the rest of the crunch info to be put elsewhere, so I understand switching to the table format used in 1SW and 2SW. I'm sure creating those tables is more than just copy/pasting data from a spreadsheet, but I would have really appreciated that information. If you could add it back into IlClan, I think it would be worthwhile. Maybe do a before/after style like the Succession Wars books use with 3150 and 31-whatever-the-end-of-IlCLan-is. That way we can have access to the condensed info that wasn't included in Shattered Fortress as well as at the end of IlClan. That may not work so well, depending on the events of IlClan, but I'll take what I can get.

Anyone else miss the condensed deployment tables, or is it just me?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #430 on: 14 August 2018, 12:20:13 »
I did miss them yes, especially for units not mentioned in the text. Did they move? Are the Ravens up to something? Did no less than fifty combat commands pull the ole Slipped in the Shower™️ disappearing act?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #431 on: 14 August 2018, 12:54:15 »
I was assuming those "crunch tables" mentioned by sadlerbw were going to be in the end of ilClan.  Probably unwise to assume things, but since this project was split into the old fashioned "to be continued" serial format, it makes sense for no crunch table to be in Shattered Fortress.

That being said, I was a fan of the format of FM:3145, and the two Succession Wars sourcebooks.  So I'm really hoping for those full color pages with forces included in the ilClan sourcebook. 

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #432 on: 14 August 2018, 12:58:46 »
I did miss them yes, especially for units not mentioned in the text. Did they move? Are the Ravens up to something? Did no less than fifty combat commands pull the ole Slipped in the Shower™️ disappearing act?

Something could always come out of left field, but Shattered Fortress omitting the Ravens probably means the Ravens just have their hands full managing the worlds they already took pre 3145.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #433 on: 14 August 2018, 13:51:57 »
Its very un-clanlike to not dogpile onto your neighbors should they prove too weak to prevent you from doing so. However, maybe the OA residents finally got the Ravens all hooked on the peacenik space-weed that makes everyone out there so friendly and averse to armed conflict...or maybe you are right and they still haven't figured out how to play nice with the sphereoids, but aren't willing to utterly murder the whole planet to get compliance like some other avian-themed clans might.

I think the deployment tables are the bigger omission. Despite my soft spot for clan 'Wait, wasn't our bird supposed to be white? Why did we paint it black in our logo?', I'm willing to accept they may just have laid low being sneaky, or had enough on their hands to stop munching on the Periphery March. Keeping track of everyone else who DID do stuff is more problematic for me.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #434 on: 14 August 2018, 13:58:12 »

Maybe everything interesting about the Outworlds Alliance is happening spinward and not immediately connected to the fate of Terra and the Republic of the Sphere.

Maybe they are embarked on a colonization agenda and are out there settling strange new worlds.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #435 on: 14 August 2018, 14:17:31 »
The deployment tables in FM 3145 apply. The SW books do not have corresponding Field Manuals, so the tables were included there.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #436 on: 14 August 2018, 14:38:06 »
If anyone has any errata on this book, please report it today.  Thanks.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #437 on: 14 August 2018, 14:42:16 »

In this thread?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #438 on: 14 August 2018, 14:45:00 »
In the errata thread.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #439 on: 14 August 2018, 14:56:02 »
In the errata thread.

How appropriate....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #440 on: 14 August 2018, 15:16:16 »
The deployment tables in FM 3145 apply. The SW books do not have corresponding Field Manuals, so the tables were included there.

Good to know

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #441 on: 14 August 2018, 16:19:07 »
You've got one.  What happens if it is reported tomorrow?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #442 on: 14 August 2018, 16:20:52 »
You've got one.  What happens if it is reported tomorrow?
i will go to print without it.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #443 on: 14 August 2018, 16:23:26 »
Yeah, I'll never be that specific without good cause.  A deadline is a deadline.

Thanks for the report.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #444 on: 14 August 2018, 16:53:53 »
Given the dissolution of the RSMC, I'd love to know which Regulan Hussars regiments survived and which were disbanded
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #445 on: 15 August 2018, 04:54:16 »
Regulus has space marines now? (Sorry, what I got out of my first attempt to figure out what RSMC meant)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #446 on: 15 August 2018, 06:22:54 »
I always pictured the Regulan Hussars or at least the First Regulans as tough bunch of soldiers.  Maybe i'm lookin at this with rose-colored glasses , via Rolling Thunder. Who were like the McKinnon Raiders/Fox's Teeth who were rough and tumble and shade of CRAZY  :D that got Wolf's Dragoons respect back in the day.   I hope they survived, to least get another band of Rolling Thunder for another swing.

Personally, i'd be happys see independent product with them dealing with new big problem the League is facing.  Ever expanding Audurian/MoC border which i think will lead into a enlarged Confederation.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #447 on: 15 August 2018, 10:35:59 »

I put in what I had, but I didn't start writing my notes down until after I got back from GenCon, so I only had them for maybe 40% of the book. This may sound stupid, but I didn't have a pencil with me at the time, and while I don't mind marking up my own copies of books, I do prefer not to do it with pen! If I'd known more than a day ahead of time that there was a deadline, I might have been able to go back through more of the book.

EDIT: Blah! Forgot what thread I was in. Ignore what I had here!
« Last Edit: 15 August 2018, 16:28:07 by sadlerbw »

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #448 on: 15 August 2018, 11:20:00 »
I always pictured the Regulan Hussars or at least the First Regulans as tough bunch of soldiers.  Maybe i'm lookin at this with rose-colored glasses , via Rolling Thunder. Who were like the McKinnon Raiders/Fox's Teeth who were rough and tumble and shade of CRAZY  :D that got Wolf's Dragoons respect back in the day.   I hope they survived, to least get another band of Rolling Thunder for another swing.

Personally, i'd be happys see independent product with them dealing with new big problem the League is facing.  Ever expanding Audurian/MoC border which i think will lead into a enlarged Confederation.
I feel the same.  I thought most of the "original" Regulan Hussars seem pretty colorful/badass.

Beyond the Rolling Thunder, 2nd Hussars have something called the Green Monster Assault Battalion, which conjures visions of rampaging Godzillas with energy drink sponsorships.

The 4th Hussars (The Kukri) are straight up Gurkhas with all the coolness that entails.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2018, 11:49:59 by TwinkieMonkieIIC »

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #449 on: 15 August 2018, 16:25:21 »
I am not sure if this qualifies as errata but there is a discrepancy between Shattered Fortress and TRO 3150:
According to the Castrum entry in TRO 3150 warlord Kambei Okamoto was killed during a boarding action outbound from Quentin.
According to Shattered Fortress page (66 and 100) he was killed in a climatic duel on Dieron.

Register