6 (3.1%)
Star Adders
12 (6.3%)
Wolverines
26 (13.6%)
Other (please specify)
23 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: ilClan Speculation: place your bets  (Read 41503 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: ilClan Speculation: place your bets
« Reply #90 on: 10 August 2018, 13:03:29 »
Nah, Coyotes have long been the wolf's best ally.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #91 on: 10 August 2018, 15:25:27 »
I assume it's going to be the Wolves, but hope it's the Bears.

But weren't the Bears Abjured?  I assume they can't be ilClan.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #92 on: 10 August 2018, 15:30:19 »
I don't think the Bears were abjured more than any other Clan in the Inner Sphere right now. They've all been making the rules up as they go along anyways. Whatever they're strong enough to get away with.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 10 August 2018, 18:13:48 »
 The Ravens and the Bears are deeply close allies, and both are part of the Council of Six. The Council of Six is a de facto Grand Council. In fact, it is arguably de jure.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #94 on: 10 August 2018, 18:19:03 »
Are you clan-splaining the council of six to me?  ;D We are on it you know.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 10 August 2018, 18:21:50 »
 Yes, the FWLM is so powerful that the Clans allowed a Provincial brigade into the Council of Six. ;)

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: 10 August 2018, 18:26:54 »
 Jokes aside, the Sea Fox-Free Worlds League relationship promises to make for interesting discussions. We have these wonderful Illium shipyards that could use investment, and could likewise refit arkships.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #97 on: 10 August 2018, 19:52:35 »
Jokes aside, the Sea Fox-Free Worlds League relationship promises to make for interesting discussions. We have these wonderful Illium shipyards that could use investment, and could likewise refit arkships.

So do the bears...take your sales pitch walking 😉
 I am enjoying the fwl/clan interaction, shoulda been sooner!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #98 on: 10 August 2018, 19:56:33 »

We've got the Chainelanes for that. But Spina Khanate definitely is thick as thieves with the League at this point. Which makes sense. As does buying up Comstar. The FWL is so fractured and byzantine that it's the easiest for the Sea Foxes to insinuate itself into. It's also so fractured they're the most willing to trade.

The Federated Suns are desperate enough to give up a few worlds, but they wouldn't let us vote in their government and the Lyrans are likely to be gobled up whole...

and the Draconis Combine.... Well. The Nova Cats were good trading partners and allies for three centuries. In fact, In the protectorate they still are. That one is obviously a no go.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 10 August 2018, 20:24:40 »
 Fractured, not so much. Federalism is a pillar of League politics. Like every other state, we are as pragmatic as situations necessitate. Even the Jaguars were pragmatic in universe. The Free Worlds League is a rational actor. The Clans in the League ran into the an excellent advisor to navigate League politics. This is enabling a normalization of some Clan peculiarities, without costing Free Worlders freedoms.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #100 on: 11 August 2018, 04:40:41 »
I will inform The Duchy of Andurien immediately of the not fractured state of the league...

Regulus has already beem notified after they nuked the Silentshark. They understand.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #101 on: 11 August 2018, 04:43:41 »
Also, I would point out that Clan Sea Fox is the most liberal clan and makes a habit of dealing with spheroids... it isn't as if we are not savvy.

Not that we do not appreciate Julietta's help. Though at this point she is nearly Spina's loremaster.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #102 on: 11 August 2018, 07:54:15 »
I will inform The Duchy of Andurien immediately of the not fractured state of the league...

Regulus has already beem notified after they nuked the Silentshark. They understand.

The Duchy of Andurien is weird right now. They had a world willingly turn Capellan, and they were willing to ally with the Magistracy, knowing how bad it went for them last time. They also know that the Capellans hold the cards in that relationship. The deal was a backdoor way of handing one of our most important aerospace facilities to the Confederation without saying so outright. In fact, it gives the Confederation access to descent military items in general. 

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #103 on: 11 August 2018, 08:05:19 »
Also, I would point out that Clan Sea Fox is the most liberal clan and makes a habit of dealing with spheroids... it isn't as if we are not savvy.

Not that we do not appreciate Julietta's help. Though at this point she is nearly Spina's loremaster.

She thrust the Clans in the League into greatness. Through her work, you gained legitimacy, safety, a place in government, and seats in the military command structure of the Free Worlds League Militia, whilst retaining maximum autonomy. The Wolves even fully recognize you as Clan in this deal, or so they have been demonstrating.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #104 on: 11 August 2018, 12:27:58 »
Still believe Clan Wolf, but maybe the other Clans will ignore the Wolf title saying it was a sham trial (agreement with Devlin Stone ) and a ploy worthy of the Snow Ravens or Mongoose. 
Sorry i just want war.  PEACETECH is not fun.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #105 on: 11 August 2018, 13:39:25 »
 I would argue that you need novels like Pandora's Gambit to make novels like To Ride the Chimera worthy reads. In fact, I rate Pandora's Gambit to be the best in the series of MWDA. Novels like Heir to the Dragon may have some combat, but are strongly focused towards character, and state building.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #106 on: 13 August 2018, 14:06:09 »
For the record, almost every Clan on that list was Abjured except the Star Adders, and obviously, the Wolverines.  So being abjured by the Grand Council has to be meaningless to everyone but the Star Adders, I figure.

The ilClan will show the rest where they can put their abjure votes. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #107 on: 13 August 2018, 20:11:14 »
The Duchy of Andurien is weird right now. They had a world willingly turn Capellan, and they were willing to ally with the Magistracy, knowing how bad it went for them last time. They also know that the Capellans hold the cards in that relationship. The deal was a backdoor way of handing one of our most important aerospace facilities to the Confederation without saying so outright. In fact, it gives the Confederation access to descent military items in general.

. . . no, re-read the part where Ilsa talks to Danai.  She has Daoshen under control . . . or had, for a long time.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: 13 August 2018, 20:57:21 »
 Capellans are a tricky lot, because they thrive off of one's delusion of control. That is one reason why we never turn our backs to a Capellan, though we have other prescriptions for Lyrans.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 13 August 2018, 21:14:57 »
 On the whole, a faction acting weird in canon, is no different than a faction simply acting in canon. Fans are allowed to critique it, but a valid critique will not undo the action.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #110 on: 14 August 2018, 00:43:36 »
On the whole, a faction acting weird in canon, is no different than a faction simply acting in canon. Fans are allowed to critique it, but a valid critique will not undo the action.

Faction personalities often change with the rulers of each faction.  Inner Sphere factions or Clan factions. 

I'd have to say that Clans are even more pronounced in this way.  Look at how the Bears changed with new leadership.  And they're supposed to be the steady but sure clan.  The Wolves as well have been defined by their khans. 

And the Vipers.  From Breen to Zalman to Andrews, they evolved from cautious, to grumpy and vindictive, to completely insane.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #111 on: 14 August 2018, 01:18:40 »
Faction personalities often change with the rulers of each faction.  Inner Sphere factions or Clan factions. 

I'd have to say that Clans are even more pronounced in this way.  Look at how the Bears changed with new leadership.  And they're supposed to be the steady but sure clan.  The Wolves as well have been defined by their khans. 

And the Vipers.  From Breen to Zalman to Andrews, they evolved from cautious, to grumpy and vindictive, to completely insane.

Once an insane childish Hawker took over our Clan and basically destroyed it. Crusaders banned from Leadership roles.

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #112 on: 14 August 2018, 19:06:58 »
Ya know, the younger me wants it to be the Wolf Empire, just because that's what I grew up on as it came out new. While the older, wiser, and more tactical me wants it to be the Star Adders...

I think Catalyst will throw in something from left field that has been literally right in our face the whole time. Hinted at in various books like a puzzle. Something just so strange we wouldn't have seen it without disecting every book & TRO out there.

Stone being a vat born Wolverine. Yes I know there was a fight between him & Alaric and he lost, and the thought of this is just stupid yet insane at the same time for SO many reasons.

Or something like the Fidelis say screw it, we fulfilled our promise and are taking the seat on Terra and reclaim their Smoke Jaguar identity (this could actually work considering they were supposed to be annihilated by Task Force Serpent, so they weren't abjured by the Home Worlds, therefore could be a legitimate ilClan).

Or the Wolverines or Blood Spirits themselves come out of nowhere (considering they are both supposed to be long dead) and sneak in the back door.

Just something crazy ya know?
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 14 August 2018, 19:18:01 »
 I do not think many Republic fans would care if Stone were killed by Alaric. Stone's legacy may be the Republic, but it is the Republic of the Sphere, not the Republic of Stone.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #114 on: 15 August 2018, 09:03:36 »
Yes, and while Redburn may have gone around the bend even the stopped clock can be right twice a day . . . what came out when the Fortress walls came down was not the Republic that erected the walls.  If its a good or bad thing remains to be seen, but it is a more martial society with all the 'war time infringements' on liberty that can entail- especially after the Senatorial Rebellion.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Panthros

• Sergeant
« Reply #115 on: 15 August 2018, 14:43:10 »
So the question is could an unknown Clan have visited Terra and erected the famous wall around the hegemony? Ultimately they show up at the last moment and become the ilClan.  Wouldn't that be interesting and I would guess it would have to be a Warden Clan faction which limits the options even more.  So maybe Clan Snow Raven?  Someone out of know where.

I still hope for Wolf but this would help justify the creation of the wall of the IS did not have the technology but an Clan did.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 15 August 2018, 14:55:23 »
I mean, there being an “unknown clan” would....probably break a good section of the fanbase.  I can already here the “Mary Sue” accusations flying.  Besides that, we already know that the Republic erected the Fortress.  Unless you’re suggesting that Jonah Levin has secretly been the Khan of some heretofore unknown clan all along?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #117 on: 15 August 2018, 15:59:28 »
I do not think many Republic fans would care if Stone were killed by Alaric. Stone's legacy may be the Republic, but it is the Republic of the Sphere, not the Republic of Stone.

The RotS sure seemed to be doing pretty well without Stone at the helm.

Not only is the RotS a cult of personality that collapsed without the guy, it is a cult of personality around a madman that shot his friend/follower in the back of the head so he can time jump into the future to see how stuff worked out.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #118 on: 15 August 2018, 17:35:23 »
 I would argue that it collapsed due to the blackout. It was located in the least defensible location, and the blackout made it indefensible. The small uprisings would have been snuffed out rather quickly. One thing to remember is that early in MWDA's existance, there seemed to be little to point to the existance of regular Republic troops. The original Republic faction card only spoke of Knight errants, knights and Paladins. Terra even seemingly lacked the Senate's own regiment, when the Steel Wolves invaded it. The universe developed.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2018, 08:48:46 by Minemech »

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #119 on: 15 August 2018, 22:37:31 »
Good points, and logical since the last two similarly situated states, the Terran Hegemony and Blake Protectorate also collapsed.

Playing devil's advocate however, I would point out that everyone suffered from the Blackout.  Other similarly situated states like the Lyrans and FedSuns also crippled their militaries following Stone's policies and also faced invaders on multiple fronts.  Both states found their homeworlds invaded, both states had their heads of state killed and/or deposed.  The FedSuns literally lost both their head of state and 20% of their armed forces in a week.  Both the LC and FS suffered heavier losses and continue to fight using good old fashioned steel, tactics and grit and neither had a magic wall to protect their homeworlds.  The RotS, even with the Fortress, was demoralized and facing internal strife and might have been on its way to a slow death before Stone came back.

Register