Author Topic: [WIP] Marc C's BattleTech Board  (Read 6934 times)

Marc C

• Corporal
Re: [WIP] Marc C's BattleTech Board
« Reply #30 on: 14 August 2018, 14:36:37 »
Do you put glue into the seams to smooth them out and hide where you join the pieces of cardboard?  I have been putting cardboard outside a bunch of my foam buildings, but I end up with the edges where its got the openings.

I don't. My approach is k.i.s.s. Not trying to do make everything super slick and perfect.
________________________________________________________________________________
RPG played : B/X • AD&D1e, AD&D2e, D&D3e, D&D5E • Star Frontiers • Star Wars WEG • D20 Modern • Star Wars Saga • Numenara • Ashen Stars • Coriolis the Third Horizon • Modern AGE
________________________________________________________________________________
WARGAMES played : Starfire • Cars Wars • Ogre/GEV • MechWarrior Dark Ages • 40K • Infinity • SAGA Dark Ages • Freebooters Fate • Pulp City • Dropzone Commander • Gates of Antares • BSG Space Battles

Marc C

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 15 August 2018, 13:08:22 »
The Police Station with two landing pads :

What I have so far :
RPG played : B/X • AD&D1e, AD&D2e, D&D3e, D&D5E • Star Frontiers • Star Wars WEG • D20 Modern • Star Wars Saga • Numenara • Ashen Stars • Coriolis the Third Horizon • Modern AGE
WARGAMES played : Starfire • Cars Wars • Ogre/GEV • MechWarrior Dark Ages • 40K • Infinity • SAGA Dark Ages • Freebooters Fate • Pulp City • Dropzone Commander • Gates of Antares • BSG Space Battles

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #32 on: 15 August 2018, 18:28:13 »
Excellent work!  I have to admit, the lighting almost makes them look computer generated... The lines are that clean!  :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #33 on: 16 August 2018, 00:28:49 »
Side question - did you cut the cork layers yourself, or is someone selling conveniently sized cork hexes?

I can find hex ceramic tiles in good sizes, but .. my Ghu, the weight! I did my time cutting 1/2" foam sheets up for hex maps, and always wanted a quicker way ...

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Marc C

• Corporal
« Reply #34 on: 16 August 2018, 08:17:15 »
Side question - did you cut the cork layers yourself, or is someone selling conveniently sized cork hexes?

I can find hex ceramic tiles in good sizes, but .. my Ghu, the weight! I did my time cutting 1/2" foam sheets up for hex maps, and always wanted a quicker way ...

W.

I cut them by hand with a hobby knife. I do it while watching tv sf re-runs so its less aggravating!

Marc C

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 16 August 2018, 08:18:46 »
Excellent work!  I have to admit, the lighting almost makes them look computer generated... The lines are that clean!  :thumbsup:

Thank you!
I changed the light bulbs in my hobby/gaming room for pure white DELs. I see what you are saying. Its true they almost look computer generated in the pictures.

Marc C

• Corporal
« Reply #36 on: 16 August 2018, 13:19:55 »
Today's progress on the reactor.
I found cool looking tubes in my bits box. They look like chimneys.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #37 on: 16 August 2018, 13:31:37 »
So as I look closely I can see the edges you cut . . . but that outer slope for instance, are you cutting most of the way through the cardboard and then bending it to keep it 1 piece?  Its why I asked initially about covering up the cuts b/c all your edges were smother than is exhibited in the center area where you are putting the door or whatever by your drawing.

Putting any LEDs in it?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Marc C

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 16 August 2018, 15:27:43 »
So as I look closely I can see the edges you cut . . . but that outer slope for instance, are you cutting most of the way through the cardboard and then bending it to keep it 1 piece?  Its why I asked initially about covering up the cuts b/c all your edges were smother than is exhibited in the center area where you are putting the door or whatever by your drawing.

Putting any LEDs in it?

I understand your question now. For the surfaces I don't cut through the 3 layers of the black card board. I keep 1 layer still attached then bend/fold it around the side pieces. It makes better looking edges than cutting all the pieces apart and then glueing them together again. Save time too.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2018, 15:31:42 by Marc C »

Marc C

• Corporal
« Reply #39 on: 17 August 2018, 10:01:58 »
Finished reactor :

My basic BattleTech table is ready. I can always make more elements or enlarge the board later if I need be.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #40 on: 17 August 2018, 17:02:11 »
Man, that's nice!  Wish I lived a little further north of here...

Marc C

• Corporal
« Reply #41 on: 17 August 2018, 21:12:55 »
Man, that's nice!  Wish I lived a little further north of here...

Thanks
So do I ! I would have one more opponent!