Author Topic: Phoenix, AZ - League Campaign  (Read 27661 times)

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
Re: Phoenix, AZ - League Campaign
« Reply #30 on: 23 September 2018, 11:44:11 »
That game was a lot of fun and far closer than I was expecting given the (slight) BV imbalance and the fact that I was running vehicles vs an all 'Mech force. It also felt far more "BattleTech" like given that my entire force was from my mercenary unit and once we started loosing too much combat effectiveness we pulled back rather than fight to the last man. Helluva lot of fun!

A couple of thoughts:
1. I really like the unified force, painted and faction bonuses (I don't have era bonus) because it turned the slight loss (560 SP for a new Maxim and Crew vs 509 SP gained) into a slight profit (I earned 629 SP, or 69 SP profit after I replace my transport). That said, I am a little concerned that it might become too profitable. If I'd had the unified force paint I'd have gained another 80 SP for 200 SP from bonuses. That doubles my base pay just for showing up. I get the "fluff" reason for it, I like the extra SP, I just think an eye should be kept on it.

2. Movement Sinks and infantry. Right now Joel has the sliding scale for BV vs #Units in order to prevent people from bringing a bunch of cheap infantry to act as movement sinks. Talking about it with him and Hellraiser last night after the game got me thinking. What if the restriction was for units that have 3MP or less and no transport/not carried? My thought is that slow moving units without serious long range firepower cannot really contribute to the fight, but fast infantry like VTOL or Hover, or infantry in a transport can either spot (the former) or be offloaded to create forward firebases (the latter) and contribute to the fight. Slow infantry in transports also have the disadvantage that they cannot easily retreat if the battle goes against them and would be more likely to be forced to surrender or be sacrificed to cover their 'Mech allies.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #31 on: 23 September 2018, 13:09:05 »
1.  At one point I felt the bonuses were too small actually, at least when compared to the choice limitation, but now I'm liking them combined with the base pay.
   It means that even if you have a HORRID day with dice or just get out maneuvered you can still pull off some decent SP to help compensate for destruction or un-achieved goals.
The Max bonus is 220 (80+80+40+20) which is just over 25% of the max payout in base/goals.  So its significant w/o being overpowered.

2.  This kind of goes back to how we had it before, which was "Carried Infantry Doesn't Count".
   I think his goal was to avoid making it so that bringing a bunch of mobile infantry doesn't give you automatic initiative sinks (regardless of if they are contributing).

For example.
  My Taranis are Sllooww at 1MP, but even after an Omni drops them off to contribute to the fight but are STILL a sink because there is little "tactical" movement that I can do with them.
  They are still almost always going to move first & allow my other more potent units to move later.

With his current suggestion of having some games that allow a +2 Units for "Free from Force Size Count" we would still get boosted infantry #'s w/o it making every other game a free sink for having an Omni in your force.  Basically its keeping the Omni's & MagClamp BA in check against force size bloat.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 23 September 2018, 13:18:31 »
I get that what you're saying about them still being a movement sink once they're dropped off, but I don't know if I entirely agree. You're still paying for them BV wise, you still need something that can carry them, they're actually contributing to the battle rather than just sitting by the edge of the map and not doing anything. Infantry are always going to be something of a Movement Sink given the way the rules work, this lets people actually bring infantry more frequently which allows for more "capture objective" type missions that need infantry to take and hold locations.

Also I may have "Dennis'd" the upgrade rules  >:D

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #33 on: 23 September 2018, 14:26:45 »
Glad people had fun!

Rules change discussion:
Map placement changes: I think they worked well. I think player 2 has a slight advantage, but player 1 might have an advantage for certain force mixes.
Formal rules for individual unit withdrawal: People who had questions yesterday please read the rules and see if I was clear in spelling it out, or if I need to add more text.
Base pay: Worked well.
Surrender changes: I think a reminder is necessary that once your opponent has completed all their objectives you can retire from the field with no penalty.
Change in "correction miniature" and faction bonuses: I like it. I don't think it's too much, because if you own a mini and that unit gets destroyed in game, it helps buy a new one.
Understrength bonus: Easy enough with the AAR worksheet.
Salvage vs "Hold the field": Still under discussion. I like the simplicity of objectives instead of salvage, and prefer not having the "hard feelings" of having your salvage points escape off the edge.
"Funky force theme" bonus: Too much thought.
Salvage bonus for cargo carriers: Tabled unless someone has a good idea.
MASH bonus for infantry recovery: Proposed above, not yet fleshed out.
Increased repair times for Clan/Mixed tech units: In a discussion today with Kartr_Kana about upgrades, we realized that there were many cases where converting a unit to mixed-tech was actually advantageous as the smaller (crit-space-wise) Clan equipment meant an E-grade refit could be shifted to a D-grade for the same time in the bay and less SP (as well as replacing all the energy weapons with better ones during the process). So I'm doing something, and that something is probably "all Clan/Mixed tech units have one game added to their repair time for damage." I might allow removing that penalty for a separate E-grade refit ("improve unit quality level").

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 26 September 2018, 00:18:17 »
Increased repair times for Clan/Mixed tech units: In a discussion today with Kartr_Kana about upgrades, we realized that there were many cases where converting a unit to mixed-tech was actually advantageous as the smaller (crit-space-wise) Clan equipment meant an E-grade refit could be shifted to a D-grade for the same time in the bay and less SP (as well as replacing all the energy weapons with better ones during the process). So I'm doing something, and that something is probably "all Clan/Mixed tech units have one game added to their repair time for damage." I might allow removing that penalty for a separate E-grade refit ("improve unit quality level").

This one is going to have to be explained to me because E-Grade refits affect very little in the game, (CASE,  TSM,  &  Quality Refurbishments),   so I feel like there is some confusion based on my emails w/ Kartr.

Near as I can see what he wants to do is only Class-C & doing Class-C via Clan Tech would Double the SP Cost & (effectively) the # of Games Missed.

As far as the Beam weapons being "free", its still double the SP & the MASSIVE increase in BV that means that unit is no longer in a 5 unit force as you scrap a Medium Mech (etc) to pay for the Assault going up 50% in BV costs.

Based on what he wants to do, E-Grade should never even be in the equation.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 26 September 2018, 09:32:39 »
Class E Refit (Factory): This kit lets players change the type of myomer installed, install CASE, and/or increase the unit’s Quality Rating one level. It also allows moving internal structure slots around without changing the type of structure.
In this case it was an internal structure slot moving. However, re-reading his particular case, it doesn't apply as he wanted to move armor slots. That's a D. And if it had been Endo-steel, it would have been an F (changing structure type). So we can drop the increased repair times for now (even though it does feel "right" given the fluff).

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 26 September 2018, 22:47:17 »
In this case it was an internal structure slot moving. However, re-reading his particular case, it doesn't apply as he wanted to move armor slots. That's a D. And if it had been Endo-steel, it would have been an F (changing structure type). So we can drop the increased repair times for now (even though it does feel "right" given the fluff).

Okay, that makes sense if it was IS v/s Armor.

Also, to clarify.

1.  Armor = C, not D.

2.  Per your Rules, Clan Tech already does add an Extra game.  As does any changing of tech/rules level.
Changing tech levels from Intro to Standard, from Standard to Advanced/Experimental, and from Inner Sphere to Clan (or Hybrid) adds one game to the refit time.
  I agree with this one & wasn't arguing against it, just trying to clarify the confusion.

3.  Also, the moving of IS/TSM/Armor "slots" is actually 1 grade easier than full on replacement per a question I asked 7 years ago & got answer from TPTB.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=10776.0

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 26 September 2018, 23:03:52 »
On a different rules note,  I think I found some clarification to the "salvage v/s destroyed" issue that came up last weekend.

So the rules 3.4.3 say
Any unit not Truly Destroyed (SO p175) can be Salvaged
Salvage value of a destroyed unit is 25% of purchase price
Salvage value of an immobilized/abandoned unit is 50% of purchase price if crippled,
75% if not (e.g., pilot killed without head destruction, “Crew Killed” vehicle critical).

Rules 4.1.1 say
Salvage bonus (if field held):
Choose one crippled or destroyed enemy unit still on the field;
bonus is 40% (immobile)/
20% (crippled)/
10% (destroyed) of the unit’s purchase price in SP.

I think I had 4.1.1 in my head while J.S. was reading 3.4.3 on his phone.

I am thinking the "Destroyed" in 4.1.1 is "Mission Destroyed", as is 3 engine hits.

Not Truly Destroyed (CT-Cored)

And Not Completely Destroyed (Death by Area Effect Weapons or Un-CASE'd Ammo Explosion)

At one point I know a 10% for Truly Destroyed was in there when Destroyed was 25%, but I don't see it in either of the versions I'm reading now so maybe there is another version between 3.4.3 & 4.1.1.

Am I reading it right that the 10% in 4.1.1 is just "Mission Destroyed" & you actually get 0% for Truly & Completely Destroyed?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 27 September 2018, 09:55:20 »
Yes, if the salvage bonus is in play. It wasn't for Saturday's game, and I'm still torn on it. On the one hand, it can be fun. On the other, you have longer battles (having to track shots going into units already mission-killed to check for CT destruction) and the frustration caused by surrender before significant salvage is generated.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 27 September 2018, 20:52:26 »
Ok, glad we have clarity on that one.

Hmm,  I feel your give up 1/2 of awarded SP for Surrender is more than fair to compensate for them not generating salvage.

The CT issue shouldn't be too huge since its probably not a ton of extra rolls.

Maybe the one clarification that might be needed is if the Surrender bonus is just for Victory Conditions or does that include Base Pay as well.

As long as Base Pay is included in that then I would say the trade off for "Surrender" v/s "Salvage" for any given game is probably good enough.

I'd keep Salvage now at your lesser amounts & know that if they retreat early then at least some SP is still rewarded.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 27 September 2018, 22:00:43 »
Hmm,  I feel your give up 1/2 of awarded SP for Surrender is more than fair to compensate for them not generating salvage.
But remember, they can surrender without that penalty if their opponent has achieved all available victory conditions. Now with "destroy X enemy units" as conditions there will probably be something to salvage, but that's not always going to be the case.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 27 September 2018, 22:21:00 »
But remember, they can surrender without that penalty if their opponent has achieved all available victory conditions. Now with "destroy X enemy units" as conditions there will probably be something to salvage, but that's not always going to be the case.

True, but if you've already got Base & 2 Conditions locked up then your doing OK for SP earned so missing out on salvage sometimes isn't a huge issue.

Salvage shouldn't be a guarantee.   It should depend on Mission, Tactics, & Dice Luck.   Sometimes they line up, sometimes they don't.

I forgot there was no salvage last game, but, normally taking out the Hover that I did for a full Kill isn't what you want to do since its free SP, but the dang thing wasn't getting abandoned & was smack dab in the middle of my forces tossing SRMs at things w/ exposed XL's & Ammo.   
I was thinking I'd loose out on SP for it but it was better than letting it stay alive & take out my 70 ton gunboat mech. 
Not quite the same as retreating but I still made a choice that would have cost me SP normally. 
And it was solid Salvage being only Immobile & L2 Tech.  (500 * .40 = 200)

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 30 September 2018, 16:09:51 »
So.... It turns out all the GD Standard models I thought I had are GD Scout. On the battlefield is there any practical reason to run a large number of GD Scouts or should I try and trade them for GD Standards?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 30 September 2018, 16:54:29 »
Do you mean the Miniatures?

I didn't even realize they had 2 different models if that is the case.

There has only ever been 1 mini of GDL BA that I recall.

Or do you mean in the campaign you have them on your roster?

I'd just use them as whatever you want.

As for using large #'s of them on the game board.

If your running a mission that needs Active Probes then they are a great way to blanket an area in probes.

But that is about it.

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #44 on: 30 September 2018, 17:45:20 »
Yeah the minis, IWM currently has two GD minis the Standard which looks like the GD Standard and the GD Legion which looks like the Scout. The weird thing is that GD Scout doesn't have integrated weapons but the mini and the artwork show an integrated weapon on the right arm.

Can they carry infantry weapons in armored gloves? So that they have some firepower? Otherwise Probes and spotting for indirect fire are the only things I can see using them for. They seem really good in a story driven sense, because they could enter facilities or ships and use their armored gloves to activate weapons and other tech, but that has zero table top application.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 30 September 2018, 22:18:35 »
Yeah, I find it hard to believe they made the "Scout" armor 20 years ago & gave it a modular weapon mount when the scout uses gloved hands & rifles.

That new GDL "Standard" is clearly the Standard but I don't see that as making the other one the scout when it doesn't look right to me.

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 01 October 2018, 16:03:02 »
It gets weirder, GD Standard was added to IWM in May 2008 and GD Legion was added in February 2016... I'll be running Legion as Standard for a while, but eventually I'll get some proper Standard and run Legion for Scout and Infiltrator (assuming Infiltrator doesn't get its own model in the mean time). If I take a hit on accurate models, I'll take the hit, but I'll probably use IS Standard most of the time to avoid that.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 01 October 2018, 17:44:32 »
The next game will be Nov 17th. Sorry for the long gap between games; had to line up my open weekends with Game Depot's. Scenario soon.

Tired of waiting? Go play in the weekly game at Imperial Outpost!  :)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 02 October 2018, 21:49:52 »
The next game will be Nov 17th. Sorry for the long gap between games; had to line up my open weekends with Game Depot's. Scenario soon.

Tired of waiting? Go play in the weekly game at Imperial Outpost!  :)

But but.... that's like.......on the west side!   :'(

I can't possibly be expected to drive that far.   ;)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 04 November 2018, 11:50:37 »
League Campaign Game
Scenario: Information is Ammunition

Scenario Basics:
BV limit: 7100 BV for 4 units (other unit counts have different amounts -- see rules link)
Carried Infantry: Count for BV, but do not count against the unit count until they exceed the number of non-infantry units..
Victory Condition 0 - Start the battle (200 SP) This is forfeited if you damage a building from the outside.
Victory Condition 1 - Occupy a building for 3 consecutive rounds (200 SP) You can only score a building once -- sitting in it for 6 rounds doesn't score any more points, nor does occupying after your opponent has looted it. If more than one infantry is an occupier, they can all attempt VC2 (but only score VC2 once per building).
Victory Condition 2 - Exit the map with an infantry unit that scored VC1 (200 SP) Halved for exiting an edge other than your home edge. This does not count as fleeing the map. Can only be scored once per building, even if you had two stands of infantry inside for VC1.
Victory Condition 3 - Destroy one enemy unit (100 SP) Crippled units count as half, damaged units count as one quarter.
Victory Condition 4 - Destroy half the enemy units (200 SP) Crippled units count as half, damaged units count as one quarter. "Half" is by number, not by BV or tonnage. Carried infantry that didn't count against your opponent's unit count also doesn't count when determining how many "half" is, but it still counts for destroyed units.

Special Terrain & Setup Rules:
-    The only allowed maps are Battletech, Open Terrain 1 & 2, CityTech, & City Ruins.
-    After the maps are placed, each player puts a building anywhere on the enemy map sheet, Player 1 first.
-    After the players have placed their buildings, the GM will place a 3rd building.
-    All buildings are 1-hex level one Heavy buildings.
-    Not all units have to deploy at the start of the game. Players may wait until combat units have made the battlefield a safer place for their squishy friends.

Not interested in a campaign but want to get a game in? I'll be bringing a few forces you can borrow, or you can make a new force each time just for that battle without worrying about the bookkeeping of a campaign.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2018, 10:23:32 by Joel47 »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 04 November 2018, 14:02:55 »
Sounds like a lot of swarms coming out to play.   >:D

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 04 November 2018, 15:58:44 »
I don't like that  >:D Hellraiser. What are you up too?

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #52 on: 04 November 2018, 17:22:19 »
Story Post
Loyalty, Marik-Stewart Commonwealth, 3126

Colonel Kartr maneuvered his Wolverine down out of the makeshift 'Mechbay of the Kavaliers' DropShip, the Mule-class "This Isn't My Job," and towards the garrison hangars across the tarmac. The rest of the his mixed company would be coming off of the DropShip during the next couple of hours, but for now it was just him, O'Corgley in his BattleMaster and Corporals Maeland and Konstantine in their Fulcrum IIIs as well as a platoon of battle armor sweeping the area with improved sensors.

He clicked his mic on, "Network check." Looking at a secondary screen Kartr confirmed that his C3 module was running and registering it's connection to the master computer in O'Corgley's machine. The two tank commanders quickly confirmed their connections were up as well. "We're in the green boss" O'Corgley confirmed.

"Very good. Konstantine, Maeland establish and start patrolling a perimeter, 'Corgie you're their overwatch. Coordinate with Lt. Sanderson and his 'Crunchies.'"

"WILCO. Where are you going boss?" O'Corgley's response made Kartr smile, the MechWarrior was a fellow Taurian from the Calderon Protectorate and the national disregard for rank was refreshing.

"The advanced party has a berth waiting for me in the hangar and our new employer is there watching the evolution. So look smart and pass the word, while I do the hard work." With that Kartr clicked off. This was going to be a good gig, working security for Kallon Industries grounside plant. The pay was excellent, they had an option in the contract that allowed them to take missions from the planetary government as long as the plant wasn't threatened. If everything went well he'd be able to afford another dropship, a military one this time, one of the new Seleucus-class vessels Kallon was manufacturing at the Nadir jump point. A good gig indeed, time to meet the client and start earning that paycheck!

Summary:
Due to the frequent raids between former FWL states during the first half of the 3120s, Kallon Weapon Industries decided to hire mercenaries to bolster their corporate security forces. In 3126 Kartr's Kavaliers signed a defense contract with Kallon Weapon Industries to defend the companies production plants on Loyalty in the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth.

Kallon's planetary facilities are focused mostly on producing components for the Partisan tank and Partisan AA vehicle. Given the low priority they allowed Kartr's Kavaliers to sign a subsidiary contract with the planetary militia to provide support.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 04 November 2018, 20:05:26 »
I don't like that  >:D Hellraiser. What are you up too?

Don't look at me, I'm not the one w/ 7 squads of BA in his TO&E.

Even with your Wolverine & 1 Squad missing the next 2 games it looks like the remaining 6 Squads are more than enough to keep things interesting this month.

Is that 3 Maxims I see on your roster?   Or is one of those the destroyed one & its only 2 remaining?   Either way that is plenty of APC mobility.

PS.  I think you over paid for the Drillson, if that is just the L1 tech 3026 variant then it should only be 250 SP.
PPS.  Your BattleMaster refit should only take 1 Game at Class-C,  unless you went Clan Tech with the upgrade, which based on the SP cost you did not.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2018, 20:08:07 by Hellraiser »

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #54 on: 04 November 2018, 20:29:51 »
It's two Maxims and a Maxim Mk II. The C3s replaced the field refit you destroyed in the last game. I do think you're right about the Drillson and BattleMaster though.

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #55 on: 05 November 2018, 16:16:38 »
Oh and it's 9 squads... 3 IS Standard, 3 Gray Death, 2 Marauder BA and 1 GD Scout 😝

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 07 November 2018, 10:24:51 »
Scenario edited - VC 0 is now forfeit if you damage a building from the outside. (The intent was to prevent deliberate destruction of buildings to keep the enemy from scoring points without penalizing infantry for engaging in combat within the structure.)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 07 November 2018, 20:31:02 »
Scenario edited - VC 0 is now forfeit if you damage a building from the outside. (The intent was to prevent deliberate destruction of buildings to keep the enemy from scoring points without penalizing infantry for engaging in combat within the structure.)

How is this changed exactly?

So basically before it was possible to damage/destroy the building by hammering it with Infantry Weapons while Outside it?

That is how I'm reading it so correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm trying to think of why you would want to destroy the building before you get your points out of it.  As points are bigger per building than the 0-Award

I guess if you somehow had some UBER luck w/ your own units v/s the enemies units & were able to get into every building on the map by Turn-1/2 & then stop the enemy from getting in there for at least 1-2 turns... and then when you leave on the 4th round of being in there, you drop the building behind you & deny the enemy all 600+ points, then it might be worth it.

But 1-Its kinda Richard-ish, and 2-That is some serious luck to pull that off more than once, and 3-Its totally against the fluff of the mission.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 07 November 2018, 20:34:53 »
Yeah, it's a corner case, but just in case some "Richard," as you put it, with a fast APC and some SRM infantry can't nuke a building out of spite.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 07 November 2018, 23:14:10 »
Okay, just wanted to make sure I was understanding what you were seeing.

I think maybe a Maxim-I with 4 Platoons of Foot SRM Infantry might have been able to drop a HEAVY building in 2 rounds of fire.

Maybe 3 Squads of Grenadiers in the same Maxim-I could also pull it off.

90 Point Heavy Buildings don't go down easy compared to our normal Medium/Light selection of buildings chosen for "destroy" missions.

I'd almost like to see someone try it & stand outside in clear terrain with infantry........ for my Plasma canons & Flamers to BBQ   >:D

/ticks off fingers counting the # of D6 damage that can be accrued in open terrain.   ;)

Register