Author Topic: The Outworlds Wastes  (Read 27350 times)

Offworlder

• Sergeant
Re: The Outworlds Wastes
« Reply #30 on: 24 July 2014, 13:30:12 »
Well ISP3 is a bit like the travels of Marco Polo. We know that strange, far away places exist, but cannot actually identify reality from hyperbole. Having said that, the periphery is nice for that reason because people can come up with all sorts of scenarios.

I think that Wastes are a great addition to players, especially those who like the Raven/Outworlds factions. Its easy to come up with scenarios like -

a) disgruntled Outworlders with Raven encroachment flee to one of the planets to create a powerbase to (hopefully) retake their Alliance back
b) generic pirate hunting, merc scenarios or prospecting
c) creation of mini states in the area

and so on.
Someone said that information is ammunition. Both are for sale at the nearest League outpost...and more!

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #31 on: 05 May 2018, 05:16:25 »
Hey everyone. Just posting here in case anything gets updated. Wynn's  Roost is stuck in my head now. I have this image of TH refugees bringing just enough tech to keep the world going and maybe mothballing  some TH militia military gear there.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #32 on: 05 May 2018, 10:14:34 »
I keep thinking it as place famous for best roasted chickens for some reason.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #33 on: 08 May 2018, 16:12:40 »
I think you mean Wynn's Roast. Home of a chicken-like avian life form with four wings and four legs.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #34 on: 08 May 2018, 22:07:10 »
I think you mean Wynn's Roast. Home of a chicken-like avian life form with four wings and four legs.
I'd be amused if the planet actually had chicken-like franchise like that.
Since the place technically still around, i'm sure that since it's hold over from the Star League era, that franchise would be called Popeyes.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #35 on: 10 August 2018, 12:49:25 »
Hey everyone. Just posting here in case anything gets updated. Wynn's  Roost is stuck in my head now. I have this image of TH refugees bringing just enough tech to keep the world going and maybe mothballing  some TH militia military gear there.

The whole of the Wastes was a few small changes away from being a decent Periphery power. Instead, it tore itself apart.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

wanderer25

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 12 August 2018, 12:37:19 »
The whole of the Wastes was a few small changes away from being a decent Periphery power. Instead, it tore itself apart.

Which make ripe for the right group of enterprising merc to remedy the situation !

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #37 on: 12 August 2018, 17:42:22 »
Only historically. The Outworlds Wastes fall apart during the Second Succession War. Its where raiding, pirates, failed mercs, empire building and everything else work together to tear everything the Star League built down and push them into a never-ending spiral of self-destruction. By 3000 the Wastes had hit rock bottom simply because there was nothing left to destroy.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #38 on: 12 August 2018, 18:17:56 »
By 3000 the Wastes had hit rock bottom simply because there was nothing left to destroy.

However, there was plenty to rebuild at that point. The Wastes in 3000 is a good place for an empire building campaign.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #39 on: 12 August 2018, 19:03:04 »
However, there was plenty to rebuild at that point. The Wastes in 3000 is a good place for an empire building campaign.

Funnily enough, I tried one of those. It fizzled largely due to my own RL commitments, but I had the premise if nothing else
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 15 September 2018, 14:58:57 »

I have an AU in the fanfic section where the OW is the center of an evacuation from Inglesmond and other planets realizing "time to get out!" It's a really nice locatoin for all sorts of AUs.

Register