Author Topic: Down at the holler--The Filtvelt Coalition Faction Page  (Read 33159 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Down at the holler--The Filtvelt Coalition Faction Page
« Reply #60 on: 07 June 2013, 17:30:36 »
looking at the MUL, i'm going t go with the following lance for the Filtvelt force..
CN9-A Centurion, PHX-1D Phoenix Hawk, WHM-6K Warhammer, HD-2F Hound

i have everything but the Hound. if IWM doesn't add a Hound figure before i get this force built and painted, i'll probably swap it for a Rifleman. maybe a -5D. or a Battlemaster -1D.. either would work. might upgrade the centurion to a CN9-D foundtech model if i do the battlemaster. i like the idea of limiting the amount of advanced tech in the militia forces.. helps give that 'backwater' vibe.
i'll probably go with more advanced vee's though.. light T-bolt carriers and Goblin IST's most likely. with foot infantry platoons.
« Last Edit: 09 June 2013, 17:20:57 by glitterboy2098 »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 09 June 2013, 18:32:07 »
hmm.. the MUL doesn't seem to show any, but is it too farfetched to assume that FiltVelt has bought some battlearmor for use by some units?

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #62 on: 09 June 2013, 20:07:29 »
Yea, I think it was in one of the JHS books that Filtvelt bought a battalion (or two?) of IS standards through mercenary contacts. I'll look at my notes tonight. There is no reason to think they haven't bought more by now.
Maker of big things.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 09 June 2013, 23:43:12 »
Maybe some old Infiltrator's as well? The Mk I's?

BA barely in name but still....probably could get em cheap from AFFS surplus.

Also, what about the MH Ravager? That thing was fluffed as being on the open market though the road trip to get there and back....
Made by HikageMaru

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 10 June 2013, 00:03:36 »
the lack of MUL mention, and the limited numbers in the source referenced earlier, make me think that Battlarmor in Filtvilt service would be more of a special forces/special unit thing for them.
(speaking of which, what would Filtvelt special forces be called?)

edit:
Filtvelt militia reporting: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,30249.0.html
i had a friend of mine color the Hound image from the MotW to match the description of the militia colors.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2013, 01:59:25 by glitterboy2098 »

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #65 on: 10 June 2013, 16:41:13 »
glitterboy2098, i like the way the camo shows in the mech. It makes me remember of this work by LKY13, with the adittion of two white bands to emulate the front of the Reise Reise album of Rammstein.

Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 11 June 2013, 18:10:30 »
Maybe some old Infiltrator's as well? The Mk I's?

BA barely in name but still....probably could get em cheap from AFFS surplus.

Also, what about the MH Ravager? That thing was fluffed as being on the open market though the road trip to get there and back....

one thought on battlearmor..

the Sloth. by the Dark Ages it apparently is still in use in the RotS, the fedsuns, and merc units.. with indications that production resumed (for some reason..)
since the Sloth is hardly a good design, the best explanation i can think of is that the sloth was being made for export/militia.. even the interdictor model is dirt cheap, and if you set those battle Armor ECM's to ghost target mode you can really screw with an enemy (especially since you have 4 of the things in the unit, and all 4 can be doing different things, according to welshman)
add to that the fact the suits could, in an RPG/realworld use, be used as improptu medevac/cargo units with the addition of a few simple external attachment points, and the design looks very plausible for a Filtvelt Battle Armor force. plus, since the suits are piloted instead of worn, one would imagine training people to use them would be easier too.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 13 June 2013, 15:54:04 »
sorry for the double post, but i just got Era Report 3145, so i figured i could share some of the great info form it.

going by the mechwarrior RPG section, Filtvelt's main languages are Amerindian (Creek), French, and Hindi.
Illiterate is also one of the first traits listed for Filtvelt characters, so i'm guessing that the education system is still Davion Outback standard levels..  :(

our elected Prime Minister is John Joseph Gardner.

a popular career politician originally from Marielund. he was apparently very popular as the governor of his homeworld (rising up from an early career as a district rep), and got elected Prime Minister on a platform of improving the lives of citizens, and on strengthening cultural ties to the Federated Suns, while retaining political independence. Apparently this was popular enough he was able to get public support for the Thumper's regiment of the Filtvelt Militia to be sent to assist the Federated Suns after the Combine's invasion.

the Coalition's worlds lost since the jihad are listed as having gone peacefully, of their own initiative. but the remaining Filtvelt worlds are described as having been afraid of Fedsuns invasion.. presumably right up until the Fedsuns started getting their rear handed to them by the Cappies and combine.

in regards to battle armor.. IIRC Filtvelt can get stuff off the Periphery general lists, right? so that would make the Infiltrator Mk1, Inner Sphere Standard, and Asterion as the main suits available. with the Upgrade (MRR) of the latter being available as well, plus the Ravager, Marauder, and Spectre. some of the TRO Vehicle annex civilian suits are there too.

using the same lists, the introtech LBX equipped -1R Slayers become the most common heavy aerospace fighter available, alongside the Jihad era Eagle and some Chippewa's. i have to wonder where all those slayers are coming from, maybe when the combine started retiring them, most wound up on the black market?

not really a lot about Filtvelt in Era Report 3145, though there might be some extra stuff i missed in the initial skim.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2013, 02:52:11 by glitterboy2098 »

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #68 on: 13 June 2013, 17:04:11 »
The Slayers could be coming from the Taurian Concordat (Wingman) of the Raven Alliance (UOC).
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 15 June 2013, 02:57:57 »
was looking at the MUL and Sarna, and realized the Slayer -1R isn't an introtech design, but the refit model with the LB10X from just before the clan invasion. i suppose that an AC swap is easy enough to do with the basic SL-15 that they could be from anywhere, but i still have to wonder why it is common enough to show up so many times in the Periphery RAT.
looking at the MUL, i also have to wonder why Filtvelt can make the Light T-bolt Carrier, but doesn't make the baseline Light SRM Carrier it is based on. or why despite the fact the Brokenwheel plant for Quikcell makes Pegasus hovertanks, filtvelt doesn't have access to them.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2013, 03:05:29 by glitterboy2098 »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 17 June 2013, 23:30:27 »
started a thread in the design section for Filtvelt variants and new mechs..

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,30517.new.html#new

feel free to add your own takes on the options.. i've uploaded two examples of my ideas.. a Toro and a Dervish.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2013, 21:14:35 by glitterboy2098 »

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #71 on: 27 June 2013, 11:57:43 »
Has there been any hints on what the coalition's National Symbol looks like? 
Junction City, Kansas (noun) a parasitic town that leeches off the sore underbelly of a local military base.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #72 on: 27 June 2013, 12:14:33 »
Here you go.

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #73 on: 27 June 2013, 21:49:15 »
I thought that was the flag for the planet fitvelt, and not the coalition.
Junction City, Kansas (noun) a parasitic town that leeches off the sore underbelly of a local military base.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #74 on: 27 June 2013, 23:57:54 »
It's both apparently.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 28 June 2013, 01:12:25 »
personally i'd have added stars in a circle around the central dot for the coalition flag. to indicate it is more than just one world.

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #76 on: 28 June 2013, 08:14:40 »
Does the Filtvelt Coalition use just there own MUL or do they get to use the periphery general list too?

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #77 on: 28 June 2013, 10:42:38 »
Yes to Periphery general.
Maker of big things.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 28 June 2013, 13:44:59 »
Yes to Periphery general.

In Era Report: 3145.

They had their own RAT in FM: 3085.

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #79 on: 28 June 2013, 13:56:12 »
I would like to see them put back into production some age of war relics. Like the TR-A-6 Toro, BKX-7K Battleaxe & HMH-3D Hammerhands.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 28 June 2013, 13:57:43 »
And the Mackie, can't forget the Mackie!
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #81 on: 28 June 2013, 14:17:39 »
I'm surprised we didn't see any primitive Mackies reenter production during the Jihad.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 28 June 2013, 14:35:53 »
Besides, they need at least a couple of quality assault mechs so the Thumpers can do their thing.  That Mackie-9H the TH had in TRO3075 was a solid assault mech in any era.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #83 on: 28 June 2013, 16:24:58 »
Mackie-9H, the Steiner recon mech of choice.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 28 June 2013, 16:28:35 »
No no no, Steiner recons with CGR-1A1s.
Sunrise is Coming.

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #85 on: 28 June 2013, 21:25:40 »
I have mixed feelings about the Prime Minister sending military aid to the federation. Why it would make relationships better, wouldn't it put the coalition in the dragon's cross hairs. 

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 28 June 2013, 21:45:09 »
I have mixed feelings about the Prime Minister sending military aid to the federation. Why it would make relationships better, wouldn't it put the coalition in the dragon's cross hairs.

Coalition is in the Dragon's crosshairs regardless. The Combine pretty much as a cultural institution can't really tolerate the existence of any other state, long term.

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #87 on: 09 July 2013, 19:31:17 »
Has there been any information on the Militia's organization? Are there regiment's built kinda of like a LCT? 

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 11 September 2013, 11:16:19 »
Has there been any information on the Militia's organization? Are there regiment's built kinda of like a LCT?

well, FM3145 has a bit of info.. 1st Militia has an LCT type organization, but using company sized elements not battalion sized. which i'd guess means they intergrate more, since that unit is regiment sized. they also gain initiative bonuses when using combined arms so i'd guess they practice combined arms intergration quite seriously.

the other units mentioned (2nd and 3rd militia regiments, the Thumpers) aren't described the same way, but i'd imagine an LCT type combined arms regiment using mechs, Vee's, and infantry is probable. Thumpers are very much mech focused still it seems, and have been expanded a lot since their losses in the jihad period. apparently the thumpers have been the go-to expeditionary force of Filtvelt, with the nation hiring them out to their neighbors for anti-pirate work (apparently they get a lot of news coverage around the sphere.. IMO, the wording implied to me they have a TV show of sorts dedicated to them..), and Filtvelt has been funnelling those funds into expanding and upgrading the unit.

Filtvelt itself is descrivbed as a finacinal and industrial 'powerhouse'.. quikcell is now building most of its range at broken wheel (but still no Scorpions or Vedettes.. odd), and the mech factory is described as being able to produce advanced tech units on par with anyone else, just more slowly. i'd guess our Hound mech is the best that could be built rapidly. there is also a facility within the Coalition making Endo-Steel!   :o
and Filtvelt has become a staple of trade for house Davion as well.
i get the feeling that a lot of the products in the Fedsuns are labelled 'made in Filtvelt"..  O0

the worlds we lost were due to politics, not invasion.. apparently house Davion honored its promise not to attack, and it was economic issues and propaganda stuff that convinced those worlds to leave Filtvelt for the fedsuns.

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #89 on: 11 September 2013, 13:39:52 »
Makes sense.