Author Topic: MHAF officer rank insignias  (Read 2874 times)

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
MHAF officer rank insignias
« on: 23 September 2018, 14:30:30 »
Salve amici!

Could you please help me to figure out which are the correct rank insignias for the MHAF officers? HB:MPS describes the rank insignias on page 159 but the colored section shows different versions. Additionally, Sarna shows another version here.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
Re: MHAF officer rank insignias
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2018, 17:22:03 »
Salve amici!

Could you please help me to figure out which are the correct rank insignias for the MHAF officers? HB:MPS describes the rank insignias on page 159 but the colored section shows different versions. Additionally, Sarna shows another version here.

Salve!

The thing is, after checking FM:P, the HB:MPS and Sarna, thhat....both colored sections and Sarna are wrong. All three sources made mistakes. In both books the insignias are described like this:

Enlisted:
Miles: No insignia.
Miles Probati: One Chevron.
Miles Gregarii: Two Chevrons.

Officers:
Legionnaires: A silver triangle with a black center.
Centurions: Same silver triangle, with a smaller silver triangle set within the black center.
Principes: A gold triangle with a black center
Legati:  Same gold triangle, with a smaller gold triangle set within the black center.
Prefects: A gold triangle, with a smaller gold triangle set within the black center emblazoned with a gold eagle.
Generals: A gold triangle, with a smaller gold triangle set within the black center emblazoned with a gold star.
Imperator: A gold triangle, with a smaller gold triangle set within the black center emblazoned with two gold stars.
Caesar: A gold triangle, with a smaller gold triangle set within the black center emblazoned with three gold stars.

Here is a personal aproximation based on both FM:P and HB:MPS descriptions:

Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2018, 20:24:39 »
Pg 95 of the Major Periphery States Handbook, the closest to official you can get, states the:

Enlisted
Miles Probatus is a pale blue-grey Chevron
Miles Gregarius is same but double Chevron

Officers
Legionaire is a pale blue-grey Triangle
Principes uses same color but as a small border, rest is a solid black Triangle centered
Centurion uses same as above, but adds a second pale blue-grey Triangle over the black version with same distinct border size of Principes
Legatus uses the Principes Triangle but adds a pale blue-grey Star in the middle
General swaps the pale blue-grey color for gold, keeping the overlapping the same
Cesaer is same as Legatus, but gold

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2018, 20:46:13 »
Which era? There were some notable changes between reigns. The roman styling originates with Sean Oreilly (the first to take the title Caeser). At that time, there were no insignia for enlisted men (Legionaries) and only five officer ranks, whose insignia were depicted in the second Periphery Sourcebook (I've attached a screenshot).

Julius expanded the rank structure after he took power, but the insignia seem based on the originals.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2018, 01:51:07 »
Thank you all for your answers!

It seems, that HB:MPS copied the pictures from the second edition periphery sourcebook, but states different descriptions in the text.