Author Topic: Periphery against Clans?  (Read 5203 times)

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
Periphery against Clans?
« on: 03 July 2019, 16:08:08 »
Is there any book that covers the initial stages of the Clan Invasion, before the reach the Inner Sphere?

I would like to play again some of these battles

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Periphery against Clans?
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2019, 21:21:31 »
It was touched on briefly in the Wolf And Jade Falcon sourcebooks.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2019, 21:45:20 »
The various early clan Sourcebooks should have information on them. The Wolf and Jade Falcon Sourcebooks, as well as the Invading Clan Sourcebook detailed the early fighting and should have some information on the Periphery, though for the most part its going to be pretty basic info.

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2019, 10:07:16 »
Just for my reference: what were the first Periphery states to be attached by the Clan and which clans were involved?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2019, 11:30:00 »
Kind of depends on how you define "State." There were really only 3 entities in the Periphery that ComStar put on the map as kind of nations.. The Elysian Fields, Oberon Confederation and The Greater Valkyrate.

Oberon VI fell to the Clans in September of 3049, The Greater Valkyrate in September of the same year most likely (Jade Falcon Sourcebook doesn't have the same details for the Periphery planets.

The Elysian fields didn't have a military, and was skipped over at first, and the Clans only landed on the planet after rumors of a Star League base on one of the planets cropped up. So you're looking again at August and September most likely.

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2019, 14:26:05 »
Thanks

The Greater Valkyrate seems for promissing for battle scenarios as they offered some resistance against Clan Jade Falcon

I am looking to recreate some of this battles at tabletop.

Is there anywhere (sourcebooks, novels, etc) where I can get the typical units used by both sides (Jade Falcon and The Greater Valkyrate)?

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2019, 14:50:23 »
Jade Falcon Sourcebook has some info.
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2019, 15:53:58 »
Jade Falcon Sourcebook has some info, but its pretty generic on opposing forces. 20 Year Update lists the generic mech unit names, but again, doesn't really provide much in the way of composition or supporting forces.

I don't think even the old 3025 provides much in the way of composition on their forces, so you may just have to sort of wing it.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2019, 20:10:48 »
I'll note that House Arano sourcebook has RATs for Auriga and Mercs/Pirates, and since those are minor Periphery powers, i'd imagine this Valkyrate has similar equipment-level.

They're very generic though. Basically anything in TRO 3025/3039 that isn't in mostly faction exclusive (like the Valkyrie or Vindicator). MUL's "Periphery general" circa Late Succession Wars works as well: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasRole=&HasBFAbility=&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Role=None+Selected&Types=18&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&Factions=57&AvailableEras=255&AvailableEras=256
(Limited that to BattleMechs.)

The Jade Falcons would be mostly using the original 16 OmniMechs, with some others, especially Clan secondline 'Mechs like many IIC designs.

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2019, 08:08:37 »
I checked the Jade Falcon Sourcebook and it has, indeed, some superficial information. One half of is about a comic duel between an JF Uller and a Phoenix Hawk piloted by a 95yrs old budist monk/former Kurita mechwarrior.

The only reference on the Periphery forces is the same old stupid thing on small forces of poor condition mechs. Some kind of dirtbag militia would make much more sense to me. Motorized infantry with field guns combined with ICE combat vehicles.

Any other reference is welcome. Thanks again you all

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2019, 09:19:04 »
RedJack Ryan's 2nd Battalion was destroyed on  Last Chance, while 3rd Battalion was destroyed on Gotterdammerung. That's mentioned on page 23 of the Jade Falcon Sourcebook near the bottom of the right column.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2019, 09:28:50 »
What about ER3052 having info?  We do also have a few BC stories- and IIRC Legacy included one about a single Grasshopper defending a world.

You can get some oblique references from Ghost of Winter, since the daughter of the pirate chiefs leads the pirate force in that book.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2019, 15:00:55 »
Von Strangs world was one of the earlier invasion targets.

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2019, 16:00:02 »
What about ER3052 having info?  We do also have a few BC stories- and IIRC Legacy included one about a single Grasshopper defending a world.

You can get some oblique references from Ghost of Winter, since the daughter of the pirate chiefs leads the pirate force in that book.

I haven't found these specific story on the Grasshopper but there is something there.

I understand the Jade Falcons were not bombarding the planets from space but instead using mech and BA units to destroy the military assets of the Periphery, looking a surrender just after.

Register