Author Topic: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings  (Read 48664 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
Re: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« Reply #330 on: 28 July 2020, 11:18:25 »
I thought I had already chimed in on the Kraken jersey but I apparently forgot to hit send.  I like how the Kraken is stylized into the S and the font.  I had a bit of a reservation about the anchor logo for the shoulder, but after further review (larger photos) the sky needle being part of the anchor makes it work. What I don't like about the jersey are the colors of the dark (home) jerseys.

I was hoping for something that would make it stand apart from the rest of the league.  The dark color makes it look like they borrowed the Jets or Blue Jackets palette.  I really would have liked something in Red or Green that stands out a bit more.  I give it a B+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #331 on: 30 July 2020, 22:47:16 »
Watching Golden Knights vs the Coyotes right now.  Man is it ever nice to see live hockey again.  Even if it is exhibition. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #332 on: 31 July 2020, 15:55:37 »
Watching Golden Knights vs the Coyotes right now.  Man is it ever nice to see live hockey again.  Even if it is exhibition. 

Except when you see that your team is pretty much the same mediocre team it was before the lockdown and will probably get swept in the qualifying round.

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #333 on: 31 July 2020, 16:11:14 »
Except when you see that your team is pretty much the same mediocre team it was before the lockdown and will probably get swept in the qualifying round.

Cheers, Gabe

True!  But my team, the Wings, won't even have the honor of sweeping out in the qualifiers.   We could have at least had that honor.  Guess it's something about a "historically bad season" or other....

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #334 on: 01 August 2020, 06:59:46 »
Im just glad for Hockey to be back, can't stand the other sports now
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #335 on: 01 August 2020, 22:38:10 »
True!  But my team, the Wings, won't even have the honor of sweeping out in the qualifiers.   We could have at least had that honor.  Guess it's something about a "historically bad season" or other....

OK, so the Habs are NOT going to get swept out of the qualifiers. But I still don't think they'll win that series.

One thing they do have going in their favour is that every game is now a road game for them, and they were stronger on the road than at home before the lockdown.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #336 on: 02 August 2020, 23:27:16 »
What's more impressive?  The 'yotes handing the Preds a 4-3 loss, or the Blue Jackets shutting out the Leafs?  Both were mighty impressive to me.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #337 on: 03 August 2020, 14:25:40 »
Definitely the more impressive of the two is shutting out the Leafs.  Despite their standing I believe Phoenix is the better team in that series.

Also both enjoy rooting for the underdogs and how fouled up the results of the play in games might turn out.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #338 on: 04 August 2020, 01:04:16 »
Well, my Blueshirts have a long road ahead of them.

:-\

Sigh.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #339 on: 05 August 2020, 01:46:03 »
Nashville had better luck tonight.  They could have had a shutout, too, had it not been for the last few minutes of Arizona pushing hard to come back.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #340 on: 05 August 2020, 21:15:23 »
Well, my Blueshirts have a long road ahead of them.
They are ahead of the curve I'd say on the rebuild.  They just happen to get paired up against a team that is just a step or two ahead of them in that department.  They still have a 12.5% chance of the number 1 pick this year.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #341 on: 06 August 2020, 23:23:37 »
So the idea that a 12 seed is going to knock out a 5 seed in round robin is a reality in both cases and Columbus is one win away from knocking out the host city's Leafs.  I'm going to sit back and enjoy the chaos.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #342 on: 07 August 2020, 16:58:28 »
And the Arizona Coyotes are in the Playoffs.   Nashville fought hard and tied the game up in the 3rd period, but OT went to the 'yotes, proving that they are in fact the better team.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #343 on: 07 August 2020, 18:25:04 »
I am elated that the Pens have been eliminated.  This will of course wear out once the win the number 1 pick in the entry draft.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #344 on: 07 August 2020, 18:50:33 »
I am elated that the Pens have been eliminated.  This will of course wear out once the win the number 1 pick in the entry draft.

AND WE HAVE AN UPSET!!!   ;D :D

And this also means the Habs can kiss goodbye to any chance at Alexis Lafreniere.  :(

cheers,

Gabe

EDIT:  and on Crosby's birthday too!  :P
« Last Edit: 07 August 2020, 19:04:45 by gyedid »

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #345 on: 07 August 2020, 20:31:18 »
Blackhawks oust the Oilers.  The upsets will continue until moral improves.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #346 on: 07 August 2020, 22:30:50 »
I can’t believe the Jackets let that one get away!!!

Cheers, Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #347 on: 07 August 2020, 23:19:02 »

Worth saying again, methinks.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #348 on: 08 August 2020, 10:48:09 »
Looks like the Wild are continuing their tradition of being ousted in the first round of the post season.  Even when there is a limited post season.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #349 on: 08 August 2020, 19:08:38 »
The Canucks are certainly the better team and I'd have been shocked to see the Wild beat them.  I have to say though that was quite an awesome display the Wild put up in that last game. The goals they scored were fairly amazing given how little target space Markstrom was giving them to shoot at.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #350 on: 08 August 2020, 23:34:08 »
The Flyers have grabbed top seed in the East by defeating the Bolts, who look like they've lost Victor Hedman in a pretty bad way.  This means the Habs will face the Flyers and try to avenge their 2010 East finals loss.  Not likely with this team but Habs fans can always hope.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #351 on: 09 August 2020, 23:14:57 »

Cheers, Gabe

They made no mistake on the second go  ;D Now it's my turn to be elated!

And with that, both hub city host teams are done for.  Hey, at least on the golf course, it's easy to maintain social distancing!

cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #352 on: 10 August 2020, 16:54:17 »
So by the time I finish we should be under 30 minutes until we know who gets the first round pick.  In the meantime time to break down our first round of the playoffs starting with the Eastern Conference

1 Philadelphia Flyers vs. 8 Montreal Canadians

Privately I figured that either Tampa Bay or Philly was going to win the qualifying round.  Montreal's only chance is if they shut down the then Pens and to my surprise they did.  Philly is a deeper team then the Pens and picked up right where they left off when the regular season freeze occurred.  I don't put whole lot of stock in Montreal knocking off the Flyers, but as long as Price is healthy then they have a chance.  Picking Flyers in 5 as I don't see them being able to rip off 7 wins in a row.

2 Tampa Bay vs. 7 Columbus

The Bolts are going to get revenge for being swept last year, but not until they get a bit of a scare.  Korpisalo has been rock and will need to be if the Jackets are going to pull off another upset.  Bolts are minus Stamkos and probably Hedman.  Tampa's depth can probably sustain them against the Jackets.  Jackets will go down swinging though Tampa Bay in 6.

3 Washington vs 6 NY Islanders

Washington, sadly, seeded right where I thought they would be after the qualifiers.  Either team could win this series and I wouldn't be surprised.  I'm being a homer though and picking the Caps in 7.  We might get one game decided by more than a 1 goal margin

4 Boston vs 5 Carolina

A replay of the ECF from last season.  Boston needs to find its scoring mojo and quick.  Rask is the difference maker in this one though as Boston comes up with just enough to oust the Whalercanes in 6 games.

Western conference

1 Vegas vs 8 Chicago

Chicago proved that it can pile on the goals in the qualifiers, but Vegas is a solid built team top to bottom with 2 solid tenders should one flounder.  Vegas has on bad game and one close game, but otherwise dispatches Chicago.  Vegas in 5.

2 Colorado vs. 7 Arizona

Colorado played a solid qualifying round and came out on the wrong side of the equation against Vegas.  Arizona won't be a push over either.  Colorado is top to bottom better, but Kueper will steal a couple games Colorado in 6.

3 Dallas vs Flames

I don't honestly know what to expect from this series.  Both teams have floundered the past few years come playoff time.  I know that Matthew Tkachuk has come to play though and that's I think has more going for it than Dallas does.  Flames in 6.

4 St. Louis vs 5 Vancouver

The Blues are in the worst draw they could get with the Canucks.  The Blues are going to have to grind it out if they want to get to the second round and even though they won the cup last year, Vancouver looked pretty solid in the qualifier so they are my pick.  Canucks in 6.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #353 on: 10 August 2020, 17:22:40 »
And that rebuild gets a nice kick in gear as the NY Rangers win the #1 pick.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #354 on: 10 August 2020, 18:00:45 »
WOOOOO

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #355 on: 10 August 2020, 18:03:15 »
At least it wasn't the Pens. 

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #356 on: 11 August 2020, 06:36:03 »
At least it wasn't the Pens.
I was worried it was going to be one of the Pens, Leafs, or Oilers.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #357 on: 11 August 2020, 18:34:45 »
I am curious to see what happens with the Bruins v Canes tonight as the Bolts and Jackets are in their 3rd OT session.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #358 on: 11 August 2020, 19:39:35 »
I am curious to see what happens with the Bruins v Canes tonight as the Bolts and Jackets are in their 3rd OT session.
they are now saying that the game won't start until at least 10pm est as they are now going for 5 OT and then need to fix the ice and clean everyone, wonder how much they are champing at the bit to play..  and how you you can keep up that energy level and not play
« Last Edit: 11 August 2020, 19:48:05 by DOC_Agren »
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #359 on: 11 August 2020, 19:53:09 »
So Bruins v Canes have now been pushed until 11am Weds... 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"